Quantcast
TR-style VST sequencer plugin? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TR-style VST sequencer plugin?
Old 26th January 2019
Is the JD-Xi the only keyboard sequencer with x0x style sequencing, or are there others?
Old 26th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Machinery ➡️
A piano roll IS a sequencer slot. It is literally already what you are asking for.
This thread is about STEP sequencing, as that is what the OP said he liked about the JD-Xi. The piano roll is not a step sequencer. Cakewalk is a good example of software that has both - you can sequence MIDI in piano roll or step sequencer mode. I thought it was pretty clear that I was talking about a step sequencer in my post.
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Arturia Spark LE says hi
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I highly recommend loomer architect , currently in beta stage after 5 years of development , but pretty stable already
Far surpasses numerology , architect is prett effin deep
Has already some very usefull built in sequencers , and the macro library will grow for sure + a fast vector graphics gui , can also host vst/au plugins , midi out and cv out
Nice vectorgraphs and 300+ low level modules to built anything you need , I already created a thread about it
Loomer architect

Architect beta for macOS, Windows, and Linux. 0.9.9 now available - KVR Audio
Loomer Architect Modular MIDI Toolkit VST AU AAX
Old 22nd May 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectrojape ➡️
How about a vst tr-style sequencer that lets you map the step-buttons to a midi contoller? Does this exist?
Is this really something that doesn't exist?
I am looking for any drum machine style step sequencer that you can control with midi toggle buttons.
Please telle there is something out there.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Man ➡️
Is this really something that doesn't exist?
I am looking for any drum machine style step sequencer that you can control with midi toggle buttons.
Please telle there is something out there.
I-no-rite! It's a sad state of affairs - there are quite a few that come tantalizingly close but I haven't found anything yet that is spot-on.

It's driven me on the quest to make it myself - I have begun with an arpeggiator as my first plugin and after that is done I will begin work on the step-sequencer. (shouldn't be long - just implementing swing and making a prettier UI is left)
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Well the Beatstep Pro was mentioned twice on the first page. Its not a VST and its a little more than just a x0x style drum sequencer, but it does the job perfectly. Its sequencer in general is really a joke, but if you just want to jam out some patterns and catch em in your DAW, in sync even, its a no brainer. For me it got rid of the stupid mouse and let me actually have fun making drum tracks again.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectrojape ➡️
I-no-rite! It's a sad state of affairs - there are quite a few that come tantalizingly close but I haven't found anything yet that is spot-on.

It's driven me on the quest to make it myself - I have begun with an arpeggiator as my first plugin and after that is done I will begin work on the step-sequencer. (shouldn't be long - just implementing swing and making a prettier UI is left)
Very cool. Hats off to you for taking initiative and best of luck with your projects.

The entire 'hardware control of software' market is so completely pathetic. I am blown away by how lacking the options are in many areas.
It's strange to me because there is a huge market to be tapped into if someone could figure out how to do things right. The two biggest trends in the very lucrative music creation industry are software plugins and DAWless modular and boutique hardware boxes. They seem like opposites, but they're not! They are two different solutions to the same problem. Musicians want power/flexibility and hands on control. Plugins give you the former while sacrificing the latter and hardware boxes give you the latter at the expense of the former.
If someone could just figure out how to combine the two! But there is no one even coming close right now. There are hardly any things even moving in the right direction. And those that are are mostly these platform exclusive things like the Ableton Push.
The problem is that this is the kind of thing that a large company with lots of resources needs to take up because the R & D costs are high and the potential profit margin is relatively low. But it's the kind of thing that needs a small companies innovative thinking because the bloated giants just don't see the problem for what it is.
Anyway, rant over. I'll go and use my cutting edge 1980s technology of a mouse and midi 1.0 to control my 21st century soft synths, drum machines and samplers.

By the way, what are the things you think come tantalizingly close?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➡️
A large part of the charm of x0x is the actual buttons; it's a lot less fun if you have to click them. Still, whatever floats your boat

D16's Nepheton (it's a TR909 emulation) can be set to External Mode, which allows it to act as a pattern-based sequencer for other plugins or hardware.
D16's 909 emulation is called Drumazon. Nepheton is the 808 if I remember correctly.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Man ➡️

By the way, what are the things you think come tantalizingly close?
For me, Lemur was the closest thing to what i'm after. You could make step sequencers with custom/adjustable numbers of steps, lanes, note divisions, cc,s etc..but it was completely unstable :( spurious notes and stuttering under sync. I had a couple of skype sessions with one of the developers and they acknowledged this, pledged to fix it, then a short while after they abandoned the project.

Others that showed promise were RaxnTrax, I like the drum sequencers of the D16 plugs too but again no way to map the step buttons..yeah there's been a few others I don't remember the names.

Heh, I remember once trying to fudge an xox sequencer using Cubase. Make 16 midi tracks, each of which has a single midi-note - one track per 1/6th note - then assigning the mute button of each track to a midi button. It didn't really work because muting/un-muting caused clicks/pops if a note was already sounding

I agree that it's odd there are not more solutions out there.
📝 Reply