The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog One - Owners Discussion
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I received a Moog One 16v yesterday, installed the latest firmware and here's a small review/info for anyone on the fence about this synth as well as a dilemma I'd like to get some opinions on:

The Good:

1. Build quality is unreal, I'm not sure if I'm alone on this but some things just inspire creativity for me by the way they look or feel and this definitely gives me that.
2. UI makes a pretty deep synth easy, I think Moog did a great job on the "more" buttons, it makes menu's not feel like menu diving. And easy to get around without having to look at the manual.
3. The sound! Its not a minimoog, its not a Memorymoog, it is it's own thing which is actually what i like about it, it can be a chameleon and do some classic moog sounds of course but it has its own flavor which I think is cool. I really love that SVF filter.
4. The fan noise imo is blown out of proportion even on "normal" mode. The fan makes a loud noise on startup and my first thought was "ah, now I get what people are talking about, sounds like a plane taking off" but once it boots its not bad, maybe turn the synth off if you are recording an acoustic or a solo vocal right next to it but no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be.

The Bad/Weird:
1. Right away I noticed tuning issues in the C1-C2 range. I let it warm up for about an hour or so, made no difference, then 3 hours, no difference. Ran the oscillator calibration, first time I ran it didn't really help, the second time I ran it seemed to help a bit more, tried it a third time and it's about the same as the second time. I then tried "oscillator compensation" feature, very weird sounding, it seems fine until I hear weird almost like "bowed" or pitched bending artifacts like it gets to an out of tune voice and then bends it in tune. Sounds better off than on imo. This is even on a "init" patch btw.

I have a decent amount of vintage synths, my Pro One is pretty alive sounding and the tuning is definitely vintage style, but the Moog one doesn't sound like that kind of out of tune, it sounds like the scaling is off in some of voices in the lower notes.

2. The hiss. Im at unity gain which apparently is about noon, anything past that is adding gain (or so I read, manual doesn't mention this). Regardless, I've tried it multiple ways (1 o'clock, 11 o'clock etc), -24db noise reduction setting instead of the -12 thats default, balanced and unbalanced cables, +4 or -10 on my Lynx Hilo mastering convertor, into the DI's on my Millenia preamps, effects on or off, synths 2 and 3 off etc. It's definitely the nosiest synth I own by far minus my aforementioned Pro One but that just has a ground hum that I need to fix.

3. It crashed on me while changing some of the presets in the strings category.

My dilemma:
Do you thing Moog can address this tuning issue via firmware or do you think its a design issue? I've read a lot of complaints about Moog not responding to customer service emails, so I'm asking here. I've contacted Moog 6 months ago about my Sub 37 and never got a response so that is a concern of mine. What about hiss?
I'm conflicted because I'm within the 30 day return window. I love the synths sound, features and interface but feel like tuning and noise are two MAJOR issues for me, Do I return it and see if Moog fixes this stuff or do I take a gamble?
Does anyone know when the last firmware was released and when the next one should be coming or what issues it addresses?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33psp33d ➡️
anyone ever have the m1 crash and reboot while you're your ballz deep in a patch? It's happened twice now. Both times when I clicked either 2 or more synths to be edited simultaneously. fn irritated.
Yes once. But not since creating my own name space. Are you on the factory one?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelgrind ➡️
I'm conflicted because I'm within the 30 day return window.
They are trying to fix these issues for a long time now and the longer it takes the more sure i am that it is impossible for some of them to be properly fixed.
So the chance that everything you mentioned gets fixed within the 30 days is very close to zero.
Be sure to multi-sample your favorite sounds before returning the synth.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm conflicted because I'm within the 30 day return window. I love the synths sound, features and interface but feel like tuning and noise are two MAJOR issues for me, Do I return it and see if Moog fixes this stuff or do I take a gamble?
Does anyone know when the last firmware was released and when the next one should be coming or what issues it addresses?
I was in exactly the same position 3 month ago. I loved the sound, the user interfaces, the design and the keyboard.

At the end I've send it back after 30 days. The tuning issues in the lower octaves and the fan noise was not for me.
The noisefloor bothered me as well but not so much (master volume max. at 1 o clock).
I did not like the sound of the tuning compensation.

I guess the tuning issues could be fixed with a firmware update. But the last update was in June last year.
Maybe I will buy one some time once there is a firmware update or hardware revision.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by taichber; 4 weeks ago at 06:54 AM.. Reason: typo
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichber ➡️
I was in exactly the same position 3 month ago. I loved the sound, the user interfaces, the design and the keyboard.

At the end I've send it back after 30 days. The tuning issues in the lower octaves and the fan noise was not for me.
The noisefloor bothered me as well but not so much (master volume max. at 1 o clock).
I did not like the sound of the tuning compensation.

I guess the tuning issues could be fixed with a firmware update. But the last update was in June last year.
Maybe I will be one some time once there is a firmware update or hardware revision.

Good luck with your decision.
Thank you, I will definitely think long and hard about it but I’m leaning towards a return as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyaguy ➡️
Yes once. But not since creating my own name space. Are you on the factory one?
Nope, Im in my own user space. It's happened 3x now so I def learned to start saving the patch before I try and utilize "edit more than 1 synth at once" functionality.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I am hoping to find some answers for strange behavior my Moog One is exhibiting, I'll do my best to try and explain.

When I load certain factory presets, I get no sound, tweak knobs still nothing, tried reloading preset from moog website, still the same.

When I am going through presets and selecting a timbre to add to a synth sometimes a preset will work and then suddenly stop being audible, the only way to get it back is to either select a hole different preset and not just for that synth but for all synths or a reboot.

Finally, occasionally when doing above, the timbre on a given synth is loaded, shows it loaded but the sound is init.

I reinstalled the latest firmware, no change to this behavior. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this bug either. I reloaded every preset from Moog's website after reinstalling the firmware.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I received a Moog One 16v yesterday, installed the latest firmware and here's a small review/info for anyone on the fence about this synth as well as a dilemma I'd like to get some opinions on:

The Good:

1. Build quality is unreal, I'm not sure if I'm alone on this but some things just inspire creativity for me by the way they look or feel and this definitely gives me that.
2. UI makes a pretty deep synth easy, I think Moog did a great job on the "more" buttons, it makes menu's not feel like menu diving. And easy to get around without having to look at the manual.
3. The sound! Its not a minimoog, its not a Memorymoog, it is it's own thing which is actually what i like about it, it can be a chameleon and do some classic moog sounds of course but it has its own flavor which I think is cool. I really love that SVF filter.
4. The fan noise imo is blown out of proportion even on "normal" mode. The fan makes a loud noise on startup and my first thought was "ah, now I get what people are talking about, sounds like a plane taking off" but once it boots its not bad, maybe turn the synth off if you are recording an acoustic or a solo vocal right next to it but no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be.

The Bad/Weird:
1. Right away I noticed tuning issues in the C1-C2 range. I let it warm up for about an hour or so, made no difference, then 3 hours, no difference. Ran the oscillator calibration, first time I ran it didn't really help, the second time I ran it seemed to help a bit more, tried it a third time and it's about the same as the second time. I then tried "oscillator compensation" feature, very weird sounding, it seems fine until I hear weird almost like "bowed" or pitched bending artifacts like it gets to an out of tune voice and then bends it in tune. Sounds better off than on imo. This is even on a "init" patch btw.

I have a decent amount of vintage synths, my Pro One is pretty alive sounding and the tuning is definitely vintage style, but the Moog one doesn't sound like that kind of out of tune, it sounds like the scaling is off in some of voices in the lower notes.

2. The hiss. Im at unity gain which apparently is about noon, anything past that is adding gain (or so I read, manual doesn't mention this). Regardless, I've tried it multiple ways (1 o'clock, 11 o'clock etc), -24db noise reduction setting instead of the -12 thats default, balanced and unbalanced cables, +4 or -10 on my Lynx Hilo mastering convertor, into the DI's on my Millenia preamps, effects on or off, synths 2 and 3 off etc. It's definitely the nosiest synth I own by far minus my aforementioned Pro One but that just has a ground hum that I need to fix.

3. It crashed on me while changing some of the presets in the strings category.

My dilemma:
Do you thing Moog can address this tuning issue via firmware or do you think its a design issue? I've read a lot of complaints about Moog not responding to customer service emails, so I'm asking here. I've contacted Moog 6 months ago about my Sub 37 and never got a response so that is a concern of mine. What about hiss?
I'm afraid some cognitive dissonance because of the brand name and/or price-point starts happening.

Ask yourself in an honest way:

Would you accept those flaws from a Behringer 900 euro synth? Strange tuning artifacts, high noise floor?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24framemedia ➡️
I am hoping to find some answers for strange behavior my Moog One is exhibiting, I'll do my best to try and explain.

When I load certain factory presets, I get no sound, tweak knobs still nothing, tried reloading preset from moog website, still the same.

When I am going through presets and selecting a timbre to add to a synth sometimes a preset will work and then suddenly stop being audible, the only way to get it back is to either select a hole different preset and not just for that synth but for all synths or a reboot.

Finally, occasionally when doing above, the timbre on a given synth is loaded, shows it loaded but the sound is init.

I reinstalled the latest firmware, no change to this behavior. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this bug either. I reloaded every preset from Moog's website after reinstalling the firmware.
Apart from something often overlooked like a faulty volume pedal connected to the synth, it sounds like your synth is broken.
So most probably only Moog can help you, if you are still in the warranty period.
Have you tried to load some older firmware ?
Or use the mysterious key combo for full calibration ?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Check the Polyphony settings, look at the voice allocation for the preset / synths 1,2, 3 etc. and how the voices are allocated. I've found some patches on mine where not playing, changed the alloactions in the Polyphony settings and got them to work.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukvoyager ➡️
Check the Polyphony settings, look at the voice allocation for the preset / synths 1,2, 3 etc. and how the voices are allocated. I've found some patches on mine where not playing, changed the alloactions in the Polyphony settings and got them to work.
Thanks, That didn't occur to me,, I will check this!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks, That didn't occur to me,, I will check this!
also make sure you dont have a midi feedback loop, some presets could have really fast note off. Using INIT patch hit a note, verify only 1 voice is used in the LED screen.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I would think that it should return to factory state after this.

Quote:
The fact that it worked for some time before dying kinda rules out the voice allocation settings.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt ➡️
I would think that it should return to factory state after this.

The fact that it worked for some time before dying kinda rules out the voice allocation settings.
No, these aren't new issues that just suddenly showed up, it's just certain presets and certain layering configurations. I don't utilize some of this stuff often enough. I haven't had it for more than a couple months, I did buy it second hand but the original owner never used presets at all. I'm pretty sure I am just missing something, warming it up now and going to check voice allocation on problematic presets and will report back what I find.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Ok tested one preset that wasn't working and it was voice allocation, so first question is if I re-downloaded the patches from the Moog website why in God's name would it be saved or loaded that way?
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol ➡️
I'm afraid some cognitive dissonance because of the brand name and/or price-point starts happening.

Ask yourself in an honest way:

Would you accept those flaws from a Behringer 900 euro synth? Strange tuning artifacts, high noise floor?
Thats a good point
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't think after proper gainstaging the noisefloor is high at all, it's not the quietest of the pack, but neither a pink noise monster.
when keeping main VCA's at 12:00, main volume somewhere around 12:00 as well, FX section off, or a clean Effect (no vintage noisy bucket delay or something like that) It's not far away from a BOOG or Mother-32, which are mono's this one is 16 voice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Running the MoogOne at 75-80% loudness here into a Prism Orpheus balanced ofc. Never had any noise issues whatsoever. Maybe it's a little more sensitive to impedance than the odd synth out there?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ok tested one preset that wasn't working and it was voice allocation, so first question is if I re-downloaded the patches from the Moog website why in God's name would it be saved or loaded that way?
What version firmware are you running and did you recreate the factory patch set?
Gear Maniac

From Moog when updating firmware versions:

“updated Factory Presets can be accessed by creating a new user space using the “Create Factory” option.”

This might resolve the issues you have with factory presets as it recreates the latest version of those presets matched to that particular firmware version into a new user space. Once created, switch to this new user space and see if it resolves your issues with the patches in question.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thats a good point
Not really. Aside from the fact that these statements are questionable (I have no issues with noise floor, and honestly the tuning seems fine to me, though others have complained), it's a false equivalence and an irrelevant comparison. The One is a profoundly complex synthesizer. It checks many boxes. If you prioritize certain features over others, even if there were certain issues, they might be overlooked. Otherwise, if it were a Behringer synth, and were very cheap, and checked other boxes, yes certain flaws might be overlooked. Regardless, the cognitive dissonance and other psych related arguments presented here are irrelevant and at times offensive, and is the reason the owner's thread was started. Would it be possible to keep this commentary to the general thread and perhaps leave user's here to discuss how they use this instrument?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinamsis ➡️
Not really. Aside from the fact that these statements are questionable (I have no issues with noise floor, and honestly the tuning seems fine to me, though others have complained)
That is the reason i always prefer talking in numbers when the topic is technical.
One person will have great hearing and anothers ears might be destroyed by doing many super loud live shows, or accustomed to high noise environment like a big city with a busy road nearby.
One has perfect pitch, but someone else will not care if the synth is 30 cents off in low octaves or if it has strange warbly timbre when the compensation is on.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinamsis ➡️
Not really. Aside from the fact that these statements are questionable (I have no issues with noise floor, and honestly the tuning seems fine to me, though others have complained), it's a false equivalence and an irrelevant comparison. The One is a profoundly complex synthesizer. It checks many boxes. If you prioritize certain features over others, even if there were certain issues, they might be overlooked. Otherwise, if it were a Behringer synth, and were very cheap, and checked other boxes, yes certain flaws might be overlooked. Regardless, the cognitive dissonance and other psych related arguments presented here are irrelevant and at times offensive, and is the reason the owner's thread was started. Would it be possible to keep this commentary to the general thread and perhaps leave user's here to discuss how they use this instrument?
Yeah that argument gets applied to just about every brand—Elektron, Sequential, Waldorf, Modal, etc. What it generally comes down to is that every synth has something that someone won’t like. The same dude will pop up in every Elektron thread because he couldn’t get Overbridge to work with his Rytm or another will **** talk every Waldorf because the Blofeld’s LFOs don’t sync. The same type of accusations happen with cheaper synths: “You only like like it because it’s cheap.” Truth is, different people want different things and some may not care about things that are super important to other people.

I’ve not had tuning issues with the Moog One, I don’t care about the weird tuning compensation because I don’t use it, and the noise floor is perfectly acceptable. The fact that there’s no arp latch mode for the sustain pedal really annoys me though. But I’m not going to claim that everyone else who isn’t complaining about it is experiencing cognitive dissonance.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

If the noise or tuning isn’t an issue for you guys, more power to you. I’m not asking you to change your opinion. It was an issue for me. My “good point comment was in response to the fact that maybe I was letting it slide a little because it’s a Moog and loved the build quality/feel, look and UI and checked off a lot of boxes for me. Not every synth is for every person but I actually really really liked the sound...but for ME the tuning was beyond what I deemed acceptable...again, I love vintage tuning fluctuations, I own/owned lots of vintage pieces. That wasn’t what I, nor a few others on this board heard in the lower octaves. Maybe mine and some others on here were faulty, but since I was within my 30 day return window I sent it back. After Moog customer service never responded to my emails from my Sub 37 (I thought it was one email, I actually sent them two with no response). I decided it’s not worth the trouble. Maybe I’ll get another one day that I can try out in person, or see if they come up with a better/different solution than the tuning compensation band aid they have now.
Gear Addict

Quote:
If the noise or tuning isn’t an issue for you guys, more power to you. I’m not asking you to change your opinion. It was an issue for me. My “good point comment was in response to the fact that maybe I was letting it slide a little because it’s a Moog and loved the build quality/feel, look and UI and checked off a lot of boxes for me. Not every synth is for every person but I actually really really liked the sound...but for ME the tuning was beyond what I deemed acceptable...again, I love vintage tuning fluctuations, I own/owned lots of vintage pieces. That wasn’t what I, nor a few others on this board heard in the lower octaves. Maybe mine and some others on here were faulty, but since I was within my 30 day return window I sent it back. After Moog customer service never responded to my emails from my Sub 37 (I thought it was one email, I actually sent them two with no response). I decided it’s not worth the trouble. Maybe I’ll get another one day that I can try out in person, or see if they come up with a better/different solution than the tuning compensation band aid they have now.
Yeah... but that has nothing to do with the lazy and silly "cognitive dissonance" argument. You found a synth you enjoyed for various reasons. It had shortcomings. You decided you couldn't accept those shortcomings. That's understandable. You didn't feel the need to bring psychiatry into the discussion.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33psp33d ➡️
I just ran it again yesterday. It took 3 attempts as it was stuck on step 6 => 2x.
Once you do the button press combination you must then scroll the settings menu. Calibration is at the bottom.
I need to run this calibration routine on mine - I was about to give it a go earlier today but I figured I should do a little more research about it (I've also contacted Moog but haven't yet heard back from them and I'm getting impatient haha!)
After asking around in a couple different forums, someone mentioned that part of the procedure involves connecting ins to outs, so I'm glad I didn't just go ahead and click calibrate! Can you confirm? (also, there are those other options in there too, System Calibration, restore legacy settings, etc... and I'm curious about how those all work too so if anybody has any insight, please chime in!)
Would you mind walking me through the steps to do this deep calibration? I read in one of the M1 Facebook groups that if you do it wrong, you run the risk of damaging the synth....
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistyBusiness ➡️
I need to run this calibration routine on mine - I was about to give it a go earlier today but I figured I should do a little more research about it (I've also contacted Moog but haven't yet heard back from them and I'm getting impatient haha!)
After asking around in a couple different forums, someone mentioned that part of the procedure involves connecting ins to outs, so I'm glad I didn't just go ahead and click calibrate! Can you confirm? (also, there are those other options in there too, System Calibration, restore legacy settings, etc... and I'm curious about how those all work too so if anybody has any insight, please chime in!)
Would you mind walking me through the steps to do this deep calibration? I read in one of the M1 Facebook groups that if you do it wrong, you run the risk of damaging the synth....
Have you tried chatting or calling? If I had problems with mine and there were some mystery calibration floating around I'd rather get it from the source. It's possible that it's changed over time as well.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe mine and some others on here were faulty, but since I was within my 30 day return window I sent it back. After Moog customer service never responded to my emails from my Sub 37 (I thought it was one email, I actually sent them two with no response). I decided it’s not worth the trouble. Maybe I’ll get another one day that I can try out in person, or see if they come up with a better/different solution than the tuning compensation band aid they have now.
It was probably a fixable problem that could have been addressed with a chat with or call to Moog support. Sounds like you decided to return it rather than seek support. But there are thousands of users who don't have tuning issues so it's not like it's an inherent issue so I'm sure if you get a new one and have issues support can help.

Just about every device I've ever owned has had some issue that people report in their respective threads--software bug, misbehaving VCO, faulty jack, etc. And just about all of them were addressed if someone reached out to the company's support--unless the product just wasn't supported anymore.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
It was probably a fixable problem that could have been addressed with a chat with or call to Moog support. Sounds like you decided to return it rather than seek support. But there are thousands of users who don't have tuning issues so it's not like it's an inherent issue so I'm sure if you get a new one and have issues support can help.

Just about every device I've ever owned has had some issue that people report in their respective threads--software bug, misbehaving VCO, faulty jack, etc. And just about all of them were addressed if someone reached out to the company's support--unless the product just wasn't supported anymore.
Absolutely, I’m not writing off the synth, just made the choice since I was within my return period and was ghosted in the past my Moog support a couple of times. I’m sure if I gave them a call I could have sorted it, but then again, why have a contact form for customer service on the website. That was what I used, which is pretty much standard practice for all manufacturers nowadays.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
But there are thousands of users who don't have tuning issues
How exactly do you know that ?
We only have a small sample of like 20-50 units on this forum.
Or are you in position that gives you access to a wider set of data ?
And how many of these are just people who are tone deaf, or working around the problem by not using this synth for bass duties, or using the software compensation that degrades sound quality ?

Quote:
so it's not like it's an inherent issue
Moog Music worked hard for many months to fix it in firmware, there is no way they would do that if it was limited to just few units.

Quote:
so I'm sure if you get a new one and have issues support can help.
WOW ! You are so sure.
"Everything is and will be OK, because it is Moog."
If they respond within 30 days of the return period...
📝 Reply