The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Osmose by Expressive E
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone ➡️
Maybe Oprah could get involved, push this thing across the finish line
I think we need Dolly Parton to save the day.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Just imagine how long it took, back in the day (1700), as a pleb, to get a decent Clavichord built and delivered....

I'm just hoping electricity is still an option when my Osmose arrives....but I've aquired considerable acoustic gear...just in case.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Aiken ➡️
I think we need Dolly Parton to save the day.
she'd need to work much more than 9-to-5 I fear.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 ➡️
Just imagine how long it took, back in the day (1700), as a pleb, to get a decent Clavichord built and delivered....

I'm just hoping electricity is still an option when my Osmose arrives....but I've aquired considerable acoustic gear...just in case.
If necessary, hook up an exercise bike to a dynamo and get fit while you play.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmedia ➡️
If necessary, hook up an exercise bike to a dynamo and get fit while you play.
Good suggestion with considerable pre-electric precedent.

We actually had one of these in the house, fully working, when I grew up in the 60's. I tortured the thing, unguided, long as I can remember.

That was the original mass-market keyboard, made possible by the late arrival in Europe of the "free-reed", from China. As American factories built iron-frame pianos by the thousands, pump organs sold even better. By the 60's, like accordions, they had been rejected by "my generation" (I love that song). Ironically, the most expensive keyboard I own right now is a portable French design, hand made in italy, tuned to Irish taste:

Here is what is can sound like:

Learning that keyboard layout was a nursery rhyme, I suspect, compared to the brain cells I'll kill to grasp sound design on the Eagan Matrix.....

Nevetheless, I remain very excited about the Osmose, probably the last "big" synth I'll buy, and a steal at the full list price. Genuine innovation at the level of physical articulation, which doesn't stop you dead, but builds on what you know...not too many examples I can think of.

I'm not sure the electric guitar would qualify.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 ➡️
I'm just hoping electricity is still an option when my Osmose arrives....
Fortunately my studio is solar powered!
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Given the excitement that the Osmose has generated, the amount of comments scattered across all the forums from people saying that they've waited all their lives for something like this -surely Korg et al will have noticed.

I wonder if it's just a matter of time before one of the big players beat Expressive E to market with their own version of an Osmose? And if it is just a matter of time, whether three years on, that time will soon have passed...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriticalMass ➡️
Given the excitement that the Osmose has generated, the amount of comments scattered across all the forums from people saying that they've waited all their lives for something like this -surely Korg et al will have noticed.

I wonder if it's just a matter of time before one of the big players beat Expressive E to market with their own version of an Osmose? And if it is just a matter of time, whether three years on, that time will soon have passed...
There's an old saying that if you build a better mousetrap, someone is bound to come along and try to steal it. But in this case, I'd think other makers are going to wait to see if can be delivered and if it'll still sell at full price.
Lives for gear

Korg is among the manufacturers that cheaps out on their keyboard action to aim for the mass market with rock bottom prices, even eliminating channel aftertouch and never showing the slightest interest in polyphonic aftertouch despite it being part of the MIDI 1.0 spec. I don't believe they'd suddenly invest in a pricey and unproven new keyboard action without having ample demonstration that the market is going to flock to it - not just a few die-hards.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draig ➡️
Fortunately my studio is solar powered!
That's cute, but currently there's 71.684% chance of nuclear winter.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KriticalMass ➡️
I think I read (in this thread?) that Fatar has or is coming with a PolyAT keybed. Might not be as versatile as the whole Osmose experience, but it could be a contender as an industry standard brand most major manufacturers already work with. Most synths already support polyAT over MIDI already, the question is if the extra MPE stuff, like the bend-per-key thing, brings enough to the table to make a major difference.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Fatar already came out with a PAT keybed and it's in Waldorf Iridium Keyboard.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➡️
Fatar already came out with a PAT keybed and it's in Waldorf Iridium Keyboard.
It would be great to see broader adoption of it, but cutting corners seems more the trend than embracing expressiveness - for most, anyway. Kudos to Waldorf for bucking the trend alongside Expressive E.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonNaphoven ➡️
That's cute, but currently there's 71.684% chance of nuclear winter.
That means I have 28.316% chance... which is better than your odds
Lives for gear

Anybody could buy a Continuum, and look at the rods and springs, and say, oh okay that's how it's done, and copy it. They could test it out under different custom keyboards, and figure out a mechanical solution whereby the keys seem to move the rods evenly throughout the throw of each key. They could copy the pcb, and even use identical dsp chips.

They'd have a dud, at that point. They'd still be 20 years behind. It wouldn't take them 20 years to catch up, obv, but if Expressive E couldn't get Osmose to market before a real competitor, then that would be a mighty upset.

There is some difference vs the Continuum. There's no forward and backwards "y" dimension. It's a hand-off between "z" and "y" at some point within the vertical displacement, with a mechanical stop at that point. "X" will probably have a 2 semitone range per channel, and a larger global pitch bending range for the stick. Etc etc, IOW, EE still had plenty of firmware code to develop, too. Maybe that's part of the delay... calibrating the response seems like a situation where you'd want one hand on the firmware knob, and one hand on the mechanism knob, and dial both in together simultaneously. It sounds like the China production schedule hasn't allowed for much of that? Could be a factor.

I'd only trust Yamaha, of the big 3, to do a good job of something like this keyboard, but not for quite a while.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia ➡️
Kudos to Waldorf for bucking the trend alongside Expressive E.
And also kudos to ASM - for bringing a six octave polyAT keyboard to market with their Hydrasynth Deluxe - and at a pretty reasonable price too, if you ask me.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
It’s sad to see how this is all going. It’s such a great concept. I’d hate to see bad timing prevent it from becoming a reality.

Hopefully the world learns a lesson about global supply chains. Maybe getting the absolute cheapest labor, lowest taxes and most lax regulations can come bite you, as it has done in all the ways we see.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
It’s sad to see how this is all going. It’s such a great concept. I’d hate to see bad timing prevent it from becoming a reality.

Hopefully the world learns a lesson about global supply chains. Maybe getting the absolute cheapest labor, lowest taxes and most lax regulations can come bite you, as it has done in all the ways we see.
I don't think that is entirely fair on Expressive E. There probably aren't any other places with the capability and expertise to build these things in the world.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodataavailable ➡️
I don't think that is entirely fair on Expressive E. There probably aren't any other places with the capability and expertise to build these things in the world.
Of course there are, but it wouldn't be possible against close-to-slave-labour prizes like you can in China.
Gear Head

Quote:
Of course there are, but it wouldn't be possible against close-to-slave-labour prizes like you can in China.
I used to work in the electronics industry, and there really aren't.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I used to work in the electronics industry, and there really aren't.
Some stuff on component level maybe, but the whole production/assembly could be done pretty much anywhere - like some US synth builders importing components from Asia but doing their assembly on-site. Didn't Expressive-E create a 'mirror production line' locally to instruct the Chinese facility when they couldn't travel to China?
Gear Head

Quote:
Some stuff on component level maybe, but the whole production/assembly could be done pretty much anywhere - like some US synth builders importing components from Asia but doing their assembly on-site. Didn't Expressive-E create a 'mirror production line' locally to instruct the Chinese facility when they couldn't travel to China?
I would assume that any mirror production line would be on a vastly smaller scale than any manufacturing in China.

But I am willing to accept that you may know more than me.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I would assume that any mirror production line would be on a vastly smaller scale than any manufacturing in China.

But I am willing to accept that you may know more than me.
I think it was mainly meant to create instructions, copy procedures or troubleshoot, not fully fledged production. Of course it made perfect sense for EE to choose the path they did, as that's how most manufacturers work these days - design in domestic country and then manufacture in some sweatshop or mega plant on the other side of the globe. It's more cost-effective, especially at larger scales and they do have the expertise. It's still a choice though. Frankly considering the current problems with supply chains and general global instability, I expect we'll see a lot of manufacturing returning to the west before long.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That’s entirely my point.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
So I’m guessing since we haven’t heard anything about the boat leaving yet, we are into roughly next year for delivery - as the boat will take 2 months (said in an earlier email) to get to EE HQ.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modulargrey ➡️
So I’m guessing since we haven’t heard anything about the boat leaving yet, we are into roughly next year for delivery - as the boat will take 2 months (said in an earlier email) to get to EE HQ.
Just got a pic of the boat today.
Attached Thumbnails
Osmose by Expressive E-minnows_s1s2.jpg  
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
June to July 2022

- assessment of the situation after the Shanghai lockdown (completed)
- relaunch of mass production (completed)
- quality control of the first pallet received via air freight (processing)

I wonder what excuse they're going to find for 3 months of QC without any feedback. Maybe their mailing system was in lockdown due to ebola or something.

This whole soap opera would have been so much better if they just gave regular updates and some behind-the-scenes info and footage. In fact, that would have made the whole project far more interesting for the backers as they would be part of the process. Now they're just waiting like a bunch of chumps caught in some Stockholm Syndrome situation wagging their tails whenever Expressive E dignifies them with a 5 sentence paragraph of non-committal boilerplate every two months or so. Even the most persistent "OH BOY I DON'T MIND WAITING BECAUSE I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE THEY GET IT RIIIIIIIIGHT" types shut up about 6 months ago.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Even the most persistent "OH BOY I DON'T MIND WAITING BECAUSE I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE THEY GET IT RIIIIIIIIGHT" types shut up about 6 months ago.
No we didnt shutup at all, no more than the serial negative hyperbole merchants did with their ongoing pointless insults. For a long time I've gently moaned about the infrequency of their updates and having to read between the lines due to their sugar coating, but I remain happy to wait for a good result in the end. I'm also happy to repeat that its not like I paid the full price for this device years ago, I made a modest deposit for something that was offered at very attractive discount. Even if it all goes wrong its not like I paid in full for a failed kickstarter product.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I agree that the communication is too infrequent for 'backers', but as a E Touche user (and owner sever of their VSTs as well) I can say they have never really been big at marketing, newsletters or updating their existing software...Noisy and Imagen haven't really had any significant updates since they were launched. It's just the way they are...I have learnt to accept it (as there isn't really any other choice if you want an Osmose). I did however by an MPE ERAE Touch which helps with the waiting ;-)

https://www.embodme.com/
Old 1 day ago
Expressivee never gave any indication of how fast the production line would be either, because they didn't know.

Maybe they are building two units per month and it'll take 3 years to fill up the first container. Who knows.
📝 Reply