Quantcast
Korg ms20 fs going back into production - Page 28 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg ms20 fs going back into production
Old 16th June 2021
meh
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
After a bunch of tweaking I've gotten them to sound pretty close to the same. The green is still a bit brighter and it still has a more prominent midrange. leads sound way creamier and beefier on it, due to the midrange i suspect, making the blue's lead sound thinner by comparison. But basses sound better on my blue still. Perceptably the green still seems less bassy, due to the midrange I guess, altho my spec analyzer shows the bass is there. These can besubtle or extreme differences depending on settings. High resonance at 2 to 4 o clock cutoff will sound terribly midrangey and it can’t be replicated on the blue which sounds better.

Last edited by meh; 16th June 2021 at 08:45 PM..
Old 16th June 2021 | Show parent
meh
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock ➡️
I love my B K2. Both filters, not stuck on MIDI channel 1, no silly keyboard and cheap as chips.
I was never able to stand the sound of it. Way too bright and lacking low end compared to mini and OG from all the demos I heard. Its the only clone I think behringer truly failed in replicating. Their minimoog is great. Plus for me I despise modules anyway. I'll take the whole classic package in one, please. Warts and all. Cheap keybeds are very.... Korg. If ya love it for what it is, than it is what it is.

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to pay this kind of money. But if you're a hardcore ms 20 lover like myself, (waited a decade to be able to afford one/have a reliable one), nothing else will do. Perhaps it's really made for those people. People that are in love with this synth. They're the only ones who really should pay this much. Others will be happy with the mini. Did I pay more than I feel I should have had to for the build quality? Yes. Was it "cheap" enough that it was worth it anyway? Absolutely! I plan on bringing it to the grave. So for a lifetime of enjoyment,1400 bucks isn't that much money in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited by meh; 20th June 2021 at 01:06 PM..
Old 16th June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh ➡️
I was never able to stand the sound of it. Way too trebly and lacking bass compared to mini and OG from all the demos I heard. Its the only clone I think behringer truly failed in replicating. Their minimoog is great. Plus for me I despise modules anyway. I'll take the whole classic package in one, please. Warts and all. Cheap keybeds are very.... Korg. If ya love it for what it is, than it is what it is.

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to pay this kind of money. But if you're a hardcore ms 20 lover like myself, (waited a decade to be able to afford one/have a reliable one), nothing else will do. Perhaps it's really made for those people. People that are in love with this synth. They're the only ones who really should pay this much. Others will be happy with the mini. Did I pay more than I feel I should have had to for the build quality? Yes. Was it "cheap" enough that it was worth it anyway? Absolutely! I plan on bringing it to the grave. So for a lifetime of enjoyment,1400 bucks isn't that much money in the grand scheme of things.
Well, we're all different. The FS looks decent but Korg are overcharging really. Korg are just taking the piss with their reissue stuff. They can get it right when they want to, their 'logue series is well made and competitively priced.

I find the K2 very satisfying. Online demos only tell part of the story really. When I got my hands on the K2 I could soon tell it does the job. There's plenty of bass when tweaked right. I paid "toy money" for it and it feels more than that. None of these modern recreations are quite the same as the OG, and I've got an MS10 for a bit of that flavour.
Old 19th June 2021
meh
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Now I'm making myself crazy trying to decide which one I like better. I've been tweakin for 3 days unable to figure it out. Sometimes this one sounds this way, then that one sounds that way... Ugh...
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Has anyone tried this “kit version” feature from the second post on this page on the FS reissue?

Quote:
Anyway, to change MIDI channels:
1. Check no patch cables are connected
2. With the MS20 turned off, connect a cable to the OUT jack on the VCA, but do not connect the other end to anything.
3. Hold down the TRIG SW button and turn the MS20 on.
4. The Standby LED should be blinking. Press the TRIG SW the same number of times as the desired MIDI channel i.e. once for channel 1, sixteen times for channel 16. If you press it more than 16 times the channel is set to 16. The LED will blink for the channel number e.g. on on on off for channel 3.
5. If you are happy the correct channel is chosen, disconnect the cable from the VCA jack. The channel is saved and the will turn off.
6. Turn the MS20 on again and you're good to go.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The LED doesn't blink with a cable in VCA out and holding the switch when turning the synth on, so I assume this is something they only added for the module version.
Lives for gear

Will have to try with my MS-20Kit (keybed version),
but it means disconnecting my patch cables.....
....so sometime next year

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
He's back:

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Why do you post this ****?
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock ➡️
He's back:

Ah. I had this concern, but thankfully I had one of these to put it on, which also works to dangle patch cables on: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-shelf-36-inch
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_ ➡️
Why do you post this ****?
He has a good point to make about the case design. I've had the same problem with my MS10. I've got a 1.5" lip on my shelf that just about stops it sliding off.
📝 Reply