The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog Sirin
Old 24th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinw ➡️
Agree... Would have been perfect if it had real PWM from the panel
Just downloaded the manual... no mention of PWM at all. No mention of pulse width at all either...looks like sawtooth and square is all you gots.

The specs on the website mention hard sync, but there's no way to sweep just one oscillator's pitch to get the classic hard sync sound... nor is hard sync mentioned in the manual (at all)... so maybe they meant to say note sync?
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you really want one, is it called:

“MOOG Sirin Gas?”

Sounds deadly
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah I'll stick with the plain Minitaur thanks.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If this is the Minitaur with extended note range ill def grab one and sell my original Minitaur, but I need to know its not changed in the low end dept! Need to investigate!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➡️
I like the music played. I like how it looks...
same here
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz ➡️
Just downloaded the manual... no mention of PWM at all. No mention of pulse width at all either...looks like sawtooth and square is all you gots.

The specs on the website mention hard sync, but there's no way to sweep just one oscillator's pitch to get the classic hard sync sound... nor is hard sync mentioned in the manual (at all)... so maybe they meant to say note sync?
On the Minitaur, all of that is available and documented in the Addendums and the doc for the Editor
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looks like the Sirin has a note range of E0-D8, while the Minitaur goes from C-2 to C4 (I think... this is based on MIDI note number ranges I found online). So we gain 4 octaves on the high end and lose 2 on the bottom compared to the Minitaur.

If you want to go into the bowel loosening regions of subsonic bass, the Minitaur is better, but then it's limited to bass, while the Sirin can go much higher.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 13e7993 ➡️
Nothing Satanic about the mythology of Sirins.
right, hence the pagan/ part. The grandmother promo vids prominently featured a pentagram.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn ➡️
On the Minitaur, all of that is available and documented in the Addendums and the doc for the Editor
I found hard sync and a few other things in the Minitaur 2.2.1 firmware release notes... but nothing about PWM, there anyway.

Hopefully the Sirin has everything the latest Minitaur firmware does, but they apparently didn't update the manual... and the editor and its documentation is only available to those who own a synth and register it online.

Not sure why I'm GASing as much as I am over this thing. I was never interested in the Minitaur even though I love the Taurus bass sound. I guess with limited funds I try to get synths that are more than just one trick ponies. There's something alluring about "Analog Messenger of Joy" though... and I'm sure it will sound fantastic once a GOOD demo video is posted.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would prefer Sarin to Sirin.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

OMFG! After the new Arturia video and this video I envy the deaf and blind
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It would be neat if the Sirin and/or Minitaur had a transpose feature... then those that have one of each could connect both up on the same midi channel but with the Minitaur transposed an octave down, to get some huge 4 oscillator octave bass sounds.

One could still do it using a DAW or MIDI filter that sends the same note to both synths, but with the octave shifted down one to the Minitaur. Or set the Minitaur to low note priority and the Sirin to high note priority and have a super 4 oscillator duophonic laxative synth.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I like it! Looks and all. Nice cream in that sound. But DAMN if this NAMM isn't $poiling all my plans now.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 ➡️
it's a trend to make awful promos, you forgot the monologueXd video
Old 24th January 2019
Here for the gear

Would be interesting to compare this to the latest version of the Mono Lancet by Vermona, and also the Erebus v3.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just watched the MicroFreak video. At least that does a good job of telling you what the synth is, some ways you can use, and how it sounds. It's better than the DrumBrute vid with the ballet dancer. ...and much better than that one Moog video with people bantering about hipster chic and saying nothing at all about the synth.
Lives for gear

Quote:
It would be neat if the Sirin and/or Minitaur had a transpose feature... then those that have one of each could connect both up on the same midi channel but with the Minitaur transposed an octave down, to get some huge 4 oscillator octave bass sounds.

One could still do it using a DAW or MIDI filter that sends the same note to both synths, but with the octave shifted down one to the Minitaur. Or set the Minitaur to low note priority and the Sirin to high note priority and have a super 4 oscillator duophonic laxative synth.
You should be able to polychain like the minitaur.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toitoy ➡️
it's a trend to make awful promos, you forgot the monologueXd video
I had to go to therapy for 5 months after seeing that video thanks for the reversion. Now I have to start all over again
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle ➡️
You should be able to polychain like the minitaur.
True.. but that won't give you the unison effect on a single note... you'd have to play 2 notes an octave apart.

According to the 2.1 features document there is a transpose feature in the Minitaur. Hopefully the Sirin inherited the latest Minitaur feature set. The manual didn't...
Quote:
I had to go to therapy for 5 months after seeing that video thanks for the reversion. Now I have to start all over again
That's pretty impressive for a video that came out 5 days ago.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp ➡️
Just watched the MicroFreak video. At least that does a good job of telling you what the synth is, some ways you can use, and how it sounds. It's better than the DrumBrute vid with the ballet dancer. ...and much better than that one Moog video with people bantering about hipster chic and saying nothing at all about the synth.
Was that the one for the Mother 32? If its the video I’m thinking of then it’s the one where I vowed to never buy a modern Moog product as long as I live.
Lives for gear

Quote:
True.. but that won't give you the unison effect on a single note... you'd have to play 2 notes an octave apart.

According to the 2.1 features document there is a transpose feature in the Minitaur. Hopefully the Sirin inherited the latest Minitaur feature set. The manual didn't...That's pretty impressive for a video that came out 5 days ago.
I did it in virtual with the ratio cranked up to 25:1 time ratio
Old 25th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumcandy ➡️
Would be interesting to compare this to the latest version of the Mono Lancet by Vermona, and also the Erebus v3.
dang, forgot about the mono lancet! thanks for bringing it to my remembrance!
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear
Wow and I thought no Moog product for 2019 since I lost interest in the One. I placed an order for one.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbleraptor ➡️
My thoughts exactly, but that won't stop the Moog chumps reaching for their credit cards to complete the set.
As a Moog Chump I placed an order. Lol
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is it just me or does this thing look more like a Christmas card or advent calendar rather than a synth?
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Head

Would look really cool next to Mu-Tron pedal.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Whichever Gearslut receives theirs first NEEDS to post a video ASAP so we can hear how it sounds better than the Moog video.

I've been reading some of the Minitaur threads and watched some videos on Youtube... gosh that thing sounds incredible. If the Sirin sounds just as good in the bass registers I just might have to pop for one. Sorry Grandma... you might have to wait a few months...

Also from reading Minitaur threads, it doesn't have PWM but it can be faked using hard sync... I did something similar on a JX-8P years ago.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Also from reading Minitaur threads, it doesn't have PWM but it can be faked using hard sync... I did something similar on a JX-8P years ago.
Yes, sorry, it doesn’t have straightforward PWM, but the “hack” works well.

Looks like I’ll be ordering tonight. Looking forward to doing a side by side with the Minitaur.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i've been wanting to buy a moog like this for years been reeding the manual seems easy to use. they could of done a better intro video thoe
📝 Reply