The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Keystep Pro
Old 1st August 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEA ➡️
Lovely Jam - Thank you !

I was wondering what sort of make and model (s) of STANDS you are using for your SE-02, Nymphes & JU-06A and FX ?
Thanks for the comment

Nothing really fancy concerning the STANDS, mainly made of odds and ends! 2 stands bought on Amazon (both unavailable now):
- "Jelly Comb" monitor support (used with a small box to raise the SE-02)
- "U-kiss table", not very sturdy (https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Old 1st August 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo668 ➡️
I enjoyed that, cool jam. I am thinking of getting one of these.
Thanks! I think you won't regret getting a KSP which is quite a versatile sequencer/midi controller (just wished it had more than 4 tracks )
Old 2nd August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilJ ➡️
Thanks! I think you won't regret getting a KSP which is quite a versatile sequencer/midi controller (just wished it had more than 4 tracks )
Yeah, one is on it's way
Old 3rd August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
KSP 2 will fix that, and many other things, hopefully.

Sold mine as it didn't work out, but the concept sure has a potential.

If developed extensively by a company, not sure what Arturia has been trying to be doing lately hardware-wise.
Old 7th August 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Am I getting it right, it's still not possible to record chords for arp in KeyStep Pro? Even with FW update 2.0?
Old 7th August 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb ➡️
Am I getting it right, it's still not possible to record chords for arp in KeyStep Pro? Even with FW update 2.0?
That's right, you can't record chords for Arp (you can play chords in Arp mode and it will record the notes played by the Arp in the Sequencer, but you can't directly record chords which will then trigger the Arp)
Old 9th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That's right, you can't record chords for Arp (you can play chords in Arp mode and it will record the notes played by the Arp in the Sequencer, but you can't directly record chords which will then trigger the Arp)
Thanks.
This is very unfortunate for such a great product as it literally has so many thing done right.
Old 11th August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks.
This is very unfortunate for such a great product as it literally has so many thing done right.
and so many things done wrong... the design of the KSP is very limiting in itself, hopefully they will release a KSP II to include all the missing features you would expect at this price point but I'm afraid it's not gonna happen anytime soon. not sure really what they're trying to achieve with this product line. i'd rather pay 800-1000 eur for a real sequencer and real screen too with all the options (such as recording, programming, scaling features... which without a proper screen are useless because not practical), that would make it stand out in the market. as of now I feel like this is just a big toy, not saying it's bad, but it's not there yet.
Old 12th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spnc ➡️
i'd rather pay 800-1000 eur for a real sequencer and real screen too with all the options (such as recording, programming, scaling features...
Definitely it's not for you. Keystep pro has never tried to be real sequencer with real screen for 1000 eur.
303 was useless toy too.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Definitely it's not for you. Keystep pro has never tried to be real sequencer with real screen for 1000 eur.
303 was useless toy too.
303 at least was good at the only thing it was meant to achieve, and at producing a unique sound back then... apples and oranges can't compare.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindredlost ➡️
I use the Keystep Pro and the MRCC. I have it connected via a MIDI din cable for output from the KSP to the MRCC.

The KSP is on my rolling computer stand. It's small enough but still useful in that role. The use of it with the MRCC midi patchbay works as well as any other keyboard connected to it.

I also have the cv/gates out of the KSP to my modular so the spaghetti circus is quite the thing to behold.

What I don't do is try to run midi IN to the KSP via the MRCC. The USB port to my iMac is the only bi-directional port I have on it. Mainly for working with the software from Arturia.
Thanks- I set mine up same way using 5 pin din and works super as well!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
303 at least was good at the only thing it was meant to achieve
No it wasn't. 303 is shitty as slap bass emulation and that's exactly what it meant to achieve
Gear Addict

Quote:
No it wasn't. 303 is shitty as slap bass emulation and that's exactly what it meant to achieve
Okay, actually I agree I never used it and I use mainly vsts or recent synths xD but you got my point.
Gear Addict

Quote:
303 was useless toy too.
Your KSP toy doesn't even have the strum mode of the lower priced KS37... are you satisfied with your purchase?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Okay, actually I agree I never used it and I use mainly vsts or recent synths xD but you got my point.
Please stand corrected.

Quote:
Your KSP toy doesn't even have the strum mode of the lower priced KS37
You yet to bring what my KSP toy advertised and didn't implement. It never intended to be full fledge sequencer, strum generator etc and it's great as it is

Dude, cut your hatered and switch to 1000eur sequencers.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
303 at least was good at the only thing it was meant to achieve, ...
very interesting view on reality.

The 303 was (and is) hilariously bad at the only thing it was meant to achieve.

The KSP, on the other hand, ...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emorc ➡️
very interesting view on reality.

The 303 was (and is) hilariously bad at the only thing it was meant to achieve.
Visitors from parallel universe are real.
And I'm personally expecting complains like: Prophet 5 rev 4 can't 8-op FM; Steinway grand piano is horrible drum machine; 808 can't strum; Guitars can't detune two saws and than what in appropriate topics.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Please stand corrected.

You yet to bring what my KSP toy advertised and didn't implement. It never intended to be full fledge sequencer, strum generator etc and it's great as it is

Dude, cut your hatered and switch to 1000eur sequencers.
I don't care it didn't advertise it lol that's not the point, <deleted by moderator>

Last edited by Reptil; 13th August 2022 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: don't start a fight please. thanks.
Old 13th August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

to celebrate the joys of a (deleted) internet conversation, I want to quote this gem by a fellow forum member that discusses the alleged shortcomings of some gear ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine_Alicia ➡️
But but but!...
My microwave can`t make Toast and my breadmaker can`t do pancakes OR cupcakes either!
they`ve got settings for all sorts of other stuff, but nothing for humble Toast I`m entitled to that!

Ps, I`m only posting this in here just in case Kenwood pops in and reads this, because I can`t be arsed to go to their actual webiste and say something.
(there actually is quite some stuff that is really poorly implemented and quickly abandonded, the Korg SQ 64 comes to mind. In contrast, the KSP, the Roland 101/707, the Akai MPC/Force are imho all examples where the manufacturer put in a decent effort to make them work. Does not mean they are perfect of course (what is?), but they all deliver what they advertise, and have a good track record of updates)

🎧 10 years
I've had this thing about a week now. It's not a be-all-end-all solution for dawless sequencing, nor did I expect it to be. I have already encountered a few things I wish would have done differently, and a few that are surprisingly not there at all. But still, this thing rocks! The analog synths and this go well together. I will investigate my workflow options more, but my wish is to use this and tr8s as the groove construct layer, and once I get a good foundation going, I plan to just record both as midi to Fantom X and start to work on the next part with these..
Quote:
Originally Posted by emorc ➡️
the KSP, the Roland 101/707, the Akai MPC/Force are imho all examples where the manufacturer put in a decent effort to make them work. Does not mean they are perfect of course (what is?), but they all deliver what they advertise, and have a good track record of updates)
Yup, I own all 4 of those items myself too, and you`re 100% and I wouldn`t part with any of them either.
I did my basic common sense due diligence and actually Read the specs, watched the reviews, and asked around Before I bought any of them.
I guess that old saying that "Common sense isn`t all that common" is very likely true
Old 14th August 2022 | Show parent
M32
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just switched from a Metropolix to the Keystep, and i couldn't be happier.

The Keystep has the perfect balance of simplicity VS versatility. It really is a good bridge between a DAW and a performative, modular environment.

The Metropolix had so many pages, menu's and quirks. Really didn't fit my workflow. It's great as a centrepiece sequencer when your tracks are mostly dictated and driven by it's output, when you maybe have less understanding or purposeful direction of musical harmony. It does a great thing for happy accidents, but i find it hard to use within an external musical framework.

The Keystep is a bit less refined, but designed to get your musical ideas from a to B in a quick and simple way. They've really thought about the performative aspect and prioritised that over complexity.

Even the annoyingly small minikeys are still quite useful. Their velocity response is pretty good, which normally is one of the typical things of cheap keybeds. And because the black keys are thinner, even with my big fingers, it's just about playable.

Loving it as a sketchpad in the studio, and i'm sure i will enjoy taking it along for jams as well.
Old 15th August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 ➡️
I just switched from a Metropolix to the Keystep, and i couldn't be happier.

The Keystep has the perfect balance of simplicity VS versatility. It really is a good bridge between a DAW and a performative, modular environment.

The Metropolix had so many pages, menu's and quirks. Really didn't fit my workflow. It's great as a centrepiece sequencer when your tracks are mostly dictated and driven by it's output, when you maybe have less understanding or purposeful direction of musical harmony. It does a great thing for happy accidents, but i find it hard to use within an external musical framework.

The Keystep is a bit less refined, but designed to get your musical ideas from a to B in a quick and simple way. They've really thought about the performative aspect and prioritised that over complexity.

Even the annoyingly small minikeys are still quite useful. Their velocity response is pretty good, which normally is one of the typical things of cheap keybeds. And because the black keys are thinner, even with my big fingers, it's just about playable.

Loving it as a sketchpad in the studio, and i'm sure i will enjoy taking it along for jams as well.
The KSP mini keys are okay but still a mile of difference versus regular keys. It didn't annoy me at first since I wasn't using them lots, but as I starting playing more with the keys it became obvious. Just my experience, might not be everyone's.
Lives for gear

Quote:
The KSP mini keys are okay but still a mile of difference versus regular keys. It didn't annoy me at first since I wasn't using them lots, but as I starting playing more with the keys it became obvious. Just my experience, might not be everyone's.
Mini-keys have been around for many many many decades. My father owns an accordion that has them from the 1940s, I have several Yamaha and Casio boards from the 1980s that have them

Anyone who buys the KSP knows they have minikeys going in

Most people grasp they will have different actions than full piano sized keys

The Keystep Pro is based off the original Keystep they share the same keyboard and many of the same features

The Keystep is a run away giant success. Look at YouTube and you see them in use in many hundreds of thousands of videos

The KSP was never intended to go head to with monster midi controllers, or premium sequencers

It was intended to give users everything the Original Keystep offered and more of it

They kept the same keyboard, and same pitch and mod strips.

They took the same sequencer, gave you four of them, then added a few new extra bells and whistles

All in small package that is affordable and has good MIDI and CV connectivity
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasspikemusic ➡️
Mini-keys have been around for many many many decades. My father owns an accordion that has them from the 1940s, I have several Yamaha and Casio boards from the 1980s that have them

Anyone who buys the KSP knows they have minikeys going in

Most people grasp they will have different actions than full piano sized keys

The Keystep Pro is based off the original Keystep they share the same keyboard and many of the same features

The Keystep is a run away giant success. Look at YouTube and you see them in use in many hundreds of thousands of videos

The KSP was never intended to go head to with monster midi controllers, or premium sequencers

It was intended to give users everything the Original Keystep offered and more of it

They kept the same keyboard, and same pitch and mod strips.

They took the same sequencer, gave you four of them, then added a few new extra bells and whistles

All in small package that is affordable and has good MIDI and CV connectivity
"Cool story bro" and quite a few valid points I don't disagree with.

But still mini keys sucks in the long run, because you'd need another keyboard on the side. I'd rather trade for a larger KSP-like device into a single unit, rather than two.

The fact it's been selling at first was due to the good brand recognition of Arturia and success of the original Keystep (whose design is programmed differently, surprisingly). It was also due to the first mover advantage, and the fact there was barely any competition at this price point back then. But that was more than 2 years ago. And it surely has nothing to do with the quality of the product itself. You'll find more complaints on the entire internet (Arturia forum etc.) than of course (often paid/advertised) YT videos.
Lives for gear

Quote:
You'll find more complaints on the entire internet (Arturia forum etc.) than of course (often paid/advertised) YT videos.
I find people complaining on the internet about things that a product such as the Keystep Pro doesn't offer, to really hold no validity

You know going in what it offers, no one should have been surprised that it had mini keys, or only sequences 4 tracks, or any of the other silliness people complain about

There are so many resources online that talk about the KSP, no one should have been surprised

If anyone bought one with zero research and was surprised by anything, well then hopefully they were smart enough to buy from a reputable retailer and return it

In the MIDI Controller and/or Sequencer space there are so many options both new and used to explore it's insane, certainly people can find one they like, or do what I did and buy multiple units that each offer different features

Sometimes you need a wrench, sometimes you need a hammer, and sometimes you need a screw driver

But there is simply no need to complain about a screwdriver not being a hammer
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasspikemusic ➡️
I find people complaining on the internet about things that a product such as the Keystep Pro doesn't offer, to really hold no validity

You know going in what it offers, no one should have been surprised that it had mini keys, or only sequences 4 tracks, or any of the other silliness people complain about

There are so many resources online that talk about the KSP, no one should have been surprised

If anyone bought one with zero research and was surprised by anything, well then hopefully they were smart enough to buy from a reputable retailer and return it

In the MIDI Controller and/or Sequencer space there are so many options both new and used to explore it's insane, certainly people can find one they like, or do what I did and buy multiple units that each offer different features

Sometimes you need a wrench, sometimes you need a hammer, and sometimes you need a screw driver

But there is simply no need to complain about a screwdriver not being a hammer
Again this is a valid argument, not complaining.

Just pointing out what could be improved in v2.

It is what is for sure.
DEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Again this is a valid argument, not complaining.

Just pointing out what could be improved in v2.

It is what is for sure.
Any Keyboard controller appealing to a particular market segment will have it's own set of compromises. There are so many features to consider and a larger company like Arturia has to decide where they think the "sweet spot" is.

For more niche products with a specialized focus (and a neccessarily smaller customer base) you have to look at boutique companies. I'm quite intrigued by the Squarp Hapax that has just been released. But that is another bump-up in price. There's also the Deluge that's been out for a while.

For what you're asking - full size-keys - you might consider the Novation SL MkIII series feature set and see if it appeals?

Keep in mind that the size increase of full-size keys might be a turn-off to many KSP customers as it would make the device less portable. Arguably it resides on the borderline right now.

Personally I think of the KSP *as it is* to be meant for a half-way point between improvisation and sequencing. But of course people have different workflows and I can see how it would be dissappointing if you expected the scope and finesse of DAW sequencer.

I remember being dissappointed in all the limitations I discovered in my Yamaha RM1x a couple of decades ago. Then "I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb" This caused me to change my expected workflow and I used a secondary sequencer (Notator SL on an Atari 1040Ste) to capture and edit the MIDI output of the RM1x. This way I got the benefit of the "live jam" while being able to finesse it later.

So what would people like to see in KSP Version 2 ?
Old 16th August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEA ➡️
So what would people like to see in KSP Version 2 ?
A song mode and a classic pitch wheel instead of the touch surface.
Old 19th August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Security ➡️
A song mode and a classic pitch wheel instead of the touch surface.
That'd be good for starters.
📝 Reply