The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ISLA Instruments S2400
Old 15th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradholland ➡️
Stereo live loops will be in the next fw update.
So you will be able to sample while playing that way.

but not the way you are asking for, that won't happen either I'm afraid.
anymore info to leak on the new board.
a bunch of us are obviously excited :D :D
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Noice

Is the DSP board real? As I saw you also posted it was a photoshop made from a sprinkler control system
Gear Addict

Quote:

All good, stereo looping sampling removes one layer of limitation and I need to explore bouncing in more detail. Ultimately I think for me, having an SP404 was a good choice as I can record a stereo sample from a S2400 midi track without being restricted to the loop length.

Thanks for clarifying Brad. I thought the next update was just going to be bug fixes, seems like we do have some feature surprises to look forward to. And the DSP!
Old 16th August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Very exciting update on Facebook...
"So, to elaborate on this a little more, this is an addon DSP module we’ve been working on for our S2400. What’s rendered here is showing the board connected to the existing cpu board. Essentially, running a very powerful quad core arm chip at 1.8ghz.
The intention is to be able to run multiple modified vst plugins (hoping to bring on 3rd party developers) per 8 output channels and also provide a 2nd master bus that can have its own plugins.
The emphasis here will be on top-notch, useful fx.
This is all in early development stages right now but as soon as prototypes work we’ll open for pre-order as we did the S2400.

The 8x multimode analogue filter board is also in development which will be a separate product, more on that later.

So, all in all, some really exciting stuff going on, let us know what you think in the comments."
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighty ➡️
Very exciting update on Facebook...
"So, to elaborate on this a little more, this is an addon DSP module we’ve been working on for our S2400. What’s rendered here is showing the board connected to the existing cpu board. Essentially, running a very powerful quad core arm chip at 1.8ghz.
The intention is to be able to run multiple modified vst plugins (hoping to bring on 3rd party developers) per 8 output channels and also provide a 2nd master bus that can have its own plugins.
The emphasis here will be on top-notch, useful fx.
This is all in early development stages right now but as soon as prototypes work we’ll open for pre-order as we did the S2400.

The 8x multimode analogue filter board is also in development which will be a separate product, more on that later.

So, all in all, some really exciting stuff going on, let us know what you think in the comments."
That's a strange way to go with the DSP IMHO, especially since most of us already have vst's covered. I wished they would just make a hardware DSP card with a top notch 3rd party developer like Chase Bliss or similar to the Dreadbox synth FX route. As is I'm all in for the filter board but will skip this vst based DSP board.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo ➡️
That's a strange way to go with the DSP IMHO, especially since most of us already have vst's covered. I wished they would just make a hardware DSP card with a top notch 3rd party developer like Chase Bliss or similar to the Dreadbox synth FX route. As is I'm all in for the filter board but will skip this vst based DSP board.
I read that it means vsts (somehow) in the S2400 standalone, which means you could potentially include VSTs of those sort of quality. Ive not used Chase Bliss pedals, but I love Valhalla VSTs. And think they were comparable to my Eventide FX pedals in sound quality. Maybe I've misunderstood what the DSP add on will offer?
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
seems great to me, yeah we already have them (many users however may not, especially those who only do HW) but we do not have them inside the 2400 - having them inside is 10x better than having to use them after the fact and especially if we can target them inside sequences and tie them so the fx are part of the pattern ala octatrak etc

i suppose we see how deep they will take it in time - as it stands for me this paragraph from Isla is exciting, very much so
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighty ➡️
I read that it means vsts (somehow) in the S2400 standalone, which means you could potentially include VSTs of those sort of quality. Ive not used Chase Bliss pedals, but I love Valhalla VSTs. And think they were comparable to my Eventide FX pedals in sound quality. Maybe I've misunderstood what the DSP add on will offer?
VST are 10 times faster to program, especially easy jobs if operated from menu.
mp3
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It’s a different way of skinning this cat for sure. But the source of the algorithms is ultimately irrelevant as long as they sound good… I am curious about how big a task it will be to port a set of VST algos to this board, and it does seem that this announcement is way early if he hasn’t even identified a partner yet. But I guess the details will come in time.

As for the filter board, I’m thrilled it’s finally on the way! But honestly I was hoping for a bank of SSI2144s. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll gladly take some multimode state variable (I’m assuming) filters, but ladder filters sound better.

I guess I was sort of imagining (or hoping for, rather) a successor to the EMAX. But either way, it will be a first of its kind as a groovebox sampler with polyphonic, parametric analog filters. And either way, I’ll be buying one. Patiently waiting Brad!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It's just a wrapper; it's pretty trivial these days to build a PluginProcessor chain in JUCE and compile it for arm64-linux-* targets, regardless of plugin format. The specific upside is the ability to performance-optimize the plugin off-device (I suspect that an Apple Silicon macOS device would be perfect for this).
Old 16th August 2022
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
My hope that the emphasis would be on creative FX and not so much on mixing FX. And with control of the parameters (p-lock/env).

Resonators, karplus strong delays, pi warp, RFX like muxter, vocoding, live timestretch to scales, elastic audio (like v-synth), S1000 3D panning, ....., come to mind.
Old 16th August 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Would be very cool to use my Soundtoys/Eventide/Valhalla stuff in the unit, especially if it is linked to the sequencer as Jamie said. Eagerly awaiting further details.
Old 16th August 2022
Gear Guru

The Filter board sounds interesting, obviously.
Old 17th August 2022
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Adding FX as VST with the option to change them is smart, then you are never really stuck or have a reason to feel that your FX is dated.
Old 17th September 2022 | Show parent
IOF
Gear Maniac

Some updates regarding the DSP / Analog Filter cards and live looping capability.

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOF ➡️
Some updates regarding the DSP / Analog Filter cards and live looping capability.

I’m hot and bothered by the filter card (and GS legally obligated to buy one)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That's freaking great news!!!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Great news!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I’m really looking forward to these add-on cards. As an analog synth enthusiast (I have a bunch), I’m very curious to see which filters they choose to implement. Also, I would definitely make use of the DSP card as long as the effects are high quality.

As far as the new “live looping” capability, I’d like to know if there is tempo/beat matching ability. The way I work is mostly old school using one shot samples, but I’ll have to learn & make use of live looping.

Does anyone know when the new update will be available?
Old 17th September 2022
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
i F'in LOOOOOOoooooove my 2400

So glad I got in early to support this

Such a great tool and team
Old 18th September 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Can't wait for all this.

Also in that video, live loops upgrade isn't just additional stereo looping but also if less than 8 voices are used then you have more sampling length. Double that time if the loop/s are mono. That's pretty neat.
Old 18th September 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This machine is the gift that keeps on giving.

Last edited by WozNYC; 20th September 2022 at 05:20 PM..
Old 20th September 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ok, nuff said about memes and feelings.

back to the S2400

how many projects or songs have you guys started/done so far?
i was going through my S2400 backup folder and counted almost 190 beats since April 2021.
Old 20th September 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I've read every post on this thread intently since the beginning with all it's highs and lows and it's been amazing watching the s2400 come together. Finally ordered mine a month ago (to be delivered in November 2022).

I've also watched every video on youtube about the S2400. Lot's of boom-bap..

Is anyone of you making techno with this?
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs ➡️
ok, nuff said about memes and feelings.

back to the S2400

how many projects or songs have you guys started/done so far?
i was going through my S2400 backup folder and counted almost 190 beats since April 2021.
good q:

no idea

will boot er up when i get wom and ave a gander

i do know i put them together waaaay to quickly (it is just too easy on this thing) but then never seem to finish them , that's me though - not the machine , i forgot long ago how to get to the end of a track

i recently tried to change my boot up logo following some instructions so i could leave myself a msg to not turn off until done, but i can't even get that gif animation to work: useless swine i am
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by htbx ➡️
I've read every post on this thread intently since the beginning with all it's highs and lows and it's been amazing watching the s2400 come together. Finally ordered mine a month ago (to be delivered in November 2022).

I've also watched every video on youtube about the S2400. Lot's of boom-bap..

Is anyone of you making techno with this?
enjoy the new arrival, i expect like most you will fall in love

i am about as far from hip hop etc as can be

my stuff revolves around house or techno yeah - that and just random broken stuff when i am in gluetoob sampling mode
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
enjoy the new arrival, i expect like most you will fall in love

i am about as far from hip hop etc as can be

my stuff revolves around house or techno yeah - that and just random broken stuff when i am in gluetoob sampling mode
Thanks!

With the filter expansion board and EFX this will really come into it's own.

I wish Brad Holland sets up Isla Uk by then so we don't have to pay import fees on upgrades.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by htbx ➡️
Thanks!

With the filter expansion board and EFX this will really come into it's own.

I wish Brad Holland sets up Isla Uk by then so we don't have to pay import fees on upgrades.
we would still be paying vat though and no doubt the import fees would be rolled into our price - i could be wrong but i don't think much would change for us in the end - a shorter wait for delivery and no dealing with 'the man' is about all i would expect

i am really looking fwd to the fx board personally, i have plenty of vst and HW to use but for me there is nothing quite like having a box self contained, especially one like this - OT , mpc etc
Old 3rd October 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just a quick question if anyone can help?

I've just set up my new studio space and S2400 is giving me a bit of a headache. I've set it up to receive midi notes from my DAW, the notes are playable but I'm having a couple of glitches.

Glitch 1. After starting the DAW and assigning a midi channel to S2400 no notes play unless I turn S2400 off and on again. FIXED WITH LATEST FIRMWARE UPDATE

Glitch 2. FIXED!

NOTES:

S2400 is a the end of 4 drum machines midi daisy chained in/thru.

S2400 has not been updated since Mar 17 2021 firmware. If this is the problem.

Last edited by breakmixer; 3rd October 2022 at 09:42 PM..
Old 3rd October 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer ➡️
Just a quick question if anyone can help?

I've just set up my new studio space and S2400 is giving me a bit of a headache. I've set it up to receive midi notes from my DAW, the notes are playable but I'm having a couple of glitches.

Glitch 1. After starting the DAW and assigning a midi channel to S2400 no notes play unless I turn S2400 off and on again.

Glitch 2. In midi monitor its receiving a barage of 13/12 19/24/25 notes? Unplugging my USB MPD218 drumpad stops this from happening.

NOTES:

S2400 is a the end of 4 drum machines midi daisy chained in/thru.

S2400 has not been updated since Mar 17 2021 firmware. If this is the problem.
Update the firmware! I mean, at the least you will double the polyphony and get a ton of other nice features!
📝 Reply