Quantcast
Arturia Keystep Pro - Page 18 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Keystep Pro
Old 24th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy ➡️
It does integrate modular/cv control and MIDI (I have a KeyStep and a Pro on order).

However, the software that controls clocking and syncing has to deal with MIDI and the limits of reading and writing data in a serial manner. I did some quick digging on the net and couldn't immediately find where/why such lower limits exist, but the fact is the vast majority of MIDI timing code across a very wide range of platforms and processors don't go below that magic 24 to 30 BPM lower limit.

If you really want tempos slower than 30, you can double (or quadruple) your bar length and spread out the events that way.
I found this just now on the elektronauts forum ... is an interesting discussion on below 30BPM .. as indicated in the discussion it would appear to be more of a software issue than a hardware issue .. just FYI ...
invisible_acropolis
Aug '17
why not make 0.1bpm the slowest and 999.99bpm the fastest? Is this a hardware limitation or do engineers just think that nobody will need this?

anyways, the answer here is that yes its almost assuredly a technical limitation, although it may be more on the software side of things…

because I think the Synthstrom deluge sequencer can go all the way from 0bpm up to something like 10,000 bpm? its a crazy one

i guess you need to buy one of those

Deluge by Synthstrom Audible (Walkthrough Part 3)
Old 25th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Here is an example of driving the keystep pro at 5 bpm using a 10 bpm clock input from pamela divided down to 2 beats per quarter and a 1/4 note length.. Just FYI

https://youtu.be/NyNlZIsaHrs
Old 25th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
OK here we are at 1 BPM !!!
https://youtu.be/UoPTBsXZCTg
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hello guys.
A new update is available:

KeyStep Pro
Version 1.3.7

Release Notes:

- STM USB driver improvements: MIDI messages like Notes ON/OFF can no longer be inverted

- Synced devices are no longer out of sync when synchronised with clock resolution under 24PPQ

- No more stuck notes after pressing several times the same note and releasing Hold or the sustain pedal

- KeyStep Pro can no longer be stuck in Vegas mode

- Transposition is no longer corrupted after switching from Arp to Seq

- In Step Record, the sequence now properly steps forward when notes are received from an external MIDI controller

- KeyStep Pro no longer starts when receiving a start message from Ableton Live when Sync Source is set to Internal or Sync

- MMC messages are now supported

- Reset Factory now resets the clock output type

- Octave display now matches between keys and pitch encoder.

- Metronome Time Divisions values are now correct in the Utility menu
Old 26th November 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
No "Swing" mode..?
Old 26th November 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Question: can you set note priority for the CV/Gate outputs?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edouard Arturia ➡️
Hello guys.

KeyStep Pro
Version 1.3.7

Release Notes:

- STM USB driver improvements: MIDI messages like Notes ON/OFF can no longer be inverted

- Synced devices are no longer out of sync when synchronised with clock resolution under 24PPQ

- No more stuck notes after pressing several times the same note and releasing Hold or the sustain pedal

- In Step Record, the sequence now properly steps forward when notes are received from an external MIDI controller

- KeyStep Pro no longer starts when receiving a start message from Ableton Live when Sync Source is set to Internal or Sync

Thanks so much Edouard! It is always nice to see the KSP get better!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
No "Swing" mode..?
='(
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Good to see new firmware, but, still no global transpose??? I have my KSP in the cupboard for months waiting for this... even my son toy piano can transpose
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
='(
While I get the intended joke, it is a sensitive subject. I feel badly for you guys at Arturia. Not cool at all.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hello guys.

KeyStep Pro
Version 1.3.7

Release Notes:

cool!!

Do you know when the 2 DIN midi out ports will become individually addresseable?
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol ➡️
cool!!

Do you know when the 2 DIN midi out ports will become individually addresseable?
+1
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hello guys.

KeyStep Pro
Version 1.3.7

Release Notes:

What's so complicated about implementing global transpose? Is this because the KSP is not designed the same way as the KS? Also please don't forget to add the key shortcut Shift + Key to assign the channels without menu diving just like the KS: https://www.arturia.com/faq/keystep/...function-chart

Both would be a nice Xmas present Edouard Keep it up we trust you!
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hello !
Global Transpose will be available in the next update we are currently preparing.
Best
Edouard
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hello !
Global Transpose will be available in the next update we are currently preparing.
Best
Edouard
I am also really hopeful for velocity value settings, in the utility menu?

This goes without mentioning... but arps and chord memory, in the sequencer?
Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hello !
Best
Edouard
Great news... looking forward to 2.0 update indeed
Old 8th December 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have a question that I hope a KSP owner can answer for me. I see that it has an analog sync input, with a multitude of options.
I am really hopefully I can use it to trigger the steps of the sequencer one at a time using a trigger or gate signal of some kind. Something like around 1:30 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfKzHpsQkxo

Does anyone know if this is possible? If you set it to 1PP4Q, that should be one pulse per 4 quarter beats (1 pulse per beat, right?). Could you just feed it a gate or trigger signal?

If anyone has a moment to try this with theirs, that would be amazing.

To be clear, I am hoping for a way to advance the steps manually - with a drum pad or an audio signal that I convert to trigger or gate. Thanks!
Old 8th December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjc ➡️
I have a question that I hope a KSP owner can answer for me. I see that it has an analog sync input, with a multitude of options.
I am really hopefully I can use it to trigger the steps of the sequencer one at a time using a trigger or gate signal of some kind. Something like around 1:30 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfKzHpsQkxo

Does anyone know if this is possible? If you set it to 1PP4Q, that should be one pulse per 4 quarter beats (1 pulse per beat, right?). Could you just feed it a gate or trigger signal?

If anyone has a moment to try this with theirs, that would be amazing.

To be clear, I am hoping for a way to advance the steps manually - with a drum pad or an audio signal that I convert to trigger or gate. Thanks!
https://youtu.be/UoPTBsXZCTg
Old 8th December 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks! That looks promising, However it does differ slightly from what I would like to do. I wouldn't be sending it a sync pulse, but a series of triggers or gates. Do you know if those would work to advance the sequencer in the same way? And do you know if it would be able to handle something more sporadic, rather than a steady tempo? It would certainly be more frequent than every 60 seconds.

It seems like that is your demo? I am wondering about not being able to adjust the gate time to be longer than 360ms - see here at 1:20:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyNlZIsaHrs

Does that mean all steps will have to be short notes? Is that referring to the arpeggiator's overall gate setting, or the gate lengths of each individual sequencer note, or both? If you make a sequence with notes that hold for longer, does it just shorten them automatically or something? And does that apply to midi as well, or just to the individual gate outputs?

Thanks!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Ok this is exactly what I'm talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owNcHdpRo_Y
It appears you can do it on the Keystep, but it's not clear you can on the Keystep pro. Could someone confirm?

I would also love to know if it preserves the gate lengths too - as he shows when he plays the pads at 1:30.

It would be weird if the original Keystep could do it, but the Pro couldn't, but I have been through the whole manual and there is no mention of it. Thanks!
roc
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hello !
Best
Edouard
Hi , it's really really crazy that the Key Step Pro can't record it's own Arp .
Are you telling me that to record the KSP Arp , I have to use another sequencer , when one is built-in right in front of you ?

It feels so unnatural to hit arp , play a chord , hear goodness , hit record and it records nothing .

This is a must have feature it really must have , I just can't believe it can't do that.

And arp notes recorded in the sequencer should be able to be transposed .

Another point: you shouldn't have to hold the transpose button down to transpose , it should be click it on/off one hit , that free's you up to do other things wile playing .

Another point or request : Can you add true chord memory , where you play a chord on the KSP and save it to a bank of other chords you saved that can then be trigger by playing one key and then record that chord progression into the sequencer .

Ok Last one : Please add a one shot trigger , where you can trigger the sequencer to play as long as you hold a key down and it STOPS when you release the key , it's a really cool feature to have .

Thanks

Last edited by roc; 9th December 2020 at 01:18 AM..
Old 9th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ok this is exactly what I'm talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owNcHdpRo_Y
It appears you can do it on the Keystep, but it's not clear you can on the Keystep pro. Could someone confirm?

I would also love to know if it preserves the gate lengths too - as he shows when he plays the pads at 1:30.

It would be weird if the original Keystep could do it, but the Pro couldn't, but I have been through the whole manual and there is no mention of it. Thanks!
Hi there, not sure if this is what you are talking about, but in that video, you will see he is using the drum gate outs on the Beatstep Pro, to alter the sequence made, on the Keystep. The Keystep Pro also has drum gate outs and this is what I use, to alter the sequence on my SH-01A. I take the drum gate out of the Keystep Pro, to the EXT CLK IN on the SH-01A and alter it this way. It should be identical on any synth that takes a clock input. Just take one of the gate outputs of the Keystep Pro and you are good.
Old 9th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the reply. I’m actually looking to do the opposite, to take the gate out of something else (a variety of things actually) and use it to advance the keystep pro sequencer step-by-step (instead of tempo sync). In the video I posted the keystep pro would replace the original keystep, not the beatstep pro. If anyone has tried this please give a shout. Thanks!
Old 10th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I’m actually looking to do the opposite, to take the gate out of something else (a variety of things actually) and use it to advance the keystep pro sequencer step-by-step (instead of tempo sync). In the video I posted the keystep pro would replace the original keystep, not the beatstep pro. If anyone has tried this please give a shout. Thanks!
Replying to myself here for anyone else who may be interested. I've been in touch with Léo at Artutia. Apparently, KSP and the original Keystep work differently in this respect.

Keystep sync input is entirely analog and advances the sequencer one step at a time in 1 pulse per step mode. The KSP digitally averages the incoming pulses to produce a tempo.

This is essential for features like the time shift knob (without a tempo to base it on, it can't shift timing of a note before the step) and, if it is possible to add the feature, time shift would likely have to be disabled in that mode (totally fine with me).

The gate knob might have to be overridden by the incoming gate signal length as well (or at least that's how I'd prefer it to work).

He is putting in a feature request for this, but no guarantees. Fingers crossed in any case.

For my purposes, I would probably be happy with the original Keystep, but it doesn't have the "rand notes" button, as what I am looking for is something that combines the "rand notes" with scale quantization and manual/external advance of the sequencer.
Old 13th December 2020
Gear Nut

Edouard Arturia,
When will the skyp / jump step function be implemented, respectively the possibility to choose a music fragment from an active sequence - in real time / see Doepfer Dark Time, GRP R24, Sequential Controller 960, Social Entropy Engine, Manikin Schrittmacher etc ...?

This is a basic function for real-time rhythm changes.

KeyStep Pro has enough buttons to implement this function, only the will of Arturia to be !
Attached Thumbnails
Arturia Keystep Pro-q.jpg  
Old 23rd December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For people owning Akai Force:
If owning the Force, will Keystep Pro sequencing bring anything worth to the table or it's no point in acquiring it?
Thanks!
Old 24th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambeste ➡️
Edouard Arturia,
When will the skyp / jump step function be implemented, respectively the possibility to choose a music fragment from an active sequence - in real time / see Doepfer Dark Time, GRP R24, Sequential Controller 960, Social Entropy Engine, Manikin Schrittmacher etc ...?

This is a basic function for real-time rhythm changes.

KeyStep Pro has enough buttons to implement this function, only the will of Arturia to be !

It seems that this possibility of real-time sequencing of "steps" was "solved" (via the SQ-64 Sequencer) with the help of Korg engineers, who correctly understood the need for different sequencing functions, so that users could generate rhythmic structures specific to different musical genres!
I'm sorry Arturia, this function could be implemented in Keystep Pro / because it has a more than generous interface, but this depends on the understanding of the sequencing needs (relative to the music genres), by Arturia developers !
Old 26th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If owning the Akai Force, will the Keystep Pro bring anything of value to the table as sequencing goes?
(Except the keys)
Old 27th December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Chords & Strum

Hi all,

I´m about to buy a Keystep Pro, and I´m wondering if anyone knows if Strum and Chords like exists on Keystep 37 will ever come to the pro via firmware Upgrade. This is a huge feature to me, but would really like the pro to combine some synths together.

Thanks
Old 28th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel82 ➡️
Hi all,

I´m about to buy a Keystep Pro, and I´m wondering if anyone knows if Strum and Chords like exists on Keystep 37 will ever come to the pro via firmware Upgrade. This is a huge feature to me, but would really like the pro to combine some synths together.

Thanks
I have been wondering this exact thing. I asked officially and I was told both controllers are made by two totally separate teams, so there is no guarantee that features will carry over from one, to the other. I was told however, that the request has been made,that there is interest in this happening.

I would really recommend you do the same and contact support and let them know that you would like to see this feature from the key step 37, put into the key step Pro. The more interest shown, the higher the chances of this happening, especially since they are refining and working on a big firmware update, at the moment.
📝 Reply