The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Roland Jupiter X / XM
Old 3rd March 2021
Lives for gear

So can I assume that this is coming to the Fantom as well?
Old 3rd March 2021 | Show parent
Marketing Manager at Cherry Audio

My yawn for the JD800 could not be any bigger, but the new features look nice. Maybe we’ll get an ABM expansion next time. But it looks like the crowd spoke and the gods listened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogColonic ➡️
Can you add the JD800 to the JX without removing something else? Or must something be sacrificed to the vintage dance gods.
Nothing needs to be removed, not even Wave Expansions.

Quote:
The blurb seems to indicate you have to buy the lifetime key to install onto a Jupiter X/m, that's a bit naff seeing as System 8 just got the Juno 60 for free.
Yes.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn ➡️
My yawn for the JD800 could not be any bigger, but the new features look nice. Maybe we’ll get an ABM expansion next time. But it looks like the crowd spoke and the gods listened.
To ease your pain: the JD Multi effect is fun to use on ABM sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wald ➡️
To ease your pain: the JD Multi effect is fun to use on ABM sounds.
Not pain, just numbness and boredom. I’m going to guess that there’s not a single JD800 tone that couldn’t have already been done with ZEN-Core as-is. But I will enjoy finally having controls for PWM and XMOD, 14 months later.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Not pain, just numbness and boredom. I’m going to guess that there’s not a single JD800 tone that couldn’t have already been done with ZEN-Core as-is. But I will enjoy finally having controls for PWM and XMOD, 14 months later.
And you just know they'll do it once more with the 990 model expansion

I guess a lot of it depends on how well they captured the peculiarities of the JD800 filter. Paul_xyz surely will have insights soon....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A V-Synth/Variphrase or JP-8000/8080 expansion would have been way cooler imo.

I’m busy doing dishes but I saw mention that the update now allows the X/Xm to control the Model Expansion RC software. If true, that’s nice. A link between the hardware and software has been sorely missing. Guess I better finish the dishes.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by javd007 ➡️
Also new effects added :

Gated reverb,
Phonograph
Exciter
JD Chorus

The "JD-800 Model Expansion" Roland Cloud content (available for purchase) is now supported.
MFX types have been added (Phonograph, Exciter, and JD-Multi).
SYSTEM/SCENE effect types have been added (Chorus: JV Chorus, Reverb: Gated Reverb).
MFX types can now be classified by category.
MIDI Control Change (CC) messages are now effective with specific tone parameters.
The MODEL RD-PIANO can now also be used with PART 2 through 4.
* When RD-PIANO is used with a PART from 2 to 4, ordinary MFX is applied instead of the model-specific Sympathetic Resonance effect.
TONE values are now also concurrently initialized during SCENE initialization.
Bug Fixes
The following bugs were fixed.
Minor bugs have been fixed.

SUCK IT SYSTEM 8.
Yes. System 8 sure is sucking it. Jupiter X and Xm owners paying $149 for a template and patches for a “model” that adds nothing to the synth in terms of waveforms or structure while System 8 owners enjoy more accurate models for free like the Juno 60 that add actual new synths. From roland cloud “ The JD-800 Model Expansion is only compatible with the JUPITER X and JUPITER XM at this time. The JD-800 Lifetime Key is $149.00 USD and is required to download the Model Expansion to compatible hardware. ”
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I suspect the JUNO-60 is free only because Plug-Out doesn't have any DRM built-in. Plug-Out predates the Cloud business model. They couldn't sell it to you even if they wanted to: you can load wtv you want with a free Cloud trial.

Anyway, I was expecting them to plug that leak when I saw what they did for Zen Model Expansions (they're tied to you rather than tied to the hardware), but looks like they haven't reached that point yet.

Thing is Plug-Out isn't a big market: few products feature it currently, and I don't expect many more will any time soon, it's very niche in it applications. Maybe it's just not worth the trouble.

Model Expansions on the other hand are sure to show up in many products, are designed to be easy to make (ACB is laborious), and aren't limited to nananalog, allowing for a wider range of products sold to a wider range of people. They've built a whole a business there. Which means making more Model Expansions is significantly more appealing than making more Plug-Outs.

How long was the wait for that Juno?

Quote:
I’m busy doing dishes but I saw mention that the update now allows the X/Xm to control the Model Expansion RC software. If true, that’s nice. A link between the hardware and software has been sorely missing. Guess I better finish the dishes.
It's true. A new System menu setting TONE CC MAP allows the X/Xm to be used as a controller, probably with any mappable software. I've tried it in Zenology and so far it works, though it gets a bit weird and complex with ZEN-Core Tones.
Old 3rd March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As a Zenology sound source is the 101 identical to the xm? Are all models available in both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering ➡️
As a Zenology sound source is the 101 identical to the xm? Are all models available in both?
The Model Expansions of ZENOLOGY are identical to the Models of the X/Xm. Same engine, sound the same, including the SH-101.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorian ➡️
Was anyone expecting a JD-800 model? [...]
AFAIK, Roland never said what they would do next exactly, but they did mention in a Japanese interview that people were asking them to do the JD-800.
Old 3rd March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So I’m a little confused, the JD800 model expansion is not ABM? What is it then?

Also the JD800 has multi mode filters, we were just saying the other day XM could never do a JP6 model because ZC has no multi mode filters per voice .. so could this be proof that an update could bring MM filters, 4 osc waveforms etc? I mean it’s all software so anything should be possible right?

In any case it’s really great to get an XM update with new features!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you mean the mc101
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppgwave ➡️
For me this is everything: "It is now possible to manipulate PULSE WIDTH MOD and CROSS MOD parameters using the OSC3 / OSC4 slider when using JP Model Tones"
Jupiter-X exclusive it seems (XM doesn't have a slider mixer section and that feature only appears on JPX release notes).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 611 phone repair ➡️
Do you mean the mc101
Yes, are all models included in the XM also included in de 101? Or does the 101 only include what’s in the free Zenology in RC?
Old 3rd March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^ No, the ABM models are only available for Jupiter X/XM hardware synths.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, are all models included in the XM also included in de 101? Or does the 101 only include what’s in the free Zenology in RC?
No models on the mc101 just zencore unfortunately, would be cool if you could load a model to it though
Lives for gear
Quote:
It's true. A new System menu setting TONE CC MAP allows the X/Xm to be used as a controller, probably with any mappable software. I've tried it in Zenology and so far it works, though it gets a bit weird and complex with ZEN-Core Tones.
this is very welcome - it sends out CCs instead of sysex for a bunch of knobs and responds to those CCs. Makes for a much better integration with DAWs and cc based midi controllers. It looks like the CCs are the same as the table in the JD-800 expansion manual (see attached).

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➡️
So I’m a little confused, the JD800 model expansion is not ABM? What is it then?

Also the JD800 has multi mode filters, we were just saying the other day XM could never do a JP6 model because ZC has no multi mode filters per voice .. so could this be proof that an update could bring MM filters, 4 osc waveforms etc? I mean it’s all software so anything should be possible right?!
It's a digital synth, so I expect it just uses the existing TVF filters which is fine for vintage digital character but not for analog filter emulation (the analog models use the much higher quality VCF filter models).

aded: just read the manual for the expansion and it is using the TVF.
Attached Thumbnails
New Roland Jupiter X / XM-xm-ccs.png  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_xyz ➡️
just read the manual for the expansion and it is using the TVF.
And Palette mode is back!

https://static.roland.com/assets/med...00_eng01_W.pdf

All the english manuals have been updated btw.

https://www.roland.com/global/suppor...wners_manuals/
Old 3rd March 2021
Lives for gear
I was just typing a post about palette mode - really hoping that get broken out of the model UI and moved to general zencore.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_xyz ➡️
moved to general zencore.
My thought exactly.

That's what I asked for in the first Roland Backstage survey anyway.
Looking forward how it's been implemented though, especially with 4 digits parameter values instead of the usual 3.
Gear Head

I did a video on the Jupiter-X recently and a comment on the video someone asked, is the Jupiter-X worth it as it relates to having the same Zen Core engine as the much more affordable Zenology Pro plugin? I thought I'd share my thoughts on that, check it out if interested.

Also, the new firmware and expansion look interesting. Looking forward to checking all that out this weekend!

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbluefish ➡️
I did a video on the Jupiter-X recently and a comment on the video someone asked, is the Jupiter-X worth it as it relates to having the same Zen Core engine as the much more affordable Zenology Pro plugin? I thought I'd share my thoughts on that, check it out if interested.

Also, the new firmware and expansion look interesting. Looking forward to checking all that out this weekend!

I just watched that vid.

Really well done and explains the whole Zen system very well.

Also cements why I kept JPX over S8. I feel there is much more to come from the Zen-core engine.

I kind of wish Korg would do a Trident Chassis with a new software system to recreate all their legacy products in a similar way to the JPX. (Not the old KLC Legacy s/w, but something new and more accurate).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wonder if they modelled the jd800-990 tvf filters which were far superior sounding to everything released afterwards , or just use the zencore tvf filters
Also , the jd800 structure is just the standard pcm strucuture without the advanced routings ( all to be found in the zencore engine )
What can this expansion do that the basic zen core can not ( minus the serial effects routings ) ?
This seems like just another paint job , curious to hear some comparisons
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid ➡️
I wonder if they modelled the jd800-990 tvf filters which were far superior sounding to everything released afterwards , or just use the zencore tvf filters
Also , the jd800 structure is just the standard pcm strucuture without the advanced routings ( all to be found in the zencore engine )
What can this expansion do that the basic zen core can not ( minus the serial effects routings ) ?
This seems like just another paint job , curious to hear some comparisons
I'm not spending $149 just to dig under the hood on what looks like a fancy waveform expansion+presets, but the firmware update facilitating the jd-800 didn't add any new TVF filter types or TVF parameters in zencore itself (as per menus and midi implementation), so I'd be very surprised if it's using anything other than the normal zencore TVF filters.

If anyone has bought the jd-800 model and uses the James K Hiser midi designer pro 2 ipad layouts, a sysex tone dump of a jd-800 model preset via this layout could shed light on it: https://mididesigner.com/qa/8146/lay...-xm-scene-dump
Old 3rd March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poumtschak ➡️
And Palette mode is back!
Palette mode?
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➡️
Palette mode?