Quantcast
NEW: Korg Minilogue xd - Page 27 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NEW: Korg Minilogue xd
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Original Minilogue used multiple voices to emulate a "delay", so it's going to sound different than the Prologue or XD's delay which uses a more traditional digital delay effect.

Perhaps someone could code a user effect that gives a BBD delay effect, or an effect that emulates the OG Minilogue's "delay" effect.
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
it's no good for polysynths
Do you think so ?
Synthfind
Old 9th February 2019
Here for the gear

Minilogue XD release date?

Does anybody have any idea when this unit is being released? I really want the Minilogue but may wait for the XD if it’s coming in the near future.
Old 9th February 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz ➡️
Original Minilogue used multiple voices to emulate a "delay", so it's going to sound different than the Prologue or XD's delay which uses a more traditional digital delay effect.

Perhaps someone could code a user effect that gives a BBD delay effect, or an effect that emulates the OG Minilogue's "delay" effect.
Agree with the latter, just fyi, Minilogue has a proper delay effect in addition to the voice-mode delay you're referring to.
Old 10th February 2019 | Show parent
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
Originally Posted by musichascolors ➡️
just fyi, Minilogue has a proper delay effect in addition to the voice-mode delay you're referring to.
Indeed, and essential with only 4 voices of polyphony because it's excellent for making "synthetic release" - meaning, instead of making a pad with a long release time I would make a pad with a fairly short release time and use the analog delay to act as the release tail. The beauty of this is you then don't hear voice stealing like you do with a long release on the EGs.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 ➡️
Does anybody have any idea when this unit is being released? I really want the Minilogue but may wait for the XD if it’s coming in the near future.
I saw towards the end of February.
Old 10th February 2019
Lives for gear

So I saw a comment elsewhere saying that the MicroFreak has a more complete implementation of the MI wavetables, whereas in the Korg it has been simplified... anyone else know more?
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX ➡️
So I saw a comment elsewhere saying that the MicroFreak has a more complete implementation of the MI wavetables, whereas in the Korg it has been simplified... anyone else know more?
There are no wavetables in the -logue line of synths. They’re mathematically generated.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted cec0d5b ➡️
There are no wavetables in the -logue line of synths. They’re mathematically generated.
Whatever they are, oscillator models or whatever. The Prologue and minilogue XD have some of Mutable Instruments' stuff in them like the MicroFreak, and the question is whether it's true that the Arturia implementation offers more.
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX ➡️
Whatever they are, oscillator models or whatever. The Prologue and minilogue XD have some of Mutable Instruments' stuff in them like the MicroFreak, and the question is whether it's true that the Arturia implementation offers more.
I don’t have a MicroFreak so can’t answer that for you, I’m afraid. I can tell you however that the Blinds oscillator (I assume that’s what you’re referring to) offers many waves to window between.
Old 10th February 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah I'm not sure what the limitations could be since you can apparently upload other algorithms to the xd.

I just listened to all the presets in the Loopop video....This is really cool, and sounds great... but seems to have a kind of nasal character to its sound that is hard to get away from?
Maybe it's my ears, or the recording environment or YT or something, but I feel like a lot of the presets have really ****ty/muddy sounding bass. That's one of the reasons I still have my eye on the OG Minilogue and the Prologue, the XD doesn't seem to have any tools for attenuating lower frequencies.
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

It sounded to me like the sound had been eq'd with a boost to the upper mids.

I hope that's not the true sound of it, as otherwise this is just right for me.

I was planning for the Peak but this Korg seems pretty good and at half the price. 4 voices are enough for my purposes so long as they have substance and the xd appears to have that... Being able to play it on its own is a big plus.
Old 11th February 2019
Deleted b7a9c8d
It will be a tough call between the XD and MicroFreak... I think I'd need to play with the XD in person to hear its sound compared to the OG.
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Played the Prologue in store again today. Very fun, but none of the delays have the cool sound of the Minilogue delay (yet).
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had one of the first uk minilogues as there was that massive delay issue when they first came out but luckily I snuck in fast so got 1 early. To me the XD sounds everybit like the original if it wants,minus the shatty bass loss when turning up the resonance. I personally can’t wait for my XD which I pre ordered within the hour of it being possible, selling my original without any regret instantly.

The XD IMHO sounds a million times better and goes so many places the original didn’t with the added multi voice and fx.

Hoping I’m in the first batch of orders so will report back once I get it.
Old 13th February 2019 | Show parent
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 ➡️
The XD IMHO sounds a million times better
A million times better. Whoa. Really.

Quote:
and goes so many places the original didn’t with the added multi voice and fx.
I think it's fair to say that it's gained some things and lost some things from the original Minilogue. I hope it hasn't lost its charm.
Old 13th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko ➡️
A million times better. Whoa. Really.

I think it's fair to say that it's gained some things and lost some things from the original Minilogue. I hope it hasn't lost its charm.
Yeh maybe i over egged it with a million, er nine hundred and ninety nine thousand nine hundred and ninety nine point nine then

It is a bit amusing reading this forum. Not long ago the Minilogue was slated as cold and thin and now theres a new one its almost starting to get retro status where people want that original sound. Ill be gutted if they go up in value in the 2nd hand market after selling mine hahaha.

Im not so fussed about the things it lost as didn't really use them anyway and even the loss of 4 pole and 2 pole options I'm not gutted about due to the new filter not vanishing into thin air with resonance. Then again that's just me, not a huge fan of that ladder filter effect.

We will all find out soon hopefully
Old 14th February 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Is there much of a sound difference between the Prologue and XD? IE., is it the same filter, oscillators etc?
Old 14th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is there much of a sound difference between the Prologue and XD? IE., is it the same filter, oscillators etc?
The filter is supposedly based upon the Prologue filter, but identical.

I can only tell you this much, having played the ML, ML-XD and PL for a good bit.

The MiniLogue struck me as being "very nice" sounding.

The Prologue just never quite jelled for me ... it's kind of an "almost got it" sound, IMHO.

Putting my hands on a Minilogue XD at NAMM for the first time: "yussssss, that's what it's all about". It just sings. Love it ... trying to justify another mini-keyboard slot for it in my rig.
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer ➡️
Putting my hands on a Minilogue XD at NAMM for the first time: "yussssss, that's what it's all about". It just sings. Love it ... trying to justify another mini-keyboard slot for it in my rig.
Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I'm curious now!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Probably fairly similar, though the filter is apparently a bit beefier, presumably to account for the lower voice count. Other main sonic differences seem to be the lack of a full ADSR on the second envelope, and some differences in effects.

There likely isn't a great difference between a Prologue 8 and two polychained XDs (done by some third party method e.g. with an RK002), don't forget the Prologues are bitimbral so a P8 is almost like having two XDs anyway. Plenty of other non-sonic differences too, e.g. full size keys/ CV ins/ sequencer etc.
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

Hmm, I had a good listen to the flac files posted by audiofanzine... Yes, it sounds better than the previous 'logues but still not good enough for my picky ears. The sound just lacks the musical subtlety and depth of a good analog, but is totally OK for the price. The size , the oscilloscope and the sequencer make it a great synth to play around with.
Old 14th February 2019
Gear Addict

My theory is that you take a slight hit on the sonics with improved digital control/motion sequencing/MIDI. To some people that means everything, but the automation speaks to me enough to justify whatever difference might exist.
Old 17th February 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt ➡️
Will it include the "click of doom" ?
does it ?
Old 18th February 2019
Lives for gear

I'll be testing one out tomorrow evening at the Manchester Korg Hangout so will report back, does anyone have anything specific they'd like me to check out/ask someone about?
Old 18th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilb ➡️
I'll be testing one out tomorrow evening at the Manchester Korg Hangout so will report back, does anyone have anything specific they'd like me to check out/ask someone about?
It would be great if they also had an original so you could test the differences side by side, especially for the filter and envelopes.
In case, let us know your impressions!
Old 18th February 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer ➡️
Kind of non-sequitor, but I wonder if he was intentionally playing the piano-solo to Pink Moon around 2:30-ish.
So I went through the loopop video finally, and realized the preset this guy was "playing" is called Mini Moon. At least I know my ears aren't failing me.
Old 21st February 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Can somebody confirm they didnt ****up the EG again?
Old 24th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I was wondering if the Decksaver for the Minilogue would also fit on the XD.

Looks like it...the listed dimensions are identical, and the joystick is more or less in the same position
📝 Reply