The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog One - Owners Discussion
Old 28th September 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyaguy ➡️
For the arp you need to feed it notes--either via the keyboard or MIDI in.

For the sequencer check that these are ON:
Thanks so much for the reply, really helpful. I’ll try this tonight
Old 3rd October 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Last July my father passed away, The One helped me process his journey.
Attached Files
Old 3rd October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering ➡️
Heart rendering. I lost my mother a few weeks back, this takes me there.
Old 4th October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukvoyager ➡️
Heart rendering. I lost my mother a few weeks back, this takes me there.
thank you.
I wasn’t sure if I should share. This was just sitting down and press rec. No plan, no edits. just the One and my hands, digging up memories, heartfelt.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
thank you.
I wasn’t sure if I should share. This was just sitting down and press rec. No plan, no edits. just the One and my hands, digging up memories, heartfelt.
I'm very pleased you shared this piece, it invoked memories.

Thanks also to Lisa Bella Donna for the preset concept an adaptation of her original work on the APOLLYON'S SUN patch.

Gear Head

Quote:
This is really beautiful. Thank you for sharing. The One always sounds so amazing and is such an expressive synth... inspiring sounds and very much appreciated by everyone here, I am sure.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukvoyager ➡️
I'm very pleased you shared this piece, it invoked memories.

Thanks also to Lisa Bella Donna for the preset concept an adaptation of her original work on the APOLLYON'S SUN patch.

Yes, she couldn’t had created and named anything more appropriate. Her pack is fantastic…
Old 5th October 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone using external effects in the inserts on the One?

I have some Moogerfoogers and soon to also have a stereo chorus pedal that I want to try with it.

Can anyone confirm if this is the correct method for connecting a stereo unit?

Old 5th October 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

I am currently doing the same – most likely this evening – and will share my results, but that looks accurate and what I was planning to do based on my understanding of how the insert jacks are set up on the One.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentionauts ➡️
Anyone using external effects in the inserts on the One?

I have some Moogerfoogers and soon to also have a stereo chorus pedal that I want to try with it.

Can anyone confirm if this is the correct method for connecting a stereo unit?

Bear in mind that though they are called inserts they are really sends. The unaffected dry signal continues on through the normal signal path, while the "insert" returns proceed directly to the outputs. To use a mono to stereo outboard effect, it is often easier to send the 2 outs of the effect directly to the board/interface/amp. The only thing you really gain by bringing the signal back in to The One is use of the master volume knob. The sonics are actually a little better if you don't bother with that. My 2 cents, for what its worth.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Aiken ➡️
The only thing you really gain by bringing the signal back in to The One is use of the master volume knob.
That's possibly true for your setup but not of the One in general.

Since the returns are before the effects section you can route the mixed Insert/Return signal into the effects. So you can get the send/return from a Moogerfooger, route it into the One's phaser and then into the Eventide reverb.

And if you're using headphones into the One, it's a handy way to get externally effected signals through the headphones.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
That's possibly true for your setup but not of the One in general.

Since the returns are before the effects section you can route the mixed Insert/Return signal into the effects. So you can get the send/return from a Moogerfooger, route it into the One's phaser and then into the Eventide reverb.

And if you're using headphones into the One, it's a handy way to get externally effected signals through the headphones.
Unless things have changed, the insert returns ALWAYS go directly to the outs. The sends can be pre-or post VCA depending on whether or not the synth effects are on. Following is in more detail, plagiarized from myself, and confirmed by Moog way back when. That said - if things changed in firmware or with new builds and you are getting insert returns through master effects I am all ears!!!!! It's been a while, but when I was looking at it the unaffected dry signal hits the master effects, while the insert returns do not. There is also possible there is some "hidden" variable behaving like the synth effect button thing I mentioned that routes things differently of which I am unaware.
Here's the thing from my write up:

Hardware Inserts

Here comes the least intuitive part of all of this.

First of all, they are not really inserts in the classic sense. They are aux sends.
If the Synth Effects are off – the hardware inserts are fed pre-VCA, and the returns go directly to the main outs. This last part is always the case and there is no way to adjust the insert return volumes or routing within the machine. You can demonstrate this to yourself by feeding a hardware delay at 100% wet, and manipulating the VCA level. You can hear the original dry signal raise, lower, or disappear, but the delays remain intact.

If the Synth Effects are on – the hardware inserts are fed post-VCA (and by extension post-Synth FX) If you do the same mini-experiment as above, you will hear ALL the signal raise, go lower, or go away. Moreover, if your hardware effect has a light indicating the presence of signal, when you turn the VCA down you can see that you are getting no signal at the effect. The send is being controlled by the VCA.

In both these cases, with the VCA up, what you are hearing at the mains is both the return from the hardware effect, AND the original unaffected (by the hardware) signal. Again this is good if your effect is 100% wet. But what if your effect is say, an overdrive, and you want to ONLY hear that, and not the clean signal? In that case you need to actively prevent the clean signal from going to the mains. You can do that at the VCA or Output Matrix – BUT – if you try to do it from the VCA and the synth effects are on, you are also killing the hardware insert send.
In this case, output matrix only.
Also note that if you are listening to both the insert return and the original signal, and using the master effects, the insert return is not going through the effects. This can be confusing in terms of effect level, and also can induce phasing depending on how you are handling the effects.

Important points to take away:
1. The Synth FX button doubles as a pre/post VCA send switch for the hardware inserts.
2. The Hardware Insert returns ALWAYS go directly to the mains. You cannot route them anywhere different, apply effects to them, adjust their volume. (Unless you use 2 synths as described below.)

In general, it seems helpful if you have any experience with a mixing board to make a comparison between the One and a mixer. The hardware inserts are like aux sends, the VCA like a channel fader, and the Synth FX on/off, besides doing what it purports to, doubles as a pre/post fader send switch, with the Output Matrix behaving like a channel mute (albeit obviously in reverse).

Moog One Mixer
------------------------------------
Inserts 1-4-----------Aux Sends 1-4
VCA-------------------Channel Fader
Synth FX switch------Pre/Post fader switch for Aux (always pre-mute)
Output Grid-----------Mute Button for channel
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
The above makes me want to confirm the part about the master effects and will be happy to be wrong. In the "experiment" I describe, turning the VCA down would also kill the master effects. I think I must have checked that, but who knows at this point? I'll report back either way.

Confirmed - Insert returns not going through master effects. Easy to confirm by using a 100% wet delay with some feedback and distinct repeats as your external effect, having the master effect be something obvious and hitting a staccato note or chord on the One. You will hear what you originally pay through the master effects, but the repeats from the delay return will be unaffected.
I'd be shocked if that was specific to my unit, but would love to know if it was!!

Last edited by Phil Aiken; 5th October 2022 at 08:40 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
The above makes me want to confirm the part about the master effects and will be happy to be wrong. In the "experiment" I describe, turning the VCA down would also kill the master effects. I think I must have checked that, but who knows at this point? I'll report back either way.

Confirmed - Insert returns not going through master effects. Easy to confirm by using a 100% wet delay with some feedback and distinct repeats as your external effect, having the master effect be something obvious and hitting a staccato note or chord on the One. You will hear what you originally pay through the master effects, but the repeats from the delay return will be unaffected.
I'd be shocked if that was specific to my unit, but would love to know if it was!!
Funny, that's not what I'm getting at all, unless we are testing for different things! (The behavior is a bit confusing but the language Moog chose certainly doesn't help!)

Just to confirm assumptions--and for newcomers who might read this--when you say VCA I'm assuming that to mean the VCA section as shown on the panel, which is actually at least 2 VCAs, which is required for panning. (I'm guessing the VCA that the envelope controls is an entirely separate VCA.)

But in my experiments I can hear the onboard effect effecting the outboard, for example an onboard delay repeating an outboard delay.

Experiment: Internal Effect OFF
1. Run an Insert "Send" to an external delay unit with just 1 repeat at about 300ms
2. Run the Insert "Return" back to the One
3. Leave onboard effect off
4. Play staccato note, no release
5. Hear external delay
6. Reduce Insert Volume
7. External delay disappears
8. Increase Volume, turn Synth 1 off
9. Hear external delay, no synth

Experiment 2: Internal Effect ON
1. Run an Insert "Send" to an external delay unit with just 1 repeat at about 300ms
3. Turn on onboard delay at 1200ms
5. Hear external delay
6. Onboard delay repeats dry signal AND the external delay's single repeat
7. Reduce Insert Volume
8. External delay disappears
9. Increase Volume, turn Synth 1 off
10. Hear external delay, no synth

But the behavior you described regarding levels is true: If you turn on effects and turn down the VCA for the synth sending a signal to an Insert, you don't get a wet signal back whereas you do if effects are off.

FWIW: The Insert Volume parameter is also the "Send" volume not "Return." This can be confirmed by checking the VU or LED on your external effect.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Funny, that's not what I'm getting at all, unless we are testing for different things! (The behavior is a bit confusing but the language Moog chose certainly doesn't help!)

Just to confirm assumptions--and for newcomers who might read this--when you say VCA I'm assuming that to mean the VCA section as shown on the panel, which is actually at least 2 VCAs, which is required for panning. (I'm guessing the VCA that the envelope controls is an entirely separate VCA.)

But in my experiments I can hear the onboard effect effecting the outboard, for example an onboard delay repeating an outboard delay.

Experiment: Internal Effect OFF
3. Leave onboard effect off
5. Hear external delay
6. Reduce Insert Volume
7. External delay disappears
8. Increase Volume, turn Synth 1 off
9. Hear external delay, no synth

Experiment 2: Internal Effect ON
3. Turn on onboard delay at 1200ms
5. Hear external delay
6. Onboard delay repeats dry signal AND the external delay's single repeat
7. Reduce Insert Volume
8. External delay disappears
9. Increase Volume, turn Synth 1 off
10. Hear external delay, no synth

But the behavior you described regarding levels is true: If you turn on effects and turn down the VCA for the synth sending a signal to an Insert, you don't get a wet signal back whereas you do if effects are off.

FWIW: The Insert Volume parameter is also the "Send" volume not "Return." This can be confirmed by checking the VU or LED on your external effect.
When you say "internal effect" are you referring to master or synth effects? Because if the latter this is easily explained. If the former we should suss it out.
Lives for gear

Quote:
When you say "internal effect" are you referring to master or synth effects? Because if the latter this is easily explained. If the former we should suss it out.
Ah, yeah I missed that you switched to talking about Master Effects. Those behave differently--essentially parallel rather than series.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Ah, yeah I missed that you switched to talking about Master Effects. Those behave differently--essentially parallel rather than series.
The synth effects, when on, are PRE-insert.
What you seem to me to be hearing on the repeats is the external effect operating on the synth effect output and not the other way around. Rather than use 2 delays, it is easier to hear if you use something like a phaser set to stun as your internal effect, and change the effects mix while the external delay is still feeding its repeats back to The One. You can hear that the outgoing signal was squirrelly, and so are the repeats, but then even with the FX mix set to zero (or turned off) after sending the signal out, the repeats do not clean up. Or conversely - send a clean chord out and then turn up the FX level and the repeats will remain clean.
Lives for gear

Quote:
The synth effects, when on, are PRE-insert.
What you seem to me to be hearing on the repeats is the external effect operating on the synth effect output and not the other way around. Rather than use 2 delays, it is easier to hear if you use something like a phaser set to stun as your internal effect, and change the effects mix while the external delay is still feeding its repeats back to The One. You can hear that the outgoing signal was squirrelly, and so are the repeats, but then even with the FX mix set to zero (or turned off) after sending the signal out, the repeats do not clean up. Or conversely - send a clean chord out and then turn up the FX level and the repeats will remain clean.
Ah you're right! I guess the repeat on the delay I was hearing was so clear I thought it was the internal effect effecting the external, not the internal effect sending to the external effect.

Anyhoo, I rarely use the Inserts and mostly use Eurorack effects and a mixer, but I can see why some users might like to use them. Since the Moog crew discussed the design philosophy as being "a mixer with synths attached to it" it seems like they could have provided just a bit more flexibility, so that, for example, users can select to put the Insert return in parallel or series with the Master Effect.
Old 6th October 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

So I just tried this with a number of different stereo pedals – specifically, a Chase Bliss CXM 1978 and a Walrus Audio Julianna – and ran into issues. Both pedals can take a mono input and output a stereo signal. When wiring it up according to this diagram, I only get the fx signal returning on the left channel. If I remove the TS cable going from FX Out R to Insert 2, the signal is summed in mono across the L and R channels.

I've tried swapping the TS cable – it's fine – and testing that the fx units can handle mono in and stereo out. So, unless I am missing something, the One seems to not be handling the stereo return. Would love to know if someone else is running into this issue as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimundsare4ever ➡️
So I just tried this with a number of different stereo pedals – specifically, a Chase Bliss CXM 1978 and a Walrus Audio Julianna – and ran into issues. Both pedals can take a mono input and output a stereo signal. When wiring it up according to this diagram, I only get the fx signal returning on the left channel. If I remove the TS cable going from FX Out R to Insert 2, the signal is summed in mono across the L and R channels.

I've tried swapping the TS cable – it's fine – and testing that the fx units can handle mono in and stereo out. So, unless I am missing something, the One seems to not be handling the stereo return. Would love to know if someone else is running into this issue as well.
Did you have a play around in the Output Matrix settings and see if you can route things that way?
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentionauts ➡️
Did you have a play around in the Output Matrix settings and see if you can route things that way?
I did, and after watching the old Moog One deep dives with Amos from Moog, it sounds like stereo FX on the inserts just isn't possible and not what they intended. The "inserts," as others have said, are just mono aux sends that can sum across the L + R main outs when using a Y cable. Because this isn't super clear in the manual, I still feel less than confident even as I type "no it can't do stereo insert effects" lol. Wishful thinking perhaps?

I think the main reason for adding the inserts to the One were to: 1) allow users to simultaneously record/process each synth separately – insanely useful 2) interface with Moogerfoogers and other analog pedals that are typically mono 3) allow users to add overdrive – analog or digital – to the signal path since they intentionally left out the multi-drive circuit that is found on the Subsequent 37. The reason for the latter, they said, has to do with lessons they learned from the Memorymoog: polysynths need a lot of headroom to sound good and fit into a mix; drive inherently reduces headroom and drive across 16 synth voices would create so many harmonics that it would become really hard to fit it into a mix in addition to each voice losing clarity. This can be a cool effect, but not all the time. Anyone who has played a Subsequent 37 can tell you that even without the multi-drive on, it sounds really driven – in a good way. I wouldn't want each voice of the One to sound like that all the time.

Given the following scenarios, this makes a lot of sense, and the addition of the Sub Outs allows you to add some stereo FX while keeping the Main Outs dry – or you could just stick the stereo FX on the mains.

So, even though it would be cool to have my pedalboard running stereo through the inserts, it really does seem like the decision was well thought out and sensible. I also imagine they would have had to add even more components to support stereo on the inserts. Lastly, the usual stereo fx (digital delay and reverb) are at the end of a chain in most cases anyway – again, another reason for just sticking them on the Sub Outs or Mains.

Anyway, that's where I'm at with this feature on the One, and I am fine with it lol. I did write to Moog and ask if they can provide some clarity around this subject since it comes up so much and the manual is less than clear about exactly how the inserts can be used, in my opinion :D

Last edited by dimundsare4ever; 6th October 2022 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: adding YouTube links
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Four INSERT jacks are provided.

Their routing is controlled by pressing the Output Module MORE button. The tip of this tip-ring-sleeve jack is wired as the Send, so each INSERT jack can be used as an individual output when used with a standard unbalanced TS 1/4” cable. Each Insert jack can also be used with a Y-configuration insert cable to achieve true insert functionality. The signal is returned to Moog One via the ring connection of the tip-ring-sleeve jack. This allows the active Synth to be sent to, and returned from, an external processor, while still maintaining its place in the internal mix. In addition, the ring/return connectors on adjacent pairs of inserts (1 & 2, 3 & 4) are stereo normalled, so that they can be used as stereo returns. The way this works is that if nothing is connected to the return of Insert 2, the signal returning via Insert 1 will be summed to both the MAIN L and MAIN R outputs. Similarly, if nothing is connected to the return of Insert 4, the signal returning via Insert 3 will be summed to both the MAIN L and MAIN R outputs.
This is the text mentioned in the manual.
But it may be that the manual is wrong and we have to reverse engineer how it actually works ourselves. Possible scenarios:
A) Stereo returns are not possible
B) Stereo returns are only possible if you use Synth1 & 2 in the matrix mixer and having them both hard panned. Or other matrix variations configuration must be used.
C) Stereo returns are only possible if you sum with a (sub)mixer the send channels to a single signal to an effects unit and return the stereo output to Insert 1&2 returns. Very unlikely but if the sends are sensitive to impedance they may switch on/off depending they (both) are connected to the other side.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse ➡️
But it may be that the manual is wrong and we have to reverse engineer how it actually works ourselves. Possible scenarios:
B) Stereo returns are only possible if you use Synth1 & 2 in the matrix mixer and having them both hard panned. Or other matrix variations configuration must be used.
C) Stereo returns are only possible if you sum with a (sub)mixer the send channels to a single signal to an effects unit and return the stereo output to Insert 1&2 returns. Very unlikely but if the sends are sensitive to impedance they may switch on/off depending they (both) are connected to the other side.
I believe you can get stereo returns as described, it is just that they go directly to the main outs AND do not supplant the dry unprocessed signal, so they are not true inserts in that sense. So the manual is correct, other than the semantics of what an "insert" is.
But also - make sure both Inserts 1 and 2 are enabled for Synth 1. Not the default.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:

Did you enable Insert 2 for Synth 1?

I've done this with a stereo Phase, albeit a long time ago, and it worked.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
I did, and after watching the old Moog One deep dives with Amos from Moog, it sounds like stereo FX on the inserts just isn't possible and not what they intended. The "inserts," as others have said, are just mono aux sends that can sum across the L + R main outs when using a Y cable. Because this isn't super clear in the manual, I still feel less than confident even as I type "no it can't do stereo insert effects" lol. Wishful thinking perhaps?

I think the main reason for adding the inserts to the One were to: 1) allow users to simultaneously record/process each synth separately – insanely useful 2) interface with Moogerfoogers and other analog pedals that are typically mono 3) allow users to add overdrive – analog or digital – to the signal path since they intentionally left out the multi-drive circuit that is found on the Subsequent 37. The reason for the latter, they said, has to do with lessons they learned from the Memorymoog: polysynths need a lot of headroom to sound good and fit into a mix; drive inherently reduces headroom and drive across 16 synth voices would create so many harmonics that it would become really hard to fit it into a mix in addition to each voice losing clarity. This can be a cool effect, but not all the time. Anyone who has played a Subsequent 37 can tell you that even without the multi-drive on, it sounds really driven – in a good way. I wouldn't want each voice of the One to sound like that all the time.

Given the following scenarios, this makes a lot of sense, and the addition of the Sub Outs allows you to add some stereo FX while keeping the Main Outs dry – or you could just stick the stereo FX on the mains.

So, even though it would be cool to have my pedalboard running stereo through the inserts, it really does seem like the decision was well thought out and sensible. I also imagine they would have had to add even more components to support stereo on the inserts. Lastly, the usual stereo fx (digital delay and reverb) are at the end of a chain in most cases anyway – again, another reason for just sticking them on the Sub Outs or Mains.

Anyway, that's where I'm at with this feature on the One, and I am fine with it lol. I did write to Moog and ask if they can provide some clarity around this subject since it comes up so much and the manual is less than clear about exactly how the inserts can be used, in my opinion :D
You can't really add drive to the signal path with the inserts because the inserts do not return to the signal path.
There is a workaround for mono patches using both synth 1 and synth 2. You can send an insert out to a drive pedal via a normal TS cable, return it not to an insert, but rather to an external input that feeds Synth 2, also set to mono, and then that input goes through the signal path as expected. It can be the only signal or blended with additional oscillators, The reason synth 2 has to be mono is that otherwise you are allowing that external input through multiple times. It is possible to have synth 1 not be mono, and then only one note of what your playing will let stuff through on synth 2, but I never found that to be practical. Your milage may vary, Best results for me personally were mono to mono and keeping synth 1's filters wide open so that synth 2's filters could act on the driven signal.
Gear Head

Quote:
I believe you can get stereo returns as described, it is just that they go directly to the main outs AND do not supplant the dry unprocessed signal, so they are not true inserts in that sense. So the manual is correct, other than the semantics of what an "insert" is.
But also - make sure both Inserts 1 and 2 are enabled for Synth 1. Not the default.
So, you can't enable more than one insert per synth. I believe Amos says this in his deep dive, but you can verify it if you go into the output mixer. Enabling an insert on synth 1 will toggle all other inserts to the off position.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
So, you can't enable more than one insert per synth. I believe Amos says this in his deep dive, but you can verify it if you go into the output mixer. Enabling an insert on synth 1 will toggle all other inserts to the off position.
Hmmm....then I am wrong about that piece. Stay tuned....will refresh my memory on getting a stereo return.
It may be that I just went directly from effect to DAW inputs, which I prefer anyway.
Gear Head

Quote:
You can't really add drive to the signal path with the inserts because the inserts do not return to the signal path.
There is a workaround for mono patches using both synth 1 and synth 2. You can send an insert out to a drive pedal via a normal TS cable, return it not to an insert, but rather to an external input that feeds Synth 2, also set to mono, and then that input goes through the signal path as expected. It can be the only signal or blended with additional oscillators, The reason synth 2 has to be mono is that otherwise you are allowing that external input through multiple times. It is possible to have synth 1 not be mono, and then only one note of what your playing will let stuff through on synth 2, but I never found that to be practical. Your milage may vary, Best results for me personally were mono to mono and keeping synth 1's filters wide open so that synth 2's filters could act on the driven signal.
I typically only use drive on mono patches, so I just toggle the MAIN -SYNTH 1 to OFF, so only the driven signal is going to the main outs as opposed to blending the dry and wet.

I do like the idea of feeding the driven signal into the ext. in. I'll have to try that :D
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse ➡️
Yeah, I wrote Moog, and they usually get back to me pretty quickly, but from the videos, Amos seems to suggest that you could kind of hack a stereo effect using the technique you refer to in B, but I am operating under the assumption now that A is the case.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Hmmm....then I am wrong about that piece. Stay tuned....will refresh my memory on getting a stereo return.
It may be that I just went directly from effect to DAW inputs, which I prefer anyway.
Got it!!!!
I reread the manual snippet and it jogged my memory. Ring return. It works if you use a TRS cable into insert 2 as the return but pull it halfway out, or alternatively
(if memory serves) if you use another insert cable, plug the TRS side into the effect, and only the ring jack of the other side of the cable into insert 2.

Last edited by Phil Aiken; 6th October 2022 at 07:09 PM..
📝 Reply