Quantcast
aggressive/dirty and vibey synth suggestions please - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
aggressive/dirty and vibey synth suggestions please
Old 15th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
aggressive/dirty and vibey synth suggestions please

I am looking for a synth/module mainly for loops and sequences and for hands on knob turning to create sound effects, landscapes and textures. I would also like a unit that I can run audio into and manipulate in real time. Looking for a unit that is aggressive/dirty and vibey. I don't want to go down the eurorack road so I am trying to find one or 2 units to get me close.

thanks for any suggestions
Old 15th January 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
So....confused.....you've posted in the modular forum. Are you looking for a small number of modular modules that do what you want, or not looking for anything modular at all?
I don't think there is one module (modular) that does everything you want. Although there are I'm sure stand alone units (hardwired) that do most of what you want.
Old 15th January 2019

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Agressive and dirty?
The Manther comes to mind for agressiveness, but I didn't keep track on it's development.

As for real time manipulation of sound; A modular synth could work very well there, because the filters, effects are seperate, and the controls accessible.
There are many agressive and vibey modules available. You'll have to invest time to research in putting this together, but the end result can be rewarding.
But maybe you'd be better served with a groovebox type sampler. Perhaps a Pioneer Toraiz or an MPC Live? Or the Korg Electribe Sampler 2?

But yes, I share Chrisso's confusion: If you're not looking to go into modular, perhaps I better move this thread to the main forum?
Old 15th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sorry for the confusion on my post/forum! I was thinking something in the vein of a Moog sub 37 with that kind of feel and real time immediacy while locked to the daw! I love the Eurorack concept but was looking for the easy way out at the moment.

Not sure how to move this thread so Feel free to get it out of here and thanks for the reply's.

Last edited by sdd17; 15th January 2019 at 02:04 PM..
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So you want Loops, Sequences, Sound effects, Landscapes and textures, run audio into it mangle realtime, aggressive/dirty/vibey.

Not sure theres a single unit on the market that does all the above, however a Digitakt may come close.
Old 28th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek ➡️
So you want Loops, Sequences, Sound effects, Landscapes and textures, run audio into it mangle realtime, aggressive/dirty/vibey.

Not sure theres a single unit on the market that does all the above, however a Digitakt may come close.
My thought as well. Sounds like he wants an Elektron box of some sort.
Old 7th February 2019

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
< thread moved >
Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear

Dave Smith Evolver, and a Sherman Filterbank 2.
Old 7th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd17 ➡️
Sorry for the confusion on my post/forum! I was thinking something in the vein of a Moog sub 37 with that kind of feel and real time immediacy while locked to the daw! I love the Eurorack concept but was looking for the easy way out at the moment.

Not sure how to move this thread so Feel free to get it out of here and thanks for the reply's.
I think your mention of loops and sequences may have confused people about what sort of device you are looking for. Does it need to support the playback of loops, or, as I kind of suspect, are you just taking about turning sounds and music you make with it into loops that are played by something else?

Regarding manipulating audio input, there are a few things to watch out for in this area. Generally speaking synths with audio in may let you run that audio through the filter, and any effects the synth may have, and you probably also get some opportunities to drive the signal at some stage (or more than one stage if you are lucky). So you will need to look at whether a particular synth with audio in has a filter and effects that do the sort of thing to the sound you want. And be careful to check whether the audio input on the synth is mono or stereo, and the other places in the synth where stereo information may be lost or added. Also whether the audio input can be made always active or whether it goes through the same amp that is activated by notes being played on the synth, whether there is any way round this on that synth if required.

So many other factors that will help narrow the choices for you. Budget, amount of physical space available, does it need to be a proper polyphonic synth? Rather than go through all that I will just pick one particular sort of contender for 'modular alternative', the Arturia MatrixBrute, and you can, if you like, go and investigate it and then let us know in which ways this synth seems suitable for you and in which ways it does not.
Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Vsynth
Nord Modular
Octatrack

Stuff like that
Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear

You want a DSI Pro-2! It’s somewhat similar in concept to the Sub 37 but has much more modulation possibilities and a more advanced step sequencer. It’s not inherently warm as the Moog but is still a bass monster, and easily gives you extremely aggressive and complex sounds.

I posted this clip in the Pro-2 thread recently to show what you can do with the step sequencer:

I think it ticks all the boxes, it is very hands on but still complex enough to be comparable to a modular synth. It can also work well together with eurorack since it has both cv ins and outs.
Old 7th February 2019
Gear Maniac

MS-20
Most anything from Analogue Solutions
Most anything from Metasonix
Old 7th February 2019
DSI Mopho x4:

Its two aggressive sub-octave oscillators + feedback circuit, combined, deliver a good amount of dirt. Full-sized 44-key keybed with aftertouch. Searing, razor-ey P08/Rev2 Curtis filter. True, all-analog signal-path. All the fun of a good mono, but with four-voice polyphony and an excellent build and keybed.

Unfortunately, the x4 lacks an audio input. Also, the built-in sequencer, though serviceable, isn't as user-friendly as say the JD-Xi's. Still, it's my go-to synth for quick and dirty bass lines (sub-oscs and feedback really perform here), great-sounding fake brass, fake strings, and searing leads.

Although similar to the Rev2, I find the x4 a lot more fun to play and crazy sounds seem easier to coax out of it for some reason—presets are quite good ranging from polite to insane. Most surprisingly is that four voices seem totally fine for my needs (e.g., three-note chords plus a bass-note). Versatile and fun—one of my favorite little synths. As low as $750 (used or B-stock).

DSI Mopho x4
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thank you guys for the suggestions

Keep them coming
Old 8th February 2019
Deleted 13e7993
M-Audio Venom.

Cons: Not that knobby. Software issues.

Pros: Ticks lots of your boxes. Very affordable. Audio in. Great drums. Multi timbral. Tone is awesome to me, like a dystopian nightmare of cybernetic terror.

Last edited by Deleted 13e7993; 8th February 2019 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 8th February 2019
Also, though I've never played a Korg MS-20, its supposedly the king of "dirt." I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing an MS-20M B-stock kit that Sweetwater still had in stock for some reason last year.
Old 8th February 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd17 ➡️
I am looking for a synth/module mainly for loops and sequences and for hands on knob turning to create sound effects, landscapes and textures. I would also like a unit that I can run audio into and manipulate in real time. Looking for a unit that is aggressive/dirty and vibey. I don't want to go down the eurorack road so I am trying to find one or 2 units to get me close.

thanks for any suggestions
grab an elektron a4, seriously

that or octatrack

done
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Put it through the Tube Screamer or SD-1 and everything will become aggressive and dirty.

BTW There was a similar thread with many good dirty sound examples.
Don't remember the title.
Found it:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...ight=rude+evil
Old 8th February 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
title doesn't match said requirements in OP - perhaps change title or OP to suit?
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I mean a Korg Monologue and a Bass Station II are cheap and get pretty dirty and interesting.
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thanks everyone, great suggestions
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why not an original Minibrute? More dirt and cr*p than you'll ever need, and pretty cheap.

Old 9th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis ➡️
Why not an original Minibrute? More dirt and cr*p than you'll ever need, and pretty cheap.

Wow! very nice!
Old 11th February 2019
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Lyra-8

SOMA Labs' Lyra-8 seems to tick your boxes. Not a module, but apart from that, it's pretty unique. Makes the most amazing sounds.. I've got nothing in my arsenal that comes close. Possible big downside: it cannot be played in a conventional chromatic/fixed notes manner (OK, it can, but it's pretty hard and goes against the philosophy of the unit).
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

Hypersynth Xenophone
Boomstar 2600 MK1
Dominion Club (if you can hack foibles)
Dreadbox NYX
Moog DFAM (+ Arturia keystep)
Korg Monologue (gnarly sequencer)

Old 11th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
grab an elektron a4, seriously

done
This !!! Search is over

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 11th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k ➡️
Wow! very nice!
the minibrute is dirty. the minibrute 2s is still a lot of dirty ... just what affects the envelopes .. even the FM makes neat dirt ..
I have both
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This thread has a lot of good info
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Se02 for mono.
106 for poly.
Both filthy.
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Polivoks! I'm so getting one for my next synth.
📝 Reply