The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
eSPi 1200 by Low Hiss
Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
like drop sample interpolation
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Maniac

LOL @ people ready to throw cash at a $28 arduino kit inside a shoe box.
Old 12th February 2019
mp3
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's a $28 arduino kit inside a shoe box with analog filters thankyouverymuch...
Old 12th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sense_A ➡️
Lol at you for lol’ing . Lol
Old 13th February 2019 | Show parent
Deleted 9c61fe2
Quote:
Why wouldn't i throw $28 at a $28 arduino ?
I doubt this will ever be more than a personal DIY project for the developer, there is no market for this at a big cost.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It doesn't matter what is used to give the sound AND especially the functionallity and workflow of an SP. If you just want the sound there are other ways to get you close enough to fool many people.
I said it before and I say it again: The SP "sound" is not just the audio but the way you have to deal with the limitations and the workflow. I will pay for a box that gives me the 'hands on' feel and limitations of an SP so I don't have to always think about it and limit myself when making music with a PC and software.
BTW the arduino is a nice board for many applications.

peace
Old 13th February 2019
Quote:
The brain of the unit is the Raspberry Pi, not the Arduino. Not that it really matters though, as both are far more powerful than any of the microcontrollers used in vintage samplers.

Following your flawed logic we should probably "lol" even harder at people throwing $4k at the Z80 that's in the SP, or the 6MHz Intel 80186 in the MPC 60
The $2.2k MPC X uses a pretty similar ARM SoC as the Pi, the $80 (retail, a lot cheaper in bulk) Radxa Rock2 B.

The shoebox is obviously temporary, the case will be folded metal...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Hiss ➡️
The brain of the unit is the Raspberry Pi, not the Arduino. Not that it really matters though, as both are far more powerful than any of the microcontrollers used in vintage samplers.

Following your flawed logic we should probably "lol" even harder at people throwing $4k at the Z80 that's in the SP, or the 6MHz Intel 80186 in the MPC 60
The $2.2k MPC X uses a pretty similar ARM SoC as the Pi, the $80

LOL LOL LOL
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I’ll pay extra for an OG shoe box edition

Great work Low Hiss on progress so far. Any new updates on development ?

I take it this will take eurorack format come completion ?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
@ Low_Hiss

I personally stopped chasing that magic unicorn the SP-1200 "sound".

The sequencers note repeat function/timing is for me the most importatnt feature, I have not found in any other sequencer.

I hope will be fully incorporated in your build.( I think it is ..) no matter
what I have my $28 for the shoebox and arduino brain.

Can I get mine in a PUMA box ? (just kidding obviously)

Thanks !

I really appreciate your work and you have my support once you're ready to launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornish1999 ➡️
I’ll pay extra for an OG shoe box edition

Great work Low Hiss on progress so far. Any new updates on development ?

I take it this will take eurorack format come completion ?
Haha thanks! No the end product will have the form of a drum machine, with a very similar layout to the SP, but smaller & thinner. The pcb design with all the buttons and faders is already in the early stages.

I did post a few updates on Instagram that I haven't posted here:
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
LOL Cornish1999 beat my shoebox post by 4 minutes !
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Haha thanks! No the end product will have the form of a drum machine, with a very similar layout to the SP, but smaller & thinner. The pcb design with all the buttons and faders is already in the early stages.

I did post a few updates on Instagram that I haven't posted here:
Thanks, this is sounding better and better Low Hiss, literally and figuratively !
Old 14th February 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpiper0815 ➡️
It doesn't matter what is used to give the sound AND especially the functionallity and workflow of an SP. If you just want the sound there are other ways to get you close enough to fool many people.
I said it before and I say it again: The SP "sound" is not just the audio but the way you have to deal with the limitations and the workflow. I will pay for a box that gives me the 'hands on' feel and limitations of an SP so I don't have to always think about it and limit myself when making music with a PC and software.
BTW the arduino is a nice board for many applications.

peace
i'll second that. i'd like the workflow of the SP as an alternative to sampling on a laptop.
Old 14th February 2019
Gear Nut

@ Low _Hiss
how did you go about programming the arduino/pi to be a sampler? i don't know anything about how it works but out of curiosity i would like to find out more about making the pi a musical instrument. any key resources you have used online?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBeatman ➡️
@ Low _Hiss
how did you go about programming the arduino/pi to be a sampler? i don't know anything about how it works but out of curiosity i would like to find out more about making the pi a musical instrument. any key resources you have used online?
It's really not that different from programming a software instrument, the main difference is your code responds to physical buttons instead of virtual buttons/mouse clicks.
I'm sure there's a bunch of open source projects that deal with audio or midi on the raspberry pi you could look at.
Gear Nut

Quote:
It's really not that different from programming a software instrument, the main difference is your code responds to physical buttons instead of virtual buttons/mouse clicks.
I'm sure there's a bunch of open source projects that deal with audio or midi on the raspberry pi you could look at.
thanks, i'll have a look around. i know nothing but it is interesting.
Old 22nd February 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:

The $2.2k MPC X uses a pretty similar ARM SoC as the Pi, the $80 (retail, a lot cheaper in bulk) Radxa Rock2 B.

I was just poking fun at people's readiness to throw money at something so premature in design and concept. Nothing malicious about my laughter.

You make valid points. I don't doubt your ability to make it happen. The software programming is a much greater challenge than wiring in tact switches. Although, basing it too much on the software just makes it a plugin with a midi controller. Even so, there's no midi controller and software plugin combo that I know of that closely resembles the SP-1200 in functionality. Hopefully naysayers and challenges fuel your motivation.

Something as simple as an mp3 player (iPod) made Steve Jobs rich. Then he turned the mp3 player into the iPhone and it became the richest corporation in the world.

It's kind of amazing how much power we get in a pocket sized computer in 2019 for just $30 with a raspberry pi or arduino with wires and accessories included.

It would be cool to have an SP-1200 drum machine that is also capable of making analog drum sounds like the TR-808. Or a hybrid of the two. The market demand would be huge for this kind of thing. That's proven by the crazy prices people are willing to pay for a used SP-1200. If I could go back in time I'd trade in one of my business degrees for an electronics engineering degree.

I hope you make me eat my words and regret ever laughing.
Old 26th February 2019
Gear Maniac
better hurry up, looks like behringer is about to join the game

these are just some renderings of course, but the future will tell
Old 26th February 2019
Interesting. I'd like to know more about the source of the image though, I doubt these were leaked from Behringer.
Old 26th February 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Interesting. I'd like to know more about the source of the image though, I doubt these were leaked from Behringer.
Looks like it came from here: MATRIXSYNTH: New Behringer SP-2400 Sampler - E-Mu SP-1200 x 2 Clone In the Works?

the author of that article must have analyzed the rendering and derived this information from looking at it:

Quote:
Active EQ for channels 3-6 (or is it 3 - 5)
filter for channels 1-2
Sampler Input LP AMP
CH 1 Out on the right and CH 8 Out on the top left (8 outs)
Mix Out
Stereo IN followed by MIDI In/Out/Through jacks
Power & USB jacks
Post EQ
Post AMP
FREQ Cutoff 1
Resonance 1
GNDA
FREQ Cutoff 2
Resonance 2
I counted 11 TRS jacks. So the mix out must be one jack?
Old 28th February 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Great project! I had my hands on a new reissue in 1998 but the price tag was a bit scary 1990 USD.

I rather buy this than an Uli rip off.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonefloat ➡️
Great project! I had my hands on a new reissue in 1998 but the price tag was a bit scary 1990 USD.

I rather buy this than an Uli rip off.
A good source (Flux) says the 2400 is not by Behringer nor Akai. It may have been hinted that it may be by Rossum.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't want to interrupt your work low hiss but I got a feature request
FLAC support, please.
peace
Old 2nd March 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpiper0815 ➡️
Don't want to interrupt your work low hiss but I got a feature request
FLAC support, please.
peace
Not a problem, it's already built-in
Old 2nd March 2019
Deleted 9c61fe2
I gotta be honest, now that i know this is gonna be open source, it is pretty much the most exciting thing to happen in the music tech world for me personally, I get GAS for every new bit of kit released, but that wears off after about twenty minutes when i weigh up pretty much every current developers reputation for firmware updates and bug fixes lol.

So hopefully you will be using a standard case design and doing official panels and PCBs etc to make yourself some money Low Hiss ?

I think you could build a huge cottage industry here, especially if you can do a battery mod, the portablism guys (one of which i am) will lose their junk over this.
Especially if you could do a mini cased portable version too, damn.
Old 2nd March 2019
Deleted 9c61fe2
PacTec - Desktop

A mini in this case would be slick, thats the standard desktop case for most builders and is super easy to mount projects, as can be seen here
wilba_mb_6582 [MIDIbox]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle ➡️
I gotta be honest, now that i know this is gonna be open source, it is pretty much the most exciting thing to happen in the music tech world for me personally, I get GAS for every new bit of kit released, but that wears off after about twenty minutes when i weigh up pretty much every current developers reputation for firmware updates and bug fixes lol.

So hopefully you will be using a standard case design and doing official panels and PCBs etc to make yourself some money Low Hiss ?

I think you could build a huge cottage industry here, especially if you can do a battery mod, the portablism guys (one of which i am) will lose their junk over this.
Especially if you could do a mini cased portable version too, damn.
Thank you, glad you understand the vision behind making it open source. It's something that really lacks in the music hardware & software industry, and if people like JJ managed to do what he did with the MPC 1000 and 2500 OS through reverse engineering, just imagine what could come out with something open and well documented.

I will most likely offer fully assembled units as well as diy kits with the pcb, enclosure and components.
It can already be portable and run on battery, it takes micro USB for power so you can use basically any smartphone powerbank.

An early cardboard enclosure for the prototype is in the works right now, that'll give you guys a better idea of what a final unit may look like. Think SP but smaller basically.
Deleted 9c61fe2
Quote:
Thank you, glad you understand the vision behind making it open source. It's something that really lacks in the music hardware & software industry, and if people like JJ managed to do what he did with the MPC 1000 and 2500 OS through reverse engineering, just imagine what could come out with something open and well documented.

I will most likely offer fully assembled units as well as diy kits with the pcb, enclosure and components.
It can already be portable and run on battery, it takes micro USB for power so you can use basically any smartphone powerbank.

An early cardboard enclosure for the prototype is in the works right now, that'll give you guys a better idea of what a final unit may look like. Think SP but smaller basically.
I would definitely consider one of the premade enclosures like the pactec i linked as standard, it lowers the price heavily when all you need to manufacture is two flat panels, one for the face, and one for the rear.
mp3
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
JJ didn’t reverse engineer the MPC firmware. He’s the guy who originally coded it.
📝 Reply