Quantcast
Custom Oberheim 8 voice - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Custom Oberheim 8 voice
Old 9th January 2019
Here for the gear

Custom Oberheim 8 voice

I recently got this custom 8 voice set up with black face SEM....anyone else ever seen black before?
Attached Thumbnails
Custom Oberheim 8 voice-32562485-dddc-405f-8978-555a2a28ee70.jpg  
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

Nice! How does it sound?
Old 9th January 2019
Here for the gear

It sounds HUGE
Old 9th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreyboy ➡️
It sounds HUGE
Dude. Amazing. What are you going to put in the box to the left of a keyboard. Clearly, since it was the 70s that was designed for an ashtray.
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool beans! I think I like the look of the black modules better than the usual white. It must sound utterly fantastic too.

Obviously it was some kind of custom build since I don't think Oberheim ever made wood cabinets for them. I'm surprised they didn't put the keyboard control module (the one with the tune and portamento controls) into the gap in the keyboard cabinet, but maybe it was an issue with getting it to fit.

It would be interesting to retrofit some sort of pitch bend and mod wheel to the left of the keyboard, but I don't know how feasible it is to add those into a 4/8 voice.

Last edited by kpatz; 9th January 2019 at 05:45 PM..
Old 11th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looks awesome. I have seen other black modules previously, but they clearly weren't common. The new two voice pro also had a black version that guess was in reference to these old modules (definitely think black looks better even though the "white" is such a SEM attribute).
Old 12th January 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Black Oberheim

What I remember reading is the black face SEMs were an experiment by Oberheim. A series of black face panels were painted but ended up not being used so employees of Oberheim in the day used them to put together their own systems - hence the "custom" deal you have.

Here are a couple others:

Attached Thumbnails
Custom Oberheim 8 voice-oberheim-ob-2voice-black3.jpg   Custom Oberheim 8 voice-oberheim_black_8_voice.jpg  
Old 12th January 2019
Here for the gear

Yes that’s right....i asked Tom about the black, he said they did a couple two voice , one 4 voice and that’s it. My stuff came from an ex employee of Oberheim.
📝 Reply