Quantcast
Roland System 8 Midi Sync - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland System 8 Midi Sync
Old 3rd August 2018
Roland System 8 Midi Sync

Hi!

First post on here so bare with me!

I've been testing out a Roland System-8 which I really like, but wondering if anyone have any experience to share with it's ability to sync to an external-clock? (Ableton)

I've been using a Prophet 6 for the last year but it can't handle the constant stress of being on the road 200 days a year so it breaks down quite often and it's ability to sync to an external clock is simply dreadful.

I play in a quite polished pop-production so arpeggios wildly out of time is in general not very warmly welcomed.. Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 3rd August 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Vinje ➡️
Hi!

First post on here so bare with me!

I've been testing out a Roland System-8 which I really like, but wondering if anyone have any experience to share with it's ability to sync to an external-clock? (Ableton)

I've been using a Prophet 6 for the last year but it can't handle the constant stress of being on the road 200 days a year so it breaks down quite often and it's ability to sync to an external clock is simply dreadful.

I play in a quite polished pop-production so arpeggios wildly out of time is in general not very warmly welcomed.. Thanks for your help in advance!
It works for me, I am also using Ableton. System 8 connected via USB. In Ableton Preferences you have to activate Sync for that Midi device OUT, on the System 8 there is a setting called Tempo Sync which should be on Auto (AUTO, MIDI, USB, INT can be selected)

From the manual:If this is set to AUTO, the tempo automatically synchronizes to MIDI clock if MIDI clock is input via the MIDI IN connector or the USB port. If this is set to INT, the tempo specified on the SYSTEM-8 itself is used

Also you can set the System 8 to start/stop via Midi with the Rx StartStop setting.
Old 6th August 2018
Thanks for the answer man.

And you have no problems getting arppegios properly synced?

Typically what would happen on the prophet was that if I hit the key a milli-second to late the whole duration would be slightly off as it didn't sync per beat but only to tempo.

I guess what I'm asking is if the System-8 syncs to tempo-per-beat? Instead of just tempo which seems to be the case with the Prophet 6..
📝 Reply