Quantcast
Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Would be cool if i can use this as a controller for my emu ultra proteus, which responds to poly AT.... wonder if it will send it over midi or just respond to it locally....
Old 24th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasni1 ➡️
**** them for calling it a MI collaboration when it's not.

Not getting this or any other Arturia product. Meh.
With all that Edison Tesla lark I'm surprised your morals allow you to use electricity.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood ➡️
Cliff notes: The vast majority of buyers have never heard of MI. There is no brand power there. Only geeks and pros care, who are a very vocal minority.
"Collab" will bring few new customers to Arturia, and will bring 0 new customers to MI => "collab" has small but non-negligible PR value for Arturia, and no PR value for MI, that's my whole thesis.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't know what this means. Care to clarify?

Again: it would not have hurt Arturia to do the right thing, which is to properly attribute where it came from and not use the word "collab" if there is no such thing.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They might as well of stuck Clouds code in there while they were at it for built in effects, Or maybe its already in the next freak.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
So... didn't their website suggest they'd have 3 new products? Could that mean one per day? Still time for a keystep pro...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamey777 ➡️
Would be cool if i can use this as a controller for my emu ultra proteus, which responds to poly AT.... wonder if it will send it over midi or just respond to it locally....
It may be lacking in some areas that disappoint in other ways when used as a controller, but it should support PolyAT over midi based on stuff they say on their website like:

"You can also use its USB, MIDI, and CV outputs to control instruments in your DAW and modular synths. This also means that you can also use MicroFreak as a controller to experience polyphonic aftertouch with cutting edge software instruments."
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubbel ➡️
So... didn't their website suggest they'd have 3 new products? Could that mean one per day? Still time for a keystep pro...
There are a couple of audio interfaces on their site that are probably new.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow ➡️
While it was handled in bad taste, not sure what anyone was expecting to the contrary with open source programming ... look at Apple taking so much Linux development and putting it into OSX, for instance. If you make something free, thats also unique and in demand, it gonna get got.
Yeah, but Apple don’t claim that OS X is a “collaboration” with the Linux Foundation.

No one has a problem with the use of the software - it’s open source, it’s there to be used. Everyone gets that.

The issue is Atruria claiming it’s a “collaboration”, when it’s not. A collaboration is a two way thing. In this instance Arturia took the code and implemented it unilaterally - a perfectly legal and ethical thing to do in itself. But it’s disingenuous to call it a collaboration if MI didn’t have an active input into the process.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Random generator may be nice if it goes out of the cv outputs. Great for mixing up smaller eurorack setups that might not have the most diverse modulation choices
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 ➡️
This sequencer doesn’t look anything like the classic Microbrute sequencer. Wtf is all that with the random functions and the random pattern generator in conjunction with the Arpeggio and the spice and dice feature.

This looks like an instrument toy for kids. All the initial excitement has gone, what the heck Arturia they’re doing…
Sequencer is incredibly good on this thing. You can use it as simple 101-alike sequencers if you want, but that would be like 5% of it's potential.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➡️
Random generator may be nice if it goes out of the cv outputs. Great for mixing up smaller eurorack setups that might not have the most diverse modulation choices
Random functionality seems to be embedded in the sequencer. It's not simple clocked S/H (and I think they borrowed some other stuff from MI codebase, like Bernoulli gate and other bits, but I do not mind that at all, I think their amalgamation is really good)
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Remember that there are different licenses in Open Source: Mutable Instruments used the MIT one which, like BSD, indeed lets you use the code and sell the result, without sharing your modifications but with the need to mention the origins. Nearly a do-what-you-want-license. Pure Data (PD) for instance has a BSD license and can be modified and embedded in everything.

GPL is more restrictive and in favour of the originators, you still can sell the resulting project/ product but you have to open source your modifications of the source code.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think whilst everybody is all over the Microfreak I’ll buy a Stylophone GEN R-8 instead, totally different I know but similar price range/form factor.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know what this means. Care to clarify?
Sarcasm.
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek ➡️
I think whilst everybody is all over the Microfreak I’ll buy a Stylophone GEN R-8 instead, totally different I know but similar price range/form factor.
I was thinking that too but geez it has like two sounds.. everything on that thing sounds the same.. but I do like to go with the little guy mostly.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrSteiner ➡️
Remember that there are different licenses in Open Source: Mutable Instruments used the MIT one which, like BSD, indeed lets you use the code and sell the result, without sharing your modifications but with the need to mention the origins. Nearly a do-what-you-want-license.
Right, and Émilie surely knew what she were doing in choosing this license. I don’t think anyone is even upset about Arturia making money from open source software. It happens all the time, and people are generally fine with business models built on top of open source code.

I think the main issue is that Arturia marketing uses the language of “collaboration”, which will understandably lead people to believe that Mutable Instruments was involved in adapting that code to the new product and may have had a financial agreeement.

Last edited by yonatron; 25th January 2019 at 02:22 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
MI's Olivier is mad and bitter about everything. Typical modular manufacturer TBH
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➡️

Again: it would not have hurt Arturia to do the right thing, which is to properly attribute where it came from and not use the word "collab" if there is no such thing.
Sounds like they DID attribute where it came from. That's what they mean by "collaboration", as I see it. I wouldn't get caught up on some marketer's term spaghetti.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll ➡️
MI's Olivier is mad and bitter about everything. Typical modular manufacturer TBH
Sounds like he wanted to be invited to the process from early on but wasn't. And when they asked for his opinion later he refused to give it. I don't see why its important to involve him when its opensource code and they likely had a hard target for the product's end state.
Deleted 48a4a93
people complaining about arturia using an open source code while another manufacturer gets hyped and celebrated for cloning every single synth of the past
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I’m probably going to buy it
Old 24th January 2019
Deleted baa19f3
I love it, and I thought the video was great as well. Me WANT!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love my analog synths and my vintage digital one's, they're classics. And I've openly said if I could only take one synth to an deserted island it would be my Kronos II.
But I think we're reaching a point where the market is getting saturated with same o same o synths, and this synth is clearly designed with out of the box thinking. The design on this thing is off the charts, I love it.
You could have a very progressive synth set up pairing this with a Moog Grandmother and a nice poly and BAM!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornish1999 ➡️
£265, I’m in, NAMM winners for me so far
So for a grand you could by an analog 808, a mad Crazy digital synth,and almost afford a minilogue XD that’s pretty insane really. Go back 1 year and price that up with available options at the time.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I just skimmed the reddit thread, and it really seems to me that what upsets Émilie is the messaging, i.e. what I said earlier: use of “collaboration” implies a greater level of involvement than there actually was. I think if they’d just written, “we adapted open source code from the Mutable Instruments Plaits module”, she wouldn’t have had much to say. She apparently was aware beforehand that they planned to use her logo. Of course, you can run an open source project from a fully trademarked company, so if she was able to stop them from using the Mutable Instruments name/logo, it was a mistake of her not to. But it strikes me as totally reasonable to be annoyed at the use of “collaboration”.

Last edited by yonatron; 25th January 2019 at 02:20 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phutyle ➡️
Yeah, but Apple don’t claim that OS X is a “collaboration” with the Linux Foundation.

No one has a problem with the use of the software - it’s open source, it’s there to be used. Everyone gets that.

The issue is Atruria claiming it’s a “collaboration”, when it’s not. A collaboration is a two way thing. In this instance Arturia took the code and implemented it unilaterally - a perfectly legal and ethical thing to do in itself. But it’s disingenuous to call it a collaboration if MI didn’t have an active input into the process.
My point was: Why do people think businesses have any right to act in good morals?

I am not blind to anything you mentioned, and I agree it was shady to do that to MI. But apart from some internet talk for very pedantic nerds, it won't affect sales for Arturia at Guitar Center and the like. I think its a fool's errand to expect morality from companies, regardless if its some major telecom or a small synthesizer manufacturer. "Voting with your dollar" is not anywhere near a force like people make it out to be, and thats why stuff like this happens
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years

they speak about MI here
Old 25th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja ➡️
I was thinking that too but geez it has like two sounds..
Hey, that's one more than the Timbrewolf.
Old 25th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffivegas ➡️
Hey, that's one more than the Timbrewolf.
I would say that it is two more than Timbrewolf
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Oh come on, the Timbre Wolf has BOTH bass humm and that sproingy sound.. you didn't say they had to be two good sounds
📝 Reply