The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sequential Pro 3
Old 11th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

you're talking about legato/portamento slides and not sequencing glides right?

I am asking because this is new information to me...that a glide goes chromatically by slide is....not?

I actually don't know...but of course glides are sequence-able
Gear Nut

Yeah I emailed but get the impression they are pretty lukewarm for whatever reason... I think it would involve giving up a sequencer track
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _CK_ ➡️
you're talking about legato/portamento slides and not sequencing glides right?

I am asking because this is new information to me...that a glide goes chromatically by slide is....not?

I actually don't know...but of course glides are sequence-able
You can turn glide on for all steps. But you can’t sequence glide per step like on hundreds of other monosynth sequencers.
Old 12th March 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
hopefully getting one in a month or two, pretty excited after listening to demos, seems like the prettier sister to the pro2

people who have used one alongside other good analogs, tell me what you like and dislike about it?
Old 13th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
After stepping on a cord and breaking off one of the output jacks some months ago, which was not a HUGE inconvenience since mono is generally preferable to me, especially on a mono synth, I finally bit the bullet and sent it to Sequential for repair last week.
Just got word that it is on its way back. Note that this was self-inflicted, not a warranty repair, etc. The cost? $25. I did pay to ship it there, but they paid to ship it back. So Sequential essentially lost money on the deal short term- but gained my undying respect for their level of support. Props. Will not be the last Sequential instrument I buy.
Old 13th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
great company
Old 14th March 2021
Gear Nut

Back again! Still deciding on this and I've come to an interesting question that I'm hoping someone here can help answer...

So I just acquired a Prophet 6, and I have this musical "vision" of something droney/ambient in the background as I use it for leads/bass. There's something about the Moog sound, which led me to a few hours at the local music shop, patch cables in hand, demoing the Matriarch. After watching quite a few vids on YT, I came across this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Aj...eBrainCircuits

Yes, it's technically being used for the Grandmother, but the point of it is, I'm wondering if a device like this could be used to extend the Pro 3 beyond 3 voice paraphonic (I do prefer the patch storage and not having to bring cables, despite the Matriarch's engaging color scheme)?

I know there are CV outs on the Pro 3, and it appears this guy is using the 2 Osc's and Noise as a sound source to push the GM to 3 voices, instead of 1. Can you make a similar assignment of the 3 osc's and the noise to the CV in on the P3 (and/or maybe even an LFO)?
I read through some of the manual and it almost appears this would be easy, but it's hard to know without having one available to me.

I know the arp/sequencer/delays + a long release time can give a single voice a lot of character, but I'm a chord guy, and I like using 7ths (or at least triads + bass).

Am I overthinking all of this and should just trying to use a single voice of the P6 to run as a sequence in the background, then use the other 5 voices so achieve what I'm after, or am I somewhere close to reason in thinking I'll benefit from the Pro 3/Matriarch (yes the Pro 2 fits, but I want VCOs)?
Old 14th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr2 ➡️
Back again! Still deciding on this and I've come to an interesting question that I'm hoping someone here can help answer...

So I just acquired a Prophet 6, and I have this musical "vision" of something droney/ambient in the background as I use it for leads/bass. There's something about the Moog sound, which led me to a few hours at the local music shop, patch cables in hand, demoing the Matriarch. After watching quite a few vids on YT, I came across this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Aj...eBrainCircuits

Yes, it's technically being used for the Grandmother, but the point of it is, I'm wondering if a device like this could be used to extend the Pro 3 beyond 3 voice paraphonic (I do prefer the patch storage and not having to bring cables, despite the Matriarch's engaging color scheme)?

I know there are CV outs on the Pro 3, and it appears this guy is using the 2 Osc's and Noise as a sound source to push the GM to 3 voices, instead of 1. Can you make a similar assignment of the 3 osc's and the noise to the CV in on the P3 (and/or maybe even an LFO)?
I read through some of the manual and it almost appears this would be easy, but it's hard to know without having one available to me.

I know the arp/sequencer/delays + a long release time can give a single voice a lot of character, but I'm a chord guy, and I like using 7ths (or at least triads + bass).

Am I overthinking all of this and should just trying to use a single voice of the P6 to run as a sequence in the background, then use the other 5 voices so achieve what I'm after, or am I somewhere close to reason in thinking I'll benefit from the Pro 3/Matriarch (yes the Pro 2 fits, but I want VCOs)?
In theory but it would be fiddly and I’m not sure how reliable the results would be. He’s not using noise he’s using the LFO as a VCO. So to do that on the Pro 3 you would need to route the audio out via CV out and back in as ext audio. But I don’t know well the rate tracks to voltage. The LFOs might also be filtered pass a certain range, making them even more limited.

I would just the Prophet 6. If you want a more Moogy paraphonic sound you could always route all 6 P6 VCOs into the Pro 3’s ladder filter.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyaguy ➡️
I would just the Prophet 6. If you want a more Moogy paraphonic sound you could always route all 6 P6 VCOs into the Pro 3’s ladder filter.
So basically use the P3 as a filter, then use it's own voice for the leads/bass. Yea, that probably makes the most sense...thanks!
Old 14th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So, the Pro3 can use the oscillators as a mod source routed to pretty much anything. This is not that common and I only have some synths that allow for regular FM, filter fm, or similar.

So does anyone know of some good uses, or examples of unconventional routings using the osc’s as a source with good results?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen ➡️
So, the Pro3 can use the oscillators as a mod source routed to pretty much anything. This is not that common and I only have some synths that allow for regular FM, filter fm, or similar.

So does anyone know of some good uses, or examples of unconventional routings using the osc’s as a source with good results?
Here are starting points:

- Osc to LFO. This will create some warbly variations to your LFO so that it’s not the same shape cycling over and over. The variations will also be different for each note played if keytracking for the Osc is on
- Osc to reverb time. This creates really grainy reverb textures that are perfect for some patches
- Osc 3 to CV Out. This will output audio. Now you can use the wavetable Osc as a second timbre, either by itself straight to your mixer or through an external filter, VCA, and fx.
Lives for gear

- Noise to filter cutoff, just a tiny bit to add some dirt.

- Oscillator to pan can create some interesting stereo effects. It may cause some distorsion also though.

- Envelope to decay/release time of the same envelope will alter the curve of the decay/release. About 5-10 in modulation amount is often enough to get a snappier curve.

- Oscillator to oscillator shape will create new waveforms.
Old 16th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr2 ➡️

Assuming the Moog One's out of your budget?

Seems like a bit of extra length to go to but depends on your vision. I love polys & sometimes think about swapping out the Pro 3 for the P6 but way beyond the switchable filters, the Pro 3 is insanely flexible that I can't bring myself to do it. And I haven't even begun to start exploring it, just used it off-the-shelf on some tracks but compared to the OB-6, it can go places old analogs can only dream of (except 4+ note polyphony, of course).
Gear Addict
One of the things I love about the Pro 3 is how portable it is for such a quality synth (unlike say the Elektron Analog Keys, which felt plasticky & cheap). I lugged it next door to track the lead here:

Not sure if the embed is starting at the right point but if you skip ahead to ~2min mark, every synth from this point in the video is the Pro 3 except for the Moogy resonant sequence that creeps in later (Matriarch) & the piano-like synth at the end (Microvolt).

I prefer polys so would love to be able to sell one of the Pro 3 or the Matriarch but I'm resigned that I "need" them both.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdvb ➡️
Assuming the Moog One's out of your budget?
...and THEN some! It's fantastic, but space is at a premium, the one time I played it I thought I was looking at an airplane cockpit, and the slight delay between switching patches irked me. I know there's many layers, which is likely why, but I just couldn't get past it.

If the Pro 3 had one more voice, I'd be 100% sold. The Matriarch has it, but no patch memory, they just don't make this easy do they

Hopefully the next Sequential synth will be a "Pro 8," with 2 VCOs, I'll sell the 6 and stop lurking on GS to find ways to waste money
Old 17th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Well, I did it. I pulled the trigger on a Pro 3 from AMS that should be coming pretty soon. I don't "need" it, but I am really looking for a beefy and versatile synth to use live. I am really wanting to retire my trusty Ensoniq SQ-80 to the music studio. I realize the Pro 3 is a different beast being mono, not strictly wavetable, etc. but it is more about the tone. The SQ-80 has a pretty huge sound live despite the DCOs, I chalk it up to analog Curtis filters. I do have analog VCO in poly in the Korg Prologue 8, but it just seems too nice to take out with those wood side panels. I also have a bunch of poly digitals: Blofeld, but that one is cumbersome live for changing patches, the Korg Opsix and Wavestate. The WS is surprisingly like a wavetable synth if you make more traditional patches rather than the long, evolving ones, but it is a little tricky. And the sound is very digital. I did use it live and it did ok, but sometimes it lacks the oomph for leads and basses. The SQ-80 was kind of a chameleon in that it could get pretty close to analog, yet still do that wavetable stuff and still sound pretty full. Really looking forward to the Sequential!
Old 17th March 2021
Lives for gear

Congrats! I think you'll love it. It has some really thoughtful features for playing live, like the set list and cue program functions.
Old 18th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
nice vid dude. cool cemetery
Deleted 7f2cf6c
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdvb ➡️
One of the things I love about the Pro 3 is how portable it is for such a quality synth (unlike say the Elektron Analog Keys, which felt plasticky & cheap). I lugged it next door to track the lead here:

Not sure if the embed is starting at the right point but if you skip ahead to ~2min mark, every synth from this point in the video is the Pro 3 except for the Moogy resonant sequence that creeps in later (Matriarch) & the piano-like synth at the end (Microvolt).

I prefer polys so would love to be able to sell one of the Pro 3 or the Matriarch but I'm resigned that I "need" them both.
You know the digitone keys is a very deep poly that is built like a tank and is only 10 pounds and pretty compact.. I love mine, it makes my prophet 6 feel like a elephant.. And it is pretty compact for a analog poly itself.. You might like it..
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Main OS 1.1.2.5 Firmware update

Bug Fix: power cycle occasionally required after instrument sits idle
Bug Fix: if program change received at same timestamp as MIDI note, MIDI note is ignored
Bug Fix: stereo delay warbles with clock-synced delay times when synced to external MIDI clock
Bug Fix: LFO frequency resets to zero starting point of waveform with LFO sync on and new frequency setting less than previous setting
Bug Fix: clicks on program changes using cue program
Bug Fix: fixed USB MIDI problems when host computer goes to sleep
Bug Fix: sequencer transpose from keyboard does not work when sequencer triggered from CV inputs
Bug Fix: Touch slider doesn't work in Play List mode
Bug Fix: Using Show button does not allow to switch between LFO 1, 2 or 3
Bug Fix: Global for Pedal Function missing entry for Volume
Bug Fix: USB transmission ceases following reception of wavetable sysex via USB
Various other small bug fixes, optimizations and improvements
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
can anyone confirm that their Pro3SE is not a Brick after this.
Gear Addict

Thanks, I think I will too. I like the sound of the original Pro One, and also the Multimoog as used by Steve Winwood. I used to have the little DSI Mopho module which was a great little monosynth for cheap with a pretty big sound. I am looking forward to having a mono lead and bass synth (plus a lot more) in the arsenal again.
Pym
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
We figured out why that was happening and tested on a few different units before reposting. If we get anybody having problems we'll get you sorted quick, this should be solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatWilson ➡️
can anyone confirm that their Pro3SE is not a Brick after this.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
awesome thanks.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
all good here, did via USB and it worked just fine
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
updated via usb with no issues! Thanks Sequential
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Had to recalibrate the osc's afterwards but other than that smooth as usual
finally after 9 months I can use the synced stereo delay without feeling sea sick.
Old 18th March 2021
Lives for gear

Updated. No issues.
Gear Maniac

Me too. Update went smooth.
Old 19th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Same here, install update via USB (Mac), everything’s working fine
📝 Reply