Quantcast
TR-8S How to record rolls? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TR-8S How to record rolls?
Old 29th January 2019
Here for the gear
TR-8S How to record rolls?

Hello, I just bought a Roland TR-8S and I'm struggling to figure out how to record rolls. I can only play rolls during the INST/PLAY mode but I can't record them as long as I press INST/REC.
Did Roland really not include this feature?? o.o
Thanks in advance!
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbuspaik ➡️
Hello, I just bought a Roland TR-8S and I'm struggling to figure out how to record rolls. I can only play rolls during the INST/PLAY mode but I can't record them as long as I press INST/REC.
Thanks in advance!
Seeing as the performed rolls are only in 16th, 32nd or 64th note divisions and are part of the "performance" feature set there is no need to implement a roll mode. The SUB (Sub Step Button) which will do 1/2(32nd), 1/3(Triplet),1/4(64th) based divisions and give you identical results.
Coupled with the flam mode and the ability to alter velocity per step you can get some great roll and flam work programmed. Changing the velocity on any step is as simple as holding it and adjusting the level knob in the accent section.
It makes it easy to do ghost notes, ghosted flam, and rolls that crescendo and decrescendo too.
Working this way allows you to put in different roll types on different steps too.
Old 29th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 ➡️
Seeing as the performed rolls are only in 16th, 32nd or 64th note divisions and are part of the "performance" feature set there is no need to implement a roll mode. The SUB (Sub Step Button) which will do 1/2(32nd), 1/3(Triplet),1/4(64th) based divisions and give you identical results.
Coupled with the flam mode and the ability to alter velocity per step you can get some great roll and flam work programmed. Changing the velocity on any step is as simple as holding it and adjusting the level knob in the accent section.
It makes it easy to do ghost notes, ghosted flam, and rolls that crescendo and decrescendo too.
Working this way allows you to put in different roll types on different steps too.
?? ... there is a "roll mode" when using 'Inst(rument) Play', it just can't be recorded into the sequencer. the methods you describe make for far more interesting results, but it would be nice to "sketch the outline" of the roll (rests, etc assuming it's not some cheesy 4-bar riser sort of thing) by playing it and recording it.

it's been a while since i've even turned it on, but i think i remember the "live play" aspect of it to feel a bit odd. quantization (maybe lack of?) or something, i don't know.
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just did a short pattern using KIT *053 - Dark Prog Night
Here's an example of how bonkers it can get just using a simple preset with a custom pattern and the flam / substep + parameter lock functions.
Attached Files

Kit 053.mp3 (1.12 MB, 1216 views)

Old 29th January 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 ➡️
Thanks Venn. I'll try to do it with the SUB + FLAM or just by writing it down manually on the sequencer. Anyway, that's a very minor issue since this machine is giving me so much satisfaction. The more I discover the more I like it. Cheers
Old 19th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbuspaik ➡️
Thanks in advance!
I'm exactly in the same moment of WTF.. Why you can inst play a roll but you can't inst record it? IMOO the only explanation is an error writing down the software specs, i can't find any tech reason to forbide roll recording

Anyway this is a great machine
📝 Reply