Old 19th June 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee ➡️
See, that is the beautiful about SP1200, it forces you to think out of the box. To obtain step sequencing, you could buy an accessory like Arturia Beatstep pro for under 200 € and pair it.
It is a dangerous argument, some may even extend it to “Why use hardware, when you can use a daw like Ableton Live or low-hiss eSPI, where you can go beyond those 16 voices, likewise with sampling time..even effects and filter fx emulations, which sounds great?”
Well interesting enough, more of those artist mentioned on the Isla Instrument [https://www.islainstruments.com/artists/] seems to move backward to SP1200 or forward to Akai MPC LIVE, if you judge from their Instagram, wondering why…
I own S2400, RX5 with sampling board and Maschine, should I buy Rossum 1200 or MPCX?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighty ➡️
I've not experienced one bug with the latest OS.
The only one that annoys me occasionally is the audio intermittently not working/randomly going out the headphones instead of mix outs when going between sample mode and regular playing sounds on the machine or running a sequence mode. Sometimes going between the modes a few times fixes it, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes audio will only work in sample mode, sometimes that's the mode it doesn't work in. The mix out knob can be cranked all the way and faint audio can be heard, but that might be crosstalk from the headphones.

I've seen a few others have this issue, but it's very intermittent and doesn't seem to be caused by anything in particular. It may be caused by the machine being on for a long time without going into sample mode. My machine is on 24/7 and gets used as my PC interface. So multiple days might go by while it's in sleep mode and I've just been watching youtube or in my DAW.
Gear Nut

Some music gear fans seem to think their opinions are totally objective, in a really strange and embarrassing way. The idea of 16 voices being a “dangerous” argument is a laughable use of that rhetoric.. you do know it’s legal to make other genres besides boom bap and jungle on the thing right? Relax, there’s room for everyones needs and both devices exist.. I like 8 tracks for drums, and 8 for samples.. its totally reasonable to want the 1200 ring on tracks longer that 20 measly seconds.. Don’t be daft. We all love the 1200. Grow up
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by delikinesis ➡️
Some music gear fans seem to think their opinions are totally objective, in a really strange and embarrassing way. The idea of 16 voices being a “dangerous” argument is a laughable use of that rhetoric.. you do know it’s legal to make other genres besides boom bap and jungle on the thing right? Relax, there’s room for everyones needs and both devices exist.. I like 8 tracks for drums, and 8 for samples.. its totally reasonable to want the 1200 ring on tracks longer that 20 measly seconds.. Don’t be daft. We all love the 1200. Grow up
This is probably the most common sense I've seen in this thread for a minute...

I know people that own both, they say "Both are dope, I aint gonna argue about 1 vs the other" and you know what these people do? Make Lots Of Music. I wanna own both. I sometimes dont even use my Mpc for weeks now with the S2400 around. To be honest with the SP1200 I would like to make a couple albums purely using it. Just how I roll. But ofcourse when I feel like being more creative I would use an MPC with it. With the 2400, sometimes I just feel no need for the Mpc. I still think this things like a SP1200/MPC60/MPC2500 put together a bit... I dig it.

If I had to bring up an issue it would be this one... I use the Shift+Pad, and use the gain function instead of the faders for my levels/volume of each pad. The one thing I have to do when I start projects is touch every fader so that the volumes/gain go back to the level it should. It reminds me of how people could have to set/adjust there pitchs of each pad at the start of opening a project on the ol SP1200. If they fix this bug, I would be very very grateful. Otherwise... I dont have any real... issues... at all...

If it recorded Modwheel/Pitchbend Midi then I could possibly sell off my Mpc... But I honestly am not complaining... I'm reaching at this point...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatWilson ➡️
If it recorded Modwheel/Pitchbend Midi then I could possibly sell off my Mpc...
That's my only wish.

Tho, I already sold the 60 off, lol.
Gear Addict

8 voices for drums and 8 voices for instruments is basically perfect for house.
Old 20th June 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quick question... when loading sounds is there a quick way to load the sound on a pad without it repeating once you hit the pad?
So what I'm asking is; how do I easily load a drum sound on a pad and have it single trigger that sound without looping.?
Old 20th June 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by delikinesis ➡️
Its more the attitude of some calling the SP1200 'convoluted old tech' that winds us up. The insides of the SP is totally over engineered by todays standards and thats what your paying for. Now i place more value on this rather than something which mimics it.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo ➡️
Quick question... when loading sounds is there a quick way to load the sound on a pad without it repeating once you hit the pad?
So what I'm asking is; how do I easily load a drum sound on a pad and have it single trigger that sound without looping.?
It sounds like the files you're loading have loop parameters set or something. But I just tested that by loading a sound, setting it to loop, saving it, removing it and re assigning it. No loop, just one shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ass_in_gear ➡️
Its more the attitude of some calling the SP1200 'convoluted old tech' that winds us up. The insides of the SP is totally over engineered by todays standards and thats what your paying for. Now i place more value on this rather than something which mimics it.
haha I see way more 2400 bashing than 1200, in fact I don't think I've ever seen negative comments about the 1200, aren't we all here because we love it?

Quote:

If I had to bring up an issue it would be this one... I use the Shift+Pad, and use the gain function instead of the faders for my levels/volume of each pad. The one thing I have to do when I start projects is touch every fader so that the volumes/gain go back to the level it should. It reminds me of how people could have to set/adjust there pitchs of each pad at the start of opening a project on the ol SP1200. If they fix this bug, I would be very very grateful. Otherwise... I dont have any real... issues... at all...

If it recorded Modwheel/Pitchbend Midi then I could possibly sell off my Mpc... But I honestly am not complaining... I'm reaching at this point...
The track settings bug is the only thing I have an issue with, it's known and we can expect a fix soon

+1 for mod/pitch wheel!! Really hope they find a solution. If not, so be it. I bought it knowing it wasn't a feature.

I found a sort-of workaround anyway by sending a MIDI cable from the host keyboard to MIDI input 2 on my 5080, and it worked insofar as the 5080 responded while on the same channel as the keyboard. Doesn't work with midi-focus on and obviously it's only a performance thing. Needs further testing on other midi devices further down the chain, couldn't get that to work so well
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by project95 ➡️
+1 for mod/pitch wheel!! Really hope they find a solution. If not, so be it. I bought it knowing it wasn't a feature.

I found a sort-of workaround anyway by sending a MIDI cable from the host keyboard to MIDI input 2 on my 5080, and it worked insofar as the 5080 responded while on the same channel as the keyboard. Doesn't work with midi-focus on and obviously it's only a performance thing. Needs further testing on other midi devices further down the chain, couldn't get that to work so well
Interesting... I haven't tried this, as all my synths have only 1 Midi-In.

I'm wondering if I could temporarily plop my external-kybd-controller in b/n the S2400(midi out) and synth-module(midi in), as a Thru.

eg: S2400 (out) > kybd-controller (in and thru) > synth (in) [same/matching channel]

...wondering if this would work - S2400 playing recorded midi notes to synth, while a kybd-controller plopped in-b/n S2400&Synth as a Thru to be able to "Live" tweak the Mod/Pitch. Hmm.

Probably not, huh?
As the kybd-controller needs to be plugged in to Out, for any ability to control/tweak.
And, kybd-controller needs to be plugged in to Thru, for ability of S2400 to send recorded Midi notes thru the kybd controller.
...can't have both I guess, and gotta be one or the other?
Old 21st June 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude ➡️
Interesting... I haven't tried this, as all my synths have only 1 Midi-In.

I'm wondering if I could temporarily plop my external-kybd-controller in b/n the S2400(midi out) and synth-module(midi in), as a Thru.

eg: S2400 (out) > kybd-controller (in and thru) > synth (in) [same/matching channel]

...wondering if this would work - S2400 playing recorded midi notes to synth, while a kybd-controller plopped in-b/n S2400&Synth as a Thru to be able to "Live" tweak the Mod/Pitch. Hmm.

Probably not, huh?
As the kybd-controller needs to be plugged in to Out, for any ability to control/tweak.
And, kybd-controller needs to be plugged in to Thru, for ability of S2400 to send recorded Midi notes thru the kybd controller.
...can't have both I guess, and gotta be one or the other?
Your last paragraph is correct. Annoyingly, the 5080 only sends midi to thru from midi input 1. With the keyboard connected to midi input 2 I can use mod/pitch wheel on the 5080 but nothing can be sent further down the chain 😞

It's a shame because I have atmospheric patches on those ROMplers which benefit from subtle mod wheel tweaking. At least I can use it on the 5080 for now.
Old 21st June 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It's a shame because I have atmospheric patches on those ROMplers which benefit from subtle mod wheel tweaking.
Exactly... all my synths are racks or romplers (990, 1080, jv80 kybd, using 7 diff boards or custom patch sound sets, and a few more diff brand synth racks).

They sound amazing as-is... but really need mod-wheel tweaking to wake them up ...filter cutoffs, resonance, or even beat match or tweak their lfos.
Old 22nd June 2022
Here for the gear

Got the rare opportunity to buy a used 2400 for 1600 usd here in Sweden, and i am excited to buy it. I’ve been making boom bap beats in Ableton for 2 years now, and the ISLA seems perfect for me as it can both sequence and sound engineer. But i dont own a mixer. Could i mix as i go in Ableton when creating the beat on the 2400?
Old 22nd June 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by l e k u ➡️
Could i mix as i go in Ableton when creating the beat on the 2400?
If you only want to mix: for sure! Really easy to just record the separate stems (USB).

Live mix might be a problem on PC... set up live inputs for the separate USB stems (8 stereo), but you need asio4all to add a second sound device for monitoring.

If you want it on the grid, so you can edit some more... then it gets a little more challenging. You might need a device to get the clock tight.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by l e k u ➡️
Got the rare opportunity to buy a used 2400 for 1600 usd here in Sweden, and i am excited to buy it. I’ve been making boom bap beats in Ableton for 2 years now, and the ISLA seems perfect for me as it can both sequence and sound engineer. But i dont own a mixer. Could i mix as i go in Ableton when creating the beat on the 2400?
Can't recommend it enough, easily one of my best purchases. All 8 outputs are going into my audio interface, so you don't need a mixer if you go that route. Only benefit over USB audio is you get to utilise the analog filters in the ISLAs outputs but tbh I don't think they always have that nice an effect. Outputs 1 and 2 are dynamic and I can't say I notice a huge amount of difference using them. Then the other outputs are fixed low pass and cut the high end out a lot. So having a hi hat on output 3 makes it almost inaudible. Would be good to know what instruments / drums suit the filters best as they were designed to support a perfect drum mix (in the SP1200). Anyways, point being you still get a great sound coming out of the USB audio and it's very easy to track record in Ableton. Get an Expert Sleepers USAMO if you need tight grid recording, but even without that it's not a huge effort shifting your recorded bits to the grid manually. Most importantly you get a killer 12bit sampler groovebox. I love it!
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Can't recommend it enough, easily one of my best purchases. All 8 outputs are going into my audio interface, so you don't need a mixer if you go that route. Only benefit over USB audio is you get to utilise the analog filters in the ISLAs outputs but tbh I don't think they always have that nice an effect. Outputs 1 and 2 are dynamic and I can't say I notice a huge amount of difference using them. Then the other outputs are fixed low pass and cut the high end out a lot. So having a hi hat on output 3 makes it almost inaudible. Would be good to know what instruments / drums suit the filters best as they were designed to support a perfect drum mix (in the SP1200). Anyways, point being you still get a great sound coming out of the USB audio and it's very easy to track record in Ableton. Get an Expert Sleepers USAMO if you need tight grid recording, but even without that it's not a huge effort shifting your recorded bits to the grid manually. Most importantly you get a killer 12bit sampler groovebox. I love it!
you touched on it perfectly

higher freq: inst up top - lower down lo, then you don't get this total cutoff of hats etc
Here for the gear

Quote:
Super helpful, thanks. I have an audio interface with 4 inputs. I Will see what route im going, and maybe buying a mixer in the future.
Old 23rd June 2022 | Show parent
IOF
Gear Maniac

I have both options set up as I was beta testing. To my surprise I ended up liking the audio over USB better which I was not expecting in the slightest. Yes you bypass the filter but it sounded so good over USB I ended up preferring it and it made my life easier. The signal is a bit hotter too.
Old 25th June 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOF ➡️
I have both options set up as I was beta testing. To my surprise I ended up liking the audio over USB better which I was not expecting in the slightest. Yes you bypass the filter but it sounded so good over USB I ended up preferring it and it made my life easier. The signal is a bit hotter too.
Should be hotter (higher RMS) with, because filter shaves off a bit of the high frequencies which almost always are transients
If u mean hotter like better or more upfront, then it’s clear
Personally, the slight dullness I’d what I like about S2600, perfect for solid non hollow kicks and snares
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Quote:
+1 for mod/pitch wheel!! Really hope they find a solution.
https://forum.islainstruments.com/t/...-hold/7007/47?

Is there anything more exciting than Brad mentioning CC's will be worked on? That'll be a dream come true.

@ BeatWilson
Maybe you'll need to start taking pics and drafting that Mpc listing/sale soon, haha.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude ➡️
https://forum.islainstruments.com/t/...-hold/7007/47?

Is there anything more exciting than Brad mentioning CC's will be worked on? That'll be a dream come true.

@ BeatWilson
Maybe you'll need to start taking pics and drafting that Mpc listing/sale soon, haha.
Yeah I would be stoked on that.
I was actually getting ready to possibly sell it to fund another piece of kit anyways. I have a workflow going right now where I dont really need the Mpc.
Old 3rd July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Would be nice if everybody here spam Stardust cover designers to make a S2400 dust cover. I like my Model D and Prophet 4 covers from them.
Old 3rd July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckdaddy ➡️
Would be nice if everybody here spam Stardust cover designers to make a S2400 dust cover. I like my Model D and Prophet 4 covers from them.
Agree! I have DX7 and OB-6 covers from them and they're great.
Old 6th July 2022 | Show parent
Any EMU 6400 Ultra / E4XT owners here?

Interested in thoughts about the sound quality & features compared to the S2400, got my eyes on one and trying to convince myself the S2400 is all I'll ever need.
Old 9th July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Any EMU 6400 Ultra / E4XT owners here?

Interested in thoughts about the sound quality & features compared to the S2400, got my eyes on one and trying to convince myself the S2400 is all I'll ever need.
The S24 and an Ultra are almost each others counterparts. They are sooo different! The Emu is a full blown (semi modular) synth inside a samplerbox. If you are into sound design or just want more options to create unique sounds, then an Ultra is a very nice addition. The mod matrix inside this synth is just ridiculous:
http://samplersonacid.com/legacy-emu...t=278.php.html

The sound of the Ultra range is also very different. It definitely has a unique sound and is liked by many people. I have a 6400U with RFX32 and even if I just (digitally) send audio into it (adat), turn off all FX, and send it out again (adat), it get that Ultra sound. Very weird, but is has nothing to do with converters, it seems to be down to the internal processing.

So, unless you want to keep it simple or make not too complex music like boombap, definitely recommended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syah ➡️
The S24 and an Ultra are almost each others counterparts. They are sooo different! The Emu is a full blown (semi modular) synth inside a samplerbox. If you are into sound design or just want more options to create unique sounds, then an Ultra is a very nice addition. The mod matrix inside this synth is just ridiculous:
http://samplersonacid.com/legacy-emu...t=278.php.html

The sound of the Ultra range is also very different. It definitely has a unique sound and is liked by many people. I have a 6400U with RFX32 and even if I just (digitally) send audio into it (adat), turn off all FX, and send it out again (adat), it get that Ultra sound. Very weird, but is has nothing to do with converters, it seems to be down to the internal processing.

So, unless you want to keep it simple or make not too complex music like boombap, definitely recommended.
Awesome thanks for sharing that, I'm into D&B and did some research after posting and saw the tricks they were using in the late 90s: https://youtu.be/yheX4yrOOQI

But you're right vintage rackmount samplers aren't exactly known for their ease of use so that's the only thing putting me off
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Awesome thanks for sharing that, I'm into D&B and did some research after posting and saw the tricks they were using in the late 90s: https://youtu.be/yheX4yrOOQI
But you're right vintage rackmount samplers aren't exactly known for their ease of use so that's the only thing putting me off
As u see the sound comes from the desk, compressor and z-filter
90% were happier with 16 than 12 bits, only a few were aware like today
EMU sampler were good because many voices, outputs, 16 bit, stereo, little too look back at besides maybe z-plane filters
I’d check and compare e6400 with DAW and Rossum z-plane eurorack filter
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckan ➡️
EMU sampler were good because many voices, outputs, 16 bit, stereo, little too look back at besides maybe z-plane filters
Not true at all! The z-plane filters are okay, but without the mod matrix it would be nothing special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckan ➡️
I’d check and compare e6400 with DAW and Rossum z-plane eurorack filter
e6400 like a DAW... lol... you must have never used one, or maybe superficially used it now and then.

Why do you think most early D&B producers had an Ultra in their studio?

The Rossum z-plane eurorack is also very different from the z-plane in older EMUs. So, I don't really know what you want to say and mean and try to get across. Please explain better if you come from real life experience.
📝 Reply