Quantcast
New korg wavestate... - Page 125 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New korg wavestate...
Old 6 days ago
Really hoping that the editor makes good sense of it all and standardizes a few things like interface navigation. Just a few too many inconsistencies to be thoroughly enjoyable as is.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Can you not have the Wavestate load up to the last performance you were on?

Why does it always load Dbl whatever it is?
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resogun ➡️

It's the A1 Performance in the default Set List. I haven't played with the Set Lists yet, and I'm not sure how you'd specify one to load on start. If it's like the Performances, I suppose the only way will be make it the first to come up alphabetically.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resogun ➡️

Yes, there are two options for startup: the last Performance, or the first slot in the currently loaded Set List.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustAmerican ➡️
Really hoping that the editor makes good sense of it all and standardizes a few things like interface navigation. Just a few too many inconsistencies to be thoroughly enjoyable as is.
While it wasn't super intuitive and required a fair amount of clicking, I found the original Wavestation VST workable (in fact my experience with it was the reason I bought the Wavestate in the first place!)

In my dreams I think the editor would effectively be skinned like a standalone Wavestate VST with added library management capabilities, but given its semi-late announcement that's probably a little too much to hope for.

Hopefully some of you are beta testing it now!
Old 5 days ago
I also own the original vst. Purchased the MS-20. Monopoly and the Wavetstation vst's when they first came out all those years ago. In fact, I just recently got them working again on my current system.

I saw the beta test offer made by Dan here a little while ago but I have too much on my plate at the moment. Can't wait to see what they have done though!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustAmerican ➡️
Curious - what inconsistencies are you thinking of?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Phillips ➡️
Curious - what inconsistencies are you thinking of?
Mainly just the interface navigation that we were talking about in those 3 posts. (see below) It would also be nice to be able to see more of the mods list at one time instead of having to "short cut" your way through it. I think the hardware interface is about as good as it can be knowing how deep the synth is. The editor, however, should be able to shed the restraints of the HW and standardize the process of navigating to all the various pages needed to program the synth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenisnine ➡️
I have to say that this has been confusing me, too. In order to set portamento on, you need to wiggle for example octave encoder just to get to the right menu. I spent some time to look how to get to the pitch menu, and the only way seems to be to wiggle some parameter related to pitch so that you can edit rest of the parameters. It works, but it is not very intuitive, and it feels a bit stupid to set a new value to a certain parameter and right away setting it back to original just to edit some other parameter.[/I]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera ➡️
In the manual it says "Some pages, like Amp and Pitch, are only displayed when ..". As far as I can see, this is only mentioned on page 1. Since it says "some pages like" I was wondering if there were other pages that weren't immediately obvious and needed either extra button presses, or you to be in a certain menu (as in the case of LFO-Pitch) for them to be accessible.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenisnine ➡️
I have to say that this has been confusing me, too. In order to set portamento on, you need to wiggle for example octave encoder just to get to the right menu. I spent some time to look how to get to the pitch menu, and the only way seems to be to wiggle some parameter related to pitch so that you can edit rest of the parameters. It works, but it is not very intuitive, and it feels a bit stupid to set a new value to a certain parameter and right away setting it back to original just to edit some other parameter.
Press Enter while you turn the knob and the page will be displayed without the parameter changing.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Is the sustain point fixed for each multisample? What if I want a piano sound to sustain after a shorter time (at a higher level) without a sustain pedal?
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

im just curious... i know this is rather redundant question but i gotta ask.

can you use the wavestate like a traditional synth as well? like i know how it works to some degree with the sequences and wavetables but are you able to just bypass all that have a couple oscillators going and do your basic synth stuff on there? I know thats not the reason to get this synth but just curious.

Trying to narrow down what korg i may purchase in the future thanks.

Thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatWilson ➡️

can you use the wavestate like a traditional synth as well? like i know how it works to some degree with the sequences and wavetables but are you able to just bypass all that have a couple oscillators going and do your basic synth stuff on there? I know thats not the reason to get this synth but just curious.

Thanks.
You can just disable the sequencer and use multisamples. They include various simple waveforms. There's a choice of filters, amp and filter envelopes and LFOs, so everything you need to do most subtractive stuff is there.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera ➡️
You can just disable the sequencer and use multisamples. They include various simple waveforms. There's a choice of filters, amp and filter envelopes and LFOs, so everything you need to do most subtractive stuff is there.
Ok awesome thanks.
I like the Opsix, but I also really like the wavestate but dont see myself Always wanting to sequence things. I like the sound library in it, its nice to have the option for evolving pads, because well... evolving pads are beautiful, but as far as Im concerned. Im looking for something with alot of polyphone that can do more simples sounds. I just dont want to buy a minilogue xd or anything and be limited to 4 voices.

I see you can more or less do the same with the Opsix. Change the operator to a traditional sense of synthesis and go from there. I like just being able to have that option. Its possibly between those 2 though. Then later wait to see what Sequential comes out with.

Btw. How does the joystick feel? and can you split keys?
Here's some WS performances that do not use "running" sequences. Some of them use the sample lane to hold alternate samples that can be selected via the performance knobs though.

3 Chord Stab
Smooth Parabolics Ld
Big Trance Poly
Digital Sweepings
Aah Inspiring
Funky Souls
The Thickens
Forget About It

The joystick is fine for me. I just wish it had some sort of center detent/notch so you could center it exactly and quickly. Splits are no problem and pretty easy to set up.

Quote:
Ok awesome thanks.
I like the Opsix, but I also really like the wavestate but dont see myself Always wanting to sequence things. I like the sound library in it, its nice to have the option for evolving pads, because well... evolving pads are beautiful, but as far as Im concerned. Im looking for something with alot of polyphone that can do more simples sounds. I just dont want to buy a minilogue xd or anything and be limited to 4 voices.

I see you can more or less do the same with the Opsix. Change the operator to a traditional sense of synthesis and go from there. I like just being able to have that option. Its possibly between those 2 though. Then later wait to see what Sequential comes out with.

Btw. How does the joystick feel? and can you split keys?
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Thanks.
You can, although I am finding the workflow a bit clunky for that. The program layers can act almost like separate oscillators themselves, giving you four layers. Having said that, I am eyeing the Modwave though for a more accustomed workflow.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ok awesome thanks.
I like the Opsix, but I also really like the wavestate but dont see myself Always wanting to sequence things. I like the sound library in it, its nice to have the option for evolving pads, because well... evolving pads are beautiful, but as far as Im concerned. Im looking for something with alot of polyphone that can do more simples sounds. […]

I see you can more or less do the same with the Opsix. Change the operator to a traditional sense of synthesis and go from there. I like just being able to have that option. Its possibly between those 2 though. Then later wait to see what Sequential comes out with. […]
I agree with the other responses to your post above.

A couple more thoughts re Opsix vs. Wavestate for simple sounds:

Neither synth (Opsix or Wavestate) has all the knobs you might want for *instantly* setting up a simple subtractive sound. For example, the Opsix has levels for all six oscs right in front of you, on sliders; but you don’t get knobs for the master filter’s cutoff and resonance until you push the filter button to jump to the filter menu. In contrast, the Wavestate has dedicated filter controls, but doesn’t have four volume knobs/sliders for the levels of the four sample layers.

It is not a dealbreaker tho—you can internalize how to get around on either instrument. I personally find the Opsix interface more natural to use this way, but that’s just me. Subtractive synthesis is kind of a bonus feature on both instruments, so it’s not surprising they don’t have all the dedicated knobs for this that a Minilogue has.

fwiw, the Opsix feels more like a straightup synthesizer to me, something you patch in the traditional sense; the Wavestate makes you the master of this big sample library that you can orchestrate and sequence to do all kinds of cool music tricks. Both are useful.
Soaring States: All Wavestate

This is a one synth song created with the Wavestate. It's still a work in progress but finding the time to work on it has been rough lately. Probably won't get to the finish line with this one so here it is in all it's unfinished glory.

📝 Reply