The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
**** them for calling it a MI collaboration when it's not.

Not getting this or any other Arturia product. Meh.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
A bit irritating the body is so thick yet they went with jack MIDI instead of DIN
Old 24th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by recnsci ➡️
Honestly, this "collaboration" is more of a PR for Arturia than for M.I. People either have no clue about MI, so collab means nothing for them, or know (and usually madly respect) MI, so collab is considerable added value for Arturia's product.
I fell for the latter

totally get it’s open source. Would’ve been fine if they said “using the open source osc from mutable instruments” or something.

But just seems dishonest to say it was a collaborative effort. That implies more streamlined integration rather than the copy and paste it actually was
Lives for gear

Quote:
At first I was like, this was best idea I've seen in years, especially since I consider Plaits as second to none in modularverse,

and then

this is beyond ****ed up. I'll wait to see all the details, I don't wont to believe that someone in Arturia was such an imbecile to screw this up so badly.
It's a dog eat dog world, and you've probably eaten one and not known it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Honestly, this "collaboration" is more of a PR for Arturia than for M.I. People either have no clue about MI, so collab means nothing for them, or know (and usually madly respect) MI, so collab is considerable added value for Arturia's product.
Ah well I didnt touch on whether the deal was fair, I was mostly pointing out that there are different ways different people see this stuff, and for PR purposes its only going to work if both sides see the value and are ok with it.

I do think you are missing out on the scenario where 'someone hadnt heard of MI before this collab, but now they do and they go looking to find out more' which is really not uncommon and has happened to me plenty of times in the past (as a customer, not creator).

There is also the dimension that is no different to all the historic complaints and battles people have fought over having their name attached in some way to a piece of art, music, instrument, etc. Sometimes people go crazy struggling for the recognition they truly deserve, other times a project goes sour and they want no association with it anymore (often an issue of how much control they ended up having and how much they were compromised).
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo ➡️
Sounds great, nice price. As for this collab nonsense... who cares, the synth is a good-un.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
While it was handled in bad taste, not sure what anyone was expecting to the contrary with open source programming ... look at Apple taking so much Linux development and putting it into OSX, for instance. If you make something free, thats also unique and in demand, it gonna get got.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Without wishing to jump atop the wild horses of speculation its worth remembering that the mini/microbrute development eventually led to the birth of the matrixbrute, its entirely possible that this little beast may open the door to some behemoth hybrid polysynth at some point down the line.

With regards to the involvement of MI none of us know all the particulars but i cant help thinking it would have been a more mutually beneficial arrangement for arturia to bring MI into the fold a little more on this thing.Having it branded as an arturia/MI collaboration would probably result in more sales across the board. Regardless of all that it still looks like a great product and an awful lot of synth for what amounts to beer money.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
More people have heard of Arturia than MI. From MIDI controllers, to software, to hardware synths and drum machines, Arturia has been far more accessible for the average consumer.

Only pros and deep hobbyists know who MI is.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow ➡️
While it was handled in bad taste, not sure what anyone was expecting to the contrary with open source programming ... look at Apple taking so much Linux development and putting it into OSX, for instance. If you make something free, thats also unique and in demand, it gonna get got.
As a Linux guy I'm happy to see it in Apple's OS(which is Unix based).
bax
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveElbows ➡️
I wont think of it as a MPE controller since Arturia havent used that term and have focussed on PolyAT instead. And MPE is more than that, but this is still an interesting controller and instrument that I will probably get at some point.
They do mention "MPE and polyphonic afterouch-enabled virtual instruments" but I agree with you; it may not be as fully-featured but singularly focused on PolyAT. One can hope, anyway:

From their website: Arturia - Details :

The magic touch

MicroFreak’s tactile interface is like nothing you’ve ever used before. A flat, touch-sensitive keyboard with no moving parts may seem alien, but it feels so natural to use.

The 25-key printed circuit board not only track the notes you play with lightning-speed, but can also detect pressure and aftertouch on each note individually. This has some exciting applications within MicroFreak itself, but also for MPE and polyphonic aftertouch-enabled virtual instruments when MicroFreak is used as a MIDI controller.

The touch-controls above the keyboard also give you access to the key parameters of the sequencer, while the touch strip can be used as a pitch bender, or to control the amount of “Spice” and “Dice” in your sequences.

Thanks!
bax
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years

guy from arturia says our new freak range. so probably a bunch more stuff coming.hell, maybe even a drum machine that doesn't sound like ass.

they should have made it a module and sell the keyboard separately. but it's cool. sounds great too.

as far as this MI thing, i didn't even see any collab info before reading about it here, 5 minutes ago. so maybe their pr dept skipped over me. i admit i don't read all the nonsense companies write in their product launches. just skip to the tech details or audio demos.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toitoy ➡️
LOve the board design and poly-aftertouch

IN your face ELEKTRON!
what?

This is very cool but......
Old 24th January 2019
Deleted c74c961
very cool synth show me more
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood ➡️
More people have heard of Arturia than MI. From MIDI controllers, to software, to hardware synths and drum machines, Arturia has been far more accessible for the average consumer.

Only pros and deep hobbyists know who MI is.

Exposure is a toxic lie for any creative profession.

It wouldn't have hurt them to do the Right Thing.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasni1 ➡️
**** them for calling it a MI collaboration when it's not.

Not getting this or any other Arturia product. Meh.
But you probobaly eat meat....
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bax ➡️
They do mention "MPE and polyphonic afterouch-enabled virtual instruments" but I agree with you; it may not be as fully-featured but singularly focused on PolyAT. One can hope, anyway:

From their website: Arturia - Details :

The magic touch

MicroFreak’s tactile interface is like nothing you’ve ever used before. A flat, touch-sensitive keyboard with no moving parts may seem alien, but it feels so natural to use.

The 25-key printed circuit board not only track the notes you play with lightning-speed, but can also detect pressure and aftertouch on each note individually. This has some exciting applications within MicroFreak itself, but also for MPE and polyphonic aftertouch-enabled virtual instruments when MicroFreak is used as a MIDI controller.

The touch-controls above the keyboard also give you access to the key parameters of the sequencer, while the touch strip can be used as a pitch bender, or to control the amount of “Spice” and “Dice” in your sequences.

Thanks!
bax
Thanks. I dont know if I missed the word MPE earlier or if they edited it later, or if I was reading a slightly different part of the site.

In any case I'm still not wanting to compare this to other MPE controllers much, since although I dont feel fully informed, they dont mention anything about it detecting finger position on the keys (for sliding and gliding around and sending parameters on based on these x and y coordinates), and there is a separate area for doing pitch bends. And given that I think I saw someone making a comparison to things like the Animoog on-screen controller earlier I suppose I am keen to dampen expectations on that front. It looks like we get pressure, not these other dimensions of expressivity. I will be very happy to be wrong about this, but for now its the assumption I must make.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
More people have heard of Arturia than MI.
I went from "this is really good" to "I have to buy this ASAP" when I've seen M.I. getting mentioned. Mentioning M.I. will get more customers for Arturia, not much more but will get some. Opposite will not happen. If somebody gets interested in modular synthesis, MI stuff is already on the top of their shopping list. Emile certainly does not need any more advertisement among potential buyers of modular stuff.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson ➡️
But you probobaly eat meat....
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

One of the things I really hated about the 3 Boutiques I owned is the 3.5mm jacks and at first I thought this was going to be the same, then I noticed the 1/4" jack and now i'm interested again.

However I've just recently bought a Toraiz AS-1 with ribbon keyboard and I can't work out if it sometimes misses a note i've just played, or if it's due to the patch and parameters, or maybe me not hitting the key properly. Still not sure, but I guess it's kept costs down and can't be any worse than the Boutique's terrible keyboard.

Loving the Kraftwerkesque Mr Robot demo on the Arturia page and given there doesn't seem to be a vocoder in the box, it makes me wonder how much of the demo tracks are played with this keyboard.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiglo ➡️
Loving the Kraftwerkesque Mr Robot demo on the Arturia page and given there doesn't seem to be a vocoder in the box, it makes me wonder how much of the demo tracks are played with this keyboard.
I havent checked that demo and I dont really know what I am talking about but I think one of the Plaits oscillators is a voice thingy.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I went from "this is really good" to "I have to buy this ASAP" when I've seen M.I. getting mentioned. Mentioning M.I. will get more customers for Arturia, not much more but will get some. Opposite will not happen. If somebody gets interested in modular synthesis, MI stuff is already on the top of their shopping list. Emile certainly does not need any more advertisement among potential buyers of modular stuff.
you keep writing Emile. It's Émilie. Read that slowly.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
As a Linux guy I'm happy to see it in Apple's OS(which is Unix based).
Me too, but I don't see Torvalds being upset about it (then again, he goes to sleep on a pile of money)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveElbows ➡️
It looks like we get pressure, not these other dimensions of expressivity. I will be very happy to be wrong about this, but for now its the assumption I must make.
It's not even clear that they generate velocity in the MIDI output. (Velocity is derivable from the rate of change of the initial pressure values, which is how LinnStrument and I think Roli do it.)
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlus ➡️
£265, I’m in, NAMM winners for me so far
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You need to remember people who post hear are just a vocal minority of the consumer base. How many people are even into modular versus the rest of stuff? Arturia has sold far more in just VSTs and MIDI controllers than MI has sold of anything in their entire existence. And this doesn't even consider all of the other stuff they've done.

Arturia simply has a far bigger presence in the general market. Modular is really really niche in comparison.

Cliff notes: The vast majority of buyers have never heard of MI. There is no brand power there. Only geeks and pros care, who are a very vocal minority.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimwolf ➡️
It's not even clear that they generate velocity in the MIDI output. (Velocity is derivable from the rate of change of the initial pressure values, which is how LinnStrument and I think Roli do it.)
Yes another fine point. Theres a lot in these MPE controllers that I take somewhat for granted, which is partly why I find myself moderating my expectations when something cheap and new that has some superficial similarities arrives.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➡️

Exposure is a toxic lie for any creative profession.

It wouldn't have hurt them to do the Right Thing.
I don't know what this means. Care to clarify?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffivegas ➡️
you keep writing Emile. It's Émilie. Read that slowly.
English is not my first language, and I'm utterly unfamiliar with french. I could not pronounce anything written in french if my life dependent on it. You should see my posts before magic of auto-correct.
📝 Reply