Quantcast
New Elektron incoming = Model:Samples - Page 19 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Elektron incoming = Model:Samples
Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear

I’m digging mine so far. No choke groups that I can find. But maybe a workaround? anyone know? I’m thinking whole kits or breaks as a long sample.
It’s really well thought out and has a great flow. That sequencing jammin flow is what this thing is all about. It’s definitely not for everyone. But if direct lay down of beats and ideas is what you’re after check one out.
It works really well as a 6 track arranger too. I tried it by importing a few tracks worth of longer samples and edited/mangled those while I sequenced some over that. Just a bit more tasking for that use but still really fun as well.
Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I do like how they have gone more knobby/immediate. I kinda like it.
Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear

Grabbed one today. Now I just have to wait until I'm off of work.

I'll run it up the proverbial flag-pole tonight, and see who salutes it.
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I really feel that you will eventually miss features from a cut down Elektron. I am appreciating all features on the MD and MM. I always knew they were there but find they completely transforms the sound. They dropped features for the Digi models, now they have dropped even more features.
Old 13th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll ➡️
I really feel that you will eventually miss features from a cut down Elektron. I am appreciating all features on the MD and MM. I always knew they were there but find they completely transforms the sound. They dropped features for the Digi models, now they have dropped even more features.
Not at all. I went from the Octatrack to the Digitakt and not regretted doing so. For all their features, the pricier Elektron devices can be an absolute pain in the arse if you just need something instantaneous, so this product makes a lot of sense. If it wasn't for how useful I find MIDI sequencing (plus sample P-locks!), this seems a great counterpoint to my RYTM and all the housekeeping involved with it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll ➡️
I’ve owned them all from the SID Station on up except the Octatrack. My absolute favorite (own them presently) are the Digi Pair. They are a perfect mix of easy to access features. They aren’t the most deep or advanced, but they don’t get in the way of mt creativity. They are transparent and fun.

I just added the Model:Samples purely for fun on the fly noodling and minor supplement to my larger setup. So far it’s a blast after only a couple hours playing. I haven’t needed to look up a single thing. Just loaded up a ton of samples, updated the OS and was off. I’ve whipped up a few fun patterns, and can see this as perfect for sitting on the couch or laying around.
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
what exactly are the main differences between the Model Samples and the Digitakt besides lack of sampling?
The Model:Samples is WYSIWYG. If it can do something, there's a button or knob for it, if there's not a button or knob for it it can't do it. That's the main difference.
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Considering the Electribe 2 Sampler has everything missing from the M:S, and more, at essentially the same price, I'd have to go with the ES2 as the clear choice, even though it may sound somewhat inferior to my ears.
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think comparing the Model: to an ES2 is more sensible than calling it a better workflow easier Elektron.
It's a knob-per-function groovebox, which is basically the exact opposite of what the ES2 is. It's an Elektron sampler with fewer features and more hands on control. That's it.

Now they need to do something similar for keyboard samplers, i.e. diluting it down to knob-per-function and keeping the features you need in a keyboard sampler if that sampler isn't the only piece of gear you use. And a Model:Machinedrum with a similar interface and focus.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 ➡️
Not at all. I went from the Octatrack to the Digitakt and not regretted doing so. For all their features, the pricier Elektron devices can be an absolute pain in the arse if you just need something instantaneous, so this product makes a lot of sense. If it wasn't for how useful I find MIDI sequencing (plus sample P-locks!), this seems a great counterpoint to my RYTM and all the housekeeping involved with it.
I just have a digitakt and plan on getting an octatrack to complement my whole set up.

but i definitely feel like digitakt is too powerful for drums and id get the model:samples but im gonna upgrade my tr8 to tr8s lol
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer ➡️
It's an Elektron sampler with fewer features and more hands on control. That's it.
Sample player.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It's a knob-per-function groovebox, which is basically the exact opposite of what the ES2 is. It's an Elektron sampler with fewer features and more hands on control. That's it.

Now they need to do something similar for keyboard samplers, i.e. diluting it down to knob-per-function and keeping the features you need in a keyboard sampler if that sampler isn't the only piece of gear you use. And a Model:Machinedrum with a similar interface and focus.
I'm not getting how Roland are hated for always leaving out features, but Elektron are now praised for it? Odd because the gripe in olden times was Elektron always leave things out so you have to buy another one.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMODORE404 ➡️
digitakt is too powerful for drums
? too much sonic power?

Perhaps you mean you prefer the M:S being lower cost?
I'm not really praising Elektron for removing features so much as I am for adding the one feature I want on any instrument I own: every parameter has a control. I don't care if it's a guitar, a didgeridoo, a saxophone, a synth, a drum machine, whatever. I can work around feature limitations more than I can work around performance limitations. I always feel like if I'm not able to pick up an instrument and play it why am I buying hardware.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica ➡️
Sample player.
Forgot to mention, the Electribe is knobby as well, pretty much on par with the M:S. While I applaud Elektron's efforts to expand their market and reach more customers, I think their line up is feature messy, too hobbled, and ultimately, not usable--at least for my purposes.
So knobby.

Old 13th February 2019
Gear Nut

Can anyone shine a light on how do the pads compare to say the AR or an MPC?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heho ➡️
Can anyone shine a light on how do the pads compare to say the AR or an MPC?
They feel a little tight if that makes sense. I haven't looked for a pressure scaling feature yet, as I mainly step edit on the fly rather than tap the pads. I think if it can be adjusted to use slightly less velocity to trigger the whole range, they're pretty spot on. They seem like the potential is there for this, as they have range, just need more sensitivity.
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

So, I'm having a blast with this little guy. I didn't buy it to be my sole machine in this category though, which I think might be why some people may be a bit turned off. It's definitely a distilled set of features, but it also has some that the Digis don't (like individual pattern track lengths for one). I sat on the couch with it with a pair of headphones, and just rocked out last night. I know that I'll use it quite a bit with my setup, but what I got it for was purely for fun, and it delivers quite nicely in that department.

I do wish it could do per-step sample locking, but I've found creative ways to squeeze a bit more out of what's there. I also wish it had a bit crusher, but I can live without it. I can do all this on the Digitakt anyway, so no big deal. It's quite fun, and that's why I bought it.
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

Exactly. It’s just does what’s labeled. Everything has a knob. It’s all there. Little effort to getting ideas down and just messing around yields results.

The main thing for me is when I don’t have to menu dive to get to parameters tracks just flow. For example I can mess with a samples start end times and bring it right back(this is just for example, I know other hardware can do this) for more variety on passages of a track and less annoying setting up of every little detail beforehand.
May not seem that big a deal for some but for experimenting and making a basic song seem complex it’s vital.
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

Exactly! I've said this before, but for me, yes, I want a good list of features, and a good level of quality, but it's what I can get out of an instrument with minimal effort as opposed to having endless depth that takes too much work to get results out of. If programming gets in the way of fun and creativity, the instrument is less useful to me. I love to dig, but I'd rather dig on a modular for example, than into menus, shift/alt functions, etc.

I feel like the Digitakt and Digitone are an excellent balance of features, performance, and immediacy. I can sit and play on those, and be productive with them, because I'm not spending all my time setting them up.

The Model:Samples, is even more distilled, and as a byproduct, yes, it's a lot more simplistic. I'm under no delusion that it's a complete solution for me. What it does is allow me to create something for fun, that can also be integrated into something bigger with very little effort. I loaded mine up with chip sounds, (Atari, NES, SID) analog FM hits and percussion from my analogs, and few other things (drums, etc.) Pretty much the same thing I've got on my Digitakt, but where I'd be doing more sample mangling, looping, filtering, and near-granular sorts. On the Model:Samples, I'm using similar material, in smaller chunks, and just hammering out simple, but fun sequences. If I want to bolster those, I've got Digitakt, Digitone, Medusa, TR/TB, etc. to pull from, as well as a bunch of modular.

I still like whipping things up in tracker software even when I get the urge. This is like having a mod tracker with some extra flexibility and features, in a tiny box, that I can just sit back and relax with.

Sure, if you're a serious production musician doing soundtrack work, then maybe you need some more serious gear. It doesn't hurt to have something that's just fun though on the side. I can even see some talented people making excellent tracks on just a little box like this. Maybe more likely on the Digitakt, but the M:S isn't exactly a slouch for what it's aimed for.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
So knobby.

I count 18 knobs, 15 of which can be used live. How many does the S:M have? 1,2,3,.. 16, of which 14 can be used live.

Next...
Lives for gear

Is it really one knob per control? I see a lot of shift functions.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim238 ➡️
Is it really one knob per control? I see a lot of shift functions.
The Model:Samples isn't knob per function, the 'Func' button on the left switches to the alternate functions for knobs / buttons. It's just closer than the other Elektron gear with the parameter page model.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_M_R ➡️
The Model:Samples isn't knob per function, the 'Func' button on the left switches to the alternate functions for knobs / buttons. It's just closer than the other Elektron gear with the parameter page model.
While true, it's got a healthy amount of knobs, each with a main function. It's nice to have access to an alternate set too. I suppose it should be called, "More knobs per function, plus alternate functions."
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

Yes. And it’s that combo with the Elektron sequencing that really just hits the spot for me.
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
okay, so then compare the model samples to the electribe then, what is it about the electribe that someone looking for the elektron workflow would want, I've only spent a few moments with the electribe but I didn't get the impression that they were geared towards someone looking for what a model samples would want or am I mistaken?
Old 14th February 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Here's a little beat i made on this lovely machine:
📝 Reply