The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog Sirin
Old 16th June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Glide+Osc 1 waveform goes "up" one preset and Glide+Osc 2 waveform goes "down" one preset. Hold down Glide like it's a shift key and then hit the waveform buttons to scroll through the presets.

The synth boots into "preset 0" which is manual mode. Create your desired default preset w/velocity and store it in preset 1 using the editor (which I assume you're using if you're turning on velocity sensitivity).

Then, when you power up the synth, hit Glide+Osc 1 Waveform once, and you'll be on your preferred preset.
Old 16th June 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 7e91f65
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz ➡️
Glide+Osc 1 waveform goes "up" one preset and Glide+Osc 2 waveform goes "down" one preset.

The synth boots on "preset 0" which is manual mode. Create your desired default preset w/velocity and store it in preset 1 using the editor (which I assume you're using if you're turning on velocity sensitivity).

Then, when you power up the synth, hit Glide+Osc 1 Waveform once, and you'll be on your preferred preset.

i can do that. let me ask one more question. there seems to be two categories of presets, factory, and ones i make. how do you know which the synth will start in and how do you control that?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 7e91f65 ➡️
i can do that. let me ask one more question. there seems to be two categories of presets, factory, and ones i make. how do you know which the synth will start in and how do you control that?
All the presets in the synth are overwriteable (except 000 which is the manual mode, or "panel settings"). The only distinction between factory and user presets are the folder they're in in the editor, and who created them.

The editor lets you move any preset, factory or user, into any preset position in the Sirin (hardware presets on the right side of the library).

So, if you want to put your "default" preset into number 001, you can do this, and if you happened to like the factory preset that was in 001 originally, you can move it to another slot in the editor.
Deleted 7e91f65
Quote:
All the presets in the synth are overwriteable (except 000 which is the manual mode, or "panel settings"). The only distinction between factory and user presets are the folder they're in in the editor, and who created them.

The editor lets you move any preset, factory or user, into any preset position in the Sirin (hardware presets on the right side of the library).

So, if you want to put your "default" preset into number 001, you can do this, and if you happened to like the factory preset that was in 001 originally, you can move it to another slot in the editor.

thank you i got this far but mine are not numbered in any way. there are no 001 so i don't know what to make of that and i tried to over-wright the first preset and it hasn't worked.
Old 17th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 7e91f65 ➡️
thank you i got this far but mine are not numbered in any way. there are no 001 so i don't know what to make of that and i tried to over-wright the first preset and it hasn't worked.
Click the "Preset Manager" button in the editor. You'll then see folders on the left (factory and user, plus any new folders you may have added), presets in the selected folder in the middle, and hardware presets on the right. The hardware presets are the ones in the synth itself (at least, as of the last time you clicked "Get") and they're numbered 000-127 (000 is reserved for panel settings/manual).

From here, you can drag and drop presets from the library into any preset slot on the hardware presets panel, then click Send to send the patch to the synth. I'd put your preferred defaults into 001, then when you power up and hit Glide+Osc 1 you'll get your default patch.
Old 4th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
On a weird, tangential whim, I looked and found a brand new Sirin to join my OG Minitaur, creating a 4-oscillator bi-timbral, mini-mega-Taurus bass & lead synth rig.

They shall sit atop The (quad-timbral) River, which will be their main controller (via CV, MIDI, audio inputs into TR's FX, or whatever works) in all their big, ergo knob-paneled glory, along with a new lmtd ed. black BeatStep Pro, which Baloran has developed and implemented as an auxiliary River sequence and ARP controller with a nifty FW update that included micro-tuning and alt scales.

Symmetry Matters :D
Attached Thumbnails
Moog Sirin-fr-synth-desk-racks-.jpg  
Old 6th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Superb short instructional video regarding DAW integration with the Sirin (or Minitaur).

Moog has really advanced these knobby modules into computer and DAW-land with very well-implemented editor/librarians and plug-in / CC-automation integration. I should say, they've advanced the Minitaur over some 8+ years and the Sirin gets to ride on his metal-plated coattails.

Spectrasonics also added the Sirin (and Minitaur) to their supported h/w integration, which really expands these modules' tactile-enabled sonic ranges through Omnisphere's responsive interface and bumps my O-enabled synths to 9. The main desk & hutch also has the Prophet-X and Super Jupiter Programmer, providing a lot of knobby O-control there. I think the PX will make for an almost ideal knobby O-controller.

What's really cool is I have a flat screen mobile laptop style USB3 monitor (laid flat on The River's top between the Sirin & Minitaur) that I can flip up in front of the BSP so their editors or a PT HD session using them and/or my other synths are visible front & center.

What's really, really cool is that I'll be able to process ((( stereo ))) audio signals through their combined ext inputs, making their pairing an incredibly useful and welcome one for me, considering my stereo synthesis sympathies... from drum kits to bg vox to a rhythmic Super Jupiter poly sequence and anything in between.

So, what at first may seem a little redundant and over-Mooger-extavigant, is actually an expanded array of incredibly useful, ergonomic, tactile big-knob module panels ready for all manner of analog and/or digital sonic mayhem, processing and control.
Attached Thumbnails
Moog Sirin-fr-synth-desk-racks-screen.jpg  
Old 8th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory ➡️
On a weird, tangential whim, I looked and found a brand new Sirin to join my OG Minitaur, creating a 4-oscillator bi-timbral, mini-mega-Taurus bass & lead synth rig. They shall sit atop The (quad-timbral) River. . . .
Symmetry Matters :D
I'll be doing something similar with an 88-key controller and my Sirin and Typhon. I'm currently looking for a t-i-i-i-i-ny rack for the latter two Greek and Russian myths so that they can stack while intersecting. Both are good for low-end sounds of different kinds as well as high.

Will Moog ever release a darker mini-module and call it Alkonost? And how would they characterize "darker" if that wasn't going to mean an extension of the low end or low register? The next obvious area would be tone, but it would be fun if they found a less common aspect of sound, methodology or the UI to frame as dark or melancholic.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrypt ➡️

Will Moog ever release a darker mini-module and call it Alkonost? And how would they characterize "darker" if that wasn't going to mean an extension of the low end or low register? The next obvious area would be tone, but it would be fun if they found a less common aspect of sound, methodology or the UI to frame as dark or melancholic.
Maybe a sleek looking 49-key poly based on Taurus oscillators with sonic ranges of the mighty Minitaur up to the subtle Sirin, a scaled-down One UI, same center-screen concept & full mod-matrix, with the GrandMother's spring reverb and the Matriarch's stereo delay called Ulysses !?
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory ➡️
Maybe a 49-key poly based on Taurus oscillators with sonic ranges of Minitaur up to the Sirin and a scaled -down One interface called Ulysses!?
I would love that!
Old 1st May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Prices are currently insane for these. Wow
Old 1st May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➡️
Prices are currently insane for these. Wow
I bought mine as an investment as well as a synth, figuring prices would go up after they're unobtanium. Though I love the sound so much I doubt I'd ever sell it.

That said, I'd love for Moog to re-release it. So many "what synth should I buy" threads could be answered with Sirin if they were still available.

I bought a Werkstatt-01 knowing it's a limited release too. Love its sound too (I must really like Moog sound!) and at $200 it was a no brainer, and I bet in a few years it'll double in price too.
Old 13th April 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I bought mine as an investment as well as a synth, figuring prices would go up after they're unobtanium. Though I love the sound so much I doubt I'd ever sell it.

That said, I'd love for Moog to re-release it. So many "what synth should I buy" threads could be answered with Sirin if they were still available.

I bought a Werkstatt-01 knowing it's a limited release too. Love its sound too (I must really like Moog sound!) and at $200 it was a no brainer, and I bet in a few years it'll double in price too.
How much did you pay for your Sirin if I may ask?
Thanks
Old 13th April 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kla234 ➡️
How much did you pay for your Sirin if I may ask?
Thanks
$599. That was the price when they were sold new.
Old 14th April 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
$599. That was the price when they were sold new.
That was a great deal back then! The used ones are going from 1-2K now!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru ➡️
I know! I should have emptied my 401k and bought up a few hundred of them back then. I could retire! Or polychain them! haha!
Quote:
I know! I should have emptied my 401k and bought up a few hundred of them back then. I could retire! Or polychain them! haha!
Indeed! This is a fine example of: "If you snooze, you lose."

I can kick myself. When the Sirin was still in production, I wanted to get one.

Oh well, live and learn.
Old 14th April 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I opted for GM back when this came out. today's me would buy this instead of grandmother
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolafish ➡️
I opted for GM back when this came out. today's me would buy this instead of grandmother
I was planning on getting a Grandmother when the Sirin was announced, and went with the Sirin instead. So I did the opposite.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Indeed! This is a fine example of: "If you snooze, you lose."

I can kick myself. When the Sirin was still in production, I wanted to get one.

Oh well, live and learn.
The AS-1 is still in production. Sure it's not a Moog but it's not not a Moog either. Investment-wise the SE-02 might be worth snapping up for its brand recognition (the external box has been discontinued).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That's a totally unjustified price for that synth. I bet that it will be much cheaper in many local 2nd hand markets. I would never pay that amount of money for it, no matter if it has been discontinued or not. Even the original price when it was in production was a bit pumped up.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I agree the used prices are crazy, and even the new ones were steep.
Of course it's a limited-edition Moog so it wasn't going to be cheap, but if I hadn't found a great offer on one of the last available (€529 brand new) I woulnd't own one.

Anyway it's a great little synth, and the PC editor is awesome. I can't see myself selling mine in the foreseeable future, at any price.
Old 15th April 2022
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I have one, and love it. A bit of overlap from my Slim Phatty, so I've thought quite a bit about selling mine recently
Old 15th April 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker ➡️
I have one, and love it. A bit of overlap from my Slim Phatty, so I've thought quite a bit about selling mine recently
I'm in a similar situation: I also have a Little Phatty and have been pondering if it's redundant next to the Sirin (or vice versa).
They share many features, and also many shortcomings (for example the lack of a noise source or not receiving aftertouch). Still, the core sound is quite different when you test them side by side: thanks largely to the filter drive/overload, the Phatty is darker and more muffled (in a VERY good way!), and the possibility to have 1-2-3-4-poles is awesome, it opens up the character of the synth in unexpected ways. The oscillators are more flexible (selectable octave, variable waveshapes) and there are tons of little tricks available through the menus.
Still, I think I prefer the core sound of the Sirin's oscillators and filter, and it actually has a few modulation options which are superior to the LP.
But of course the Phatty is a self-contained instrument, that can be played and programmed live without the need for a master keyboard or a PC editor.
So for the moment I cannot bring myself to sell either of them...instead I can use the LP to drive the Sirin and have a monster 4-oscillator, 2-filter, 2-LFO, 4-env Moog mono!
Old 19th April 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut
My studio at home is tiny, so the Sirin is perfect for me. It is surprisingly useful for fleshing out or being the sole bass sound in a track -- surprising even though its brother is the Taurus. (Also, I heart Russian paradisiacal birds. Why is there no Alkonost synth!?)
Attached Thumbnails
Moog Sirin-my-rig-04-22-2022.jpg  
Old 27th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Does anyone know the system requirements for the current Sirin / Miniature editor plugin?

I'm looking to pick one up and want to use it with a recent version of Pro Tools via AAX. There is no info on the Moog website and you need to register one to download the software... Thanks!
Old 27th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaP ➡️
Does anyone know the system requirements for the current Sirin / Miniature editor plugin?

I'm looking to pick one up and want to use it with a recent version of Pro Tools via AAX. There is no info on the Moog website and you need to register one to download the software... Thanks!
All I have is the release notes from the most recent version which has OSX requirements. I use Cubase in Windows (VST) so I don't know if it works w/AAX.

EDIT: I found a Minitaur editor manual online that says it works with VST, AU, RTAS and AAX, so the Sirin editor should too.

Quote:
========================================
SIRIN EDITOR - VERSION HISTORY
========================================

----------------------------------------
1.1.1 (OSX):
- Added support for Apple Silicon
- Minimum requirement OSX 10.13
- Removed legacy 32 bits, VST2 and RTAS plugins
1.1.0 (OSX):
- Added support for OSX Catalina
1.0.1 :
- Embed factory presets
- Various bug fixing
1.0.0 :
- Initial release
Old 28th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
All I have is the release notes from the most recent version which has OSX requirements. I use Cubase in Windows (VST) so I don't know if it works w/AAX.

EDIT: I found a Minitaur editor manual online that says it works with VST, AU, RTAS and AAX, so the Sirin editor should too.
Yes, if it's Apple silicon approved it should be fine with current versions. Thanks!

Also, if anyone is ready to let go of theirs PM me.
📝 Reply