The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Keystep Pro
Old 25th August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEA ➡️
Any Keyboard controller appealing to a particular market segment will have it's own set of compromises. There are so many features to consider and a larger company like Arturia has to decide where they think the "sweet spot" is.

For more niche products with a specialized focus (and a neccessarily smaller customer base) you have to look at boutique companies. I'm quite intrigued by the Squarp Hapax that has just been released. But that is another bump-up in price. There's also the Deluge that's been out for a while.

For what you're asking - full size-keys - you might consider the Novation SL MkIII series feature set and see if it appeals?

Keep in mind that the size increase of full-size keys might be a turn-off to many KSP customers as it would make the device less portable. Arguably it resides on the borderline right now.

Personally I think of the KSP *as it is* to be meant for a half-way point between improvisation and sequencing. But of course people have different workflows and I can see how it would be dissappointing if you expected the scope and finesse of DAW sequencer.

I remember being dissappointed in all the limitations I discovered in my Yamaha RM1x a couple of decades ago. Then "I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb" This caused me to change my expected workflow and I used a secondary sequencer (Notator SL on an Atari 1040Ste) to capture and edit the MIDI output of the RM1x. This way I got the benefit of the "live jam" while being able to finesse it later.

So what would people like to see in KSP Version 2 ?
Same thing with me and everything: tailor your expectations to what is possible, instead of complaining about every little thing on everything.

My wife is the opposite: have fixed expectations and then be angry at everything when it doesn't meet them.

I know which one leads to more sustained happiness, but each of us is built differently that way. Some people are actually happy complaining all the time.
Old 18th September 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Been getting into the groove with mine recently after a few months of learning curve.
Old 18th September 2022
Gear Nut

I am very satisfied with the unit in general. There is some strange behavior though. Keystep is connected via USB to may mac mini (just for power). It is triggering external MIDI synths. After step or live recording the length of the track (last step) suddenly changes. Also if I change last step again it suddenly jumps back to some other value. I have no idea what causes this ?
Old 25th September 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Is there any news / changes for velocity control? Sometimes I would love to use keys with max. velocity. I guess this is something that is only possible with new firmware?
Old 25th September 2022
Gear Addict

Due to some goings on around home I haven't had a chance to sit down with my keystep for a decent play around with for weeks.
ICN
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ght ➡️
Is there any news / changes for velocity control? Sometimes I would love to use keys with max. velocity. I guess this is something that is only possible with new firmware?
I have a velocity plugin on my midi channels by default in live to go max when required.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ght ➡️
We need a fixed velocity option, which the KSP, doesn't have. My KS37 does, however, so it totally would be possible through an update to MCC.
Old 10th October 2022
Here for the gear

why when im in my creative flow, im in the middle of a jam, im feeling myself, and I just want to change maybe one or 2 notes in a 16 note sequence .. so I push and hold the button for the note I want to change, and while held I play the new note.. all of a sudden the entire sequence sounds like complete shit, like its trying to play only that note over and over twice as fast as before? just why. and then I go look it up on here and get sucked into the goddamn internet trying to solve this. and my happiness is gone. my desire to continue making music has abated. I am tired. great job, Arturia. this has officially made me decide to sell my KSP for good.
Old 10th October 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto Death ➡️
why when im in my creative flow, im in the middle of a jam, im feeling myself, and I just want to change maybe one or 2 notes in a 16 note sequence .. so I push and hold the button for the note I want to change, and while held I play the new note.. all of a sudden the entire sequence sounds like complete shit, like its trying to play only that note over and over twice as fast as before? just why. and then I go look it up on here and get sucked into the goddamn internet trying to solve this. and my happiness is gone. my desire to continue making music has abated. I am tired. great job, Arturia. this has officially made me decide to sell my KSP for good.
This is strange, I haven't encountered this problem. It's not that you are also changing the sequence length, too, somehow, is it?
Old 19th October 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by papadelicate ➡️
Been getting into the groove with mine recently after a few months of learning curve.
That really is it, isn't it? I've had the Microfreak since launch, and am still finding new ways to meld with it even now.
Old 19th October 2022 | Show parent
DEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto Death ➡️
Have you checked some of the more detailed tutorials? I Think there might be something about that in this Venus Theory tutorial:

Old 19th October 2022
Lives for gear

Does the KSP outputs all different midi notes when playing an arpeggio with multiple octaves enabled or does it only output the keys you play on the keyboard?
Old 20th October 2022 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Are you all expert keyboard players? I can get around if I'm playing in C, but it takes me a lot longer in other keys. It's insane to me that this interface has no keyboard transpose. it's been sitting in my closet praying for an update, I might sell it soon to fund something else. I really liked the ability to have multiple tracks to control different external midi synths (prophet, juno).
Old 20th October 2022 | Show parent
Deleted f94dd79
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdro ➡️
Are you all expert keyboard players? I can get around if I'm playing in C, but it takes me a lot longer in other keys. It's insane to me that this interface has no keyboard transpose. it's been sitting in my closet praying for an update, I might sell it soon to fund something else. I really liked the ability to have multiple tracks to control different external midi synths (prophet, juno).
Yeah, my old MIDITECH MIDI 25 keys controller from the late 90's has a keyboard transpose.

Unfortunately, I imagine that it sold quite well, so Arturia thinks people don't need that since barely anyone complains. Sometimes manufacturers are just clueless.
Old 20th October 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I keep expecting an 8 (or more!) track version of the Keystep Pro to get announced but so far no go. It is a quirky sequencer but overall I think it has proven itself over time and I think Arturia deserves some respect for supporting the product with firmware updates.

Everyone has their pet shortcomings, for me they are:
* The lack of "groovebox" quantization templates
* The Control mode blunder - the CC control should have been on a per-track basis and stored with the patterns
* Cannot specify which DIN MIDI output for each track

I also think Arturia missed a trick in not being able to synchronize "scenes" with another Arturia sequencer or multiple sequencers (be it a Beatstep Pro or another Keystep Pro).
Old 27th October 2022
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Guyz one small question
Let's say i have used 4 tracks for 4 virtual synth in studio one , now i want to control any other synths in the session ....is it possible or does a "regular" midi mod has to be used in one of the keystep pro track and switch to control mod ....?
Basically is the control mod is like having a 5th track with customisable encoders AND midi notes (via keys) or only encoders ...

Last edited by Jeezo; 4 weeks ago at 01:37 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Just got one myself here /...
I thought that switching from Drum to seq in track one would allow me to control a synth via midi channel one (the dfeult one) but it stops drum seq...(channel 10 on track 1)
Common arturia as imple option to have key's to play in a mdidi channel 1 while drums keeps playing would be great ...or by clickking control mode and having the keybords to fallow the midi chznnel by default !!

Just noticed that two keys are kinda nosie and have a kinda friction...is that comon ? does it passes with time or am i good for a replace....?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Guyz another question : let's say i have some partteren ect ...i save on project 1 , power off the unit , power on after , project 1 is empty now ?!!!! why ?

Isn't it supposed to be saved in the unit ?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
Guyz another question : let's say i have some partteren ect ...i save on project 1 , power off the unit , power on after , project 1 is empty now ?!!!! why ?

Isn't it supposed to be saved in the unit ?
Yes, it has flash memory on board, and that’s where you’d save your project prior to turning off. Silly question, but are you definitely saving it? If you don’t specifically do that, it will be lost when you shut down the KSP. Have you tried saving into different project slots?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Selling the KSP was the best move I made this year.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by igglebiggle ➡️
Yes, it has flash memory on board, and that’s where you’d save your project prior to turning off. Silly question, but are you definitely saving it? If you don’t specifically do that, it will be lost when you shut down the KSP. Have you tried saving into different project slots?
To tell the truth , i don't master the project thing so this might be a user error , it's so convolutaed in that aspect ...

Can't rename project , i created one in center , put it in project 1 on unit and it's still called project 1 (Arturia must step up their game in some areas , but so far a lovely unit !!)

the copy project thing is a shame also lol (inrcremental) and i mstill learning how to link midi set up to projects (basically i just want to do templates ....)

Question if you don't mind seems you seems helpful :

1) Is there a way to lower the velocity of a particualr pattern (for exemple lower velocity relatively of all my HH pattern ) ?

2) A way to change time division for only a pattern in drum mode (having Kick on 1/16 and HH in 1/32 for exemple ) ?

3) No way in control mode to have the keys playing a particular MIDI channel (to control a 5 track in daw for exemple) without having to use one channel on the KSP channels (1-4) ?

4) Copy / paste : step availlable .? (sorry for this one but just got this babay 2 dayz ago , but crazy how intuitive and fast it is to jam , it's non logicla only on some operations ....for exemple i would asume that pressing Track one and lower Velocity at same time would lower the whole track velocity : nope (same with pattern)....ect ..some stuff used to be logical in maschine ect ..

Thks a lot

Last edited by Jeezo; 4 weeks ago at 04:20 AM..
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by spnc ➡️
What do you use now?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Ok figured out all my question , this little thing is a beast , period ....once you master it it's by far the most inspiring keyboard since NI
To all skeptical people , do like me ....try it ....i 've read a lot of reviews mixed and as usual it's up to people workflow and excpectations ...

For my part im' all itb with it ...and want tactile fun ...and it' gave it to me big ....as simple as that

For those that wonder , yep you can do hip hop , Lofi ect ...with it , it's a pure pleasure to introduce timshift and randomness to perfect the impercfections !!!! hehe !!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
why? you needed the money? it was infested by lice?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by artao ➡️
- No. It can't send program change. It is a HUGELY requested feature. It's ridiculous that it's not already included.

- "Song mode" would be chaining. You can chain up to 16 patterns. Then there's scenes -- of which you can have 16 -- and each scene can have its own chain. Many people are requesting the ability to chain scenes.

- Syncing. What issues are you having? I've had issues syncing to external (to DAW) too, but did get it working right. Off the top of my head IDR exactly what I did, but it now syncs flawlessly. It used to fluctuate a LOT, as if it were sampling the incoming clock irregularly or something. That only started happening after the firmware 2 patch. ... Again, something others have had issues with too.

I'd say don't return it. It's quite powerful ultimately. EVERYONE is anxious for the next firmware update.

What bugs ME most is that it can't record pitch bend, mod wheel, or aftertouch. Not to mention the knobs. The whole "only one control CC track" thing is ridiculous. Again, being able to record all these (and have CC knobs for each individual track) are hugely requested features.

Artoa just got myself this baby after scratching my head between this and other alterantives ////
First contact was exellent and really instpiring but now i have been struggling with sync withing Daws ....(i now remeber why in never went back HW like back in the dayz lol )

Anyway Studio one here (i tried others also) /...

Basically i've put Sync in Auto mod to be able to run the sequences even if daw is stoped .... when i hit play in daw , it' start sequences but not straight on tempo , i have to stop KSP pro (no pplay pause) go back like 3 beats before loop and start studio one , ksp starts at next bar but sometime it's fukly sync , sometime i hear all sounds on first step !! sometime it's solid ...i tried all psissible , i went full midi in my ucx versus usb .... first it was way better , and then back to same headache ....

I don't know why it's random ...anyway when i have records some on daw , it's not points , i have like 18 samples decay , i once had it staright with midi ....
it's not that distrubing unless i have let's say the beat on keystep and bass played and recorded in studio one .... unless i record my beat on stduio one , the delay is really annoyng , i had to delay the bass track in stduio one ....

Anyway if you have anything in mid i could try fired it ....i grabbed this for Daw use , and start to think that this is the last thing it was designed for ....also i understand why al other makers made software controlled HW when it comme to sequences and arp ....(NI , AKai ect ..)

To be precise in studio one i created two devices on fro midi notes , and one instruments to be able to send midi clok to simply syn cthe thing ...
Wanted to try KSP as master , studio one i can find it ...cubase was a mess , and ableton was the same delay when recording
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
EDIT : ok i got it sorted ....

For those having sync issue , PDC is the big elephant in the room ....
Once routing is down right (sync , channels ect ..)
De activate PDC when working it will sync your pattren on ksp with anything in session pretty tighly
Once done , don't forget to re activate it before consolidtaing midi in audio .

Notice when PDC is unactive , metronome is OFF since he's still in PDC (an option should be great) ...(the built in mteronome comes super handy in that case) or now you know why we have the otion to bounce in audio the mretronome in S1 .

Hope it will help people around , worked all my life under sonar and this option is just near the transport !! in studio it's in the tracks option (a tick) super discrete ....was looking to do a macro on the bar but this is not on the list of macro command availlable ... easy to forgot the state we're in !!
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
EDIT : ok i got it sorted ....

For those having sync issue , PDC is the big elephant in the room ....
Once routing is down right (sync , channels ect ..)
De activate PDC when working it will sync your pattren on ksp with anything in session pretty tighly
Once done , don't forget to re activate it before consolidtaing midi in audio .

Notice when PDC is unactive , metronome is OFF since he's still in PDC (an option should be great) ...(the built in mteronome comes super handy in that case) or now you know why we have the otion to bounce in audio the mretronome in S1 .

Hope it will help people around , worked all my life under sonar and this option is just near the transport !! in studio it's in the tracks option (a tick) super discrete ....was looking to do a macro on the bar but this is not on the list of macro command availlable ... easy to forgot the state we're in !!
What is PDC?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by papadelicate ➡️
What is PDC?
Plugin delay compensation
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm also interested in why you didn't like and what, if anything, you replaced it with.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Update : best purchase since a while guyz ....the ability to pin point and tweak bass on a beat is worth the price alone , i use to modify bass start on samples to be in phase now i can time shift to taste , get the exact tale length , velocity on purpose on ghost notes ect ...stuff i would spend minites editing midi ... this is exactly why i bouth it ...and it delivers big time !!!
📝 Reply