Quantcast
Talk me down - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Talk me down
Old 8th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think this...

I have had three "temporary" roommate friends i offered to help out in times of need..

One had no money for rent but cooked, cleaned, helped with yard work and paid whatever she could, usually in food or household goods, whenever she could to help out... she ended up staying for 3 years as it simply worked.. it made my life easier and saved me money, time and effort.

The other two out of the three were total freeloaders who never offered to help with anything, not pay for food, not cook or clean, not even their fair share (half) of tidy up etc.. They were both asked to leave.. 3-4wks is the timeframe to see a trend...and once you ask..pick a time (say 3-4wks) and stick to it.

I had some concern about asking them to leave but,
a) I realised I had helped someone out and bought them time to sort themselves so my conscience should be clear
b) We were not dating (or anything else) simply friends.
c) Everyone needs to take responsibility for their life...i had given a helping had.

In both cases they "had nowhere to go" but in both cases, mysteriously when they left, they had somewhere to go.

In the meantime (pick ONE SOLID MONTH) they are still there, I also agree with the idea to pull out one single synth (or VST) and dive deep into it with sound design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitdough ➡️
Definitely discuss boundaries, in terms of time as well as space - establish a specific date for your lodger to move out by, with milestones to check on the way. Be nice - it's entirely possible she is uncomfortable too, being in someone else's space, and you can set these goals together. Of course, it's up to her to take the necessary steps. But you definitely don't want this less-than-ideal situation to become the new normal, with an indefinite duration for her stay.

In the interim, I personally would do a deep dive on an instrument I just got, or never fully explored.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unease ➡️
I use a hacked Ikea Björnholmen to get all the cable mess into one cupboard that can be closed so that it all look neat and tidy when it is not used. I have a desk with a PC and studio monitors right beside it at 90 degrees angle so I can easily switch bewteen playing and messing ITB.

Since the picture was taken the Virus has been sold and replaced by a Kurzweil PC3k6 as the main keyboard and I also got a DSI Pro-2, which I plan to squeeze in there by moving the Pro-One a bit upwards.

In general I think it is often a good thing, for me, to keep the setup simple and not add to many synths since it tends to be distracting. If I were you I would select a small number of synths to keep in your studio corner for active use and then store the other ones somewhere and then see how much you miss those. In my experience I don't miss the things I have sold as much as I feared I would do!
Yeah, that would work, though they don’t make it anymore... at least not in the American market. Maybe I’ll take a trip there this weekend. There seems to be some wardrobe type things that might work... though I’d want something with a shelf that extends out... not sure how you’d rig that. I’m also thinking of maybe just a room divider. That way I could put some acoustic panels on one side of it as well.
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear

I guess you will still have some desk with computer etc? Then maybe you can fix a sliding shelf under it for a full 5-oct synth and then fit everything else into a 1m wide PAX. The Pro-2 and Basstation will fit in such a cupboard.
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear

31 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
That sucks man. Don’t ditch your equipment to accomodate someone that is temporarily in your life. You deserve your man cave. no need to justify it to yourself. Can you sell the millennial or sign her unknowingly up to the navy?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 ➡️
I think this...

I have had three "temporary" roommate friends i offered to help out in times of need..

One had no money for rent but cooked, cleaned, helped with yard work and paid whatever she could, usually in food or household goods, whenever she could to help out... she ended up staying for 3 years as it simply worked.. it made my life easier and saved me money, time and effort.

The other two out of the three were total freeloaders who never offered to help with anything, not pay for food, not cook or clean, not even their fair share (half) of tidy up etc.. They were both asked to leave.. 3-4wks is the timeframe to see a trend...and once you ask..pick a time (say 3-4wks) and stick to it.

I had some concern about asking them to leave but,
a) I realised I had helped someone out and bought them time to sort themselves so my conscience should be clear
b) We were not dating (or anything else) simply friends.
c) Everyone needs to take responsibility for their life...i had given a helping had.

In both cases they "had nowhere to go" but in both cases, mysteriously when they left, they had somewhere to go.

In the meantime (pick ONE SOLID MONTH) they are still there, I also agree with the idea to pull out one single synth (or VST) and dive deep into it with sound design.
I’ve already had a talk with my wife to formulate a more specific chore list for Cinderella. One thing that is already slated to happen is that next week my wife starts a new job, so that means we’ll both be out of the house around 7:15, so she’ll be in charge of getting our daughter dressed, fed and to kindergarten. That will be a big help.

I will say that while I know I’ve painted her in a bad light, she does help out in some ways. She has been good about running some errands for my wife, like returning things at the mall. She is great with out daughter and will babysit whenever we ask. (We have to get better about asking) It’s just amazing to me to see a person be so disconnected from general adult style behavior. For instance, she used up all my packing tape for her internet clothing business. She was self aware enough to realize this, and told me what she had done and how she’d already replaced it. Last night I went to pack up my old Remote 25SL, and after a few swipes of my tape gun, it was out. She’d used up the replacement tape as well. I have a hard time understanding that. In my world, the moment I realized I had a need that was beyond the occasional taping, I’d have replaced the tape I’d used, plus an extra, and bought myself a tape gun and my own supply of tape.

Really, I blame her parents. Mom specifically. I think she set up a situation where her kids were free to focus on school, sports and social times and never actually had a household chore to be responsible for. To her, she thinks she’s really stepping it up when she brings her plate to the sink, but she has no idea that someone then rinses it off, puts the dishes that are in the dishwasher away, wipes down the table and counters, etc. My part in this dance-of-the-stupid, is that I hate to be a “boss.” I just want people to be cognizant of what needs to be done and what their responsibilities are and just do it.

Anyway, I’ve already called for a “family meeting” this weekend where this can be hashed out and hammered down. I’ve had my temper tantrum. Thanks for being part of it! Now that the dust has cleared I’m well aware that not much has actually changed other than half a room that had no real use before has now become my office/studio. I’ve got to get a light (damn that side of the room is dark!) and maybe something from FURNI (@sheddoggie) but on the bright side, I went from a view of a suburban house to a panoramic view of the entire bay. I’m lucky on many counts. When, and if, we move to a smaller two bedroom, I’ll start another one of these threads.

(P.S. I’ve already installed Dune 3 and Factory and I’m excited to dig in!)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
a decent 3-drawer filing cabinet is a good asset. the proper office ones with
a bit of depth, that can take a rack unit, and still have a working lock.
3-drawer can go standing in a van, 4-drawer cannot (have studied this).

the benefit is to have something you can chuck gear in that looks like
nothing special, could have anything in it, and isn't offensive parked in
a room. quick way to tidy stuff up, and can hold a lot if you find one with
drawers with sides rather than document racks.

this doesn't address your issue directly, of course; but it can help to defer
decisions about what to keep or not - and it's a great way to stay on top
of all the cable, power supply and other s***. who knows, you could even
get to a point where you can fit your whole music setup in one, bar a
keyboard.

your ligger... yeah, how long was that projected to go on for? not indefinitely,
presumably. i was in a situation where i didn't trust my ex's friends. i didn't
even like the idea of them being around any gear. that was never going to
work out. i really did end up backed into a corner, gradually shrinking Into
The Box. (ITB doesn't mean 'In' the box, it means 'Into the Box'). And then
Propellerheads brought out software called 'Reason' - like, all this hardware
is madness, and this is 'reason'...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Pyramid ➡️
or sign her unknowingly up to the navy?
At 20 I had no direction in life and joined the Army, which was the best thing I ever did. I made money, met different types of people from all over the USA, learned skills that I didn’t possess including teamwork and self responsibility, got a future college degree out of it, and best of all felt pride in serving my country.
Old 8th January 2019
Deleted baa19f3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
Before I start, let me say that I know I’m being over reactive and a bit silly. Sorry, I’m using Gearslutz as a place to vent my frustrations.

Here’s the situation. For complicated reasons, I’ve got a woman, think of her as Marilyn Munster, living in our spare room. That spare room was also my studio. This worked fine, as I was working from home and able to use my gear during the day, but now I have a gig that requires my presence during the day, so this pushes my studio time to nights and weekends... times when that room will be occupied.

So, I moved my gear down to a corner of our dinning room. It’s a large room that was actually used as a living room by previous tenants, so there’s a decent amount of room. Still, I had to go from a “L” shaped setup to an “I.” Generally, it’s OK, though my studio monitors are no longer in a good place.

...but I hate it. My setup has always looked like something you’d find on the bridge of the Nebuchadnezzar. Proudly. I was going for this:

Now, when it’s occupying a quarter of the room where we eat at least two meals a day in, it’s really bothering me. Part of me thinks, “suck it up, buttercup. You’re not pretending your room is the bridge of the Jupiter 2 like you did when you were 5.” I could just jettison most of it, whittle it down to 2 or 3 instruments, put it on an attractive desk and move on. It’s not like I feed my family with my music. Frankly, none of them are remotely interested in my music. What would that look like? Pro 2, Voyager and maybe the Prophet X?

The other part of me is saying, “F it. You’ll get used to it, and the eyesore (already commented on by the missus, and I agree) serves everyone right for inviting a freeloader (part of this stems from resentment that the “cheerful helper who’d help out with the rent as well” has turned into a “nice but reclusive millennial who can’t seem to figure out what to put in the recycling bin, and who’s sole contribution is that she can get my daughter the braids/ponytail she craves so dearly.) into our home. The amount of rent she pays just about covers food and the increase in our water bill.

Anyway, part of me is thinking, “shut up, baby. Act like an adult.” That part knows that my Matrix access point is largely the remnants of some childhood fixation with blinky lights. Of course I can do my schtick 100% ITB. Having a few choice bits of hardware is no punishment, and I should be happy I have anything. Hell, I like working ITB. The other part of me is on the floor kicking and screaming like a toddler who got his favorite blankie taken away.

Anyway, “hi. How are you?”

[edit] I should also mention that I’m angry that I was kept from playing music during the 2 week holiday break by this gear move and holiday stuff/trip.
I have spoken of this before, but not in much depth, but I'd like to share my personal story if I may.
Wife and I sold our home, she quit her job and I was taking an early retirment at 62 because Michigan was in a deep recession and I had lost my job when the factory moved to NC.
My mother was in her early 90's living by herself here in Fl, but her memory was fading quickly and we moved down here to be close to her, provide meals for her, etc.
18 mos after we moved here, she fell during the night and I found her the following afternoon on one of my visits. She was badly dehyrdrated and delusional and spent 4 days in the hospital recovering. Everyone advised it based on their observation, she shouldn't be alone anymore.
Within a day before her release my wife and I had completely torn down my home studio of analog/digital gear, mixer, reel to reel, 5 synthesizers including 4 61 note keyboards.
We stuck gear in boxes, bubblewrapped them, stuck them in closets and had a couple under the bed.
I kept my Ensoniq VFX-sd and used my Korg Odyssey and a small table for my desktop, all stuffed in a corner in the bedroom.(We have a pretty big master bedroom for a double wide Florida home). Couldn't do vocals or use any guitars, so basically I mostly used software or my 2 keyboards)
I use headphones all the time anyway, so I was able to work in my little corner studio.
Fast forward to a year ago, after 18 mos, my mom passed away here at home in her bedroom(now once again my studio).

I think your present setup in the area you have it needs to be downsized to perhaps one keyboard(something small, maybe even a simple 49 midi control keyboard, a module and your desktop/laptop. I wouldn't sell anything, but store them anywhere there is space available. Get bubblewrap at home depot and use that to protect everything.
I would think of this as a challenge to make that corner of the dining area as practical as possible, squeeze as much out of little as you can. Make it go from being an eyesore, to something that doesn't stick out.

I can only say this too shall pass. Whatever is going on in your home, will eventually change, and you'll get your studio back.
Just look at this as an opportunity to take a break from familiarity and see this as a life learning experience to create your music with very little. You'll be surprised at what you can do when forced.

I feel your pain, I really do, but I can only tell you from my own experience, things change, life is always in flux and time is temporary.

Best of luck to you.
ps...DON'T SELL ANYTHING!!!!
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This thread belongs in the Moan Zone...
Lives for gear

Quote:
It’s a beautiful room with a panoramic view of the SF Bay.
This is the problem right here. GTFO of that area and move somewhere that has a sane cost of living. You’ve already spent plenty of time there. Maybe you need a change, and could probably afford a 12 bedroom mansion and two Ferraris for the price you’re paying to live in a shoebox.

I mean, c’mon... You’ve lived that experience for many years. Time to relax and drive that Ferrari on the countryside then come home to play with your Moog Model 15 in your 25x25’ treated room with gold gilded ornate woodwork adorning every corner, while you sip 25 year old Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon.
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear

31 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Should have said “opinions are like...”
iPhones and I don’t get on. You have to have elf hands to use these.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
but that's just silly talk, if you have no balls or you are a trans in waiting then yes i could agree but then i would say you would probably prefer a walk in wardrobe with a pink shag pile anyway.

As it stands the man cave is gone so he needs to man up and accept the situation until he gets it fixed, no point in stressing himself and the Mrs out over some temporary BS.
For me, it is far more “manly” to suck it up, a bit, than to become some ridged dictator who has to get their way. Of course, there’s a balance to everything, but I think we too often conflate compromise with weakness. No one’s asked me, or even hinted at, me getting rid of anything. I probably could have kept my studio as it was, and demanded evenings and weekend access, but that didn’t feel right. So, maybe that was a mistake, but so far, the only bad part of this is that I lost my prime vacation studio time because I spent it relocating everything. (Christonacracker, cables get DUSTY!) Life goes on.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey ➡️
...this too shall pass. Whatever is going on in your home, will eventually change, and you'll get your studio back. Just look at this as an opportunity to take a break from familiarity and see this as a life learning experience to create your music with very little. You'll be surprised at what you can do when forced.

...things change, life is always in flux and time is temporary.

Best of luck to you.
ps...DON'T SELL ANYTHING!!!!
Sage advice right here, nothing to add. Ok, one thing: id sell the Tetras as your Tempest should cover their sound capabilities . But never under duress.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 ➡️
This thread belongs in the Moan Zone...
no it fckn doesn't, man.
this is the essence of survival, this is Stealth Studio time.

Last edited by ibtl; 9th January 2019 at 07:07 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
biscuitdough
have you never blagged your way into a nightclub without paying?
eg: 'ligging'
Deleted 83f48a0
Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonpanic ➡️
biscuitdough
have you never blagged your way into a nightclub without paying?
eg: 'ligging'
Not up on my British slang I suppose - I was embarassed to find that one of the most popular examples for its use is in a Motorhead song I know, though.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu ➡️
This is the problem right here. GTFO of that area and move somewhere that has a sane cost of living. You’ve already spent plenty of time there. Maybe you need a change, and could probably afford a 12 bedroom mansion and two Ferraris for the price you’re paying to live in a shoebox.

I mean, c’mon... You’ve lived that experience for many years. Time to relax and drive that Ferrari on the countryside then come home to play with your Moog Model 15 in your 25x25’ treated room with gold gilded ornate woodwork adorning every corner, while you sip 25 year old Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon.
I find it odd how people tend to fight a fight they want to fight, instead of accessing the situation at hand. While there’s no 625 square foot room here that’s solely for my man cave, I think you would find few people who call a 3 bd, 2.5 bath, 2000 square foot split level a “shoebox.”

Also, I’m working on one of the top selling FPS games of all time. My wife works for a software company that’s rated as the best place to work in the U.S. That’s not going to happen in Idaho. Those jobs are in this area. Is it all sunshine and rainbows? No, but I’ve lived in the country, and that has its own issues, like where do you work? My daughter also has access to incredible schools, museums (our airport is officially designated as a museum), hell, even just the cultural diversity is off the hook here. Her best friends are Spanish, Indian, Korean and Chinese. I love that. I can also get Burmese food as easily as my family got pizza in the NJ suburbs. (Oddly, the pizza here is hit and miss...)

There is a long term plan to get out of this area. I’m skeptical, though, because we seem to be riding this tech wave pretty well and we’ve made some good friends here. We’d probably have to retire or find a place that will make use of our fairly specialized skills. One thing we don’t want is a “Green Acres” type situation. I get allergic smelling hay!
Old 8th January 2019
Deleted 83f48a0
I love all these "well this certainly isn't the most toxic forum on the internet" responses. Personal attacks, ludicrous suggestions to throw a tantrum or commit some antisocial act on family and friends who OP clearly cares for. Take a deep breath, guys. Relax. Maybe try taking that breath through your nose, since you're coming off as a lot of mouth breathers.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
For me, it is far more “manly” to suck it up, a bit, than to become some ridged dictator who has to get their way. Of course, there’s a balance to everything, but I think we too often conflate compromise with weakness. No one’s asked me, or even hinted at, me getting rid of anything. I probably could have kept my studio as it was, and demanded evenings and weekend access, but that didn’t feel right. So, maybe that was a mistake, but so far, the only bad part of this is that I lost my prime vacation studio time because I spent it relocating everything. (Christonacracker, cables get DUSTY!) Life goes on.
Yep which is exactly why I said it, it's a temp thing and it's obviously awkward but being a partner and a man in your case matters, being a dick now wouldn't be good in the long run.

I'd certainly store my gear and minimise for the period though , if there's no room you're just going to get more annoyed surely? I know you were blowing off steam but it came from somewhere, acknowledge it to avoid it cropping up more often.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Refix ➡️
Sage advice right here, nothing to add. Ok, one thing: id sell the Tetras as your Tempest should cover their sound capabilities . But never under duress.
Yeah, I’ve known this for a while, but I’ve been telling myself I’ll miss that mod sequencer, which I kind of use a lot. Alternately, I could replace the Tempest with a Peak, since I’m not using it as a groove box, and I’ve made a 180 on my opinion on it since v1.2
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 83f48a0 ➡️
Not up on my British slang I suppose - I was embarassed to find that one of the most popular examples for its use is in a Motorhead song I know, though.
which Motorhead song?

Last edited by ibtl; 8th January 2019 at 10:06 PM..
Deleted 83f48a0
Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonpanic ➡️
which Motorhead song?
Killed by Death, not one of the classics but I remember the video from when I was little being one of the things that made my parents tell me I wasn't allowed to watch MTV. The other was the Fat Boys...
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopicman ➡️
Is there something else (living room-wise, etc.) that can be put in the dining area, instead of your music gear?
This isn't about having space, it's about moving from a private(ish) space into a public space. (dinning room) I've just got a gap between the kind of visual clutter I don't mind at all in a spare room and the kind of visual clutter that's in a place where we eat and entertain. It's really a small problem that exists inside my little head.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
This isn't about having space, it's about moving from a private(ish) space into a public space. (dinning room) I've just got a gap between the kind of visual clutter I don't mind at all in a spare room and the kind of visual clutter that's in a place where we eat and entertain. It's really a small problem that exists inside my little head.
It's not clutter, it's a conversation piece!

If you need to hide it, or better organize it, think in terms of a music desk with a couple of rack spaces and room for a couple of keyboards. Cabinets are indeed nice, but they are bulky.

Maybe just an oriental screen or two to cordon that section off. It all depends on where the window is, of course, and if you get the nice view with your dining experience.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Search eBay for a pair
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah, I’ve known this for a while, but I’ve been telling myself I’ll miss that mod sequencer, which I kind of use a lot. Alternately, I could replace the Tempest with a Peak, since I’m not using it as a groove box, and I’ve made a 180 on my opinion on it since v1.2
I hear you re: mod sequencer. I sold my P08r a couple years back because of overlap with my Tempest and i couldn't rationalise the $ tied up on such a similar sound, but i do miss that mod sequencer for happy accidents. I also miss the bi-timbrality (is that a word??!) of the P08. I ended up finally filling the hole my P08 left in my set up with a Peak late last year and I'm digging it. Now i can use my Tempest combined with my Peak for a real crazy hybrid poly

Also, i was thinking of a more permanent solution to your space issue as this isn't the first time ive seen you post about it. What about building / converting a little 10x10 shed? In the grand scheme of things this wouldn't be super expensive or hard to set up depending of course on where you live / your yard type / whether you have a carpenter friend that will give you a friend rate. Easy for me to say as im a carpenter, but something to consider. Im sure if you didn't buy gear for 2 or 3 years (!), you'd have enough to do this, something to consider for long term.

I suggested 10x10 btw because where i live (BC, Canada) structures that size or smaller dont need a foundation which makes the project much cheaper and easier. A carpenter in your area would know the specs applicable there.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I find it odd how people tend to fight a fight they want to fight, instead of accessing the situation at hand.
#metoo
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Refix ➡️
I hear you re: mod sequencer. I sold my P08r a couple years back because of overlap with my Tempest and i couldn't rationalise the $ tied up on such a similar sound, but i do miss that mod sequencer for happy accidents. I also miss the bi-timbrality (is that a word??!) of the P08. I ended up finally filling the hole my P08 left in my set up with a Peak late last year and I'm digging it. Now i can use my Tempest combined with my Peak for a real crazy hybrid poly

Also, i was thinking of a more permanent solution to your space issue as this isn't the first time ive seen you post about it. What about building / converting a little 10x10 shed? In the grand scheme of things this wouldn't be super expensive or hard to set up depending of course on where you live / your yard type / whether you have a carpenter friend that will give you a friend rate. Easy for me to say as im a carpenter, but something to consider. Im sure if you didn't buy gear for 2 or 3 years (!), you'd have enough to do this, something to consider for long term.

I suggested 10x10 btw because where i live (BC, Canada) structures that size or smaller dont need a foundation which makes the project much cheaper and easier. A carpenter in your area would know the specs applicable there.
We rent, so that wouldn’t be an ideal or maybe even possible solution. Plus, I’m in earthquake country, so I’m sure the permit process would cost $50k or more.
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I would invest in making the available space nice, maybe you need a custom desk that provides good ergonomics, a couple of speaker stands, etc.

If you have to place your stuff in that space, make it as nice as you can, and since you are the one giving up the room I think your wife should give you some consideration regarding how it looks.

You are on the losing end of the situation, so make the best of it.

As for selling gear, I would get rid of redundant stuff, in your situation a master keyboard, the computer, big ass studio monitors and a single synth would be my choice. Not reducing it to a minimum (because I would resent that a lot) but making the most of the space available and making it worth to have hw.

I have my stuff in the living room, will post a picture later.
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This thread reminds me of Doomsday Preppers for Synthesizers.
📝 Reply