The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ISLA Instruments S2400
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #6091
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighty ➡️
I've not experienced one bug with the latest OS.
The only one that annoys me occasionally is the audio intermittently not working/randomly going out the headphones instead of mix outs when going between sample mode and regular playing sounds on the machine or running a sequence mode. Sometimes going between the modes a few times fixes it, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes audio will only work in sample mode, sometimes that's the mode it doesn't work in. The mix out knob can be cranked all the way and faint audio can be heard, but that might be crosstalk from the headphones.

I've seen a few others have this issue, but it's very intermittent and doesn't seem to be caused by anything in particular. It may be caused by the machine being on for a long time without going into sample mode. My machine is on 24/7 and gets used as my PC interface. So multiple days might go by while it's in sleep mode and I've just been watching youtube or in my DAW.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #6092
Gear Nut
 
Some music gear fans seem to think their opinions are totally objective, in a really strange and embarrassing way. The idea of 16 voices being a “dangerous” argument is a laughable use of that rhetoric.. you do know it’s legal to make other genres besides boom bap and jungle on the thing right? Relax, there’s room for everyones needs and both devices exist.. I like 8 tracks for drums, and 8 for samples.. its totally reasonable to want the 1200 ring on tracks longer that 20 measly seconds.. Don’t be daft. We all love the 1200. Grow up
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #6093
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by delikinesis ➡️
Some music gear fans seem to think their opinions are totally objective, in a really strange and embarrassing way. The idea of 16 voices being a “dangerous” argument is a laughable use of that rhetoric.. you do know it’s legal to make other genres besides boom bap and jungle on the thing right? Relax, there’s room for everyones needs and both devices exist.. I like 8 tracks for drums, and 8 for samples.. its totally reasonable to want the 1200 ring on tracks longer that 20 measly seconds.. Don’t be daft. We all love the 1200. Grow up
This is probably the most common sense I've seen in this thread for a minute...

I know people that own both, they say "Both are dope, I aint gonna argue about 1 vs the other" and you know what these people do? Make Lots Of Music. I wanna own both. I sometimes dont even use my Mpc for weeks now with the S2400 around. To be honest with the SP1200 I would like to make a couple albums purely using it. Just how I roll. But ofcourse when I feel like being more creative I would use an MPC with it. With the 2400, sometimes I just feel no need for the Mpc. I still think this things like a SP1200/MPC60/MPC2500 put together a bit... I dig it.

If I had to bring up an issue it would be this one... I use the Shift+Pad, and use the gain function instead of the faders for my levels/volume of each pad. The one thing I have to do when I start projects is touch every fader so that the volumes/gain go back to the level it should. It reminds me of how people could have to set/adjust there pitchs of each pad at the start of opening a project on the ol SP1200. If they fix this bug, I would be very very grateful. Otherwise... I dont have any real... issues... at all...

If it recorded Modwheel/Pitchbend Midi then I could possibly sell off my Mpc... But I honestly am not complaining... I'm reaching at this point...
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #6094
Lives for gear
 
fooddude's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatWilson ➡️
If it recorded Modwheel/Pitchbend Midi then I could possibly sell off my Mpc...
That's my only wish.

Tho, I already sold the 60 off, lol.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #6095
Gear Maniac
 
8 voices for drums and 8 voices for instruments is basically perfect for house.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #6096
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quick question... when loading sounds is there a quick way to load the sound on a pad without it repeating once you hit the pad?
So what I'm asking is; how do I easily load a drum sound on a pad and have it single trigger that sound without looping.?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #6097
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by delikinesis ➡️
Some music gear fans seem to think their opinions are totally objective, in a really strange and embarrassing way. The idea of 16 voices being a “dangerous” argument is a laughable use of that rhetoric.. you do know it’s legal to make other genres besides boom bap and jungle on the thing right? Relax, there’s room for everyones needs and both devices exist.. I like 8 tracks for drums, and 8 for samples.. its totally reasonable to want the 1200 ring on tracks longer that 20 measly seconds.. Don’t be daft. We all love the 1200. Grow up
Its more the attitude of some calling the SP1200 'convoluted old tech' that winds us up. The insides of the SP is totally over engineered by todays standards and thats what your paying for. Now i place more value on this rather than something which mimics it.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #6098
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo ➡️
Quick question... when loading sounds is there a quick way to load the sound on a pad without it repeating once you hit the pad?
So what I'm asking is; how do I easily load a drum sound on a pad and have it single trigger that sound without looping.?
It sounds like the files you're loading have loop parameters set or something. But I just tested that by loading a sound, setting it to loop, saving it, removing it and re assigning it. No loop, just one shot.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #6099
Quote:
Originally Posted by ass_in_gear ➡️
Its more the attitude of some calling the SP1200 'convoluted old tech' that winds us up. The insides of the SP is totally over engineered by todays standards and thats what your paying for. Now i place more value on this rather than something which mimics it.
haha I see way more 2400 bashing than 1200, in fact I don't think I've ever seen negative comments about the 1200, aren't we all here because we love it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatWilson ➡️

If I had to bring up an issue it would be this one... I use the Shift+Pad, and use the gain function instead of the faders for my levels/volume of each pad. The one thing I have to do when I start projects is touch every fader so that the volumes/gain go back to the level it should. It reminds me of how people could have to set/adjust there pitchs of each pad at the start of opening a project on the ol SP1200. If they fix this bug, I would be very very grateful. Otherwise... I dont have any real... issues... at all...

If it recorded Modwheel/Pitchbend Midi then I could possibly sell off my Mpc... But I honestly am not complaining... I'm reaching at this point...
The track settings bug is the only thing I have an issue with, it's known and we can expect a fix soon

+1 for mod/pitch wheel!! Really hope they find a solution. If not, so be it. I bought it knowing it wasn't a feature.

I found a sort-of workaround anyway by sending a MIDI cable from the host keyboard to MIDI input 2 on my 5080, and it worked insofar as the 5080 responded while on the same channel as the keyboard. Doesn't work with midi-focus on and obviously it's only a performance thing. Needs further testing on other midi devices further down the chain, couldn't get that to work so well
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #6100
Lives for gear
 
fooddude's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by project95 ➡️
+1 for mod/pitch wheel!! Really hope they find a solution. If not, so be it. I bought it knowing it wasn't a feature.

I found a sort-of workaround anyway by sending a MIDI cable from the host keyboard to MIDI input 2 on my 5080, and it worked insofar as the 5080 responded while on the same channel as the keyboard. Doesn't work with midi-focus on and obviously it's only a performance thing. Needs further testing on other midi devices further down the chain, couldn't get that to work so well
Interesting... I haven't tried this, as all my synths have only 1 Midi-In.

I'm wondering if I could temporarily plop my external-kybd-controller in b/n the S2400(midi out) and synth-module(midi in), as a Thru.

eg: S2400 (out) > kybd-controller (in and thru) > synth (in) [same/matching channel]

...wondering if this would work - S2400 playing recorded midi notes to synth, while a kybd-controller plopped in-b/n S2400&Synth as a Thru to be able to "Live" tweak the Mod/Pitch. Hmm.


Probably not, huh?
As the kybd-controller needs to be plugged in to Out, for any ability to control/tweak.
And, kybd-controller needs to be plugged in to Thru, for ability of S2400 to send recorded Midi notes thru the kybd controller.
...can't have both I guess, and gotta be one or the other?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #6101
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude ➡️
Interesting... I haven't tried this, as all my synths have only 1 Midi-In.

I'm wondering if I could temporarily plop my external-kybd-controller in b/n the S2400(midi out) and synth-module(midi in), as a Thru.

eg: S2400 (out) > kybd-controller (in and thru) > synth (in) [same/matching channel]

...wondering if this would work - S2400 playing recorded midi notes to synth, while a kybd-controller plopped in-b/n S2400&Synth as a Thru to be able to "Live" tweak the Mod/Pitch. Hmm.


Probably not, huh?
As the kybd-controller needs to be plugged in to Out, for any ability to control/tweak.
And, kybd-controller needs to be plugged in to Thru, for ability of S2400 to send recorded Midi notes thru the kybd controller.
...can't have both I guess, and gotta be one or the other?
Your last paragraph is correct. Annoyingly, the 5080 only sends midi to thru from midi input 1. With the keyboard connected to midi input 2 I can use mod/pitch wheel on the 5080 but nothing can be sent further down the chain 😞

It's a shame because I have atmospheric patches on those ROMplers which benefit from subtle mod wheel tweaking. At least I can use it on the 5080 for now.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #6102
Lives for gear
 
fooddude's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by project95 ➡️
It's a shame because I have atmospheric patches on those ROMplers which benefit from subtle mod wheel tweaking.
Exactly... all my synths are racks or romplers (990, 1080, jv80 kybd, using 7 diff boards or custom patch sound sets, and a few more diff brand synth racks).

They sound amazing as-is... but really need mod-wheel tweaking to wake them up ...filter cutoffs, resonance, or even beat match or tweak their lfos.
Old 1 week ago
  #6103
Here for the gear
 
Got the rare opportunity to buy a used 2400 for 1600 usd here in Sweden, and i am excited to buy it. I’ve been making boom bap beats in Ableton for 2 years now, and the ISLA seems perfect for me as it can both sequence and sound engineer. But i dont own a mixer. Could i mix as i go in Ableton when creating the beat on the 2400?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #6104
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by l e k u ➡️
Could i mix as i go in Ableton when creating the beat on the 2400?
If you only want to mix: for sure! Really easy to just record the separate stems (USB).

Live mix might be a problem on PC... set up live inputs for the separate USB stems (8 stereo), but you need asio4all to add a second sound device for monitoring.

If you want it on the grid, so you can edit some more... then it gets a little more challenging. You might need a device to get the clock tight.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #6105
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by l e k u ➡️
Got the rare opportunity to buy a used 2400 for 1600 usd here in Sweden, and i am excited to buy it. I’ve been making boom bap beats in Ableton for 2 years now, and the ISLA seems perfect for me as it can both sequence and sound engineer. But i dont own a mixer. Could i mix as i go in Ableton when creating the beat on the 2400?
Can't recommend it enough, easily one of my best purchases. All 8 outputs are going into my audio interface, so you don't need a mixer if you go that route. Only benefit over USB audio is you get to utilise the analog filters in the ISLAs outputs but tbh I don't think they always have that nice an effect. Outputs 1 and 2 are dynamic and I can't say I notice a huge amount of difference using them. Then the other outputs are fixed low pass and cut the high end out a lot. So having a hi hat on output 3 makes it almost inaudible. Would be good to know what instruments / drums suit the filters best as they were designed to support a perfect drum mix (in the SP1200). Anyways, point being you still get a great sound coming out of the USB audio and it's very easy to track record in Ableton. Get an Expert Sleepers USAMO if you need tight grid recording, but even without that it's not a huge effort shifting your recorded bits to the grid manually. Most importantly you get a killer 12bit sampler groovebox. I love it!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #6106
Gear Guru
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighty ➡️
Can't recommend it enough, easily one of my best purchases. All 8 outputs are going into my audio interface, so you don't need a mixer if you go that route. Only benefit over USB audio is you get to utilise the analog filters in the ISLAs outputs but tbh I don't think they always have that nice an effect. Outputs 1 and 2 are dynamic and I can't say I notice a huge amount of difference using them. Then the other outputs are fixed low pass and cut the high end out a lot. So having a hi hat on output 3 makes it almost inaudible. Would be good to know what instruments / drums suit the filters best as they were designed to support a perfect drum mix (in the SP1200). Anyways, point being you still get a great sound coming out of the USB audio and it's very easy to track record in Ableton. Get an Expert Sleepers USAMO if you need tight grid recording, but even without that it's not a huge effort shifting your recorded bits to the grid manually. Most importantly you get a killer 12bit sampler groovebox. I love it!
you touched on it perfectly

higher freq: inst up top - lower down lo, then you don't get this total cutoff of hats etc
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #6107
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighty ➡️
Can't recommend it enough, easily one of my best purchases. All 8 outputs are going into my audio interface, so you don't need a mixer if you go that route. Only benefit over USB audio is you get to utilise the analog filters in the ISLAs outputs but tbh I don't think they always have that nice an effect. Outputs 1 and 2 are dynamic and I can't say I notice a huge amount of difference using them. Then the other outputs are fixed low pass and cut the high end out a lot. So having a hi hat on output 3 makes it almost inaudible. Would be good to know what instruments / drums suit the filters best as they were designed to support a perfect drum mix (in the SP1200). Anyways, point being you still get a great sound coming out of the USB audio and it's very easy to track record in Ableton. Get an Expert Sleepers USAMO if you need tight grid recording, but even without that it's not a huge effort shifting your recorded bits to the grid manually. Most importantly you get a killer 12bit sampler groovebox. I love it!
Super helpful, thanks. I have an audio interface with 4 inputs. I Will see what route im going, and maybe buying a mixer in the future.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #6108
IOF
Gear Maniac
 
IOF's Avatar
 
I have both options set up as I was beta testing. To my surprise I ended up liking the audio over USB better which I was not expecting in the slightest. Yes you bypass the filter but it sounded so good over USB I ended up preferring it and it made my life easier. The signal is a bit hotter too.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #6109
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOF ➡️
I have both options set up as I was beta testing. To my surprise I ended up liking the audio over USB better which I was not expecting in the slightest. Yes you bypass the filter but it sounded so good over USB I ended up preferring it and it made my life easier. The signal is a bit hotter too.
Should be hotter (higher RMS) with, because filter shaves off a bit of the high frequencies which almost always are transients
If u mean hotter like better or more upfront, then it’s clear
Personally, the slight dullness I’d what I like about S2600, perfect for solid non hollow kicks and snares
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #6110
Lives for gear
 
fooddude's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatWilson ➡️
If it recorded Modwheel/Pitchbend Midi then I could possibly sell off my Mpc... But I honestly am not complaining... I'm reaching at this point...
Quote:
Originally Posted by project95 ➡️
+1 for mod/pitch wheel!! Really hope they find a solution.
https://forum.islainstruments.com/t/...-hold/7007/47?

Is there anything more exciting than Brad mentioning CC's will be worked on? That'll be a dream come true.

@ BeatWilson
Maybe you'll need to start taking pics and drafting that Mpc listing/sale soon, haha.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #6111
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude ➡️
https://forum.islainstruments.com/t/...-hold/7007/47?

Is there anything more exciting than Brad mentioning CC's will be worked on? That'll be a dream come true.

@ BeatWilson
Maybe you'll need to start taking pics and drafting that Mpc listing/sale soon, haha.
Yeah I would be stoked on that.
I was actually getting ready to possibly sell it to fund another piece of kit anyways. I have a workflow going right now where I dont really need the Mpc.
Old 19 hours ago | Show parent
  #6112
Lives for gear
 
Deckdaddy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Would be nice if everybody here spam Stardust cover designers to make a S2400 dust cover. I like my Model D and Prophet 4 covers from them.
Old 18 hours ago | Show parent
  #6113
Gear Nut
 
purling's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckdaddy ➡️
Would be nice if everybody here spam Stardust cover designers to make a S2400 dust cover. I like my Model D and Prophet 4 covers from them.
Agree! I have DX7 and OB-6 covers from them and they're great.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 119 views: 32235
Avatar for killa ego
killa ego 16th February 2013
replies: 1187 views: 165742
Avatar for djimon
djimon 3 weeks ago
replies: 0 views: 1351
Avatar for The Press Desk
The Press Desk 15th July 2021
replies: 1006 views: 102735
Avatar for buckan
buckan 5 hours ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump