Talk me down - Page 8 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Talk me down
Old 19th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle ➡️
Nothing wrong with 5 Mono synths... It was an achievement for me to keep it at 8! Most of the time they're packed away in a bedroom and I'll just use 1-2 at a time. I'm sure you've got somewhere you can safely store them. Big plastic tubs are good for that.
I actually don’t. I have 1/3 the closet in the original room, but this house doesn’t have a lot of space. There’s garage space, but I’d worry about leaving something in a place that gets cold and damp all the time.

As an experiment, I purposely spent the last week with a truncated rig. I put the Pro-2 on the keyboard stand and removed the ATC-Neptune rack, Maschine, Bass Station 2, TS-10 and Tetras. So, I had the Pro-2, 3900, Prophet 6, 002r and Tempest. I have a lot less time per day. I’d say I averaged a half hour per day. I honestly didn’t feel limited in any way, except I missed the ATC-X. It was actually kind of nice to not have all the options and mental clutter.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
I actually don’t. I have 1/3 the closet in the original room, but this house doesn’t have a lot of space. There’s garage space, but I’d worry about leaving something in a place that gets cold and damp all the time.

As an experiment, I purposely spent the last week with a truncated rig. I put the Pro-2 on the keyboard stand and removed the ATC-Neptune rack, Maschine, Bass Station 2, TS-10 and Tetras. So, I had the Pro-2, 3900, Prophet 6, 002r and Tempest. I have a lot less time per day. I’d say I averaged a half hour per day. I honestly didn’t feel limited in any way, except I missed the ATC-X. It was actually kind of nice to not have all the options and mental clutter.
That's why I use the sealed plastic tubs, as humidity and dampness gets really high where I live. It keeps my mind at ease knowing my stuff is dry and free from dirt/dust. But it sounds like you need to purge.

That sounds like a nice setup.
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If you missed the ATC-X in just a week's time, that's a sign that it shouldn't go.
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
I’m editing this post to stop replies that have not taken into account a situation that has changed since the original post. Since then...

Talks with Cinderella have commenced. She’s currently giving my wife a ride to the train station. She has been conscripted into becoming a productive part of the household. I’m a lot happier about that situation. Now I just have to have the awkward conversation that’s me teaching her how to recycle and how to clean out the sink after rinsing off your plates.

I’ve made (temporary) peace with the new location. It’s actually really nice and cozy now that I have a proper lamp. I will also need to replace the wire rack shelf’s with a desk, and buy a rug. (To tie the room together and dampen reflections)

I had a nice long music session. Much of my initial anger (maybe almost all?) was about spending my vacation time on this. That’s water under the bridge, but anything beyond some cable ties will wait until my schedule changes. I got some nice comfortable headphones and that makes a world of difference.

I might do some additional pruning, but nothing drastic.
You need two large lava lamps to tell everyone in the house by mesmerism, that the music set up is a peaceful area that deserves respect...
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 ➡️
well i'm thinking, are we heading towards gear, and a studio, that can fit
entirely into a few plastic tubs that can be stashed in the cupboard ?
it's a liberating thought.
rack units and huge ABS cases .. : - /
really have to sort through all my crap today. you know how you accumulate
little peripheral 'possibly useful' things, that are great, maybe cost nothing,
but ultimately take up space, in boxes, on shelves, and you think 'f***, why
can i not have this funky junk?'
and at some point, that's, like, a cubic metre, just doing nothing...
but why not? that guy's got some massive console !
- so you have to be forever on some ergonomic 'purge', where everything is
justified. i have a superb collection of blank rack panels that i've picked
up over the years. what for.. and all sorts of other bits and bobs i will suddenly
go noooo when i realise i forgot i needed it for xyz 'project' (...)

Exactly. I’m fully guilty of this to some degree. I’ve got two Rubbermaid drawer storage things that are filled with cables and random power supplies for mystery gear.

I once said, “eBay is my closet.” Nothing I have is super rare or irreplaceable. 10 years ago, I put my TS-10 in that closet and last December, there it was. I swear it was the same one I sold. (I remember a small scratch I made)

Is money spent in the buy-sell cycle? Yup, but sometimes money is made. Storage units cost money, and I can go to Zillow and see the rental per square foot costs for this house.

I’m acutely aware that I have two hobbies. One is playing music. This could be done with a guitar, midi controller, audio interface and computer. The other hobby is collecting synths. This can be infinite. Of course, there’s a sweet spot in the middle that is different for each person, and that can vary during one’s life. Once I did everything (but guitars) with the previously mentioned TS-10.

My goal now is to fit it all on an “L” shaped desk and a few shelves. I think that’s pretty doable.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
but wdf do you (does one) when it comes time to head off travelling for
6 months? aah... this is why storage volume is important.

somebody said to me today, "oh well just sell it all..." - that conversation
ended sort of abruptly

i'm feeling quite good about the mini gear situation and my rack is down to
8U (-ish lol) so that's ok.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arglebargle ➡️
If you missed the ATC-X in just a week's time, that's a sign that it shouldn't go.
True. That’s how I’m approaching this whole process. However, I just bought a Dominion 1 which I’ve wanted for a long time and will replace the Bass Station 2 and Neptune 2. That will let me put my audio interfaces in the rack with the ATC. I Think that when I have a VCO based mono with a similar amount of modulation abilities, the ATC will become expendable.

Even though I just got it, I think the TS-10 should also go and the Pro 2 should live in that spot. Do I really need poly at and a Rise? That’ll make the Pro 2 more accessible (now using the Soundtower plugin).

I’m in no rush to get this done, but I’m hoping by April it’s sorted out.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
you haven't even got the desk yet, and you have nowhere to put the Dom1
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 ➡️
you haven't even got the desk yet, and you have nowhere to put the Dom1
It’s all figured out. The Pro 2 and 3900 are going where the TS-10 is and the Dominion will go where the BS2 is and the Tempest will take the space of the Maschine.

Oh, and while I don’t have the desk, I do have a desk that will work in the short term.
📝 Reply