The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer MS-101 Analogue Synthesizer
Old 22nd April 2019 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
This explains several one-star reviews that have popped up on the MS-101 thomann page. I hope it's just a software thing and it just needs some software update to start working faultlessly. Hopefully Behringer will resolve the issue ASAP, they're probably working on it as we speak.
Deleted 8ce28dc
mine is still functioning 4 days on, but you never know anything could happen down the line! behringer are supposedly releasing a firmware fix this week. every possibility that magikroom's 101 problem could be key scanning, but it could be anything!
Deleted b472e31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 8ce28dc ➡️
mine is still functioning 4 days on, but you never know anything could happen down the line! behringer are supposedly releasing a firmware fix this week. every possibility that magikroom's 101 problem could be key scanning, but it could be anything!
you were lucky, is probably on 18db filter
everything VCS3 or what

it is already monday, in china there is no easter and still no update in sight..and the ms101 is the only synth in the setup
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey13 ➡️
This explains several one-star reviews that have popped up on the MS-101 thomann page. I hope it's just a software thing and it just needs some software update to start working faultlessly. Hopefully Behringer will resolve the issue ASAP, they're probably working on it as we speak.
German review - ****

Price / performance, sound and workmanship are top for the price!
The case as well as the pots and faders are made of plastic but they are very sturdy. As well as no wobble etc. Since I have no original Sh 101 I can not judge exactly how much the MS-101 is similar to the Sh 101. The quality of the case and the faders strongly remind me of mine
Tr-707th Nevertheless, there is a small point deduction.
Unfortunately there is "jitter problem" as soon as the sequencer is triggered externally with the help of a drum machine + DAW. Masterclock DAW - TR-707 Rim Trigger - MS-101 - Jitter :(
The problem only occurs when you generate the master clock in the DAW. With the Tr-707 internal clock, the triggering works but without problems.

UK review - *****

the build quality is as good as Rolands originals easily,and the sound is bang on will be investing in the Behringer range as they now have my attention big time....Thank You For the hard Work........................ Behringer 1 Roland 0....

French review - *

Lunch in Din does not work, the trig either, so rushed output for a product whose firmware is to review very quickly.
This is all the more unfortunate that the sound is frankly successful, the FM bringing a big plus.
And what a look, I'm under the spell ...
but Behringer must quickly see his copy, not cool to release unfinished products and not tested at the factory (the midi in Din, it's huge, anyway!)

Another rating with 1 star gave no review.
Lives for gear

I haven't found the lack of midi or the external clock an issue as I very rarely use midi, I prefer CV&Gate. So other than those known issues mines been pretty spot on.

Build quality for the price point is good and it sounds great.

Maybe I'm too easily pleased, but I like to just get stuck into stuff and ejoy it for what it is
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikroom ➡️
Came in to do a review of the ms-101 today, after my live stream last night and it's developed a fault. Maybe as it cooled overnight?

It's a shame as it sounds great.
what fault has it developed?

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 ➡️
what fault has it developed?
It's in the video
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It's in the video
ah ok. mistook that for the previous video.
well that's disappointing. what a downer.
-calibration issue?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey13 ➡️
As I said, wait for the blue version. :p
Gear Head
Quote:
It's in the video
I watched your earlier video and on the strength of that I preordered the Ms 101 blu due to drop in August. Pity about its current state though.
Old 22nd April 2019
Deleted 153c85c
We have now created a firmware update and we’re planning to provide a test version to people affected by the bug.
I suggest you drop me a PM with your email address so our engineering department can send you the update.

We have discovered that an internal memory overflow occurs when the sequencer is extensively used resulting in a subsequent disruption of the keyboard scanner since it’s all running on the same processor.

The new firmware should solve this issue but we would appreciate your help in verifying the firmware update.

Thanks a lot!

Uli

Last edited by Deleted 153c85c; 22nd April 2019 at 03:43 PM..
Deleted b472e31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer ➡️
We have now created a firmware update and we’re planning to provide a test version to people affected by the bug.
I suggest you drop me a PM with your email address so our engineering department can send you the update.

We have discovered that an internal memory overflow occurs when the sequencer is extensively used resulting in a subsequent disruption of the keyboard scanner since this all running on the same processor.

The new firmware should solve this issue but we would appreciate your help in verifying the firmware update.

Thanks a lot!

Uli
That's what I call support, within days and not months
Old 22nd April 2019
Deleted 43e8601
Quote:
We have discovered that an internal memory overflow occurs
Uh uh, someone forgot to run valgrind on the dev release before pushing to production
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➡️
[COLOR="Indigo"]my apologies for sleeping on the job. For some strange reason, my brain just stopped working after it got dark, and I slipped into a sort of coma. It happens every day, but does seem to have no adverse effects.
I apologise for my rather sharp thought-bubble.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by re5etuk ➡️
I’m sure they know what they’re doing , which is why midi not working is quite a surprise
Im also aware that sometimes products ship with known issues and fixes waiting (I’ve made games for 30 yrs , fully aware big AAA titles with QA teams of 500+ for months still come out with bugs , but I suspect games are more complicated)

I expect it’ll be fixed next week with a few more tweaks in the coming months. I hope to buy one soon .
And yes , it’s encouraging that someone from behringer has visited the forum with an update .
It’s Apples to Oranges. Games have multimillion dollar budgets and take years to develop. Whereas synths are generally made by a handful of people. The Arkham games shipped with missing features on PC. Who knows how that got past QA.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Exactly , I know things can spring up , hopefully good/bad experiences can help improve the next products.
Old 23rd April 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I like this one(am I allowed to like my own tunes ? )

Its the 101 and a Polymath with Techno System Percusion filtered through my modular.

I think they play together well and got that "**** yeah" feeling as I made it

I setup the mixer prior to recording to exaggerate the 101 and make it more prominent in the recording
so its sounds came across as it was primarily a video for the 101 as I've done dozens of Polymath videos

Its a direct stereo recording from the mixer no post processing and done live as usual.
Lives for gear

I got an email from Behringers head software engineer apologising for the faults and saying the fix is being tested at the moment and should be sent to me in a couple of days.

have to say thats good service, never experienced that level of engagement with a manufacturer before!

And i didnt even complain about the faults, just enjoyed what worked

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyP ➡️
I got an email from Behringers head software engineer apologising for the faults and saying the fix is being tested at the moment and should be sent to me in a couple of days.

have to say thats good service, never experienced that level of engagement with a manufacturer before!

I wasn’t exactly complaining, not about the faults, it was because the previous evening I did a live stream praising the 101 and the vc340, about the quality of the sound, the construction, only for the next day, which I planned to film a full review and it wasn’t working correctly...was a bit of a come down, so I filmed the fault, mainly for the dealer to see the issue and deal with accordingly, having recently paid for a Waldorf Quantum that was bashed to hell on delivery.

It’s great that it looks like it is firmware fixable, it’s a relief as the whole sending stuff back and getting a refund can be a nightmare, plus I always film opening the box and faults, as i’ve been refused refunds from dealers in the past and been blamed, so now I document everything...you may think it’s extreme, but i’ve bought a lot of gear over 30 years and some experiences, mainly dealers have been frustrating.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobhead ➡️

external sequencing via usb at 5:05
Sequencer looks like fun. Sonically it sounds muffled compared to rawer tones of the BSII.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wasn’t exactly complaining, not about the faults, it was because the previous evening I did a live stream praising the 101 and the vc340, about the quality of the sound, the construction, only for the next day, which I planned to film a full review and it wasn’t working correctly...was a bit of a come down, so I filmed the fault, mainly for the dealer to see the issue and deal with accordingly, having recently paid for a Waldorf Quantum that was bashed to hell on delivery.

It’s great that it looks like it is firmware fixable, it’s a relief as the whole sending stuff back and getting a refund can be a nightmare, plus I always film opening the box and faults, as i’ve been refused refunds from dealers in the past and been blamed, so now I document everything...you may think it’s extreme, but i’ve bought a lot of gear over 30 years and some experiences, mainly dealers have been frustrating.
I hope you didn't think that my comment was aimed at anyone/you. It's just my outlook in general I've enjoyed your videos in the past and your comments where fully justifiable,

I just have a get on with it and it'll work out attitude. Had to clear that up as I don't want to have caused any offence
Lives for gear

Same here!

That combined with Uli posting here shows us that behringer cares about after sales service and watches the user community and takes their remarks seriously.

Now let's hope the firmware is waiting for me after the holidays and that it fixes our problems.

Quote:

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I hope you didn't think that my comment was aimed at anyone/you. It's just my outlook in general I've enjoyed your videos in the past and your comments where fully justifiable,

I just have a get on with it and it'll work out attitude. Had to clear that up as I don't want to have caused any offence
Nah mate, I just had a **** week or 2 with gear going wrong, no offence taken
Old 24th April 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Any specific reason as to why the video showing the fault was pulled from Youtube ?

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 ➡️
Any specific reason as to why the video showing the fault was pulled from Youtube ?
If an engineer is in the game, guess why. I mean, a company trying to cannibalize an entire market...thats not an easy task.

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 ➡️
Because a fix is being done, seemed pointless to leave it there...besides, I did it for the dealer to see for refund/exchange possibility, as I hate having to quibble with them...They've got back to me, so no need now...Nothing to do with Behringer, I have no professional or personal dealings with them, in case that was the thought.
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Sure does sound meaty the few demos I've heard..
Old 24th April 2019
Here for the gear

Hi, also my MS101 the same problems with the midi in port, and sync with the DAW.
How do I request the new firmware? at what email address should I send the request?

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gionata ➡️
Hi, also my MS101 the same problems with the midi in port, and sync with the DAW.
How do I request the new firmware? at what email address should I send the request?
You send a PM to Uli, I think. See above.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Has anyone managed to get the sequencer to start via MIDI from an external source?
📝 Reply