Quantcast
opinion---waldorf blofeld vs modal argon 8 vs hydrasynth - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
opinion---waldorf blofeld vs modal argon 8 vs hydrasynth
Old 23rd December 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
opinion---waldorf blofeld vs modal argon 8 vs hydrasynth

ive been checking out the 3 in my opinion best wavetable synths under £1000 but cant decide which too go for.
first theres the waldorf blofeld-- its over 10 years old now but some of the demos ive heard on youtube still sound amazing and its by far the cheapest but is it still relevant and how many still use it..

second the modal argon 8-- it looks and sounds amazing but not heard much in the way of sounds because not many people have this but I do have the modal craftsynth 2 and it shares a lot of the same features and that thing sounds massive but the app is buggy as hell and its hit and miss wether it connects to the hardware or not..but that said I would love to hear any thoughts on it .

lastly we have the hydrasynth-- this initially when it was first announced really blew me away with the feature set and hype but as more and more vids hit youtube this doesn't sound as good as the ones above.the thing people were intrested in and me was the poly after touch keybed and touchstrip but then along came the expressive e osmose and I imdeiatally preordered it.that was the keybed ive always wanted and with its built in synth engine this looks to be the biggest synth of 2020.

im really intrested in your opinions and thoughts concerning the above especially how well they compare to the blofeld.

thanks
Old 23rd December 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy ➡️
ive been checking out the 3 in my opinion best wavetable synths under £1000 but cant decide which too go for.
first theres the waldorf blofeld-- its over 10 years old now but some of the demos ive heard on youtube still sound amazing and its by far the cheapest but is it still relevant and how many still use it..

second the modal argon 8-- it looks and sounds amazing but not heard much in the way of sounds because not many people have this but I do have the modal craftsynth 2 and it shares a lot of the same features and that thing sounds massive but the app is buggy as hell and its hit and miss wether it connects to the hardware or not..but that said I would love to hear any thoughts on it .

lastly we have the hydrasynth-- this initially when it was first announced really blew me away with the feature set and hype but as more and more vids hit youtube this doesn't sound as good as the ones above.the thing people were intrested in and me was the poly after touch keybed and touchstrip but then along came the expressive e osmose and I imdeiatally preordered it.that was the keybed ive always wanted and with its built in synth engine this looks to be the biggest synth of 2020.

im really intrested in your opinions and thoughts concerning the above especially how well they compare to the blofeld.

thanks
Both the Argon and Hydrasynth look like they’re about 10x more enjoyable to use than the Blofeld, which gave me no joy over the 6 or 7 months I had one. For me, I’d pick the Hydrasynth, no doubt about it. In a few months, once more people have more of a handle on it, I would expect more exciting demos...people have he years to master the Blofeld.
Old 23rd December 2019
Gear Nut

the hydrasynth is amazing and has limitless potential... absolutely love mine and how it works in tandem with euro rack/digitakt. get one and trust yourself to be able to handle the unrestrained sandbox.
Old 23rd December 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would consider one of the newer ones, but I wouldn't give up a Blofeld to get one.

If I did get one, I'd probably go for the Hydra instead of the Argon.
But I'm pretty happy with the Blofeld. YMMV
Old 23rd December 2019
Lives for gear

Im going to say this Te argon8 has a sequencer. the blo and hydra do not

that for me was a problem but i got a beatstep pro and a keystep and will be getting a another seq soon so that synth without seq no longer affect me like they did a month ago

that said the multitimbrality of the

sound wise?

Id go with blofeld because it has a interesting range

the hydra next and the argon8 last

however i would not discredit the elektron digitone or arturia microfreak either
that said the multitimbrality of the blofels is hard to beat
Old 24th December 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ambika is worth a look. Real analogue filters and VCAs make all the difference.

Edit: Now I've really got wood for one

https://fr.audiofanzine.com/syntheti...sible,p.3.html

Last edited by rockmanrock; 24th December 2019 at 06:03 PM..
Old 24th December 2019
Do any of the default wavetables (when you auto-populate) on the Hydra get as crazy as the PPG tables on the Blofeld? I'm thinking of stuff like the formant/speech ones.
Old 24th December 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Soundwise i'd go Blofeld.

Synth-wise i'd go Argon.

Performance-wise i'd go Hydra.
Old 28th December 2019
Gear Head
Quote:

thanks
You pretty much answered your own question, which is a good thing. You said that the Blofeld and the Argon “sound amazing” (they certainly do) and the Hydrasynth “doesn't sound as good as the ones above” (I agree, as do so many other people).

I have been using the Blofeld for years and there is absolutely no reason to ever sell it. Ten years later and people still love it. There is also a really nice iPad app for the Blofeld that can be purchased for a small price and works a treat.
Old 17th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by felis ➡️
I would consider one of the newer ones, but I wouldn't give up a Blofeld to get one.

If I did get one, I'd probably go for the Hydra instead of the Argon.
But I'm pretty happy with the Blofeld. YMMV
Blofeld is IMO still one of the most flexible signal processing labs you can buy and certainly so at it's price point. It can do bizarre, complex things many other synths can't dream of. Personally I think the UI is well designed and easy to get around. Firmware 1.24 and 1.25 are very stable as well.
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Nut

I had roughly the same decision as you about 10 months ago and went down the path of a second hand blokeys.

Its a great synth, but its not so enjoyable to use because of the excessive menu scrolling. Its also quite noisy and full of artifacts so i would recommend high impedance headphones to accompany it. I tend to enjoy my reface dx over the blofeld even with its limitation of 37 mini keys.

Now im thinking of selling the blofeld and reface dx for a modern standalone poly, back to square one. Have yet to try it but the Hydrasynth looks great, its lack of multitimbrality is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger.

Alternatively you might also want to check out the nord leads and peak, both are quite versatile and can be found for under £1000.

*the sledge 2 is still the most enjoyable poly ive played, its likely ill be purchasing it again despite the midi issues i originally encountered the first time i purchased it.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyKipper ➡️
. There is also a really nice iPad app for the Blofeld that can be purchased for a small price and works a treat.
What’s the app called?
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Since I created this post things have changed massively.
First the korg wavestate was announced.
Second the argon 8m was announced.
Finally the hydrasynth has had a massive update.

I'm now more undecided than before I'm holding out too see if waldorf announce anything over namm.. If they don't I hope korg announce a wavestate desktop it's a desktop item I'm in need off.
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I doubt either of those, so your options are probably whats already been announced, depending on your timescale for purchasing.

There is really quite a bit of difference between how the ones you mention sound so hopefully you'll be able to make a decision without too much more pain once the detail sinks in and you hear more.
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Just want to throw the MicroMonsta in the mix too, since i like it a lot. It's cheap, small, sounds great and i like the user interface.
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Addict
Largo kind of made the Blofeld redundant IMO. Almost the same sound engine, plus sub-oscillators but minus the PPG filter. No LFO tempo sync bugs or parameter matrix. I feel Largo gets overlooked these days with fancy new WT synths like Pigments and Serum out there, but it's still great IMO. Buy it when it's 50% off and you'll still have money left for Argon8 or Hydrasynth.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvancedFollower ➡️
Largo kind of made the Blofeld redundant IMO. Almost the same sound engine, plus sub-oscillators but minus the PPG filter. No LFO tempo sync bugs or parameter matrix. I feel Largo gets overlooked these days with fancy new WT synths like Pigments and Serum out there, but it's still great IMO. Buy it when it's 50% off and you'll still have money left for Argon8 or Hydrasynth.
I have the waldorf collection so that includes ppg 3 and I demoed largo but it was a cpu hog on my pc. I've also got pigments and I love it but I've been missing the connection you get using hardware. So the past few weeks I've been getting old gear out of storage and started too wire everything back in.
I've also been getting lazy and started too forget stuff I was taught so I thought best thing too start firing the braincells is too use more hardware and less vst synths.

Wave table vsts I've got lots of things such as halion 6,ppg 3,pigments,serum...etc but I feel disconnected when I use them so I've never really used them much.. But hardware is miles different you really need too work and use all your senses to get your sounds so you feel a better sense off achievement when you get a good sound.
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just saw microfreaks been updated too new tables and new features and it's small too so will fit in Ill check that out too.
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I bought the Blofeld eight or nine years ago when it first came out. I've tried so many times to get into that thing and I can't. I never understood the love for it. It sounds so lifeless compared to something like the XT. Maybe something is wrong with mine.

The user demos of the Hydrasynth are bound to get better because currently they are from people who haven't had it for very long and who knows how good they're programming skills are anyways. Listen to the demos that came out before it was released. To me the Hydrasynth or Aragon would be easy choice over the Blofeld.
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I think it depends on what kind of sounds you want.

Argon does bread and butter really well for me but the envelopes are limited and the filter is only 2 pole with no self resonance so you can't get too crazy with it. I've owned it for about a week now and have gotten some excellent pads and leads. Bass is a little trickier, you can get lots of bass with the oscillators but I've struggled to get the filter in a good spot for the bass sounds I like. Part of the trouble is the limited envelope.

The hydrasynth on the other hand looks like it is for people who want to explore and push boundaries of typical VA paradigm. I have one coming in the mail tomorrow and am very excited.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nleif ➡️
I think it depends on what kind of sounds you want.

Argon does bread and butter really well for me but the envelopes are limited and the filter is only 2 pole with no self resonance so you can't get too crazy with it. I've owned it for about a week now and have gotten some excellent pads and leads. Bass is a little trickier, you can get lots of bass with the oscillators but I've struggled to get the filter in a good spot for the bass sounds I like. Part of the trouble is the limited envelope.

The hydrasynth on the other hand looks like it is for people who want to explore and push boundaries of typical VA paradigm. I have one coming in the mail tomorrow and am very excited.
nice one hope you will post back when you can compare them both.
I've been watching some new vids on YouTube showcasing the new updates and sounds of the argon and hydra.
At this minute I'm not really feeling the hydra alot of the sounds I'm hearing arnt exactly the sounds I'm looking for.
I'm doing more synthwave, soundtrack type songs now on my own in the bands I'm in that varys from pop to indie but for my own pleasure I love synthwave.
So the sounds I'm hearing from hydra don't really fit in with what I'm looking for but I am open to hearing different demos if people have links.
The argon seems more suited too soundtrack sounds and the wavestate, blofeld seem more in tune with synthwave tracks.
But there's still a few more days at namm I'm sure there will be other gear announced.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
But there's still a few more days at namm I'm sure there will be other gear announced.
Thats the exception not the rule. Most companies want their stuff announced before NAMM or at the start, because they want the most people attending NAMM on any day to see it, which means having it there every day.

Behringer are different because they are not even at NAMM, they are just using NAMM and the timing of NAMM to do their own thing.

There will be other exceptions at times but usually when people still hold out hope of x,y or z being announced at a show thats already well underway, they are setting themselves up to be disappointed.
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by mungbeans ➡️
What’s the app called?
It's called Patch Base. https://coffeeshopped.com/patch-base
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
For synth wave you’ll use the new warm mode in the hydra v 1.3 update
Deleted 8ace8bf
Quote:
Just saw microfreaks been updated too new tables and new features and it's small too so will fit in Ill check that out too.
Have you seen any patch notes perchance?
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetpupil ➡️
*the sledge 2 is still the most enjoyable poly ive played, its likely ill be purchasing it again despite the midi issues i originally encountered the first time i purchased it.
Uh, but that's really just a Blofeld engine with more knobs and a few less internal features.

So, two votes for Blofeld. :-)
Lives for gear
Quote:
No new "tables" in that update. There is a new Noise synth engine, 64 new presets, a chord mode, etc.

Amazing little box that is.
Old 18th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxxeMan317 ➡️
No new "tables" in that update. There is a new Noise synth engine, 64 new presets, a chord mode, etc.

Amazing little box that is.
Sorry I thought there was new tables but the new noise engine is great and its really good arturia are adding new features I thought they would have moved on.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 ➡️
The wavestate is definitely more oriented "sound tracks" with its samples, especially if it has the same "new age" samples as the wavestation, think "national geographics" documentary soundtracks and what not, and it doesn't have wavetables. Both the Blofeld and the Argon are more suited for classic digital substractive style synth sounds with actual wavetables.

For the price of a Hydra new you could get both a new wavestate and a used Blofeld which sounds good despite its low volume output. It just needs to be plugged to good audio mixer.
I didn't know the blofeld had a low output..i knew it had some problems but I read they got sorted with the last firmware update.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 8ace8bf ➡️
Have you seen any patch notes perchance?
heres a vid explaining everything in the microfreak 2.0 update.

📝 Reply