The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sequential Pro 3
Old 15th January 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arder ➡️
But that would sound completely random in a way that the result would be barely distinguishable from any different wavetable modulated by another LFO. What's the point? Endless micro-varieties on a synth-fart theme? Then plug maths on top of that? This is approaching the asymptote of practical synthesis. By all means, enjoy.
Using something like this can be really useful, especially if used subtlety in ambient music.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance ➡️
There's always a limit, depending on what you like, yes. But then you just scale back to one VCO, the SEM filter, add a little analogue distortion and you can have simple, melodic synth lines. With another VCO mixed in as a sub-osc, if desired.

Just because it's all there doesn't mean you have to use all of it all the time.
That’s exactly it. When working on the sounds, sometimes I’d just find myself listening to a single vco through whichever filter with nothing going on modulation wise and was just floored with the pure tone. That kind of stuff is what this synth is about as far as I’m concerned and honestly that’s the kind of stuff you really need when working on records with bands.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz ➡️
Looks amazing, great time to be poor..
Old 15th January 2020
Kja
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Or with some oscillators and envelopes, with almost no modulation, you can create almost rompler quality instruments like piano's and Rhodes. It is nice to have a ton of modulation, but that is a different thing then how expressive and versatile the components actually are though. Thankfully this synth has about the best in the business.. probably the best actually, but who knows for sure..
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
When I first saw this I was like "Oh man, they finally made a polyphonic Pro 2"
Then the disappointment fell...just another monosynth

Oh well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezisehtnys ➡️
Bass compensated ladder filter you say...
I was about to say, here's your synth! VCOs, 3 different filters, tons of modulation options, velocity, aftertouch... it's calling your name!

I noticed both VCOs have sync buttons. What do they sync to? Oscillator 3? Each other? Selectable? 3 to 2, 2 to 1? The mind wondereth.
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
are the wave tables similar to evolver or p12, or are we looking at something new? user wavetables?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
OSC 1 syncs to 2, and 2 syncs to 3.

New wavetables!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz ➡️
I was about to say, here's your synth! VCOs, 3 different filters, tons of modulation options, velocity, aftertouch... it's calling your name!

I noticed both VCOs have sync buttons. What do they sync to? Oscillator 3? Each other? Selectable? 3 to 2, 2 to 1? The mind wondereth.
I know right! Nice to know my whimsical needs are being implemented by more companies.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➡️
If it’s not meant to replace the pro 2 then I wish it hadn’t been discontinued lol
Yep. And another mono. I’m back on the fence.
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I look at this more like an ultimate version of the Toraiz AS-1 more than the Pro 2. Seems to build on everything that does well and adds the wave tables and filter choices. I dig my AS-1 and Ive been seriously considering a P6, but need to give this some thought...

Pretty damn cool. Can you chain two of these together for 6 note paraphonic?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
No polychain currently.

I should point out that the VCO design is new and unique from the Prophet/OB 6! There is wave shaping on the saw and triangle waves in addition to the square wave when shape mod is used.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd ➡️
No polychain currently.

I should point out that the VCO design is new and unique from the Prophet/OB 6! There is wave shaping on the saw and triangle waves in addition to the square wave when shape mod is used.
Bad ass!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
maybe the p12 equivalent is next? like the p12/pro2 release but in reverse
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
With all the great synth designers that must’ve been in the room, together with Dave, while creating this synth, nobody thought of how cool it would be to find a way to route all 3 analog filters (that were already there inside the synth) in series to create wild formant bass sounds?
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The VCO's sound similar to Moog One in demos. Also the added ladder filter makes me feel this is some kind of Sequential-Moog collaboration..
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
looks beautiful. addresses the issue that some people had with the digital oscs on the p2. probably be over 3k over here in oz, but it’s nice to dream.

been waiting a year for this to come out. kudos to dave and team, still running sh!t in 2020!

now i wait patiently for demos
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
@ cbmd

Is the VCA analog?

Are the envelopes linear or exponential (or better yet, continuously variable between the two)?
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
The look of it gives me a serious TVP vibe, prolly be over 4k in oz like the pro 2 was.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPOUTE ➡️
Less oscillators, less envelopes and less LFOs than its predecessor. Not a good start.............
Other than the name, this doesn't seem to have anything to do with the Pro 2. I would look at it as a completely new/different synth.

Pete
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia ➡️
I pre-ordered an Osmose during the earliest, steepest discounting. I've been waiting for a really expressive controller that doesn't compromise on looking and feeling like a conventional keyboard action, so I couldn't resist. If early impressions from non-endorsers at NAMM and other shows raise concerns I can always change my mind, but it looks like a good fit for my needs in that space.

While the digital synth engine it packs certainly looks intriguing, it isn't really in the same space as what Sequential seems poised to announce. I have room reserved for both if they live up to expectations!
I assume you got the same email, but looks like the osmose won't be at NAMM. I was hoping to play with it.

(I also pre-ordered early on)

Pete

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm ➡️
@ cbmd

Is the VCA analog?

Are the envelopes linear or exponential (or better yet, continuously variable between the two)?
I speculate that
DSI likes software envelopes. And they don't care about user defined curves. So fixed curve software envelopes

Last edited by golden beers; 15th January 2020 at 09:42 AM..
Deleted 53763de
Is the special edition limited production in any way? Or is it going to be available for the foreseeable future?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
@ cbmd

Is the VCA analog?

likely start off linear

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers ➡️
I speculate that
DSI likes software envelopes. And they don't care about user defined curves. So fixed curve software envelopes
I speculate that they are mod sources and destinations like in my other DSI synths so you can adjust the curves to some degree yourself by feeding itself back to itself
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru ➡️
l speculate that they are mod sources and destinations like in my other DSI synths so you can adjust the curves to some degree yourself by feeding itself back to itself
That’s what I do on the Pro-2. You can shape the envelope to get as snappy as you want this way. I presume the Pro-3 works the same way. Some of the demos sound very bubbly and snappy so I wouldn’t be worried about that!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unease ➡️
That’s what I do on the Pro-2. You can shape the envelope to get as snappy as you want this way. I presume the Pro-3 works the same way. Some of the demos sound very bubbly and snappy so I wouldn’t be worried about that!
Yup, this works for sure.

It would certainly be far easier/faster to just have a setting for exp-lin though, just saying, it should easily be do-able with software envs.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

It would certainly be far easier/faster to just have a setting for exp-lin though, just saying, it should easily be do-able with software envs.
yeah for sure, i often have a few mod slots used just for the envs.

Deepmind implementation is nice and easy, they should clone that
Lives for gear

looks good and sounds very very nice

cant say id be happy having 3 really nice filters but only able to use 1 at a time.

spose gotta make room for a four in the future.
Lives for gear

Quote:

and pretty much a must with the tempest,

is extremely vesatile if a little cumbersome to set.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru ➡️
yeah for sure, i often have a few mod slots used just for the envs.

Deepmind implementation is nice and easy, they should clone that
Better yet the EGs from Andromeda
📝 Reply