The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Osmose by Expressive E
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Bottle ➡️
Anyone in the UK spoken to Expressive E about their pre-orders and the VAT situation following Brexit? It should be tax included still, right, so no additional import tax for that?
I’ve not discussed the Osmose with them directly, but they were in the process of registering for UK VAT a couple of months ago and so should charge it directly on all their gear.

However there might be import charges if they are made in China rather than the EU I believe. If they assemble them in France then that might avoid any further duty.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmedia ➡️
I’ve not discussed the Osmose with them directly, but they were in the process of registering for UK VAT a couple of months ago and so should charge it directly on all their gear.

However there might be import charges if they are made in China rather than the EU I believe. If they assemble them in France then that might avoid any further duty.
I think non-UK companies can only register to charge the VAT on products up to 135 GBP...UK authorities/couriers may well charge additional Import Duty, VAT or even Customs Brokerage...

We definitely need a statement on this (as well as other things!)
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Would hope they just knock off the pre-order price the minimum 20% they would've given to the French taxman then, so that we don't lose out here in blighty.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiC ➡️
I think non-UK companies can only register to charge the VAT on products up to 135 GBP...UK authorities/couriers may well charge additional Import Duty, VAT or even Customs Brokerage...

We definitely need a statement on this (as well as other things!)
When I asked about weird pricing I was seeing on their website, they indicated they would be charging 20% VAT once UK VAT registered (on Osmose), but they may have got that wrong!

As I understand it (and I could well be wrong!) they can opt to zero-rate items so the customer pays the import VAT on delivery, but that it is possible for them not to do this and charge the VAT their end if they are UK VAT registered (whereas they have to charge the VAT on items below £135).

There could still be additional import duties depending on country of origin (China or France) and additional VAT on that.

I think they could also opt to import them to the UK themselves via a third party business and then charge regular VAT up front as the items are already in the UK when sold to the customer.

Post Brexit VAT seems to be a mess whatever the case.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Bottle ➡️
Would hope they just knock off the pre-order price the minimum 20% they would've given to the French taxman then, so that we don't lose out here in blighty.
If they don't charge it I'm sure the invoice simply won't add the 20% VAT.
📝 Reply