Quantcast
Arturia Keystep Pro - Page 20 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Keystep Pro
Old 25th March 2021
  #571
Here for the gear
 
Its been mentioned on the arturia forum that there is beta FW in testing with a fair amount of new features. I wish arturia was a little more open about it as some weird quirks almost made me want to sell it.

Im hoping chard/arp record to sequence will be in the next one, with the better chord mode from the 37.
Old 27th March 2021 | Show parent
  #572
Gear Head
 
I was told by support during our last back-and-forth that the arps to sequencer is for sure happening in the next FW update! No exact date, but ETA is "in the coming weeks". We didn't touch on either of the chord functions you mentioned, but at least we know the arp's are happening!
Old 29th March 2021 | Show parent
  #573
Gear Maniac
 
Looking forward to the FW 2.0, I bought the KSP exactly one year ago, still haven't used it yet lol
Old 29th March 2021 | Show parent
  #574
Gear Maniac
 
From the Arturia forum 2 days ago:


"Global transpose would have been great because now I have to buy a NDLR."

"Hello.
Global transpose is part of the next update.
The next update will be released mid/late April.
Best"
Old 13th April 2021 | Show parent
  #575
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Does usb midi actually work on this thing?

I’m trying to drive four software synths through Cubase 11 pro and no matter what I set the midi channels to on Cubase or on the KSP all the synths are playing when it should just be one synth per sequence?

I don’t see this issue on hardware synths either.
Old 13th April 2021 | Show parent
  #576
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald ➡️
Does usb midi actually work on this thing?

I’m trying to drive four software synths through Cubase 11 pro and no matter what I set the midi channels to on Cubase or on the KSP all the synths are playing when it should just be one synth per sequence?

I don’t see this issue on hardware synths either.
Hi there,

To get around this, you will need to use the input transformer on each track and filter out any other channel, other than the assigned one and you will be good to go.

So for channel 1, activate the input transformer from the inspector, set to global and then activate module 1 and from the drop down list, choose channel filtering PASS CHxx. You will do this for every channel, but change the PASS CHXX to the channel in question.

I attached a screenshot for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Arturia Keystep Pro-ksp-input-transformer.jpg  
Old 14th April 2021 | Show parent
  #577
Gear Head
 
So when is this out in black?
Old 15th April 2021
  #578
Lives for gear
 
JblKid95's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Anyone else experiencing a lot of latency using this in logic to trigger VIs?
Old 15th April 2021 | Show parent
  #579
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Security ➡️
So when is this out in black?
First they need to release a new firmware, because so far it's a disaster.
Old 19th April 2021
  #580
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
I am having some trouble with midi clock out on my KSP. If I am using internal clock, the clock passes out through USB just fine. If I am slaving it, it receives the midi Clock just fine, but it doesn't seem to pass it on via the USB output. From the manual, it seems it should do this. Anyone else encounter this issue?

Thanks!
Old 26th April 2021 | Show parent
  #581
Gear Nut
 
It was implemented in the new update, the function "skyp / jump step", respectively the possibility to choose a music fragment from an active sequence - in real time / see Doepfer Dark Time, GRP R24, Sequential Controller 960, Social Entropy Engine, Manikin Schrittmacher etc ...?
This is a basic function for real-time rhythm changes.
Keystep Pro has enough buttons to implement this function !

The Korg SQ-64 can do this / the "LOOP" function, but it doesn't have a keyboard!

Did Arturia manage to exceed this technical limit in the new update?
Attached Thumbnails
Arturia Keystep Pro-q.jpg  
Old 26th April 2021
  #582
Lives for gear
 
JblKid95's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Keystep pro was a disaster here for simple tasks. Sent this back and sold the novation slmk3. Probably going to try the behringer next
Old 1st May 2021
  #583
Here for the gear
 
Why do you keep postponing this blessed 2.0 update?
It's been a long time now, too much. It was said that it would be released in mid-April, we are in May and still total silence.
All this time waiting for nothing.
I would have bought the newly released korg SQ-64 first instead of hoping for an update from you instead of doing it now.
Old 1st May 2021
  #584
Here for the gear
 
starlily's Avatar
The lack of an update or any information about my primary controller has me playing less and less. Maybe its time to start shopping for a different controller for all my MIDI hardware? I had such high hopes, and if MIDI PC on scene change still isnt in this update (whenever it arrives) they will be dashed for good.
Old 1st May 2021 | Show parent
  #585
Gear Nut
 
EdenC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaioyoca ➡️
Why do you keep postponing this blessed 2.0 update?
It's been a long time now, too much. It was said that it would be released in mid-April, we are in May and still total silence.
All this time waiting for nothing.
I would have bought the newly released korg SQ-64 first instead of hoping for an update from you instead of doing it now.
They would also get backlash for releasing a buggy update, especially one labeled 2.0. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Old 1st May 2021 | Show parent
  #586
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdenC ➡️
They would also get backlash for releasing a buggy update, especially one labeled 2.0. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Amen to this. Just wait guys. It will be worth it. A proper experience, that is bug free, is what we are all after and patience will deliver this.
Old 1st May 2021 | Show parent
  #587
Gear Head
 
I’ve had two of these and they just have too many issues. So bought an MPC One and the multi midi works perfect for everything I need and just use my key step 37 with it. So much better with so much better capability.
Old 2nd May 2021 | Show parent
  #588
Lives for gear
 
sentokan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Are the bigger keys Arturia controllers as nice to play as the Keystep? Thanks!
Old 3rd May 2021 | Show parent
  #589
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmith ➡️
4. still regarding workflow, can I export tracks made within KSP out, and conversely, can I import Midi files back into the KSP?
I would also like to know this.
Old 6th May 2021 | Show parent
  #590
Here for the gear
 
Edouard Arturia's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
KeyStep Pro 2.0

Hello everyone
The new 2.0 firmware is now available.
You can now open the Midi Control Center, proceed with the MCC auto-update, and update your KeyStep Pro.
All the best !
Edouard

2.0 Update Manual: https://downloads.arturia.net/produc...changes_EN.pdf
2.0 Cheat Sheet: https://downloads.arturia.net/produc...atsheet_EN.pdf

Release notes:

KeyStep Pro 2.0

New features
Transpose Group: Tracks can now be grouped and transposed simultaneously (Trans+Track buttons to group tracks)
Global Offset: It is now possible to alter the properties of all steps within a pattern.
(Hold Shift and turn Pitch, Gate, Velocity, Time Shift or Randomness)
Arp can now be recorded in the sequencer in real time
Chord Mode: Chords can now be recorded in the sequencer using Real Time Rec, Step Rec, Step Edit, and Quick Edit.
Arp can now be played when the sequencer is stopped
Swing can now be applied to arpeggios
Mono mode: Workflow has been reworked for a smoother experience.
Step Listen: In Step Edit / Step Rec, pressing a step button plays the step
(Can be enabled / disabled via Utility > Misc or MCC)
MIDI Thru: MIDI Out 2 can now be set to Thru mode.
(from Utility > MIDI Settings > MIDI Out 2 or the MCC)
MIDI to CV: now supports Pitch bend, Mod wheel and Aftertouch messages
Looper Touch Strip can now be disabled
(Shift + Touch Strip)
Sustain pedal & Hold are now taken in account when recording in real time.
Steps and pages can now be copied and pasted across different patterns and tracks
Notes Copy/Paste: Copy and paste of notes within a step has been reworked for a smoother experience
Reload Project saved state: Hold Project + Shift to reload the project saved state from the Flash memory
Drum Mute: “Shift + Drum” now quits Drum Mute mode
Metronome time signature is now the reference for bar size and launch quantize
Nudge, Invert and Rand Order functions can now be applied to Control Track
Pedal MMC start / stops are now supported

Improvements
Various synchronisation improvements
Step Recording: Creating ties now moves the cursor to the next step on each press.
Chord mode: It is now possible to release Shift + Tie/Rest and keep editing the chord until all keys are released
Quick Edit: It is now possible to release the step and keep editing until all keys are released
Chains can now be created on the fly on several tracks without releasing the chain button
Switching between Pattern / Chain now occurs when releasing Pattern / Chain buttons.
Manually switching between patterns now exits Chain mode
Active steps now remain dim lit when holding shift for a better experience when using Nudge, Invert and Random Order functions.
Walk mode behavior improvement
Arp: velocity knob can now increase and decrease the arpeggio velocity
Arp Randomness range improvement
Arp: Keyboard now remains active when the track is muted
Arp: Added warning popup when reaching the maximum number of notes
Added a pop-up warning when trying to transpose Drum Track
Tap Tempo estimation improvement
Step Edit: Step values are preserved when going above 127 or below 0.
Control mode: Chords & Arps played when record is ON are now recorded on the selected background track

Bug Fixes
Real time recording: Held notes are no longer overwritten by notes played staccato when overdub is OFF.
First step gate time is now correct when slaved to Live through USB
First step is no longer missed on start when slaved to Ableton Live via USB
Velocity minimum value is now properly displayed on the LED ring
Chord mode: Notes above MIDI note 127 or under MIDI note 0 are now ignored
No more conflicts between the Looper and the Arpeggiator
No more conflicts between the tracks and scenes step colors when holding Scene
No more conflicts between the playback cursor and scenes step colors when holding Scene
No more conflicts between the keys LEDs when using user scales and Step Edit/Step Rec
Holding an empty step now shows the default note blinking
Enabling Step Rec now properly resets the cursor position to step 1
No more stuck notes when playing arpeggios and using user scales
Default note key LED no longer stays ON when entering another note
Arp no longer misses notes
Drum sequencer can no longer stop when switching between Mono and Poly mode
Key LEDs can no longer be stuck in the Drum Mute color after exiting it
Control Mode pattern 2 no longer creates conflicts with Drum pattern 1
Pattern maximum number of notes is now properly limited to 192 notes.
Drum sequencer no longer randomly misses some triggers upon playback
Velocity voltage is now properly updated when playing legato
No more stuck notes when transposing arpeggios
Creating a chord in the chord mode is now displayed on the correct octave.

Old 6th May 2021 | Show parent
  #591
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edouard Arturia ➡️
Hello everyone
The new 2.0 firmware is now available.
You can now open the Midi Control Center, proceed with the MCC auto-update, and update your KeyStep Pro.
All the best !
Edouard

2.0 Update Manual: https://downloads.arturia.net/produc...changes_EN.pdf
2.0 Cheat Sheet: https://downloads.arturia.net/produc...atsheet_EN.pdf

Release notes:

KeyStep Pro 2.0

New features
Transpose Group: Tracks can now be grouped and transposed simultaneously (Trans+Track buttons to group tracks)
Global Offset: It is now possible to alter the properties of all steps within a pattern.
(Hold Shift and turn Pitch, Gate, Velocity, Time Shift or Randomness)
Arp can now be recorded in the sequencer in real time
Chord Mode: Chords can now be recorded in the sequencer using Real Time Rec, Step Rec, Step Edit, and Quick Edit.
Arp can now be played when the sequencer is stopped
Swing can now be applied to arpeggios
Mono mode: Workflow has been reworked for a smoother experience.
Step Listen: In Step Edit / Step Rec, pressing a step button plays the step
(Can be enabled / disabled via Utility > Misc or MCC)
MIDI Thru: MIDI Out 2 can now be set to Thru mode.
(from Utility > MIDI Settings > MIDI Out 2 or the MCC)
MIDI to CV: now supports Pitch bend, Mod wheel and Aftertouch messages
Looper Touch Strip can now be disabled
(Shift + Touch Strip)
Sustain pedal & Hold are now taken in account when recording in real time.
Steps and pages can now be copied and pasted across different patterns and tracks
Notes Copy/Paste: Copy and paste of notes within a step has been reworked for a smoother experience
Reload Project saved state: Hold Project + Shift to reload the project saved state from the Flash memory
Drum Mute: “Shift + Drum” now quits Drum Mute mode
Metronome time signature is now the reference for bar size and launch quantize
Nudge, Invert and Rand Order functions can now be applied to Control Track
Pedal MMC start / stops are now supported

Improvements
Various synchronisation improvements
Step Recording: Creating ties now moves the cursor to the next step on each press.
Chord mode: It is now possible to release Shift + Tie/Rest and keep editing the chord until all keys are released
Quick Edit: It is now possible to release the step and keep editing until all keys are released
Chains can now be created on the fly on several tracks without releasing the chain button
Switching between Pattern / Chain now occurs when releasing Pattern / Chain buttons.
Manually switching between patterns now exits Chain mode
Active steps now remain dim lit when holding shift for a better experience when using Nudge, Invert and Random Order functions.
Walk mode behavior improvement
Arp: velocity knob can now increase and decrease the arpeggio velocity
Arp Randomness range improvement
Arp: Keyboard now remains active when the track is muted
Arp: Added warning popup when reaching the maximum number of notes
Added a pop-up warning when trying to transpose Drum Track
Tap Tempo estimation improvement
Step Edit: Step values are preserved when going above 127 or below 0.
Control mode: Chords & Arps played when record is ON are now recorded on the selected background track

Bug Fixes
Real time recording: Held notes are no longer overwritten by notes played staccato when overdub is OFF.
First step gate time is now correct when slaved to Live through USB
First step is no longer missed on start when slaved to Ableton Live via USB
Velocity minimum value is now properly displayed on the LED ring
Chord mode: Notes above MIDI note 127 or under MIDI note 0 are now ignored
No more conflicts between the Looper and the Arpeggiator
No more conflicts between the tracks and scenes step colors when holding Scene
No more conflicts between the playback cursor and scenes step colors when holding Scene
No more conflicts between the keys LEDs when using user scales and Step Edit/Step Rec
Holding an empty step now shows the default note blinking
Enabling Step Rec now properly resets the cursor position to step 1
No more stuck notes when playing arpeggios and using user scales
Default note key LED no longer stays ON when entering another note
Arp no longer misses notes
Drum sequencer can no longer stop when switching between Mono and Poly mode
Key LEDs can no longer be stuck in the Drum Mute color after exiting it
Control Mode pattern 2 no longer creates conflicts with Drum pattern 1
Pattern maximum number of notes is now properly limited to 192 notes.
Drum sequencer no longer randomly misses some triggers upon playback
Velocity voltage is now properly updated when playing legato
No more stuck notes when transposing arpeggios
Creating a chord in the chord mode is now displayed on the correct octave.

Great stuff Edouard thanks for the detailed update!
Old 6th May 2021 | Show parent
  #592
Lives for gear
 
three86's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edouard Arturia ➡️
Hello everyone
The new 2.0 firmware is now available.
You can now open the Midi Control Center, proceed with the MCC auto-update, and update your KeyStep Pro.
All the best !
Edouard
I still can't record pitch and mod wheel? I tried the new firmware and it doesn't work or am I missing something? I love this thing for cv on my modular it is perfect for me except I can't record solos where I work the pitch wheel. Or is that just not going to be possible because of the way the sequencer stores notes.
Old 7th May 2021 | Show parent
  #593
Here for the gear
 
starlily's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edouard Arturia ➡️
Hello everyone
The new 2.0 firmware is now available.
You can now open the Midi Control Center, proceed with the MCC auto-update, and update your KeyStep Pro.
All the best !
Edouard
Fantastic! But still no way to change all the patches on my MIDI hardware when I change scenes (that is, no Program Change messages). This is a nice controller and I really wanted to like it more, but this is becoming a deal breaker. Time to shop for a new controller I guess.

Lily
Old 7th May 2021 | Show parent
  #594
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by three86 ➡️
I still can't record pitch and mod wheel? I tried the new firmware and it doesn't work or am I missing something? I love this thing for cv on my modular it is perfect for me except I can't record solos where I work the pitch wheel. Or is that just not going to be possible because of the way the sequencer stores notes.
I see this request a lot, why do you guys want to record pitch and mod wheel? Does Ableton not record pitch and mod wheel automations when you record in it using your KSP?
Old 7th May 2021 | Show parent
  #595
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlily ➡️
Fantastic! But still no way to change all the patches on my MIDI hardware when I change scenes (that is, no Program Change messages). This is a nice controller and I really wanted to like it more, but this is becoming a deal breaker. Time to shop for a new controller I guess.

Lily
Correct:

"How to create a program change message with KSP ? The support team confirmed to me that it is impossible..."

"Ah, yes. The KSP cannot generate program change messages, it can now pass them through the unit, onto another device, from another device that generates program change messages, such as a DAW."

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=104583.45

It would be wonderful indeed, I thought about it many times but there are a lot of constraints, for example:
- These are continuous parameters while your sequences are steps
- Storing this in the sequences would increase a lot the amount of memory needed for each patterns
- It would require some proper UI to display those (not impossible but challenging in the current implementation)
All the best
Edouard


https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=107298.0
Old 7th May 2021 | Show parent
  #596
Gear Maniac
 
7 IMPORTANT REQUESTS (2 out 7 completed with 2.0 firmware update)

Transpose Arpegiator : OK !
Save Arp as a pattern : OK !
Program change : To program change external gear : NO !
Substep : A option to have multiple step in one step (to make drum roll) : NO !
Control pattern for each track : NO !
Change length note like the keystep pro. Hold a step and press another step to quick change length : NO !
Record Modwheel : NO !

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=102975.0
Old 7th May 2021 | Show parent
  #598
Lives for gear
 
three86's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spnc ➡️
I see this request a lot, why do you guys want to record pitch and mod wheel? Does Ableton not record pitch and mod wheel automations when you record in it using your KSP?
Same reason I want to record pitch, velocity and note length. Keystep Pro is a sequencer (like ableton) and it records what I play step or real time. I use it to sequence my modular vs cv/gate and other synths via midi.

Lets say I have a solo on track 4 if it can't record my pitch wheel then I have two choices either not use pitch wheel in my solo or manually play the pitch wheel the same way at the right time every time I play the sequence (which is not sequencing and not an option).

It would record if I play it into another sequencer but then why would I need keystep I could just get any keyboard without a sequencer built in.

I could see why maybe it isn't possible to record depending on how the sequencer is programmed because it is complex info or an automation instead of just a simple pitch, gate, and timing value for any given step.
Old 7th May 2021 | Show parent
  #599
Here for the gear
 
Edouard Arturia's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spnc ➡️
7 IMPORTANT REQUESTS (2 out 7 completed with 2.0 firmware update)

Transpose Arpegiator : OK !
Save Arp as a pattern : OK !
Program change : To program change external gear : NO !
Substep : A option to have multiple step in one step (to make drum roll) : NO !
Control pattern for each track : NO !
Change length note like the keystep pro. Hold a step and press another step to quick change length : NO !
Record Modwheel : NO !

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=102975.0
" Program change : To program change external gear : NO ! "

This is something we consider to work on for the next update as a lot of people seems to want it !

" Substep : A option to have multiple step in one step (to make drum roll) : NO ! "

It is actually possible, but you need to know the hidden hack. Using unquantized + real time recording lets you record several notes per step, but its a secret

"Control pattern for each track : NO !"

This is more difficult as this involves a big change in the code architecture, which would even involve to destroy the existing Control Mode workflow.
Old 7th May 2021 | Show parent
  #600
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edouard Arturia ➡️
" Program change : To program change external gear : NO ! "

This is something we consider to work on for the next update as a lot of people seems to want it !

" Substep : A option to have multiple step in one step (to make drum roll) : NO ! "

It is actually possible, but you need to know the hidden hack. Using unquantized + real time recording lets you record several notes per step, but its a secret

"Control pattern for each track : NO !"

This is more difficult as this involves a big change in the code architecture, which would even involve to destroy the existing Control Mode workflow.
Thanks Edouard - duly noted.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 3810 views: 349601
Avatar for pmboos
pmboos 30th December 2020
replies: 105 views: 16758
Avatar for Rev_C
Rev_C 10th August 2021
replies: 918 views: 48901
Avatar for aloud
aloud 24th November 2020
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump