The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rev2 or not to Rev2 in 2019
Old 5th June 2019
  #91
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
In a “consolidation” move, I gave up my Tetras and Tempest. The idea being that a Prophet 12 module (which I love) would be enough of that.

It’s safe to say that I’ll spend the second half of my year’s synth budget on a 8 voice REV2 this Christmas.

I miss it!
Old 5th June 2019 | Show parent
  #92
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz ➡️
yep, that was me last year... then I got the other 8 voices, and was even happier.
haha i bet!!! monster synth
with the music i make i don't think i'll hit a wall at 8. never have before.
it's on my mind, but have some other gear higher up on the list.
Old 5th June 2019 | Show parent
  #93
vlz
Lives for gear
 
vlz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehallmonitor ➡️
haha i bet!!! monster synth
with the music i make i don't think i'll hit a wall at 8. never have before.
it's on my mind, but have some other gear higher up on the list.
Just start making some stacked patches...
Old 5th June 2019 | Show parent
  #94
Deleted cec0d5b
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
It’s safe to say that I’ll spend the second half of my year’s synth budget on a 8 voice REV2 this Christmas.
Unless of course Mr. Smith has a new product announcement before then.
Old 6th June 2019 | Show parent
  #95
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted cec0d5b ➡️
Unless of course Mr. Smith has a new product announcement before then.
REV3!
Old 6th June 2019 | Show parent
  #96
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
REV3!
Rev2 is a kind of celebration Edition.
As far as I know, there is not scheduled a REV3 in the short/medium term...
Old 6th June 2019 | Show parent
  #97
Deleted cec0d5b
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
REV3!
Prophet 13.

Will it make it to the moon? Tune in to find out...
Old 6th June 2019 | Show parent
  #98
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko ➡️
Prophet 13.

Will it make it to the moon? Tune in to find out...
Kidding aside, I wonder what a Prophet 12 with the filters and oscillators from the X would be like. What if they did a dual oscillator type design like the Evolver or Prologue? Put in the mod sequencer too. Would I want to replace my 12 with it? I guess it would depend on price and size. The 12 module is nice and tiny.

OTOH, I’m starting to feel G.A.S. fatigue. I miss that controversial DSI Curtis based sound, but the 12 does get me in the ball park. I’m not even sure where a Prophet 8 would go... I’d probably have to do the dual Tetra thing again. I’m really loving my current set up, so we’ll see. Maybe I just stay with what I have.
Old 6th June 2019 | Show parent
  #99
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Valt ➡️
Rev2 is a kind of celebration Edition.
As far as I know, there is not scheduled a REV3 in the short/medium term...
I’m mostly joking... but we know they’re working on something... BUT WHAT!?
Old 6th June 2019 | Show parent
  #100
Deleted cec0d5b
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
OTOH, I’m starting to feel G.A.S. fatigue. I miss that controversial DSI Curtis based sound, but the 12 does get me in the ball park. I’m not even sure where a Prophet 8 would go... I’d probably have to do the dual Tetra thing again. I’m really loving my current set up, so we’ll see. Maybe I just stay with what I have.
Dude... did you just figure out how to directly post to GS from a thought tangent?
Old 6th June 2019 | Show parent
  #101
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted cec0d5b ➡️
Dude... did you just figure out how to directly post to GS from a thought tangent?
Oh no, I’ve been quite adept at that for years!
Old 7th June 2019
  #102
Gear Maniac
Rev2 owners I've started sort of an ongoing project of weekly free patches that all have a familiar track hook or chord progression programmed into the sequencer.

It's called "Sessions". Basically they're free patches; a weekly upload of some patches for anyone to download and Jam with.

I just started this week. there's 3 patches named after their reference artists/tracks. Eric Prydz under his Pryda alias, Deadmau5, and Relation / LifeLike. (The Relation Patch needs a bit more work, but still has a nice bass to Jam with so figured share it anyways).
- Oh also wanted to mention, Mod wheel and after touch. almost required to fully enjoy these.

They're pretty accurate recreations for the most part. Some of these you might simply tweek the knobs and cue up your own beat and jam / remix. There's always 2 parts, so I try to pick tracks that have some kind of fun lead or bass to play along with. The sequencer on both parts is programmed for reference or to play along with. Pryda's track Melo is my all-time favorite track, in all aspects. (especially production). So of course it's the first one I made. - that one deserves a direct link here: Pryda_ Melo

Bare in mind, the limitations of the sequencer limit which tracks would make for a good Patch. It all depends on the hook / chord progressions and elements of the track. Anyways. I've had some fun with these and i think you will too, especially if you're familiar with the tracks / artists.
there's links to the original tracks on Sessions page too.
http://www.majoroscillator.com/sessions
Old 17th August 2019 | Show parent
  #103
Here for the gear
 
Doesitmatter's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I’m sure it would be fun to split the keyboard and stack 8 voices!
Old 18th August 2019 | Show parent
  #104
Lives for gear
 
realtrance's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
If you read though any DSI thread that’s about the modern Curtis based synths, you’ll find scores of posts about people either loving or hating that filter based on it’s character and I can’t remember reading another post that could call it “vanilla.” I can attest that it definitely had a personality of its own that puts its sonic signature on an oscillator, whether it’s the internal Curtis DCOs, DSP oscs from the Prophet 12 or the digital waves from the Evolver or Tempest (I’ve owned or still own all of these).

Anyway, I guess I have enough experience (starting with a Juno 106 in 83) to let you know that the character of the REV2’s filters can be noticed a mile away. Of course, there’s more to any synth’s character than it’s filter, but that one seems pretty obvious and distinct. I can also tell you that I’ve got Moog 24db ladder, 303, ARP, SEM (in a ATC-X), the Prophet style in my Prophet 6 and Pro 2, a modern Obie in the Pro 2, two Novation filters in my Bass Station 2 and the super flexible filter of the 002. That’s not including the scores of different filter types I have in plugins. Every filter is a bit different, but among those mentioned, I’d easily say that the Curtis filters sound more distinct to me than most. Whether you like them is a subjective thing, and I can see why someone wouldn’t... but to call them “vanilla...” I think you’ll have a hard time finding someone who agrees with you on that.
How would you describe the distinctness of the Curtis Filter Sound? I've read you repeatedly commenting on this over the years, but don't quite have a clear picture of what it is you're on about.....?
Old 18th August 2019 | Show parent
  #105
Lives for gear
 
realtrance's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
In a “consolidation” move, I gave up my Tetras and Tempest. The idea being that a Prophet 12 module (which I love) would be enough of that.

It’s safe to say that I’ll spend the second half of my year’s synth budget on a 8 voice REV2 this Christmas.

I miss it!
Hold off, hold off... There may be more in the mix by then from Sequential.
Old 18th November 2019 | Show parent
  #106
Gear Nut
 
bucketsofcake's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsy ➡️
And Moog released a board for people who want to remortgage their house to play Bladerunner covers.
Bravo. This almost made me spit take my coffee.

I'm also interested in the Rev2. It's curious that its harshest critics seem to be the biggest DSI fans.

It's hard to tell if the Rev2 is really as thin and brassy as they claim or whether they're just working hard to justify the 3K they invested in the P6.

I realize that Youtube videos should always be taken with a grain of salt, but I found Starsky Carr's comparison pretty surprising. In many cases, I found myself preferring the sounds of the Rev2:

Old 18th November 2019 | Show parent
  #107
Lives for gear
 
cogsy's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketsofcake ➡️
Bravo. This almost made me spit take my coffee.

I'm also interested in the Rev2. It's curious that its harshest critics seem to be the biggest DSI fans.

It's hard to tell if the Rev2 is really as thin and brassy as they claim or whether they're just working hard to justify the 3K they invested in the P6.

I realize that Youtube videos should always be taken with a grain of salt, but I found Starsky Carr's comparison pretty surprising. In many cases, I found myself preferring the sounds of the Rev2:

I always appreciate it when someone reminds me of funny **** I forgot I said.

I'll try to address your question of whether or not the Rev 2 is thin and brassy, having owned one since they came out. As far as "thin," I would probably not rely on the natural chorusing of the slightly detuned oscillators for tone. I would almost always turn on the chorus/phase/flange effect, even just a little, to smooth out the sound. But a lot of that is just that the chorus is really lush and IMHO an integral part of the character.

The oscillators can be a little harsh, even after you roll off the high end with the filter. The sub-osc is too tame for my taste, so I would use the tri-saw waveform to add some lower tones, or use osc 2 as your sub. To my knowledge, you can't overdrive the oscillators into the filter to get that crunchy tone, so it can be tame. The LFO doesn't quite track high enough to get you reliable grunge by subtle modulation of wave/osc/filter. The filter mod can get clangorous, but not in a way if call fat.

All that said, it's a great board if you know how to program it and you don't NEED a poly with girth (which all come at multiples of the price of the Rev 2). It is super deep, and I'm certain I have not explored every aspect yet. It's got sweet spots for days, especially once you turn on the chorus (which I will reiterate, sounds really F'in good). I'm out of the honeymoon phase, but not planning to sell it. Just a guy who has been using the Rev 2 as my main synth for a few years. This is as frank and unbiased an assessment as I can give.
Old 18th November 2019
  #108
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Hi,

I must say I have some problems with the sound of the Rev2 (owning one).
But I also have to say that you can tame it in the right direction.

But back to the original question. I think in 2019 I wouldn't buy one.
There are really more attractive synths:

Hydrasynth, Peak/Summit, Deepmind12 (especially price wise), MFB Synth Pro, UDO Super 6, Modal Argon 8, Waldorf Kyra and so on ...
Old 18th November 2019 | Show parent
  #109
Lives for gear
 
I had a rev2 keyboard.

making a bassline with it stunk.

everything else? pure bliss

ultimately just wanted the rack version
Old 19th November 2019 | Show parent
  #110
Gear Nut
 
bucketsofcake's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsy ➡️
I always appreciate it when someone reminds me of funny **** I forgot I said.

I'll try to address your question of whether or not the Rev 2 is thin and brassy, having owned one since they came out. As far as "thin," I would probably not rely on the natural chorusing of the slightly detuned oscillators for tone. I would almost always turn on the chorus/phase/flange effect, even just a little, to smooth out the sound. But a lot of that is just that the chorus is really lush and IMHO an integral part of the character.

The oscillators can be a little harsh, even after you roll off the high end with the filter. The sub-osc is too tame for my taste, so I would use the tri-saw waveform to add some lower tones, or use osc 2 as your sub. To my knowledge, you can't overdrive the oscillators into the filter to get that crunchy tone, so it can be tame. The LFO doesn't quite track high enough to get you reliable grunge by subtle modulation of wave/osc/filter. The filter mod can get clangorous, but not in a way if call fat.

All that said, it's a great board if you know how to program it and you don't NEED a poly with girth (which all come at multiples of the price of the Rev 2). It is super deep, and I'm certain I have not explored every aspect yet. It's got sweet spots for days, especially once you turn on the chorus (which I will reiterate, sounds really F'in good). I'm out of the honeymoon phase, but not planning to sell it. Just a guy who has been using the Rev 2 as my main synth for a few years. This is as frank and unbiased an assessment as I can give.
Thanks for the in-depth assessment. I just bought a Matriarch, and I'm certainly in no hurry to drop another 2k on a synth anytime soon. But the Rev2 still seems like a relatively solid value for everything on tap.

I'm not situated in a large metro area where I can sit down and play stuff before I purchase, so it's always kind of a gamble. Every Rev2 demo I've ever heard on Youtube/SC sounds great. It honestly strikes me as a fantastic instrument somewhat unfairly (and inexplicably) maligned by DSI's most obsessive users.

Definitely going to wait until NAMM before I purchase anything new.
Old 19th November 2019
  #111
vlz
Lives for gear
 
vlz's Avatar
The REV2 is a good investment, solid in all aspects. But at this stage, if I were looking for a poly, I would hold on for a little while until the UBXa is out (at least).

Having said that, I feel jumpy after a Summit.
Old 19th November 2019 | Show parent
  #112
Gear Nut
 
bucketsofcake's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz ➡️
The REV2 is a good investment, solid in all aspects. But at this stage, if I were looking for a poly, I would hold on for a little while until the UBXa is out (at least).

Having said that, I feel jumpy after a Summit.
I'm not going to hold my breath for the UBXa. I won't be surprised if 2020 comes and goes without a release. Maybe they'll produce something at NAMM. Who knows.

The Summit seems cool too, though a bit different than the Rev2.
Old 19th November 2019
  #113
Gear Head
 
For what it's worth. I have mine 2 years and I still love it.
I sold my juno 6 to buy this and the rev2 never made me miss the juno 6.
I love the keyboard, use it as my master keyboard.

I just think it sounds really good, the pads are really very good,
The only thing I regret is not getting the 16 voice model.
Old 19th November 2019 | Show parent
  #114
Lives for gear
 
markodarko's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPS71 ➡️
The only thing I regret is not getting the 16 voice model.
You can get an 8-voice upgrade card to make it into a 16.
Old 19th November 2019 | Show parent
  #115
vlz
Lives for gear
 
vlz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko ➡️
You can get an 8-voice upgrade card to make it into a 16.
That's what I did and was the best decision (well second to having got a 16 first time). Easy install, no hassle.
Old 19th November 2019 | Show parent
  #116
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz ➡️
That's what I did and was the best decision (well second to having got a 16 first time). Easy install, no hassle.
+1
Old 20th November 2019 | Show parent
  #117
Gear Addict
 
mvrh's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsy ➡️
I'll try to address your question of whether or not the Rev 2 is thin and brassy, having owned one since they came out. As far as "thin," I would probably not rely on the natural chorusing of the slightly detuned oscillators for tone. I would almost always turn on the chorus/phase/flange effect, even just a little, to smooth out the sound. But a lot of that is just that the chorus is really lush and IMHO an integral part of the character.
I own a Rev2 since its release and agree with your assessment. I usually enable the chorus too and find that turning both fx1 and fx2 parameters all the way down and Mix about 45-50 will smooth out the sound a lot, adding width and depth to the otherwise "flat" oscillators.

You can say about the Curtis filter what you like, but I really like the way it's playable. Using the Modulation Matrix, set Note Number to Cutoff and dial in using this guide will give you a chromatically playable filter. Further, using the Distortion effect on the filter and manipulating Cutoff through the Env3 will give you a lot of heavy kickdrums or baselines.

This instrument can be anything you want, but it does need some work to get there. A lot of small changes will make subtle differences on it's own, but will amount in very interesting results.

Edit: the one gripe I have with this instrument are the jumpy oscillator encoders. I mean, dialing one in at C2 and having it jump to C#2 a few seconds later isn't funny.
Old 20th November 2019 | Show parent
  #118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrh ➡️
Edit: the one gripe I have with this instrument are the jumpy oscillator encoders. I mean, dialing one in at C2 and having it jump to C#2 a few seconds later isn't funny.
Agreed, this can be a nasty little issue but it doesn't happen that often here. Maybe twice in an 8 hour session. I can live with it.
Old 20th November 2019 | Show parent
  #119
Lives for gear
 
camarao's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustAmerican ➡️
Agreed, this can be a nasty little issue but it doesn't happen that often here. Maybe twice in an 8 hour session. I can live with it.
That's a bad quality issue, even if it would happen once in a month and should be solved by Sequential.
Old 20th November 2019 | Show parent
  #120
Gear Addict
 
mvrh's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarao ➡️
That's a bad quality issue, even if it would happen once in a month and should be solved by Sequential.
I don't think they can, at least not with a firmware update, otherwise I would suspect they already did. This issue is there since day one.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 3373 views: 451303
Avatar for eighteenisnine
eighteenisnine 15th December 2021
replies: 7781 views: 1065222
Avatar for Deleted d4b4379381835e9
Deleted d4b4379381835e9 16th March 2022
replies: 151 views: 32350
Avatar for znature
znature 6th February 2015
replies: 92 views: 37997
Avatar for Rithimer
Rithimer 9th December 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump