Behringer 2600
Old 19th October 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipascm ➡️
minimal studio, only Gray...
Nice.

What’s your little controller keyboard? It’s annoying me that I can’t tell what it is!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Plink ➡️
Nice.

What’s your little controller keyboard? It’s annoying me that I can’t tell what it is!
Looks like the Roland SH-01A+K-25M keyboard.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal ➡️
It's a good frame. Be nice to see an expanded version of the Neutron or a similar synth design, whether it's with sliders, knobs or both. You could do an awful lot in a frame that size.
Bigger knobs, long throw sliders, patchbay at the bottom instead of squeezed to the edge(neutron). I would pay more for this form factor.

CMS 2607 is this size, 6U.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbreaded_Jones ➡️
Bigger knobs, long throw sliders, patchbay at the bottom instead of squeezed to the edge(neutron). I would pay more for this form factor.

CMS 2607 is this size, 6U.
Yes. I would also expect it to come with blue people and one dimensional character tropes...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
This thread has reached page 303 so I thought it might be a good idea to try the 2600 (Blue Marvin) in an acid bassline type scenario.

I didn't really put too much time or effort into this, but I managed to get a decent acid squelch out of it using the TD-3-MO sequencer and some Drumbrute Impact drums (also fed through the 2600) for rhythmic context.

It took a surprising amount of patching actually, and this scenario definitely highlights my main gripe with this machine: the filter response is just not very musical IMO. It has these awkward frequency spikes even at moderate resonance settings.

Instead of simply enjoying the jam, I had to focus all my attention on preventing the filter from staying for too long in the low-mid frequency range (tough when you factor in all the modulation and stuff) because it just overpowers everything else.

Turn down the resonance maybe? But then you lose the squelch and the modulation details in the upper frequencies and it sounds dead boring.

I probably have over 50 different analog filters in my life, in all the various bits of gear and modular so I am familiar with a lot of different filter responses and this is by far the worst one I've experienced.

In addition, the two different filter types display exactly the same behaviour. To my ears they are basically the same filter but at slightly different cutoff frequencies.

At the end of the demo, around 1:35 you can hear a few pretty bad spikes. The resonance is set to only around 50% at that spot.

Wow I didn't intend this post to become moan zone material but here we are. Does anyone else here share my opinion?
Attached Files

2600 acid demo.mp3 (4.08 MB, 51 views)

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
A comparison perhaps.

Here is the same sequence on an Intellijel Atlantis.

No matter how hard I push it in resonance and modulation, it just refuses to sound bad! Sweet spot all the way through! The poor 2600 doesn't stand a chance.

(Clarification: in that 2600 demo, I was trying my utmost to avoid the bad spots, whereas on the Atlantis I'm just tweaking to my heart's content)
Attached Files

Atlantis filtertest.mp3 (5.46 MB, 63 views)

I like the filter but with 10-20% of resonance max. But I don't like Ladder filters in any synth.
I keep B2600 plugged into Ripples by default. It's a nice combo for a rubbery acid sound.
Not so squelchy tho. Maybe I would tweak it a bit more... Here's an example (way too long recording of my first Ripples test).
Attached Files
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Here We Go Again ➡️
I like the filter but with 10-20% of resonance max. But I don't like Ladder filters in any synth.
I keep B2600 plugged into Ripples by default. It's a nice combo for a rubbery acid sound.
Not so squelchy tho. Maybe I would tweak it a bit more... Here's an example (way too long recording of my first Ripples test).
Nice track!

Yeah, we can of course patch in another filter, but then I have to ask what is even the point of having this unit here when I'm only using half of it.

I agree, it sounds great at 10-20% resonance.

The main problem is that the input of the filter can not really be driven. In general, if you drive the input of a filter, the resonance peaks get under control. I've tried using the pre-amp to drive it, but that seems to only saturate the signal (thus adding more harmonics), as opposed to actually increasing the level of input into the filter. Maybe someone here has figured out a clever way to do this?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixMy106 ➡️
I probably have over 50 different analog filters in my life, in all the various bits of gear and modular so I am familiar with a lot of different filter responses and this is by far the worst one I've experienced.
Define worst/best. It's very close to original for sure.
Old 19th October 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just had a quick listen, is it overloading the VCA? Maybe turn the VCF slider down a touch in the VCA section?

The Neutron seemed to be pretty bad for this, I sold that quickly.
Old 19th October 2022
Gear Addict

Yes that's right. The filter input on the Behringer is much cleaner and more tamed, compared to an original ARP or to the one that Korg builds (where it really saturates/distorts and chirps).
For clean acid tones i don't like the B2600 filter either. For distorted ones it's still great, just because of that strong resonance peak.
But tbh. the 2600 is not the first synth that comes to my mind when i want to make acid lines. In my opinion it has many other strengths.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixMy106 ➡️
The main problem is that the input of the filter can not really be driven. In general, if you drive the input of a filter, the resonance peaks get under control. I've tried using the pre-amp to drive it, but that seems to only saturate the signal (thus adding more harmonics), as opposed to actually increasing the level of input into the filter. Maybe someone here has figured out a clever way to do this?
In addition to my other reply - did you try to patch the filter output back to a free input slider? I think it helps a bit to control the resonance.
Btw. if you put an inverter in between then you have an additional resonance control. Useful if you want to modulate that.
Old 20th October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Noise ➡️
In addition to my other reply - did you try to patch the filter output back to a free input slider? I think it helps a bit to control the resonance.
Btw. if you put an inverter in between then you have an additional resonance control. Useful if you want to modulate that.
Patching the filter out back to an input via the pre-amp allows you to push it round a little harder which can be effective. Results are bit like the drive switch on the Karp Oddy, although you can push it into further distortion like a Minimoog.
Old 20th October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmedia ➡️
Patching the filter out back to an input via the pre-amp allows you to push it round a little harder which can be effective. Results are bit like the drive switch on the Karp Oddy, although you can push it into further distortion like a Minimoog.
that's right.
I noticed that pushing the feedback really hard suppresses some of the resonance. That seems to be associated with the tanh clipping characteristic of transistors/otas.
Old 20th October 2022
Gear Addict

Both ways do work. Using the pre amp in between pushes the sound more towards saturation and can bring up some unwanted/uneven overtones quickly which is not always desired. But experiment is key. This thing never gets boring :-D
Old 21st October 2022
Lives for gear

Eh… if you want your 2600 to be a 303, buy a Doepfer A-103. That’s the awesome part about having a semi-modular synth! You could also use the sequencer and filter in on a TD-3, for even closer 303-ness (maybe with the added bonus of being able to take things even further and use two oscillators etc).

The 2600’s filter sounds like a 2600, which seems like the right choice, for something that is supposed to be a 2600?
Old 22nd October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I make somewhat crossover electronic music. I've got the 101, TD3, Boog+PolyD, Neutron, Prophet, Deepmind and a bunch of modular.

I sold some gear to buy a K2 and Dark Time so I can do the sequenced filter thing but now Anderton's have the Blue Marvin for £422 I'm having second thoughts.

It wasn't on my list but is it worth picking up at that price?
Old 22nd October 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat1 ➡️
is it worth picking up at that price?
Yes Yes Yes, get in there quick lad
Old 23rd October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D ➡️
I bought a 2600 from a store here in Finland a year ago and believe that it is from the first large shipment that they got soon after the launch, but they did not really move for a year before they discounted them. I can also confirm that my 2600 also has this less bright coloring of the boxes. I was also a little bit surprised about this color change at first, but the price was good, so I do not complain. Anyway, I would have preferred the bright orange box color, also presented in the cardboard box of the synth. Perhaps they used the bright orange color only for the initial demo models that were shown, but for real production they went with this instead?
Misleading advertisement. It's been going on for years. The hamburger you order at a restaurant is NOT going to look as good as the one in the picture on the menu board. Just slap some bread, some meat, and some toppings on it any kind of way and hand it over to the customer. Customer doesn't care about how it looks as long as it still tastes good because he/she is hungry. Hehehe.

Just give the Odyssey and 2600 a dark brown over black colors scheme. The customer won't care as long is they have all of the features and sound good. "We'll still sell these like hotcakes!!!!"

All jokes aside, I think Behringer should have gone with the orange boxes. They would be much easier to see over the black and make the font easier to read as well because the letters would also be brighter. I have Behringer Odyssey myself and the dark typeface lettering over black is not a good combination. I also have a Gray Meanie Behringer 2600 and the white typeface lettering over the gray background is much easier to read.
Old 23rd October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore ➡️
Misleading advertisement. It's been going on for years. The hamburger you order at a restaurant is NOT going to look as good as the one in the picture on the menu board. Just slap some bread, some meat, and some toppings on it any kind of way and hand it over to the customer. Customer doesn't care about how it looks as long as it still tastes good because he/she is hungry. Hehehe.
I take it that you have never actually worked at a burger joint? If we didnt make standardized looking burgers at the place I worked at, we would get flack. Working at the Micky Dees is a lot more standardized than people think.. at times it feels like working at a factory assembly line..

Menu board pictures are miniatures, not actual food, so you are correct in that
Old 27th October 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Moot Booxle spreading some BARPiness

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkMafF_AY6n/
📝 Reply