Quantcast
Arturia DX7 - CPU Beast? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia DX7 - CPU Beast?
Old 3rd January 2019
Here for the gear

Arturia DX7 - CPU Beast?

I absolutely love the Arturia DX7 but I feel like it hogs a lot of CPU. On a 2012 Macbook with 8GB ram, which I know is underpowered, but I generally feel like their DX is harder to run than their other synths. I'm in Ableton 10. And I'm generally wondering: 1) do this happen to anyone else out there and 2) why would this be an issue on a VST emulating 80's digital????
Old 3rd January 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Yes it can take a bit of CPU. Especially older CPUs. Disable internal FX if you wanna use your own, limit polyphony, see what helps.

Emulation is a tricky thing - it doesn't matter if something is "80s digital" if you need to oversample a lot to get the result that sounds the same. And then I also wonder how much CPU their (admittedly spiffy looking) GUIs take on occasion.
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Addict

Maybe compare it to Dexed, free DX emulator. I use it a lot and it does not use a lot of CPU on a MacBook 2013, the Ableton CPU meter shows 3-4%. And it sounds really close, I own a TX-7 and DX7II and don't hear much of a difference. That is with my ears, so everyone else might have a different opinion, so check it out for yourself...

Dexed
Old 4th January 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➡️
Yes it can take a bit of CPU. Especially older CPUs. Disable internal FX if you wanna use your own, limit polyphony, see what helps.

Emulation is a tricky thing - it doesn't matter if something is "80s digital" if you need to oversample a lot to get the result that sounds the same. And then I also wonder how much CPU their (admittedly spiffy looking) GUIs take on occasion.
Ah that makes sense!

Yeah, I frequently lower polyphony, which gets me to a manageable place.
Old 4th January 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundReverend ➡️
Maybe compare it to Dexed, free DX emulator. I use it a lot and it does not use a lot of CPU on a MacBook 2013, the Ableton CPU meter shows 3-4%. And it sounds really close, I own a TX-7 and DX7II and don't hear much of a difference. That is with my ears, so everyone else might have a different opinion, so check it out for yourself...

Dexed
I have and I totally agree—Dexed performs better on my system. AND I'm thankful that they went with preset management that respected the Sysex libraries that we all have. Makes it easier to find things.

My only issue is weird stuff like noise and keys hanging.....

Should just buy the real deal!
📝 Reply