Gear Maniac

Do you have to open it up for tuning?
Old 11th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanEdberg ➡️
Do you have to open it up for tuning?
Yes, but super easy. I am really dumb and scared to do things like this, but even I was able to undue the screws from the back, slide the cover apart and put a small screwdriver to the trim pot, from the back of the unit. Closed it back up and done!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous ➡️
Yes, but super easy. I am really dumb and scared to do things like this, but even I was able to undue the screws from the back, slide the cover apart and put a small screwdriver to the trim pot, from the back of the unit. Closed it back up and done!
unless you f*** up and go for the wrong trim (like i did)

Last edited by ibtl; 11th January 2021 at 08:26 PM..
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Static/crackle interference noise?

I believe I saw this mentioned before I got my personal unit in hand, but can't remember exactly. Has anyone else noticed any sort of crackle/static noise, caused by interference? In a mix, I don't notice it much, but in quiet parts, where it is just the TD-3 playing, I notice all sorts of background crackling, static burst noises. I have tried to power off the unit and back on, I tried switching between waveforms, turning the distortion on and off and even all of the knob settings, make no difference. It is constantly there. I wondered if it could be caused by interference, so I unplugged my modem and router and moved my phone away from my desk and the noise is a lot less present, if not totally gone. This has me believe the TD-3 is picking up interference noise, from other devices.

Is this normal? Would any TD-3 unit do this, if placed near router/modem etc, or this specific to just my unit (or a small amount of them). I want to know if swapping it out makes a difference, or if this is unfortunately, by design.

I understand it is a cheaper unit, but is there anything they could have done, to help cut out interference? I am in a small/cramped room and don't really have a choice where to place things, so I am stuck dealing with this.

What really bothers me, is I am using Mogami Quad cables, which are designed to cut out all interference noise, yet I am still getting it. I don't think it is caused by the cabling, but the chassis/case, of the TD-3 itself.

So, is anyone else experiencing this? Is there anything I can do to eliminate this noise, outside of moving the unit elsewhere, or constantly unplugging my router/modem?

Thanks so much.
Yes I get interference from my phone and computer if they are too close to the TD-3. Especially noticed it with headphones connected directly, but normally it's fine. Hopefully you can give it some more space, away from phone or computer, and that should solve it. I'm sure real-deal 303 could have the same issues, unbalanced connections and all.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK ➡️
Yes I get interference from my phone and computer if they are too close to the TD-3. Especially noticed it with headphones connected directly, but normally it's fine. Hopefully you can give it some more space, away from phone or computer, and that should solve it. I'm sure real-deal 303 could have the same issues, unbalanced connections and all.
Thanks so much for getting back to me BAK, I really appreciate it. I am extremely relieved that I am not the only one and this is (somewhat) normal and expected? I thought something was wrong with my unit and dreaded the thought of having to return/exchange it, especially during the pandemic, where everything is closed down and slow. I guess there is no point in returning/exchanging it, as the next will likely exhibit the same thing?

Is the noise you experience a crackling/static type sound?

I am going to have to see what I can do, to maybe move my router/modem out of the way. Not going to be easy, with them being hard wired to my computer.

The phone is easy, I can just take that to another room.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I preordered purple when it was first announced in September, now Sweetwater has them listed fir 109.00 instead of 149.00. Long story short, I got a refund. Anyway, just alerting you guys of a massive price drop.
Old 11th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quick query: Can a TD-3 be used to sequence another synth, rompler or sampler?
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I believe I saw this mentioned before I got my personal unit in hand, but can't remember exactly. Has anyone else noticed any sort of crackle/static noise, caused by interference? In a mix, I don't notice it much, but in quiet parts, where it is just the TD-3 playing, I notice all sorts of background crackling, static burst noises. I have tried to power off the unit and back on, I tried switching between waveforms, turning the distortion on and off and even all of the knob settings, make no difference. It is constantly there. I wondered if it could be caused by interference, so I unplugged my modem and router and moved my phone away from my desk and the noise is a lot less present, if not totally gone. This has me believe the TD-3 is picking up interference noise, from other devices.
This is unfortunately normal. Try get it away from interfering sources.
Old 12th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjaymun ➡️
Quick query: Can a TD-3 be used to sequence another synth, rompler or sampler?
Yes
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakehousememory ➡️
And do not connect the usb cable, but use 5 pin midi
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen ➡️
And do not connect the usb cable, but use 5 pin midi
Thank you so much guys. lakehousememory, you are just the guy I was hoping to hear back from. In searching around more, I saw you did in fact mention this same behaviour, back last March. I take you never did get it resolved, without moving the unit, to another location? You never did a return/exchange?

This is definitely unfortunate for sure, but I am actually finding it quite fortunate, that this is expected and that nothing is faulty with my personal unit. I will simply have to find a new place for my Router and see how that fares.

Mprinsen, I only use 5pin DIN already. I only use USB to update firmware and then its unplugged, but thanks for the suggestion.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
got a hum the other day on the mixer that i traced back to TD3 and i freaked me out. turned out it was another PSU. so i thought that had gone bad. but it was really the positioning of cables. so yeah, can confirm. nothing to worry about, just have to take it into account (no USB, just MIDI).
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
keep thinking it would be fun to have a little device to feed CVs to the 5 pots, randomly generated, if you can't a**ed to actually manipulate them yourself. optocouplers apparently, and then a little CPU that decides if it's just random s&h changes, or sweeps for A to B positions, so the little chap can just do its own thing.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I take you never did get it resolved, without moving the unit, to another location? You never did a return/exchange?
No I was planning to return it but since it seemed to be normal behaviour I kept it. Just have it on another part of my desk and it's fine
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No I was planning to return it but since it seemed to be normal behaviour I kept it. Just have it on another part of my desk and it's fine
Thanks so much. Puts my OCD to rest. I appreciate it.
Old 14th January 2021 | Show parent
xox
Gear Nut
Haven't seen anyone mentioning this issue but on my win7 PC the sequence section of the synth tool remains in full screen mode and I can not change this even with "alt+tab"
It is a problem to save or load a pattern or full memory because the pop up window never shows up!
The only workaround I found is doing "ctrl+alt+sup" and then "esc".

Is this a known issue? Is there a fix?
Old 20th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
For your entertainment:

Old 20th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
lime is pretty nice.
Old 22nd January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hi, sorry for the simple questions, but it's hard to find guides on this little synth.
I have 2 questions if anyone knows. First, if I have a simple 16 beat midi roll in my DAW sending midi (using USB for midi) to the TD-3 what settings on the TD-3 do I need to set to hear them through the TD-3?

Also, I've been playing around with the synth tool and pattern tool (midi via USB) on my computer, and I can make patterns, but how do I save those patterns to the TD-3?

Thanks again and sorry for the simple questions, I don't know why im having such a hard time with this plastic box :p
Or is there a good guide posted online? The manual is useless
Old 22nd January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiEtoffe ➡️
Hi, sorry for the simple questions, but it's hard to find guides on this little synth.
I have 2 questions if anyone knows. First, if I have a simple 16 beat midi roll in my DAW sending midi (using USB for midi) to the TD-3 what settings on the TD-3 do I need to set to hear them through the TD-3?

Also, I've been playing around with the synth tool and pattern tool (midi via USB) on my computer, and I can make patterns, but how do I save those patterns to the TD-3?

Thanks again and sorry for the simple questions, I don't know why im having such a hard time with this plastic box :p
Or is there a good guide posted online? The manual is useless
If you are sending midi notes and not using the internal sequencer of the TD-3, you must set the clock of the TD-3 to internal, so it doesn't accept and play along to any incoming midi clock. It will simply trigger the notes to the tempo they are being sent in at, from the tempo of your DAW.

If you aren't having much luck with USB, hopefully you can use 5 pin DIN Midi, which I found works much better. I only used the USB once, to do the firmware update and adjust the settings, it has then been 5 pin midi from my Keystep Pro, ever since.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 23rd January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

thanks, I got it sorted, I needed to both change the channel and set it to track write mode, not pattern
Old 25th January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

TD 3 song

TD 3 is really great for the price.
Here´s a song I made with four tracks TD 3.

Old 5th February 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hello,

I wanted to check and see if people are having the same problem as me...

When sequencing the TD-3 directly from a Beatstep Pro the very short overlapping notes generated by the Beatstep fail to cause the notes to slide when set to 'Last' priority in synthtool. 'High' and 'Low' work as expected. I'm running the latest firmware on both.

Thanks.
Old 5th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940nm ➡️
Hello,

I wanted to check and see if people are having the same problem as me...

When sequencing the TD-3 directly from a Beatstep Pro the very short overlapping notes generated by the Beatstep fail to cause the notes to slide when set to 'Last' priority in synthtool. 'High' and 'Low' work as expected. I'm running the latest firmware on both.

Thanks.
Is the beatstep connected via midi directly to the TD-3? Or is there a midi processor/daw in between?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen ➡️
Is the beatstep connected via midi directly to the TD-3? Or is there a midi processor/daw in between?
Direct connection with a MIDI cable.

I can play the notes and get the slides up and down with the pads, but then I'm holding the last note for much longer than the Beatstep Pro sequencer.

I've looked at what the Beatstep Pro sends via a MIDI analyser and the note off and note on messages sent within the same timestamp but one after each other - but if everything is processed serially by the TD-3 it should know to glide, especially as it works for low or high priority.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Direct connection with a MIDI cable.

I can play the notes and get the slides up and down with the pads, but then I'm holding the last note for much longer than the Beatstep Pro sequencer.

I've looked at what the Beatstep Pro sends via a MIDI analyser and the note off and note on messages sent within the same timestamp but one after each other - but if everything is processed serially by the TD-3 it should know to glide, especially as it works for low or high priority.
Been working on an app recently that has had serious issues with a bunch of hardware and software because of shared timestamps, if the timestamp is shared, the recieving device has no way defined in the MIDI standard itself to know which message is first, its a complete ballache to be honest.
Is there no way to add a tick delay to messages in beatstep?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle ➡️
Been working on an app recently that has had serious issues with a bunch of hardware and software because of shared timestamps, if the timestamp is shared, the recieving device has no way defined in the MIDI standard itself to know which message is first, its a complete ballache to be honest.
Is there no way to add a tick delay to messages in beatstep?
Unfortunately not, the Beatstep Pro has two monophonic melodic sequencers and the note tie function was implemented, to tie notes, and to slightly overlap for glide/portamento implementations like this... it all happens automatically with no user setting interaction.

The timestamp was just generated by the analyser. As you say, the data going down the standard midi cable will have no timestamps, but will naturally be sent serially so the TD-3 is receiving a note on message before the note off, but I can imagine it's being sent straight after the other one so milliseconds later. I just don't know how the TD-3 is handling messages, hopefully FIFO style.

I've sent support requests to Arturia and Behringer, if I hear anything of use I'll post their reply.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Unfortunately not, the Beatstep Pro has two monophonic melodic sequencers and the note tie function was implemented, to tie notes, and to slightly overlap for glide/portamento implementations like this... it all happens automatically with no user setting interaction.

The timestamp was just generated by the analyser. As you say, the data going down the standard midi cable will have no timestamps, but will naturally be sent serially so the TD-3 is receiving a note on message before the note off, but I can imagine it's being sent straight after the other one so milliseconds later. I just don't know how the TD-3 is handling messages, hopefully FIFO style.

I've sent support requests to Arturia and Behringer, if I hear anything of use I'll post their reply.
All MIDI messages have a timestamp, if they are the same, the TD3 has to guess which was first, I dont know the beatstep at all, but it would seem that is at fault if it is sending note on and offs on the same timestamp, there should be at least a tick difference.
📝 Reply