Lives for gear

And we LIKED it.
Old 24th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fewture ➡️
[...]

The marketing move to limit this to 6 tracks and protect their other products is a shame/bad move - hard to swallow when you know that 2 more tracks shouldn’t be that hard/expensive with 2019 tech and the price they are asking. I would have bought it with 8 tracks.
[...]
To add two tracks you need to add two pads and make the whole thing bigger, which would increase the price.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox ➡️
To add two tracks you need to add two pads and make the whole thing bigger, which would increase the price.
Please that's not how products are designed. The limitations have nothing to do with size or shape.

Specs were designed before the shape of that box. What you say is a complete fallacy. It has only 6 tracks because they decided to limit it to 6 tracks because they deemed that the user should only have access to 6 sounds at that price.

Another thing you forgot to mention is you can have only a single sample PER track, unlike the DT were you can p lock different samples. How are you going to spin this? No space for a sample change knob? Give me a break.

If the specs are a good deal for you, that's great, but let's not pretend it was not purely a marketing decision.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I might get this. Anyone know if it does retrigs and midi cc sequencing? I see sample start is modulateable so that’s cool.

My requirements for such a box are pretty small, already owning a metric fūckton of synths, so I don’t see 6 parts as a limitation.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
When I were a lad we were so poor that even the the rainbows were in black and white.

Still, my dear dad sold our goat and bought a mini moog. It were a great dining table.
Deleted 7ad91e3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➡️
I don't get all the hate. Think of this as a diffusion line. Besides if you have more budget, buy a digitakt. Even more budget, they got you covered with AR/A4/OT.

Don't you guys ever remember being young & poor? I sure do and would have killed for something like this back in those days.

Starving musicians have been complaining for decades that Elektron gear is out of reach & now they've finally reached that under 450 barrier.

Anyways, it seems clear to me Elektron are on a new paradigm of boxes here.. there will be Model:Bass, Model:Synths, Model:Drums etc..

They are hoping to recreate the whole TR/TB craze with some small affordable specialized knob-per-function boxes. Not incredibly innovative but not a bad strategy either IMO.
Exactly...there's quite a bit of discussion out there regarding elektron usability. Menudiving is such a turn off...

This product is definitely filling a gap if it turns out to have a straight forward "live-gig" workflow...so far the demos sound awesome. Its a evolved volca sample. No one is filling that gap at this point in time with new gear...price is absolutely ok...

The target group is clearly minimal tech/house producers. None of em could ask for more in terms of specs shown. If you dont get it done with these features you'll never get it done...

Most of the negative comments are driven by the looks of that box. If it had a "bad-ass" design you'd had raving comments. From a marketing perspective the design makes sense else you'd displease all the digitakt useres who spent more money for more or less the same features.

Reminds me of the raving behringer and boutique fan boys who'd buy into anyhting as long as it's been sold as TR with a appropriate looks.

The last question is yet to be solved...how does it perform in a shootout with some of the iconic samplers out there...

Well done Elektron guys...
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
get off my lawn.... and then get back on it
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 ➡️
They literally just released Mk II of their high end products about a year ago.
You are taking my statement out of context. I said"

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhu ➡️
My frustration with Elektron is that they seem to be ignoring the “higher end of the market” and/or creating a new, groundbreaking halo product that even if you have all the Elektrons, you go WOW - I need that!
Then I stated:

Quote:
while I could definitely see my wife and I picking up a Digitone and an Analog Heat, why would someone who already owns an A4/Analog Keys, Analog Rtym, Octatrack, and the classic Machinedrum and Monomachine, have really any interest in the Digikat or this new box?
I understand if Elektron is releasing more financially accessible products, but I want some cool mind blowing stuff that pushes the envelope.

The MK2 versions of the products are not the same as releasing an entirely new product that gets everybody salivating for something that is fresh, exciting and opens up new sound and performance capabilities.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not aiming this at anyone in particular but there is some real nonsense said in this place.

It is an entry level box for people who don't have the other boxes and can't afford them.
I think it is smart of them and the look of the box is sufficiently different to differentiate it from the rest to the product line.

This isn't Dylan goes electric.
Chill.
Old 24th January 2019
Deleted 60622ed
They brought out out analog heat...they brought out analog heat pedal

The pedal is not a toy, its a pedal

Ohm....ohm....ohm....
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave ➡️
Not aiming this at anyone in particular but there is some real nonsense said in this place.

It is an entry level box for people who don't have the other boxes and can't afford them.
I think it is smart of them and the look of the box is sufficiently different to differentiate it from the rest to the product line.

This isn't Dylan goes electric.
Chill.
Entry level at 399 US?

I'll take that 808 analog clone from Behringer for 299 before this, for obvious reasons.
Lives for gear

Quote:
what the mpc 4000 has a digital out??
Yup. And individual outs, lots of midi, Hard drive support, tank like build quality, a big legible screen, and awesome pads... and it’s from 2002.

We are devolving.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC ➡️
Entry level at 399 US?

I'll take that 808 analog clone from Behringer for 299 before this, for obvious reasons.
Not sure if they are that comparable.
Behringer is a behemoth of a company reworking an old design and doing it cheaper.

The Model:Sample is almost half the price of the Digitakt, from a much smaller company- so yeah, it is an entry level machine for Elektron.

The thing to remember is many people buying the cheap stuff will probably buy both, rather than buy one of the more expensive boxes like the Analog Rytm, which is much more capable, but harder to use.

The current trend for cheap, simple devices isn't one Elektron created- they are just responding to it, because otherwise you've have to spend $750 to get a DT (or quite a bit more for the OT/AR/A4 etc) to get the Elektron sequencer.

I see a lot of people with $5k worth of cheap Roland/Korg/Yamaha boxes.
There is definitely a place for this unit in the marketplace and I reckon they will sell a bucketload of them- not to me, and clearly not to others but the move into this market makes total sense to me.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi ➡️
Yup. And individual outs, lots of midi, Hard drive support, tank like build quality, a big legible screen, and awesome pads... and it’s from 2002.

We are devolving.
They were $3500 though.
In the UK they were £2300- I know because I bought one.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi ➡️

We are devolving.
Wouldn't say we're 'devolving', just hardware serves a different function today for a lot of people. An MPC could serve as a studio centrepiece and today computers do that, as well as offering specs that are above & beyond what any MPC can offer. Not to mention a far better UI for that sort of use.
MPCs weren't exactly cheap and would work out higher in price than any Elektron device today - in an era when that sort of equipment was ubiquitous as well.

Where the Octatrack was innovative was in creating a way to work with loops as part of an instrument and made messing with samples a more hands-on experience for what is, well a drum machine ultimately more than it was ever trying to be a true studio centrepiece (More mobile than anything), as it simply can't compete with the already perfect solution that exists for that.

Drum machines/Grooveboxes have always been crude devices and that's all Elektron products are at the end of the day. Plus Overbridge would be a bit redundant if Elektron gear could replace a DAW.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC ➡️
When I was 'young and poor' I worked my ass off to get the best of the best. I never let price get in the way of quality and I still don't to this day. I was working 3 jobs, 7 days a week for years and I was still recording in multiple studios finishing albums with my crew. I went a week with 1 hour of sleep a night to meet a deadline in getting an album finished. Hard work is the price you pay to get what you want and what you need. I would have never bought this toy at any point in my recording career.

Being a heavy supporter (I own all of their magical musical boxes) this is not what I expected at all. If this is a sign of things to come, then I'm glad I stepped out of their bubble with the best products they ever made, and before their QA started going to ****.
Well you know like i keep saying here, one man's junk is another man's treasure..

Today kids can make a whole album on their laptop & put that grind money elsewhere. Maybe a kid is curious about hardware and this could be a safe gateway.

Also elektron UI isn't for everyone. I've owned MDUW, MNM, OT & AR. I recognize their strengths/value but they are dense units compared to my x0x gear and other desktop units like Tempest. sometimes less is more. I never got along with the nameless encoder paradigm, button combos & menu diving. the whole 'finger dance' isn't my style either. This unit seems to solve a lot of those issues, so personally I appreciate this direction as far as UI.

Finally, elektron isn't claiming this to be a one-stop solution to full music production. It's obviously one within a series and you can always sync it to your rig or resample it to expand. 6 tracks for samples isn't that bad, DT/OT only have 2 more extra. I could even see myself picking one up as a sketchpad/travel unit for that quirky elektron happy accident composition I kinda miss.

Where elektron is dropping the ball IMO is with OB development as I understand it still isn't ready for the DT units & isn't even offered for this new box. I think hybrid is the future and to be able to sync/stream your tracks into your DAW for further mixing/processing is huge. So if anything gave me cold feet it would that..
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesign75 ➡️
holy **** lol
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
so the korg volcas style products, interesting
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Looks like most of them are alternate names for the same thing.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
DigiStrike!

Quote:
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
whoa whoa whoa
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX ➡️
My video mocking Elektron's latest toy was removed from the thread for not being "polite"... sorry, but when customers are lied to and treated with contempt this is what happens.

Here the link to the video for those who want a laugh: (trig warning! :D )

vimeo.com/312960413
That was pretty funny actually.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 60622ed ➡️
When I were a lad all we had for breakfast was a handful of cold gravel.
What, without marshmellos??
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave ➡️

What you may be missing is that is part of the contempt for such "econo-gear" is the immediate reference to those supposed "afflicted".
Who, by really no others' fault than their own, chose not to improve their financial situation by gaining higher wage employment or the education to raise themselves from the drudgery of settling for less.
Get out there and make something of yourselves, ya bums!
It wreaks of defeatism and has no real place in this forum. It's a shame boutique companies have to stoop to this level, but alas, the human condition I suppose.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedSignals ➡️
What you may be missing is that is part of the contempt for such "econo-gear" is the immediate reference to those supposed "afflicted".
Who, by really no others' fault than their own, chose not to improve their financial situation by gaining higher wage employment or the education to raise themselves from the drudgery of settling for less.
Get out there and make something of yourselves, ya bums!
It wreaks of defeatism and has no real place in this forum. It's a shame boutique companies have to stoop to this level, but alas, the human condition I suppose.
lol, spoken like a true ohioan
Old 24th January 2019
Deleted 2915a84
The Digitone was a really nice surprise by Elektron. Something totally new, totally unexpected and that anyone with or without an Elektron could view as a value-add. The Heat is also in this class.

This to me this Model:samples is the first real dud, in this respect. But, as I said before, my guess is that because EVERYONE on the planet bitched about the cost of Elektron boxes, they decided to make something cheaper than anything they've made before. To get that part of the market that doesn't want to lay out $1250-$1600 for the flagship units.

The DIGI series helped a bit but there were still complaints.

Every company has a tiered product line. Entry level, mid market, luxury. Sometimes elite.

I think the way to view this box is as an entry level.

I will say that Elektron does not let down their flagship customers, by and large. All the OS development covers both MKI and MKII models. My RYTM MKI are running the same OS as a MKII etc

I'm still waiting for them to make a new flagship piece that cleverly works with the other three. A piece that will never make you want to sell one of the trinity but will definitely make you want to add to it.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Reading through this thread I have to wonder what is it with this forum.

BMW make many different cars, across the range.

Someone with a 7 series wouldn't say, "Jesus, BMW are making ****ty little cars, it's the end of the line".

Why can't a company make a range of products to cover different customer bases, why do people get upset about this?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
When i saw the picture, i think «* this is the modern sp 1200*» we all hope.

I was disappointed when i saw the specs but it’s a cool move from elektron.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog ➡️
Reading through this thread I have to wonder what is it with this forum.

BMW make many different cars, across the range.

Someone with a 7 series wouldn't say, "Jesus, BMW are making ****ty little cars, it's the end of the line".

Why can't a company make a range of products to cover different customer bases, why do people get upset about this?
Exactly. You have things in base trim, or entry-level, to get people to buy into the brand. When they upgrade eventually, they look to you first. It's smart marketing, even if it doesn't sit well with some people.

On an unrelated note, anyone know if this will be able to play samples chromatically (i.e., hook up a controller and actually play) or is it going to be like the Volca, where it'll only play everything as one-shots? I get the impression it's the former, but I'm not finding much to confirm one way or the other.

ETA: Per Elektronauts, it's monophonic. Oh well.

Last edited by Belldog; 24th January 2019 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: Found answer.
📝 Reply