Quantcast
How to set up Drumbrute for use with a DAW? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to set up Drumbrute for use with a DAW?
Old 21st January 2019
How to set up Drumbrute for use with a DAW?

Hey, I'm just getting around to hooking up my Drumbrute to Cakewalk and I've got a question. The two can be hooked up with a USB cable - does this carry only MIDI, or does it carry both Audio signals and MIDI? How do I go about recording the actual audio produced by the Drumbrute in Cakewalk?

With one of my synths it's a piece of cake, the synth itself is a USB audio interface and carries everything - audio out, audio in, MIDI - between the computer and the synth. Sounds generated by the synth can be recorded by the DAW over the USB cable.

Since I'm here, I might as well ask another question for those familiar with the Drumbrute: the signal coming out of Mix Output is awfully low. To hear anything I have to crank everything up, I have to max out both the master volume and the pad level, and on my mixer I have to crank up the gain, and even then it's nowhere near clipping. Is the Drumbrute supposed to be hooked up to a preamp first, or something?
Old 21st January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sounds like a question for... The Manual!

But typically, most gear that is MIDI capable and has USB simply uses USB for MIDI. There are some exceptions out there obviously but it's always good to read up on your new gear to see what it's capable of. Even going through the manual before buying is a great way to find out if it does what you want or if you're going to be buying more cables and other things just to make it work!

What mixer and audio interface are you using and when you say its quiet, what are you plugging it into to listen through? Line level input on the mixer?
Old 21st January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The USB is for MIDI only. The output on the DB is definitely on the low side, but you may also want to check online as there was a recall on some DB's. Mine was one of the affected units and even though the recall was for the snare I feel like the output is better overall since I got my unit back. Also be mindful of the gain staging. If you just whack up all the individual levels it feels like the mix path gets congested and sounds smaller.
Old 21st January 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
The USB is MIDI only. So you run MIDI from the DAW to the synth via USB. Then you run the audio output of your synth into your audio interface.

What kind of cord are you using to get audio from the mix output? TS or TRS? What are you running it into?
Old 8th February 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 ➡️
Sounds like a question for... The Manual!
The manual actually is, very sparse. Unfortunately. The opposite of a "read through a zillion things you're not interested in to get to the one thing you are" (most manuals); instead this is more like "we're not going to put anything worthwhile in here cuz you're not going to read it anyway).
Quote:
But typically, most gear that is MIDI capable and has USB simply uses USB for MIDI.
Yeah I figured I'd probably have to go through Line Out from the Drumbrute.
Quote:
What mixer and audio interface are you using and when you say its quiet, what are you plugging it into to listen through? Line level input on the mixer?
I'm using a Behringer mixer and the audio interface from my Juno-Gi. I plug Mix Out from the Drumbrute to Line In on my Behringer.
Old 8th February 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick fall ➡️
The USB is for MIDI only. The output on the DB is definitely on the low side, but you may also want to check online as there was a recall on some DB's.
Ah, really? Ok, thanks for confirming this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeSatellite ➡️
The USB is MIDI only. So you run MIDI from the DAW to the synth via USB. Then you run the audio output of your synth into your audio interface.
Thanks, makes sense.
Quote:
What kind of cord are you using to get audio from the mix output? TS or TRS? What are you running it into?
I've tried both. No discernible difference between them. I just run it from Mix Out on the DB to Line in on my mixer. My mixer also has a Mic preamp bus; I haven't tried it, but based on the other post above I feel this is probably related to the recall.
📝 Reply