The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Osmose by Expressive E
Old 5th August 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
ohh yeah i forgot winnie the poo has spies on here checking up on us..you cant mention anything which would upset our grand masters in the democrat party,jeffrey epstein or the chinese communist party..

forgive me master xi please send me my osmose as soon as possible and i will kiss your disney poster every night and send you the launch codes as soon as i get them
Old 6th August 2022
Lives for gear
Tried playing the piano like an Osmose. It didn't go well.

Old 6th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

^That piano probably just needs a key regulation
Old 6th August 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Maybe it’s not done yet, seems they have become silent again
Old 7th August 2022 | Show parent
b77
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Rob Lowe ➡️
Maybe it’s not done yet, seems they have become silent again
The last newsletter was sent just a week ago.
Old 11th August 2022
Gear Head

Losing my marbles waiting for this drop..
Attached Thumbnails
Osmose by Expressive E-2e7564c3-1b39-43c5-9045-a2b616a19c02.jpeg   Osmose by Expressive E-66bd8f93-d143-4d2e-b5bf-ec2dbccb1418.jpeg   Osmose by Expressive E-24a4a86a-ad58-4805-9229-95e7f7d9331b.jpeg   Osmose by Expressive E-795adbeb-7d3a-4f0d-9ea2-01703146aa8c.jpeg   Osmose by Expressive E-fbe18365-a6cb-4abf-afed-6f68e75a4395.jpeg  

Osmose by Expressive E-63a9fe7f-b980-4afb-a502-6e719e2e1df8.jpeg   Osmose by Expressive E-9eaaa104-62fc-4292-88a6-4c2dc93eb55d.jpeg   Osmose by Expressive E-91c59b17-dbdc-4769-ab67-81110f4fb0c9.jpeg   Osmose by Expressive E-44ba991e-805f-4053-a6d2-168fb1854eaa.jpeg   Osmose by Expressive E-cd8e670c-6a47-4f92-9c03-9ebbfdc898b0.jpeg  

Old 11th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by b77 ➡️
The last newsletter was sent just a week ago.
Right it dropped to my junk box, thanks for the update
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can anyone remember which city/area the Osmose are being made in? https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/30/b...kdown-intl-hnk Ho-hum...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The good news is that those are just street vendors selling electronics and not manufacturing facilities… yet.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah indeed but the lockdown is wider and will be stopping people going to work generally.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
b77
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Bottle ➡️
Can anyone remember which city/area the Osmose are being made in? https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/30/b...kdown-intl-hnk Ho-hum...
It's assembled and shipped from Shanghai, per their last newsletter:

https://mailchi.mp/expressivee/osmos...r?e=6077fc6b85
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Phew! Well, let's hope some backers start getting their arrival dates soon then and put us all out of our misery.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Dang. This pre-order is such a distant memory that the email updates aren’t even in my junk folder anymore.
Lives for gear
So many China-made keyboards and other electronic products large and small have been announced and delivered since I pre-ordered Osmose now all those years ago - I can't help but wonder if what we are being told in Expressive E's infrequent emails really is the full story.

Anyway, September tomorrow. Perhaps finally some definitive news really is now just around the corner.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriticalMass ➡️
So many China-made keyboards and other electronic products large and small have been announced and delivered since I pre-ordered Osmose now all those years ago - I can't help but wonder if what we are being told in Expressive E's infrequent emails really is the full story.

Anyway, September tomorrow. Perhaps finally some definitive news really is now just around the corner.
By my count (as detailed in the past two years of synth of the year threads), there has been over 50 new products released and discussed here on GS since Osmose was first announced. These from companies both large (by musical instruments standards) and small. And, from places from all over the world that all still rely on Chinese manufactured components. All we see/seen lately for Osmose is seemingly carefully cropped photos and a few product placements in videos and IG postings. The last actual video posted with an Osmose turned on and in use was a year ago at Superbooth.

I'd really like to see some raw photos of Osmoses actually being made on a production line. Just like just about ever other new product manufacturers do to proudly show what they've accomplished and to reassure backers. Make no mistake that I really want this to succeed. But it is easier to believe in Santa Clause sometimes
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KriticalMass ➡️
I have no idea...

The Osmose is a completely new product with one of a kind unique parts.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig ➡️
The Osmose is a completely new product with one of a kind unique parts.
This. And as far as photos from the production line? Expressive E haven't been able to physically visit, which is part of the problem, and the production facility doubtless manufactures products for a range of companies and prohibits photography in any event as part of their contractual agreements with the firms they manufacture for. That's pretty standard.

We've had plenty of photos and videos of hands-on time with the product, including at Superbooth with people who just happened to attend. There's no conspiracy and every reason to believe that this is a particularly challenging product because it's not just slapping together off-the-shelf parts with a little silk screening and software to give it personality. Those products are much, much easier to deliver under the circumstances we've had in recent years.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Well, I wouldn't be surprised that there's a lot more going on than just the covid lockdowns and supply chain issues. It's a new, innovative product with loads of moving parts and delicate electronics. These things are not easy to develop or produce at the best of times. Good chance that they had to alter the design or manufacturing process when running into issues that might not have been apparent during the design and prototype phase. Add the distance, time zone difference, language barrier and the whole crapshoot world we've been finding ourselves in in the last 2.5 years and you've got a nice slice of development hell on your hands. I've stepped out last year because I just lost interest and explored other avenues, but I do hope the backers who persisted get their keyboards soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad ➡️
By my count (as detailed in the past two years of synth of the year threads), there has been over 50 new products released and discussed here on GS since Osmose was first announced. These from companies both large (by musical instruments standards) and small. And, from places from all over the world that all still rely on Chinese manufactured components. All we see/seen lately for Osmose is seemingly carefully cropped photos and a few product placements in videos and IG postings. The last actual video posted with an Osmose turned on and in use was a year ago at Superbooth.

I'd really like to see some raw photos of Osmoses actually being made on a production line. Just like just about ever other new product manufacturers do to proudly show what they've accomplished and to reassure backers. Make no mistake that I really want this to succeed. But it is easier to believe in Santa Clause sometimes
In the time since the Osmose announcement, the Korg Opsix was announced, mass produced, shipped to retailers all over the planet, turned into a VST, discontinued(?) and dumped from the warehouse…
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudinthenight ➡️
In the time since the Osmose announcement, the Korg Opsix was announced, mass produced, shipped to retailers all over the planet, turned into a VST, discontinued(?) and dumped from the warehouse…
The Opsix, which I own and love, is a totally different animal. The keybed doesn't even have aftertouch, much less a newly designed multidimensional expressive mechanism in each key, and the Eaganmatrix isn't Raspberry Pi. I feel you tho, I can't wait for the Osmose!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudinthenight ➡️
Lol. Well, I certainly hope Osmose can do better.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Pretty much every company that you see releasing products are bigger than expressive e. They only have one other product and it’s not even a synth. They prob have zero pull with the factories in china. Them getting a new technology out in the middle of all the craziness is a borderline miracle. Also, marketing costs money.
Lives for gear

The mistake in having their most ardent supporters send a $100 refundable deposit is that Expressive E set up a scenario where those supporters now think anything above the originally promised price is too much, toilet paper riots be damned. It's their own fault for not making the early-bird discount a fixed amount lower than the eventual retail price, rather than to set it at an aspirationally low price. "It seemed like a good idea at the time", except you can always tell when you have overwhelming response to your ad, that you've priced it too low. But maybe it's some technical difficulty... a factory revision holding it up. Behringer has their own factory, so that's not an issue for them, and yet... that'd not the problem. Oberheim can get chips, and find people to assemble the livery, and place the components. There really don't seem to be so many components, for such an expensive synth. How much would it have cost if released in 2019, do you think? The rev2 went up by $500 since then. That increase alone is half the total expected price of an Osmose, since the Osmose was announced. And it's not even a VCO synth! (just kidding, sorta... VCOs do seem to allow a higher margin). People would go apeshit if you suggested a $250 increase in the Osmose. Maybe because it's totally digital? (sorry, I couldn't help that one. Kidding again, obv, about it being because it's digital. For why people would go apeshit... you forgot the first sentence already?! That's what this whole paragraph is about!). I wrote it all as one paragraph because it would be depressing if you couldn't say no way, that's crazy. And it might be totally off-base. EE might respond tomorrow, and be like, dude... Geddy Lee is our previously anonymous benefactor, and we could sell these for one lousy dollar each, if we felt like it. There's just been this one hex screw we can't procure, and it's really been holding us up for what seems like years. Plus, the factory built them all backwards.... <= it might be something like that, too. They took a tour of LA with photo-ops and no audio demos. It was in a snarky puppy video but it wasn't part of the show - I think it bought a ticket just like everyone else. This whole situation is weird.
Lives for gear

There were suggestions in some of the newsletters that parts sufficient to fill the pre-orders were secured pretty early on, likely before any economic uncertainty had an impact. Fuel costs for shipping have definitely gone up, but otherwise I would be willing to believe they're not going to take a real hit on those early orders (and IIRC it was a $400 deposit that was required.)

What they absolutely cannot afford is to find out that they've shipped a few hundred keyboards that need to be recalled for some kind of problem they overlooked while trying to ramp up production remotely, without feet on the ground. So they'll take their time to make sure that what they do ship out initially is in great shape, barring perhaps some firmware tweaks if anything minor shows up once it's in a lot more hands.

The real catastrophe would be if those initial experiences weren't great, because they're clearly trying to coordinate content they've been producing in LA with press with influencer videos with early adopter enthusiasm as the units start to arrive. If all that goes well? They can price their full retail units according to current market conditions, not what a handful of people paid as early adopters. That pricing was always promoted as an aggressive discount - and most people are aware of rising cost of goods at this time.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonNaphoven ➡️
Well, I wouldn't be surprised that there's a lot more going on than just the covid lockdowns and supply chain issues. It's a new, innovative product with loads of moving parts and delicate electronics. These things are not easy to develop or produce at the best of times. Good chance that they had to alter the design or manufacturing process when running into issues that might not have been apparent during the design and prototype phase. Add the distance, time zone difference, language barrier and the whole crapshoot world we've been finding ourselves in in the last 2.5 years and you've got a nice slice of development hell on your hands. I've stepped out last year because I just lost interest and explored other avenues, but I do hope the backers who persisted get their keyboards soon.
Just curious did you contact Expressive for the refund or your original payment source?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Rob Lowe ➡️
Just curious did you contact Expressive for the refund or your original payment source?
I sent a mail to Expressive E with my preorder details, requested to cancel my preorder and refund the deposit, which they promptly did. I think I had the money back in my account within a day or two.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia ➡️
The real catastrophe would be if those initial experiences weren't great, because they're clearly trying to coordinate content they've been producing in LA with press with influencer videos with early adopter enthusiasm as the units start to arrive
I'm wondering if the reason the flurry of photo ops didn't result in any audio is because of exactly that: initial experiences with near-production models weren't great...

It's notable, I think, that France based Arturia announced their China-made Polybrute in September 2020 and delivered it just a few months later. In between was the devastating second Covid wave, when travel between France and China would surely have been impossible for the Grenoble employees.

Ok, Arturia is a much bigger company than Expressive E of course, but certainly not one of the big boys. And it's a keyboard with a fair few hardware innovations - the Morphee, the wooden capacitive touch strip... And there are huge number of components to source, both on and under the hood.

Yet they pulled it off, and to this day the Polybrute remains easy to buy without any delay. Which to me does tend to suggest that the primary cause of the ongoing Osmose delay may well be down to some pretty serious technical problems that (understandably) they're not being entirely open about.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I dont read too much into it. Because the synth engine is a known quantity, its not like they came up with something brand new in that respect. So I dont really need Osmose demos in order to understand what it will sound like. When it comes to great demos in future, as with other MPE controller demos this isnt trivial to pull off, because musicians need some time to learn how to get the best out of the expressivity. But also right now there is no need for them to do the big hype, the next time they need to do that is when they have more units available to sell beyond all those initial pre-orders. In the meantime all they need is a few teasers that demonstrate progress is still being made and the Osmose project is still alive, remind people it still exists, take the edge off skepticism etc.

Its true that we have absolutely no idea what production quirks they may have experienced along the way, they give as little info as they can get away with. And their updates are sporadic and a bit vague, eg they didnt give us enough info to guesstimate how far through production of the first batch they actually were at time of last update. And we dont know what the testing of the initial ones they flew to France revealed.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Found my preorder email for reservation 11/27/19.
Coming up on 3 year anniversary. Wow. Shipping Summer 2020. LOL. None of us had any idea what was coming.

Also saw that it has my old address. Haven’t seen any communication on how to change shipping address which sort of confirms they aren’t in danger of shipping it yet.

Changed my address on their website.

Early bird reservation was 249.17 euro. Price appears to be 1079 USD/euro which is insanely cheap!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiiviix ➡️
The Opsix, which I own and love, is a totally different animal. The keybed doesn't even have aftertouch, much less a newly designed multidimensional expressive mechanism in each key, and the Eaganmatrix isn't Raspberry Pi. I feel you tho, I can't wait for the Osmose!
I wasn’t comparing the two synths… merely commenting that another product lived its entire lifecycle during the pre-order period of the Osmose.
📝 Reply