The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland MC-707 & MC-101 Grooveboxes
Old 14th June 2022 | Show parent
  #8821
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon45112 ➡️
I am so close to buying MC 707 but then with my legendary "timing" I wouldn't be surprised if like 2 month from my purchase Roland out of nowhere just release something like Roland MC 909 or 9009 (pun intended - not thinking on older unit) - which would be like MC 707 just more ins-outs, more CPU and perhaps larger screen (and editor).

I mean they did shock us with the TR-8S which came as an unexpected but welcome upgrade to the whole AIRA line.

Where are the spies and leakers when you really need them...
The 707 was released in final quarter 2019 (so basically a 2020 release) and still carries both enough pre-existing bugs and features either implemented poorly or that simply aren't completely functional (ala the arp system), that it'd be pretty foolish of Roland/Taiyo Pacific Partners to abandon or render the 707 a second tier MC before more completely rounding it out. For the current gen, if 32 voice poly (more honest maximum poly then Roland's forwardly stated 64) and 8 timbre parts aren't enough, there's the Fantoms...... of which, suppose the Fantom0X series would basically stand as the equal to an MC-909, granted the Fantom0X loses out on the granular synth engine and many of the performance sequencer capabilities of the MC-707...... but for what it loses, it gains in doubling poly, timbre parts, while also adding a number of (supernatural) synth engines to the pallette to compliment the base Zen engine.
Old 14th June 2022 | Show parent
  #8822
Lives for gear
 
a2zEnt's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Still love my mc101. I wish they would do a key version similar to the jdxi. Just throw like 32 or 37 mini keys on the side as if adding a keystep but by it being integrated it would eliminate any other cables or power supplies making it imo the perfect mini song starter on the go. I can dream, can’t I?
Old 14th June 2022 | Show parent
  #8823
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien23 ➡️
granted the Fantom0X loses out on the granular synth engine and many of the performance sequencer capabilities of the MC-707......
Wait, the MC-707 has a granular synth engine?? Whereis that hidden??
Old 14th June 2022 | Show parent
  #8824
Lives for gear
 
cogsy's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen ➡️
Wait, the MC-707 has a granular synth engine?? Whereis that hidden??
Roland's promo materials sometimes refer to the scatter engine as a "granular synthesis" engine. There's a bunch of parameters in there to edit that can do granular-like things, but it's not always intuitive how to achieve a desired result.
Old 15th June 2022 | Show parent
  #8825
Gear Head
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuyLocs602 ➡️
Still love my mc101. I wish they would do a key version similar to the jdxi. Just throw like 32 or 37 mini keys on the side as if adding a keystep but by it being integrated it would eliminate any other cables or power supplies making it imo the perfect mini song starter on the go. I can dream, can’t I?
I've paired my 101 with my Yamaha Reface DX, which is a nice combination. The little speakers on the Reface are surprisingly good, and it has an Aux-in so you can plug the 101 into the Reface and have little jams in outdoors.

Both are battery powered, so only cables needed are MIDI in and out (with Yamaha's weirdo ps/2 adapter) and an audio jack to jack cable.
Old 16th June 2022 | Show parent
  #8826
Lives for gear
 
Tarekith's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
That's a pretty cool idea, would never have thought about using the built in speakers for that sort of thing
Old 16th June 2022 | Show parent
  #8827
All made with the MC-101, sampled via USB (PC IN).
Old 16th June 2022 | Show parent
  #8828
Lives for gear
 
cogsy's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00avenel00 ➡️
All made with the MC-101, sampled via USB (PC IN).
Very eerie and atmospheric . The Sin City sample made me chuckle.
Old 19th June 2022
  #8829
Here for the gear
 
So I'm just buying a 707, watched the 3 part roland tutorial on YouTube. Are there any other essential videos or tutorials i should watch before it arrives?

Just wanting to get the most out of this device.
Old 20th June 2022 | Show parent
  #8830
Lives for gear
 
Poumtschak's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsy ➡️
Roland's promo materials sometimes refer to the scatter engine as a "granular synthesis" engine.
The scatter engine is a programmable slicing effect that works at audio rate on the mix (or a selection of mixed parts), like the Publison gear of the 80s.
I'd love Roland to have it integrated at a lower level in the ZEN-Core synthesis engine and into the sequencer, Elektron style.
Old 20th June 2022 | Show parent
  #8831
Lives for gear
 
Tarekith's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Feroldi ➡️
So I'm just buying a 707, watched the 3 part roland tutorial on YouTube. Are there any other essential videos or tutorials i should watch before it arrives?

Just wanting to get the most out of this device.
Red Means Recordings has some interesting videos on how he does sampling with the 707.
Old 24th June 2022 | Show parent
  #8832
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen ➡️
Wait, the MC-707 has a granular synth engine?? Whereis that hidden??
As prior noted, the "Scatter" engine is a granular synthesis engine.
Old 25th June 2022 | Show parent
  #8833
Gear Maniac
 
PlasticFantastic's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
It’s weird , or maybe I missed the convo, how nobody mentions how great this is as a stand alone multi effects box.
I mean you can chain 13 effects on one source if you wanted, not to mention multiple filters and scatter modulation.
Then you have 16 effects chains per project to play with if you use clips.

As much as I think the effects are great and very usable , when I go over to use my iPad as a multi fx box in AUM , they do begin to sound Lo-Fi and dated.
But as a stand alone multi fx it is still very handy. I find the MC707 comes in handy for so many things.
Old 25th June 2022
  #8834
Lives for gear
 
Plastro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Not sure if I'm misreading something but if I'm editing a step in a sequence how do I get a step length longer than 4.99. For instance if I inputted a step that's too short and wanted it to extend for say 15? I thought maybe shift then knob adjustment but that takes me out of edit mode. I

Last edited by Plastro; 25th June 2022 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 25th June 2022 | Show parent
  #8835
Gear Head
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastro ➡️
Not sure if I'm misreading something but if I'm editing a step in a sequence how to I get a step length longer than 4.99. For instance if I inputted a step that's too short and wanted it to extend for say 15? I thought maybe shift then knob adjustment but that takes me out of edit mode.
This took me ages to work out, if I recall the manual isn't entirely clear.

But you press and hold the FX button, then the big Value knob
Old 25th June 2022 | Show parent
  #8836
Lives for gear
 
Gearspace Cadet's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodataavailable ➡️
This took me ages to work out, if I recall the manual isn't entirely clear.

But you press and hold the FX button, then the big Value knob
It’s probably not in the main manual, it will be in the update pdf , as I think it was added later
Old 26th June 2022 | Show parent
  #8837
Lives for gear
 
Plastro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodataavailable ➡️
This took me ages to work out, if I recall the manual isn't entirely clear.

But you press and hold the FX button, then the big Value knob
Thank you!!
Old 27th June 2022
  #8838
Lives for gear
 
Plastro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Sorry for the double post. Been using the 101 a lot recently and have just a few random questions I can't seem to figure out.

1. Is there an easy way to return a setting to the default state. For instance if I load a tone preset and am messing with the cutoff but then want to return it to the original value.

2. What is the difference between the shuffle setting in the measure versus the clip?

3. How do I adjust the scenes so that they switch at the end of the current pattern? I've noticed that they'll switch on time but often quicker than I anticipate. I hope this question makes sense.

Been really enjoying the 101, probably one of the best groovboxes I've used.
Old 28th June 2022 | Show parent
  #8839
Gear Head
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastro ➡️
Sorry for the double post. Been using the 101 a lot recently and have just a few random questions I can't seem to figure out.

1. Is there an easy way to return a setting to the default state. For instance if I load a tone preset and am messing with the cutoff but then want to return it to the original value.
The edit functionalities on the presets are relative values to the preset, rather than absolutes, if I recall correctly. So returning any value back to 0 should put it back to the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastro ➡️
2. What is the difference between the shuffle setting in the measure versus the clip?
Not sure what you mean on this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastro ➡️
3. How do I adjust the scenes so that they switch at the end of the current pattern? I've noticed that they'll switch on time but often quicker than I anticipate. I hope this question makes sense.
Scene changes always start at the beginning of the next bar, no matter how long the clips within them are. You can do something called 'Scene Chain' with the latest OS, which will play a scene for a certain amount of time before going to the next one, but this is more of a 'song mode' type of deal rather than something you can do on the fly. This video tells you how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIuziZU2Bv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastro ➡️
Been really enjoying the 101, probably one of the best groovboxes I've used.
It is a good little box, isn't it? Nice size, pretty capable (although I do wish you could create your own sounds without having to import them from Zencore pro (even if that didn't cost £$€ which it does) and sounds really bloody good. Batteries seem to last for ages, too.
Old 28th June 2022 | Show parent
  #8840
Lives for gear
 
Plastro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodataavailable ➡️
The edit functionalities on the presets are relative values to the preset, rather than absolutes, if I recall correctly. So returning any value back to 0 should put it back to the original.


Not sure what you mean on this one?


Scene changes always start at the beginning of the next bar, no matter how long the clips within them are. You can do something called 'Scene Chain' with the latest OS, which will play a scene for a certain amount of time before going to the next one, but this is more of a 'song mode' type of deal rather than something you can do on the fly. This video tells you how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIuziZU2Bv8


It is a good little box, isn't it? Nice size, pretty capable (although I do wish you could create your own sounds without having to import them from Zencore pro (even if that didn't cost £$€ which it does) and sounds really bloody good. Batteries seem to last for ages, too.
Awesome. Appreciate the replies. The fact that the values are relative makes a lot of sense. Regarding shuffle, it would seem that there are both shuffle settings for the clip of a track and the measure of a sequence. Do both shuffles essentially do the same thing by adding swing to the note playback? I was a bit confused as to why there were two different shuffle settings.

Also yeah being able to import sounds for free or edit your own more easily would be nice but thankfully the default sounds are great!
Old 28th June 2022 | Show parent
  #8841
Gear Head
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastro ➡️
Regarding shuffle, it would seem that there are both shuffle settings for the clip of a track and the measure of a sequence. Do both shuffles essentially do the same thing by adding swing to the note playback? I was a bit confused as to why there were two different shuffle settings.
I've never used shuffle or swing so not sure I'm afraid. Hopefully someone else on here will be able to chime in.
Old 28th June 2022
  #8842
Here for the gear
 
Im looking for an external midi keyboard to control my 707, I've narrowed it down to either a Roland A49, Alesis vi49 or Arturia keylab 49.

Couldn't see if it had been answered before but if i bought an external keyboard such as the Alesis, will the pads on the Alesis trigger the pads on the 707?
Old 28th June 2022 | Show parent
  #8843
Lives for gear
 
Gearspace Cadet's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastro ➡️
Awesome. Appreciate the replies. The fact that the values are relative makes a lot of sense. Regarding shuffle, it would seem that there are both shuffle settings for the clip of a track and the measure of a sequence. Do both shuffles essentially do the same thing by adding swing to the note playback? I was a bit confused as to why there were two different shuffle settings.

Also yeah being able to import sounds for free or edit your own more easily would be nice but thankfully the default sounds are great!
Ones master shuffle the other clip , I think master overrides clip
Old 28th June 2022 | Show parent
  #8844
Lives for gear
 
Gearspace Cadet's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastro ➡️
Awesome. Appreciate the replies. The fact that the values are relative makes a lot of sense. Regarding shuffle, it would seem that there are both shuffle settings for the clip of a track and the measure of a sequence. Do both shuffles essentially do the same thing by adding swing to the note playback? I was a bit confused as to why there were two different shuffle settings.

Also yeah being able to import sounds for free or edit your own more easily would be nice but thankfully the default sounds are great!
And to change the pattern switch over , check tempo settings , master step
Old 29th June 2022 | Show parent
  #8845
Lives for gear
 
jm2c's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearspace Cadet ➡️
Ones master shuffle the other clip , I think master overrides clip
Either that or this master/clip division here is just continuation from the other track aspects (as in, your settings can either be per track or per clip, depending on your preference)
Old 29th June 2022 | Show parent
  #8846
Lives for gear
 
Gearspace Cadet's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c ➡️
Either that or this master/clip division here is just continuation from the other track aspects (as in, your settings can either be per track or per clip, depending on your preference)
Track vs clip is maybe a better description, I couldn’t remember if it was per track or all tracks (master)
I think track shuffle only overrides clip shuffle, if it’s set higher
Old 1st July 2022 | Show parent
  #8847
Anyone know how I stop the Roland Cloud s/ware from running every single time I start up my PC?

even when I close it the RCM.service remains active and I have to kill it in task manager
Old 1st July 2022 | Show parent
  #8848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine_Alicia ➡️
Anyone know how I stop the Roland Cloud s/ware from running every single time I start up my PC?

even when I close it the RCM.service remains active and I have to kill it in task manager
If you open the app there's an account icon on the bottom left, it contains the app preferences and allows you to prevent it from starting altogether.

Haven't tested if that also disables the service though. And there's no way to get it to open minimised.
Old 1st July 2022 | Show parent
  #8849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine_Alicia ➡️
Anyone know how I stop the Roland Cloud s/ware from running every single time I start up my PC?

even when I close it the RCM.service remains active and I have to kill it in task manager
Uninstalled it after Roland Cloud effectively proved to prevent me from working on the go by locking a DAW Project/session of mine up because the RCM service wasn't able to phone home to it's Enterprise mothership.....

Guess it was hard for Roland to imagine that people working on the go may not have (or need) an internet connection while on the move.....
but it wasn't hard to imagine and act on uninstalling the Roland Cloud bloat and getting it out of it's own AND my own way.
Old 1st July 2022 | Show parent
  #8850
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLxAROSA ➡️
If you open the app there's an account icon on the bottom left, it contains the app preferences and allows you to prevent it from starting altogether.

Haven't tested if that also disables the service though. And there's no way to get it to open minimised.
Thanks, I`v just disabled it in prefs, I`ll let you know what happens next time I reset
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 118 views: 26770
Avatar for robotunes
robotunes 25th June 2021
replies: 10364 views: 967252
Avatar for JohnnyP702
JohnnyP702 4 hours ago
replies: 690 views: 83835
Avatar for cogsy
cogsy 1 week ago
replies: 2238 views: 167797
Avatar for MiniDX
MiniDX 5 days ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump