Quantcast
Shockingly rubbish customer service from Native Instruments - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shockingly rubbish customer service from Native Instruments
Old 12th January 2019
Gear Nut

Shockingly rubbish customer service from Native Instruments

Has anyone else got some experience with NI customer service? I’ve opened a ticket last Saturday and I’ve not got even so much as an acknowledgement so far (full seven days later). And I’m a Komplete Ultimate customer as well. And this isn’t the first time this has happened to me. I opened a ticket with them about setting up Kontakt for multi-output in Pro Tools a few years back and I never got any sort of a reply.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

I think it’s time perhaps we start enumerating in order to force vendors to some sort of semblance of accountability no? I want to fight back against this. It seems like there are companies that just take our money and then proceed to take the piss. It’s outrageous. And we just take it.

Anyone else want to brainstorm how to hit back against this?
Old 12th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by geocities ➡️
Yeah, i think they suck. Bunch of lethargic droops that try to find excuses for not helping you.
I had a similar experience with Waldorf support.
Maybe it's a german thing?
Old 12th January 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Shockingly poor in my experience. Have abandoned NI as a result.
Old 12th January 2019
Lives for gear

Ditto Bose, like a 6 week gap between a response and then a follow up x2 . 3 months to not resolve an issue
Old 12th January 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer ➡️
The people from Ableton are helpful. I've heard a lot of negative things about NI's customer support over the years
Old 12th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager 1 ➡️
The people from Ableton are helpful. I've heard a lot of negative things about NI's customer support over the years
Aah well, i guess it's just the few companies that have bad support.
Old 12th January 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Absolutely terrible customer service, they try to steer everyone to the forum and have us help each other instead of providing real tech support. So we are doing their job and not getting paid....
Old 12th January 2019
Deleted c727f99
Quote:
Has anyone else got some experience with NI customer service? I’ve opened a ticket last Saturday and I’ve not got even so much as an acknowledgement so far (full seven days later). And I’m a Komplete Ultimate customer as well. And this isn’t the first time this has happened to me. I opened a ticket with them about setting up Kontakt for multi-output in Pro Tools a few years back and I never got any sort of a reply.

I think it’s time perhaps we start enumerating in order to force vendors to some sort of semblance of accountability no? I want to fight back against this. It seems like there are companies that just take our money and then proceed to take the piss. It’s outrageous. And we just take it.

Personally I’ve never had any problems, tho most of my enquires have been about serials and transfers .
Not 100% but Its probably slow as people are on Xmas holiday , and they don’t work weekends anyway.
the best place to get support for setting up software and hardware is the forum .
What issue are you trying to resolve
Old 12th January 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Another totally dissatisfied NI user.

Once they refused to help me because they said my computer's OS was now considered outdated for my version of Absynth. Their suggestion: update the OS and buy the new version of Absynth ($79).

I soon figured out the problem myself...Absynth had somehow forgotten the path to all the factory library content (all third party libraries still worked, ha ha) and just needed to have the path provided again. In the time it took to email me that they could do nothing they could have suggested checking the default paths. I then continued to use Absynth with "unsupported" OSes for another 5 years.

They also orphaned Kore, which I was using at the time. They will never see another penny of my money.
Old 12th January 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
contrary to the above sentiment i have always been happy with what they give me when i have needed it - always a 24-48 hour initial response time and ticket progress daily so long as comms are kept polite and prompt, i have been with them since the 90's so my experience is pretty far reaching.

bad to read when people suffer crap service - there is no need or place for it, I often wonder why though when my experience is so different.
Old 12th January 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:

sell your stuff and make them aware why via email, forum and all social media platforms including attachments and detailing any and all comms you sent for no reply with dates etc - talk with the wallet.
Old 12th January 2019
Deleted c205829
These days, I am more shocked by good customer service. Few and far between.
Old 12th January 2019
Aml
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I have purchased multiple products from them, and when I had an issue with a Maschine mk1 that was given to me with the serial number by the owner, they refused to help me with it and then ignored every email I ever sent them. I will NEVER buy another NI product ever again.
Old 12th January 2019
Deleted 13e7993
NI products are AWESOME when they work. Their service SUCKS when they don't, or if you just have questions.
Old 12th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Weekends don’t count in customer support, nobody is working in non-critical applications...
Old 13th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight ➡️
Weekends don’t count in customer support, nobody is working in non-critical applications...
Ok but they’ve had over 7 days now to reply. 5 of them business days. In the case of my only other ticket they’ve had over 2 years to reply. Let me say that again, 2 years! So facepalm all you want but I think they’ve had ample time (even after you exclude weekends). In both cases.
Old 13th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'd like to add a word of caution regarding their hardware controllers (the Komplete Kontrol series but might apply to other hardware I don't know). It seems the Komplete Kontrol line come encumbered with the same license transfer process as their software. If you want that NKS functionality they advertise you'll have to get the previous owner to initiate a license transfer process. And also get them to include whatever software shipped with the keyboard because NI are not forthcoming with binaries related to this. Or at least I haven't been able to figure that out yet (even after the license transfer I still can't find the binary in my native access app). Reading through some of their info pages they say the user forfeits whatever software was bundled with the Komplete Kontrol keyboard when they sell the keyboard but I don't know how they enforce this; if at all. So just be careful. You might end up walking into a situation you weren't expecting. I.e. hoping to get the benefit of NKS only to find you're stuck with just another controller that has no NKS support. If you ask me I find the whole thing appalling. Hardware license transfers etc etc. But this is how they roll it seems. I won't be investing into their products any longer. And yeah their support is pretty much non-existent. That's my two cents.
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer ➡️
Yeah, i think they suck. Bunch of lethargic droops that try to find excuses for not helping you.
I had a similar experience with Waldorf support.
Can't be a German thing. I emailed Ferrofish a question about their A32 and got a really helpful, friendly response from the owner of the company within 24 hours. I wish more companies were like them, and RME.
Old 13th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
NI only have support for hardware, if you need software support you have to use the forum for it. So opening a support ticket for software issue is not possible and will be ignored. NI contact page is quite explicit on this as the email address does say not for support requests too.

Topics – Native Instruments
Deleted c727f99
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf ➡️
I'd like to add a word of caution regarding their hardware controllers (the Komplete Kontrol series but might apply to other hardware I don't know). It seems the Komplete Kontrol line come encumbered with the same license transfer process as their software. If you want that NKS functionality they advertise you'll have to get the previous owner to initiate a license transfer process. And also get them to include whatever software shipped with the keyboard because NI are not forthcoming with binaries related to this. Or at least I haven't been able to figure that out yet (even after the license transfer I still can't find the binary in my native access app). Reading through some of their info pages they say the user forfeits whatever software was bundled with the Komplete Kontrol keyboard when they sell the keyboard but I don't know how they enforce this; if at all. So just be careful. You might end up walking into a situation you weren't expecting. I.e. hoping to get the benefit of NKS only to find you're stuck with just another controller that has no NKS support. If you ask me I find the whole thing appalling. Hardware license transfers etc etc. But this is how they roll it seems. I won't be investing into their products any longer. And yeah their support is pretty much non-existent. That's my two cents.
This is only a problem if you buy second hand , and like you say the old owner doesn’t transfer the hardware license, which generates the kk software and komplete select serials when you register it in native access, if you already own komplete 9 and above then you get the kk software in that , so not that much of an issue if you are buying second hand in that scenario.
Regarding The forfeiture of the license ,I don’t know 100% how they enforce this , other than the hardware serial , which is linked to the user account,via native access and generates the software serials for the available software, I think you have to prove your purchase via photo of serial, receipt of purchase, eBay listing etc , then they look into it for you, obviously they have to do some checks as it would be open to abuse.

Before Native access was created you had service center and you couldn’t register hardware in that ,
So you had serials for hardware and multiple software depending on what you brought and what came with it , you would have to register hardware via your native online account and the software via service centre, tbh a lot of people probably didn’t realise you could register the hardware, I didn’t, only found out 6 months after I purchased ,when they did an Xmas offer that gave you 7 expansions when you buy a maschine and you register the hardware .
Because of the old system buying second hand controllers was a nightmare as people like to sell and not include the software, because they still want access to it , because the hardware and software serial was not linked as it is today there was probably no way to prove who was entitled to what , leaving a lot of second hand buyers with a controller and no software which you can’t buy .
So the new way is definitely better
What are the binarys your referring to?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf ➡️
When you buy used hardware and used software the company that made that hardware and softwate is not making any money. Why should they give any customer service? You are after all not their customer.

It costs money to hire a staff a provide customer service, money they didn't get from you
Old 13th January 2019
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Looploft - owned by Native Instruments - is another. Theirs is a don’t care, tough luck attitude. You’re the customer, you’re the problem.

Don’t know how they get away with it but they do.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 46dc28f ➡️
Can't be a German thing. I emailed Ferrofish a question about their A32 and got a really helpful, friendly response from the owner of the company within 24 hours. I wish more companies were like them, and RME.
U-he is one of the best companies I've ever dealt with and Waldorf was one of the worst. I had an issue with Native Access from NI and it was finally resolved but it wasn't smooth or painless from a customer standpoint. I tend to speak with my wallet which is partially why I've never bought a Blofeld.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goony ➡️
NI only have support for hardware, if you need software support you have to use the forum for it. So opening a support ticket for software issue is not possible and will be ignored. NI contact page is quite explicit on this as the email address does say not for support requests too.

Topics – Native Instruments
incorrect - they ask for all HW specs and details along with computer OS etc but NI have helped me out when needed and only on SW issues, i have never had issues with the maschine controller and that is the only HW from them i own.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
incorrect - they ask for all HW specs and details along with computer OS etc but NI have helped me out when needed and only on SW issues, i have never had issues with the maschine controller and that is the only HW from them i own.
They changed the way support works recently, and dont give email support for software anymore, you either have to ring or use the support forum.
Maschine – Native Instruments

and hope it gets answered, I used the old system in past and was much better, and I don't like the way they are doing it now either.

How to report a bug or request assistance | NI Community Forum
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goony ➡️
They changed the way support works recently, and dont give email support for software anymore, you either have to ring or use the support forum.
Maschine – Native Instruments

and hope it gets answered, I used the old system in past and was much better, and I don't like the way they are doing it now either.

How to report a bug or request assistance | NI Community Forum
OH WOW i just clicked through and that is new, was less than a couple of months ago i contacted them from my account page to get a legacy download for maschine and a legacy library

standing corrected goon
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
OH WOW i just clicked through and that is new, was less than a couple of months ago i contacted them from my account page to get a legacy download for maschine and a legacy library

standing corrected goon
No problem
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SussFour ➡️
Looploft - owned by Native Instruments - is another. Theirs is a don’t care, tough luck attitude. You’re the customer, you’re the problem.

Don’t know how they get away with it but they do.
Indeed. Well just read post #21 mate and you'll see how they're getting away with that. Lots of people on here ready to make excuses for vendors.
Old 13th January 2019
Lives for gear

[short rant about how much NI sucks]
Old 14th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike ➡️
When you buy used hardware and used software the company that made that hardware and softwate is not making any money. Why should they give any customer service? You are after all not their customer.

It costs money to hire a staff a provide customer service, money they didn't get from you
Where did you get the impression I wasn't a customer? And that kind of attitude is not productive either. If someone's bought into your eco system, with whatever product, it's obvious they have some interest. Antagonizing a potential customer is the best business model. Everyone knows that. Someone buying used first time around could be turned into a customer down the line. Surely companies understand that. But my objection was more along the lines of tracking hardware and crippling it in terms of functionality (or even just tracking hardware period). In this case NI lock you into registering as a customer even when you buy used. So even if I"m not their customer as you say they force me to register as their customer but then they withhold support. That's an odd pickle.

Like probably a lot of people on here I'm a Komplete customer too though. I have most products they've put out. Have been for a long time now. Contrast that with the fact I bought a bunch of DSI synths used (and bunch new) and always got support regardless. It seems NI are mainly about sales these days at the expense of everything else. Some companies just don't get it I guess. Or don't care.
📝 Reply