The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I REALLY miss my Matrix 6...
Old 10th January 2019 | Show parent
Aml
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever ➡️
That's basically a Pro-2 in a nutshell (mono / paraphonic, though).
Yeah, I eyed that one. But shortly after selling the P12, I started buying late 80s and early 90s synths and kind of found a sweet spot with my gear collection.
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
OH Look! GS still has my original Matrix 6 demo.

I’m gonna listen with headphones!

Name the "bad" sounding analog synths...
Old 11th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
After listening to the demo, it sounds a lot nicer and fuller than I remember, I’d completely forgotten a number of those sounds and loved hearing them again, so I believe I will be looking to purchase a Matrix 6 shortly
Old 11th January 2019
Gear Addict

I was hankering for an M6 as well, but saw that they recently shot up in price. Check reverb - people are paying $1200 for these as of recently. No thanks; I'll pass.
Old 13th February 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz ➡️
OH Look! GS still has my original Matrix 6 demo.

I’m gonna listen with headphones!

Name the "bad" sounding analog synths...
damn those are great! would you mind sharing them?!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Lol. I sold it really cheap as it wouldn’t turn on.
That's a sad reason to let something go.

Except my stupid original G3 PowerBook that I just tossed. It wouldn't turn on, which means the PMU board was dead, not worth spending the hour digging it out and replacing it.

But an old, dead power supply might have just been a blown cap or something...
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not got the same extent of mod routings but have you tried the Cheetah MS6? Very similar sound (same chips), i have one, so foggy and dark and distant sounding, fits beautifully in the mix.
Old 13th February 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I really miss a M1000, too. Never had one. But I love how it sounds...

With Kiwitechnics' update it seems you lose the ramp modulators, the tracking generator, and its LFOs don't have the same options that the vanilla M1000 has (vanilla is actually more featured - also envelopes can be triggered by LFO1, not sure I saw that option in Kiwitechnics upgrade manual). So I guess it's about what matters to you the most. I'm not sure
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
OH Look! GS still has my original Matrix 6 demo. Name the bad sounding analog synths...
So nice I played it twice.
Old 4th December 2019
Gear Addict

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Didn't seem worth a new post for this, but just wanted to throw this up here. Had to demonstrate a data visualization thing at work using a simple dataset. Grabbed all sales prices for the 6, 6R, and 1000 from Reverb and threw this together.

Old 4th December 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theJPdude ➡️
I was hankering for an M6 as well, but saw that they recently shot up in price. Check reverb - people are paying $1200 for these as of recently. No thanks; I'll pass.

When I sold mine, I got $200 for it.
That was at its low point though, and they've been rising ever since.

Really though, I missed what I could do with it, more than I did the sound.
I learned on it, and wanting it back was mostly a nostalgia thing.
Old 4th December 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So, how similar do the P12 and Matrix 6 sound? I’d imagine they were quite similar?

Quote:
Not really - but I am going to give the Prophet-12 another go-around in terms of mimicking that PWM-ness.
I bet this didn’t really go well, eh? I’ve been round this block a little and what I’ve gathered is that the 12’s digital oscillators sound profoundly different than a DCO or a VCO. I’m sure there are other factors, but I wasn’t really able to ape my MoPho with the 12 and all demos of the Matrix 6/1000 synths seem very different in another direction. I had hoped that the Prophet 12 would give me a close enough take on a Prophet 08 sound and while it was great in its own way, I couldn’t get what I was looking for. I thought it might be fun to get a 1000 for two reasons. First because I felt it would give more variety from what Sequential is offering and because I’d have that DCO Curtis thing in a single space rack, as I’m space deprived. Ultimately, that seemed to sound very different from both the Prophet 12 and the 08.

Anyway, my point is that if there is something particular that you’re trying to achieve, you should use that tool and stop futz’n around. Life’s too short. I decided that another 08 (probably REV2) is in my future because I miss my Tetras, despite how much I like the Prophet 12. If I could wave a magic wand, the 12 would have the DCOs along side the DSP oscillators and also have the modulation sequencing as well, but we have to live in the world as it is. That said, you also have to be honest about how many micro variants of similar things are important to you.
Old 4th December 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I'd really like a new overlay for my M6 Keyboard. Would look so much better than it currently does
Old 5th December 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
I bet this didn’t really go well, eh? I’ve been round this block a little and what I’ve gathered is that the 12’s digital oscillators sound profoundly different than a DCO or a VCO. I’m sure there are other factors, but I wasn’t really able to ape my MoPho with the 12 and all demos of the Matrix 6/1000 synths seem very different in another direction. I had hoped that the Prophet 12 would give me a close enough take on a Prophet 08 sound and while it was great in its own way, I couldn’t get what I was looking for. I thought it might be fun to get a 1000 for two reasons. First because I felt it would give more variety from what Sequential is offering and because I’d have that DCO Curtis thing in a single space rack, as I’m space deprived. Ultimately, that seemed to sound very different from both the Prophet 12 and the 08.
Interestingly enough, the deep mod matrix of the Prophet-12 covers a multitude of sins, though (if you're striving for accuracy) it is handy to be able to use both oscs 3 and 4 to fill in the gaps, relative to the fundamental tone.

Compare this to the Prophet-6, which gets the tone right but lacks the deep mod matrix, and you can see the rationale for a killer, VCO-based, one-analogue-to-rule-them-all (a la Matrix-12, Andromeda, etc.).
Old 5th December 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➡️
I really miss a M1000, too. Never had one. But I love how it sounds...

With Kiwitechnics' update it seems you lose the ramp modulators, the tracking generator, and its LFOs don't have the same options that the vanilla M1000 has (vanilla is actually more featured - also envelopes can be triggered by LFO1, not sure I saw that option in Kiwitechnics upgrade manual). So I guess it's about what matters to you the most. I'm not sure
In the case of ENV triggers, one can use the Kiwitechnics arpeggiator (and/or the sequencer) with MIDI clock sync (or internal clock, per-patch or global), which is a fair compromise, if not wildly more useful. LFO waveforms are roughly the same (fast random ~ noise), and you get an extra LFO on top of the arp / seq functionality to compensate for the loss of the ramp(s).

But I do understand the reticence as regards losing the Matrix-y features such as you've described, which harken back to a more modular approach (but were never available outside of the Xpander / Matrix series).
Old 6th December 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

It's a shame that ECC / Oberheim never manufactured a twelve-voice DCO powerhouse with stereo panning; ...
They kind of did, if you can swing two units, as they implemented a group mode to polychain two units to 12 voices, or simply use them in a bi-timbral cfg and hard-pan units.

That's what I decided to do anyways... using a Stereoping controller that can handle controlling 2 ((( stereo ))) panned M1000/6R's at the same time. I'm really looking forward to this dual stereo OB 6+6 rack rig, which includes an MKS-80 Super Jupiter rev4 (all analog VCOs) and the Stereoping MKS Programmer shown in the desk hutch section with the V-Synth. The MKS would be one I'd love to have in an 8+8 bi-timbral stereo cfg, maybe with a rev4 and rev5, but at least one unit can still do the 4-voice stereo split thing.

BTW, A company on Reverb, called Turnlab (out of Belgium) is selling these for about $800 new including shipping, where they used to all be over $1000 exclusively through RetroGearShop here in the US. Still expensive, but for a brand spankin new Programmer to control a stereo pair of vintage Matrix synths, with some of its own cool features. it's well worth it for me.

Attached Thumbnails
I REALLY miss my Matrix 6...-synth-desk-racks.jpg  
📝 Reply