The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer Wasp Deluxe
Old 6th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingSound ➡️
Exactly what I suck at! It's fun, though. My phone is filling up with pictures of patches I'm working on.
Definitely work those ADSRs and filter options! Honestly. The hardest part is figuring out how to use the unexpected (or sometimes expected) results. I usually start with listening closely to oscillators and filter options to see if any combinations have a timbre I like. Then I see what cool stuff the synth can do. That’s where the percussive nature of those ADSRs, especially in the repeat mode, get interesting. I use that percussion as my “beat” and then sometimes overdub live drums... I’m rambling. 😹
Old 9th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow this thing is vibey AF. No regrets here. Just gotta learn to play now
Old 9th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, this thing is awesome. Little thing like the looping envelope and envelope delay really set it apart from a lot of other simple synths.

Question about the “switching” pots for the envelopes - are both pots the same on all yours? I think one of mine might defective, it works like it should but doesn’t have that heavy *click* that the other one does when turning full left. They should both feel the same, right?
Old 10th December 2021
Here for the gear
Doepfer wasp filter the inverters die now and then, so will the behringer wasp filter?

(Technical note:
The module is a copy of the filter used in the EDP Wasp synthesizer which "abuses" digital inverters (CD4069) as operational amplifiers. The disadvantage of this circuitry is that the inverters die now and then. The only solution would be to replace the inverters by standard operational amplifiers but then special character of the Wasp filter would be lost. It's impossible to predict if or when the CD4069 will die and of course we test each A-124 carefully before it leaves the factory. There are A-124 which work flawless since over 10 years, others become defective after weeks, months or years. Fortunately the CD4069 is a very inexpensive standard part (should be US$ 0.5 or less). The circuit is plugged into a socket and can be easily replaced by the customer if required.)
Old 10th December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark2020 ➡️
Doepfer wasp filter very easy to boom, so will the behringer wasp filter?
I think only time will tell on this. It'll be interesting to see if it does because then we can see if Uli learned anything by watching Doepfer's implementation.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Filter easy to boom ? What’s that mean ?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleep ➡️
https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=208455

The Doepfer Wasp filter IC's like to go boom.
Old 11th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➡️
Yeah, this thing is awesome. Little thing like the looping envelope and envelope delay really set it apart from a lot of other simple synths.

Question about the “switching” pots for the envelopes - are both pots the same on all yours? I think one of mine might defective, it works like it should but doesn’t have that heavy *click* that the other one does when turning full left. They should both feel the same, right?
Is it possible on the bottom filter ADSR that the filter control is at unity (center position). If so, you cant get the repeat (or LFO I guess) to start clicking. That may not be what you are referencing, but I was certainly confused at first. Ha! Anyways, I really like the tone of this synth. Even just playing the noise with the resonance up and filter down is very musical to my ears. I mean, this is not a blow the doors off analog monsynth, but it’s very cool.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Sorry
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oh they break down over time ?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Oh they break down over time ?
apparently, that Modwiggler thread explains well.
Old 12th December 2021 | Show parent
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp ➡️
https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=208455

The Doepfer Wasp filter IC's like to go boom.
Mine hasn't blown and I've had for over 4 years. But it seems to be a common thing.
Old 13th December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz ➡️
Mine hasn't blown and I've had for over 4 years. But it seems to be a common thing.
Mine either its about 8 years old now
Old 16th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
to any other Wasp owners as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thevegasnerve ➡️
Is it possible on the bottom filter ADSR that the filter control is at unity (center position). If so, you cant get the repeat (or LFO I guess) to start clicking. ...
nope. i think i explained it pretty well?

here's a video:

first i switch the VCA ENV to Repeat, you can hear the knob "click" into the far left position. i'm assuming that the CONTROL ENV Repeat/Delay knob is the exact same part and should act the same. you can see/hear that it barely "clicks" at all. (it does more or less function correctly, but it's just a dud part that never should have made it to the assembly line.) i go back and forth a couple times and then switch the Filter types. same heavy click/thud.

sales support (after sending them this video) is trying to tell me that it's "normal to have a little variation between the knobs on these units." i know this is Behringer quality we're talking about, but i don't think this is the case with this particular switching pot, like at all. i'd be very surprised if any other owners have this problem with these two pots/knobs. i wasn't even sure if i wanted to bother shipping it back, especially for the price, but now i'm just pissed to get a reply like this.

anyone else have any sort of "variation" like this?
Old 18th December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Behringer WASP blowout in France

169€ and free shipping

https://www.bax-shop.fr/synthetiseur...9000-0057-8965

I have no idea though if they are blowing out double trigger issue units though.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
anyone else have any sort of "variation" like this?
My unit has the same variation in the "click". It doesn't affect the synth functionally. Both knobs do the work as intended.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthmaven ➡️
169€ and free shipping

https://www.bax-shop.fr/synthetiseur...9000-0057-8965

I have no idea though if they are blowing out double trigger issue units though.
mine has no double trigger I’ve noticed. it’s a new one though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastropiero ➡️
My unit has the same variation in the "click". It doesn't affect the synth functionally. Both knobs do the work as intended.
Seriously? Is it the lower one that’s “softer” clicking?

I’m actually pretty surprised, but if this is the case then I can live with that for $129.

Anyone else?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Seriously? Is it the lower one that’s “softer” clicking?

I’m actually pretty surprised, but if this is the case then I can live with that for $129.

Anyone else?
In my case, the lower one is softer.

Both of them work fine, though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastropiero ➡️
In my case, the lower one is softer.

Both of them work fine, though.
interesting... my initial thought was that they might be two similar but different parts (different taper, rating, whatever) and might be physically different to begin with. i would fully expect them to "feel" the same when switching into the Repeat position.

like with the multi-position pots for waveform and filter type, there might be a slight variation is resistance/click/thud from one to another, but nothing like this.

i know it works fine, which i've said from the start and told them as much.

thanks again! who else?
Old 19th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
yeah, top one hard click, bottom one very soft click.
Old 19th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thevegasnerve ➡️
yeah, top one hard click, bottom one very soft click.
oh wow, thank you!

how weird that it's so different in feel. i did notice though that it makes it easy to use as a "performance feature", you can just nudge it a bit (when it's at minimum Delay, just before it clicks into Repeat) and it'll start looping.
Old 10th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Not bad for a S19xxxxxxxxxx unit

Old 11th January 2022
Here for the gear

Received a new unit from Andertons this morning, checked the serial and saw the dreaded 1911 serial number (which I was surprised with given previous posts), however I have tested my unit extensively and cannot recreate the double trigger issue no matter how hard I try! I wonder whether Behringer are fixing these units retrospectively and sending them back to retailers.
Old 11th January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefranklives ➡️
Received a new unit from Andertons this morning, checked the serial and saw the dreaded 1911 serial number (which I was surprised with given previous posts), however I have tested my unit extensively and cannot recreate the double trigger issue no matter how hard I try! I wonder whether Behringer are fixing these units retrospectively and sending them back to retailers.
Hmm. I also have one on the way from Andertons arriving on Friday... It's just over a year since I ordered a wasp from them and got an S19 with the trigger issue and sent it back thinking "I'll wait a year and buy it again..." Fingers crossed....
Old 21st January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloompegs ➡️
Hmm. I also have one on the way from Andertons arriving on Friday... It's just over a year since I ordered a wasp from them and got an S19 with the trigger issue and sent it back thinking "I'll wait a year and buy it again..." Fingers crossed....
I'm pleased to report that after receiving another S1911 unit from Anderton's and using it for about a week that I can't detect any double triggering behaviour. Interestingly (I might be way off here) the box appeared to have been resealed and there were smudges perhaps from fingers on the faceplate of the unit, so maybe that indicates existing stock being sent back to Behringer to be fixed then resealed and returned to the seller?

Either way I'm happy, I just couldn't resist the sound of this filter!
Old 12th March 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear
If anybody is sitting on the fence with this one just do it, you won't regret it! Now only £159 in UK. Great fun.
Old 12th March 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodster909 ➡️
If anybody is sitting on the fence with this one just do it, you won't regret it! Now only £159 in UK. Great fun.
I will get one once double trigger issue is gone, I got unit last autumn and it had it.
Old 14th March 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Wow this thing is vibey AF. No regrets here. Just gotta learn to play now
Yeah, such a winner. Definitely one of my favourite synths of the last few years.
Old 14th March 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just really wish it had CV/Gate and cutoff CV. Because otherwise I love the sound.
📝 Reply