The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TD-3 behringer 303 clone
Old 2nd March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
no, you have to use TD as master - tbf i have not tried with TD under cv sync but i imagine it is the same as the clock is just the clock, if we are talking the same language?

anyway here is some good news, a beta with some sneaky new features we have been discussing in the background is being worked on (not out yet as lots to do) and i have managed to get the above dragged into the program to be looked at so we can hope it gets sorted - progress it seems - i cannot say how long

Wow, this is incredibly excited sounding! Not only is the above mentionings possibly going to be fixed/rectified, but other goodies are to be included too?! I didn't think we would get another firmware period for the TD-3, as it has been an entire year since the last one, so the continued support for our little boxes, is very much appreciated!

I LOVE the last update to the RD-6 too, opened up a lot of stuff. If there is anything else that could be done to that box, let's get to it!
Old 2nd March 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Let's walk before we run, it has to be made to work first
Gear Addict

That's really nice to hear! I assumed after a year that development would be over.

My other "pretty please with a cherry on top" request would be that Behringer develop two separate sets of firmware, or have two different modes:

A. OG Warts and All Original TB-303 Mode

and

B. Fancy Pants Extended Feature Mode for people who aren't concerned about having as close to a 100% 303 replica as possible.

I am actually really happy with the sound and build of both of my TD-3's, it's just that the lack of Tap while in MIDI sync mode is slightly vexing to say the least.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I agree that the lack of Tap control when midi sync is enabled is not a bug but a missing feature.

HOWEVER, please add it! It would be awesome!
Old 2nd March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You mean you guys aren't just hitting the random button 20x and calling it a day?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Let's walk before we run, it has to be made to work first
The fact that you guys are even trying, means a lot. I don't think you would have attempted it, if you didn't think it would be possible, so I have faith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman Young ➡️
That's really nice to hear! I assumed after a year that development would be over.

My other "pretty please with a cherry on top" request would be that Behringer develop two separate sets of firmware, or have two different modes:

A. OG Warts and All Original TB-303 Mode

and

B. Fancy Pants Extended Feature Mode for people who aren't concerned about having as close to a 100% 303 replica as possible.

I am actually really happy with the sound and build of both of my TD-3's, it's just that the lack of Tap while in MIDI sync mode is slightly vexing to say the least.
Ya, an alternate sequencer mode, like found on the TB-03, or the TT-03, would be totally amazing! Make it easier to use, without relying on a software interface, on a computer.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous ➡️
Ya, an alternate sequencer mode, like found on the TB-03, or the TT-03, would be totally amazing! Make it easier to use, without relying on a software interface, on a computer.
Oh yes please!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
oh give over... there's nothing remotely difficult about programming it.
the sequencer is the whole point of it. change that, and you'll ruin it.

or else, yes, just get a TB-03 or 2nd generation TT303.
Old 3rd March 2021
Lives for gear

I just want the transpose bug fixed (where it forgets the transpose setting as soon as you stop and restart the sequencer) and the ability to leave MIDI clock sync enabled but still start playback locally when my DAW isn't running. Having to constantly switch modes is just broken by design. The TB-03 and RE-303 can both be started anytime without changing the sync mode. If you start sending MIDI clock while the internal sequencer is already running, it just restarts the current pattern at whatever tempo it receives. Easy and obvious.
Old 3rd March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl ➡️
oh give over... there's nothing remotely difficult about programming it.
the sequencer is the whole point of it. change that, and you'll ruin it.

or else, yes, just get a TB-03 or 2nd generation TT303.
Not change, in addition to. The TB-03 has both sequencer modes included. The original and the new.

I am just throwing ideas out here. With software these days, nothing is impossible, so why not? It is ultimately up to the developers, on whether they fix, update, or ammend, anything.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild ➡️
I just want the transpose bug fixed (where it forgets the transpose setting as soon as you stop and restart the sequencer) and the ability to leave MIDI clock sync enabled but still start playback locally when my DAW isn't running. Having to constantly switch modes is just broken by design. The TB-03 and RE-303 can both be started anytime without changing the sync mode. If you start sending MIDI clock while the internal sequencer is already running, it just restarts the current pattern at whatever tempo it receives. Easy and obvious.
This.
Old 3rd March 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Basically an auto clock mode is what you desire

I don't think any of behringers have auto clock, could be wrong , must go check later

I've mentioned it n the past, hard to remember the response tbh , can raise it again
Gear Maniac

Would be nice if the "Back" button worked for more than one step in "pitch" mode as well. Is this the same on the orignial 303?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940nm ➡️
Hello,

I wanted to check and see if people are having the same problem as me...

When sequencing the TD-3 directly from a Beatstep Pro the very short overlapping notes generated by the Beatstep fail to cause the notes to slide when set to 'Last' priority in synthtool. 'High' and 'Low' work as expected. I'm running the latest firmware on both.

Thanks.
Just an update in case anyone else has had the same issue. After exchanging a few emails I heard from MusciTribe today and they can replicate and hope to address the issue in the next firmware update.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940nm ➡️
Just an update in case anyone else has had the same issue. After exchanging a few emails I heard from MusciTribe today and they can replicate and hope to address the issue in the next firmware update.

This is awesome news. Thanks so much for sharing and big up Music Tribe, for proving me wrong, with your support being better than I expected!
Old 7th March 2021
Gear Head

TD3 track mode, wtf?

I am fighting with my new TD3 on track mode. I can't get it to accept my programming or track deletions. Here are some examples of what happens

Let's say I have four sequences: 1, 2, 3 & 4

I try to make a track that goes 2223, but what comes out is 22231

This unwanted fifth sequence (1) can't be deleted - I can delete any of the other sequences, e.g. whittling it down to 2231, 231, 31, 1...

But it won't let me delete just the 5th sequence to leave 2223.

OK, I'll try to start from scratch with a new track. Again I get 22231 despite not programming in 1. This time, it will let me delete the 5th sequence, but instead of leaving 2223, it gives me [222322223].

Now if I delete, say, sequence 5 or 6 in that, it just inserts a 1 back in its place!!!

How is this thing so insanely difficult to use, is that part of its charm? Kind of looks cool on my desk but the £100 (not a lot, admittedly) could have been much better spent elsewhere, I feel. It basically doesn't do anything useful.

EDIT: is there something not in the manual like a need to set the track length (in number of sequences) or it will fill in the gaps itself?

I just made a new simple test attempting a track that goes 432 but it came out 4321111 ....?

EDIT 2: new experiment, attempted to program 44444444 (eight 4's), got 44444441. Attempted to overwrite with 32, got 324.

Someone pls halp
Old 7th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
didn't somebody just explain this the other day in the TD-3 thread?
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➡️
didn't somebody just explain this the other day in the TD-3 thread?
Quite right! I hadn't really paid attention to that, thanks. The extra-sequence issue is solved, but still not sure why I can't delete the 4th seq in a given track.
Old 7th March 2021
Gear Head

Why am I unable to delete the final sequence from a track? As in, if I have 1234 making up a track then I can delete any of the sequences except 4, which can never be removed?
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbobtao ➡️
Why am I unable to delete the final sequence from a track? As in, if I have 1234 making up a track then I can delete any of the sequences except 4, which can never be removed?
TD3 boxed away again but to my memory we don't need to delete a seq: from a track, just select seq: 3 in your example as the last seq:

as for actual deletion of seq: 4 in your example, i don't know, i cannot try to replicate either without unboxing - maybe later this week
Old 8th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

I have a TD3 and Monologue as my main "tune" generators (i.e. not drums etc). The TD3 really does sound extremely thin and silly in most case and I just always want to use the ML's sequencer where possible, but this is quite impractical because of the limitations on that (e.g. no sequence queueing, no seamless patch changing, etc). What effects should I look into for beefing up the TD3 sound? I have an old boss OD pedal, and a wah. There are some amazing YT demos of TD3s but they're usually routed into ableton and made almost unrecognisable.

Quote:
TD3 boxed away again but to my memory we don't need to delete a seq: from a track, just select seq: 3 in your example as the last seq:

as for actual deletion of seq: 4 in your example, i don't know, i cannot try to replicate either without unboxing - maybe later this week
That essentially involves setting up the track again, then - once you've set it up I don't think you can scroll back through it and change its length (effectively cutting out some later sequences). You can delete, insert, etc. But not delete the final seq, apparently.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I have a TD3 and Monologue as my main "tune" generators (i.e. not drums etc). The TD3 really does sound extremely thin and silly in most case and I just always want to use the ML's sequencer where possible, but this is quite impractical because of the limitations on that (e.g. no sequence queueing, no seamless patch changing, etc). What effects should I look into for beefing up the TD3 sound? I have an old boss OD pedal, and a wah. There are some amazing YT demos of TD3s but they're usually routed into ableton and made almost unrecognisable.

yes the 303 is a thin synth in comparison to what we may call fatter analogue voices, certainly if we introduce rez, the korg for example is a 12dB filter? so by design will sound heavier, how fat do you want the TD3 to be? personally i keep my 303 lines as what they are as then it stands in its own place in a mix but i do have some moog minifooger drive pedal that adds weight in the bottom even just by plugging in and not even using a control, did you think about a chorus on very slow to add depth perhaps? the obvious answer is any thing with a drive or tube, eq etc but without adding any distortion

Quote:
That essentially involves setting up the track again, then - once you've set it up I don't think you can scroll back through it and change its length (effectively cutting out some later sequences). You can delete, insert, etc. But not delete the final seq, apparently.
you don't need to set it up again as you can change track length at any time, you just step through it and hit clear on the desired end seq:

you can basically delete the last seq: by telling it not be played therefore deleted (ok pseudo deleted)

if then you need a new end seq: you just change it

i do see your point but i am afraid i do not see the problem in it , that is unless i am really missing something
Gear Head

I just got a second MIDI cable and connected:

TR8-->ML-->TD3

or

TR8-->TD3-->ML

Is there a way to set things up so that the TR8 controls both, but neither of the other devices control the more downstream one? Currently whichever if first in th chain, ML or TD3, is trying to control the next one (e.g. playing its sequencer through the other device, or even just key presses from the ML making tones in the TD3. I just want them both clocked to the TR8 but independent otherwise.

Do I need some kind of splitter thing to do it all in parallel?
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I just got a second MIDI cable and connected:

TR8-->ML-->TD3

or

TR8-->TD3-->ML

Is there a way to set things up so that the TR8 controls both, but neither of the other devices control the more downstream one? Currently whichever if first in th chain, ML or TD3, is trying to control the next one (e.g. playing its sequencer through the other device, or even just key presses from the ML making tones in the TD3. I just want them both clocked to the TR8 but independent otherwise.

Do I need some kind of splitter thing to do it all in parallel?
no, two midi cables is fine

set to different midi channels

they will still receive clock but will not pass on sequencer and note data
Gear Head

Quote:
no, two midi cables is fine

set to different midi channels

they will still receive clock but will not pass on sequencer and note data
That is, set the ML and the TD3 to [any] different channels from each other?
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That is, set the ML and the TD3 to [any] different channels from each other?
yes, i would separate all - clk will still be passed on if they are in slave mode

tr8 on one ch
td on another
ml another
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi, my Distortion playlist includes many videos with the TD-3. That may help you.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...CZ_Ta0EbiOHenh
Old 9th March 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
1) You can mod the stock distortion, with thicker results like this:

https://soundcloud.com/kabbak/distor.../s-1BLUwjb6ABg

https://soundcloud.com/kabbak/07-pj

2) Or use a compressor or a distortion or overdrive that can handle bass frequencies. Your boss OD is probably made for guitar thus having a high pass filter that will cut the bass (which is what the stock TD-3 distortion does).
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
good day for
Attached Thumbnails
TD-3  behringer 303 clone-download.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
good day for