Talk me down
Old 9th January 2019
Deleted 60622ed
I watch a lot of shows on the murder channel...pm me
Old 9th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
For me, it is far more “manly” to suck it up, a bit, than to become some ridged dictator who has to get their way. Of course, there’s a balance to everything, but I think we too often conflate compromise with weakness.
Ironic avatar. WWRD?
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
San Francisco where the women are women and the men are nervous...
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Move to southern California and build a wall of synths.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamatsni ➡️
Ironic avatar. WWRD?
Rick’s lab is in the garage.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
have you noticed you have a new alter ego on this forum?
you've been cloned !

latest posts >
Is vintage gear still worth the high prices ..?
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

Dont sell any of it, embrace it, own it. If anyone complains then gently remind them that if you hadnt had your spare room taken away from you then it wouldnt be there in the first place.
Old 9th January 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I finally learned how to spell Nebuchadnezzar.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A solution might be indeed, if you intend to buy instead of renting, to buy a place where you can build, maintain, your studio (like a room in the garden instead or in additon to a garage) and to focus to only get a place that offer this kind of facilities.

My studio is separated from the rest of the house. It's a much better solution, and it helps to concentrate and be productive. Also fixing such a goal generates hope and energy to reach it, and this magic combo will very probbaly drive you away from your current mood and frustration. Imho.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowthrough ➡️
You are already being an Adult by practicing gratefulness for what you have (& it is nice stuff!) and recognizing the temporaryness (wrong word- need synonym) of the situation.

For the paired down, minimal setup- might I suggest checking out "Tidying Up with Marie Kondo" on Netflix and applying her metric to your studio gear?
"Does it bring you Joy?", "Do I want to take this with me into the future?" ~ just a thought
My better half is also threatening a bit of this Marie Kondo business.... [Quakes with fear]
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie ➡️
Just shave your head - you are a Monkey getting ready to be shot into space...
I have never read wiser words on gearslutz. Words to live by..

but with long hair....
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz ➡️
I finally learned how to spell Nebuchadnezzar.
Oh, I had to do a web search to get the spelling, so I’m right there with you.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes ➡️
I have never read wiser words on gearslutz. Words to live by..

but with long hair....
I’m just mad that he gets to be Brad and I have to be Ed.
WDM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This isn't about having space, it's about moving from a private(ish) space into a public space. (dinning room) I've just got a gap between the kind of visual clutter I don't mind at all in a spare room and the kind of visual clutter that's in a place where we eat and entertain. It's really a small problem that exists inside my little head.
The visual clutter would be the last one my list.
The thing is, you never have enough space with keyboards and all that music stuff... It always takes time to setup something, work with it, and put it back in order. And, if someone else just gets into your private space... to live temporarily, that makes it several times harder.

But... stay positive. It's not the worst situation in the world.
I mean ... the young woman wants to live in your cave... hell yea... be my guest...

What talents she has besides being nice? Can she sing? Play instruments? Write lyrics? Involve her with your music? If not, show her how the vacuum cleaner works... I mean really.. help her to start her own life. Not at work, at home. May be she will be some kind of inspiration for you too. Collaborate with her on something. Show your interest... Let's see how long that lasts...
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 7a792f4 ➡️
...recognizing the temporaryness (wrong word- need synonym) of the situation.
You’re looking for “ephemerality.”

...and you’re right. Nothing lasts forever. Not even the earth and sky, though they’re pretty long lived. My tantrum didn’t last that long either.

I looked at my crazy little setup, and I realize that even if I went pretty minimal, it still wouldn’t ever look great. If you notice, all the beautiful studio photos are always devoid of cables. I’m not going 100% ITB, so that’s that.

An IKEA PAX solution would also look like... well, big blocks of IKEA. My space is also in a corner and there’s a console right there that we use for storage. Doors that swing out as far as they’d need to on a cabinet that big wouldn’t work. I suggested room dividers, but they seem to be mostly ugly and my wife hates the idea.

Building a structure on the property is out of the question, and a garage set up would take a monumental effort to clear out junk, and in the end I don’t want to have my setup next to a car.

Cinderella got a talking to, and she already seems to be stepping up a bit. We’ll see if it lasts, but my guess is she’s here until we move or gets married. Both of those things seem like they’re years off, and if we do move to a two bedroom, I’ll be in this same spot. Hopefully, we’ll be able to snag a place that’s got a room for me, but if not, then I will do a massive pare down.

So, I’m owning it. There it is. Ultimately, that’s me, or at least some form that my mind chooses to express itself. It’s currently next to a craft desk/shelf system that I got my daughter for Christmas. It came missing hardware, so I’ve yet to move it to it’s final destination. She’s got a pink and blue sleeping bag affixed to it and she’s made it into a little club house where she does her music (so far, mashing on a flexible rubber toy keyboard while she looks at her Frozen song book and belts it out like only a 5 year old girl can.) She’s imitating me. That made me feel good. Perhaps putting it in the middle of our living space is the best way to say, “this is what people do.”

It’s clutter. We are people who clutter. I don’t think a Netflix show will save us. It is the way of our people. If it irritates my wife, maybe it’ll produce some sort of “pearl.” My guess is, we’ll be used to it in a few months, just like we’re used to the piles of toys, art supplies and other random stuff that we accumulate. We’re no where near “Hoarders” status, but the dream of a Don Draiper mid-century modern living space is one that we will probably never realize.

*Side note: I think I will actually sell the Tetras. They are generating a ton of cabling for a synth that’s being used as a single instrument. I’ve still got the modulation sequencing in my Pro 2, 002 and in software instruments like Oxium. With owning a Tempest, it really is redundant and, as much as I love it, probably a painless way to do a lot of decluttering.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM ➡️
The visual clutter would be the last one my list.
The thing is, you never have enough space with keyboards and all that music stuff... It always takes time to setup something, work with it, and put it back in order. And, if someone else just gets into your private space... to live temporarily, that makes it several times harder.

But... stay positive. It's not the worst situation in the world.
I mean ... the young woman wants to live in your cave... hell yea... be my guest...

What talents she has besides being nice? Can she sing? Play instruments? Write lyrics? Involve her with your music? If not, show her how the vacuum cleaner works... I mean really.. help her to start her own life. Not at work, at home. May be she will be some kind of inspiration for you too. Collaborate with her on something. Show your interest... Let's see how long that lasts...
Yeah... what’s up with that? I got everything back together, and now it seems like the Tempest is no longer responding to aftertouch. Not from the TS-10, not from the BS2. Everything else is fine. I took pretty good care to make sure the setup made it down the flight of stairs as it was. Maybe it’s not in the same USB port... but why would that change anything?
Deleted c74c961
Quote:
What’s bothering me is the visual clutter.
sympathy fading...

Quote:
We spend a lot of time in that room. It’s a beautiful room with a panoramic view of the SF Bay. I’m actually happy to be able to look out the windows while I’m working, and it’s off the street too.
sympathy gone
Gear Addict

Quote:
Rick’s lab is in the garage.
Right, and it's not even his house. You need to stop being such a Jerry.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Right, and it's not even his house. You need to stop being such a Jerry.
You miss the point of why Rick is a great character. Rick could theoretically live in a palace full of clones designed to provide him with every possible pleasure. Instead he’s in a spare bedroom in his daughter’s house with his workshop in the garage. Who’s more the “Jerry?” The Jerry, or the Jerry that lives under Jerry’s roof? Rick chooses family, and all its issues and limitations. Rick uses a Yamaha CS1X to “Get Schwifty,” when clearly he could build the ultimate analog-digital-biotech-quantum computer based studio. Maybe even a Moog System 55 from a dimension where they sell for $36.

My setup is way better than Ricks, and I don’t even have to spend the day as a pickle. Ever.
Gear Addict

ok jerry
Old 10th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I find it odd how people tend to fight a fight they want to fight, instead of accessing the situation at hand. While there’s no 625 square foot room here that’s solely for my man cave, I think you would find few people who call a 3 bd, 2.5 bath, 2000 square foot split level a “shoebox.”

Also, I’m working on one of the top selling FPS games of all time. My wife works for a software company that’s rated as the best place to work in the U.S. That’s not going to happen in Idaho. Those jobs are in this area. Is it all sunshine and rainbows? No, but I’ve lived in the country, and that has its own issues, like where do you work? My daughter also has access to incredible schools, museums (our airport is officially designated as a museum), hell, even just the cultural diversity is off the hook here. Her best friends are Spanish, Indian, Korean and Chinese. I love that. I can also get Burmese food as easily as my family got pizza in the NJ suburbs. (Oddly, the pizza here is hit and miss...)

There is a long term plan to get out of this area. I’m skeptical, though, because we seem to be riding this tech wave pretty well and we’ve made some good friends here. We’d probably have to retire or find a place that will make use of our fairly specialized skills. One thing we don’t want is a “Green Acres” type situation. I get allergic smelling hay!
A lot of my distant family work in the Bay Area but commute from the Sacramento area actually. You can have twice the house there for the same money you are paying over your way.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 ➡️
A lot of my distant family work in the Bay Area but commute from the Sacramento area actually. You can have twice the house there for the same money you are paying over your way.
You only save that money if you consider your time to be of no value.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
ok jerry
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
@ Zero Crossing , this is my set up on my living room, the bookshelves were made to fit the monitors, and while not ideal it is comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
Talk me down-img_20190109_193756-1-.jpg  
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser ➡️
Pro 2, a Tetra and the Tempest
You've obviously never heard the SE ATC or the Modal

DSI stuff is mostly subpar at best
Gear Addict

Quote:
Rick chooses family, and all its issues and limitations.
You don't have a space of your own in your own home. Rick on the other hand has taken over the entire garage in another man's house where he's an unwanted house guest.

You view Rick as some kind of noble family man, which should tell you that you can be there for your family while still standing up for yourself, setting boundaries, and getting the space you need. You're just making a bunch of Jerry-style "nice guy" justifications for letting people walk all over you.
Old 11th January 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Come on down from there.
Old 11th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I’m just mad that he gets to be Brad and I have to be Ed.
Don't worry - I'll offer to let you finish her off while taking off my rubber gloves.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You only save that money if you consider your time to be of no value.
Trust me, I agree with you there. My time is very precious to me, but evidentially they find the time sacrifice worth it to them in order to live how they do.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by login ➡️
@ Zero Crossing , this is my set up on my living room, the bookshelves were made to fit the monitors, and while not ideal it is comfortable.
Yeah, but you’ve got very little gear there. That’s not a slight, but I could make a nice, attractive setup with a single keyboard and a computer.

I figured out a little work around. I bought the orange chair from Silicon Valley. Now everything is perfect.
📝 Reply