The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer RD-8 Analog Drum Machine
Old 6th April 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludar ➡️
You don't have a sync issue? I repeat my earlier question for you too:

"Can you make a short recording preview please? Slave your RD-8 sequencer to another device and record both together, make several starts and stops."

If there was a hardware change at some point and newer ones does not have sync horror I will replace mine. It is important to know this fix is true and not just a myth.

At the moment there is no single proof the fix was made.
Are we talking about USB and/or DIN MIDI? Mine doesn't sync well with Cubase as master by USB MIDI. But with BeatStep Pro as master by DIN MIDI it worked very well last weekend with numerous starts, stops and tempo changes. I can see if I have time to do some recordings this week.

1912xxx
v1.3.5

Last edited by drglas; 6th April 2020 at 04:28 PM..
Old 6th April 2020
Lives for gear

I think it could also be helpful if people include their firmware and model (rimzilla or the later revision) info with their sync reports
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c ➡️
i think it could also be helpful if people include their firmware and model (rimzilla or the later revision) info with their sync reports
v1.3.5.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I think it could also be helpful if people include their firmware and model (rimzilla or the later revision) info with their sync reports
1.1.8 I’m getting ready to update firmware.
Old 6th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just updated to 1.3.5 I’m trying to make a pattern, simple. Just kicks. It randomly misses some. Same when I add snare and hats.

Update: I just did a system restore and everything seems to working.

Last edited by Musicncars; 6th April 2020 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 6th April 2020
Lives for gear

Im on 1.2.6 (rimzilla model)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Im on 1.2.6 (rimzilla model)
What’s rimzilla?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicncars ➡️
What’s rimzilla?
the earlier batch revision with the inconsistent rimshot level. It became a meme somewhere along this thread
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
the earlier batch revision with the inconsistent rimshot level. It became a meme somewhere along this thread
Is there a solution for it? I just started messing with mine. I updated the firmware, and am starting to learn how to program
It. I have t even tried the rimshot yet. Lol. I guess I’ll found out if I have the rimzilla.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez ➡️
just leaked- new euro modules?

keeping the legend alive
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
keeping the legend alive
Long live Rimzilla.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
keeping the legend alive
Ext trig = missed bat hit
Old 7th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Edit: N/m, think i figured it out.

Last edited by chaosium; 7th April 2020 at 05:53 AM..
Old 7th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Has anyone got the previous firmware update? The one that takes it from 1.1.8 to 1.2.6? I'm on the latter now and will get to 1.3.6 eventually, but might prefer 1.2.6 - besides, the firmware version number is hard coded into all the Sysex messages.

I'm confused with serial number, mine is S200100253DG5 (1.2.6) - which part of that number do we refer in here?

Done a quick test: Rim Shot vs Claves volume levels seem comparable.

Tease, my SoundDiver Adpt. - showing some of the data in PATTERN mode. There's a ton more.
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer RD-8 Analog Drum Machine-sd-patt-clip.jpg  

Last edited by RetroFunk; 7th April 2020 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: rim/clave & SD pik
Gear Nut

Thanks Markus, will look out for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusschloesser ➡️
happened here when just doing "live step sequencing". meaning let ableton run and record, sending midi clock to the rd8, and entering the steps while the whole songs plays thru.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludar ➡️
If that is true I have (and many others) a broken unit and yours is not. Can you make a short recording preview please? Slave your RD-8 sequencer to another device and record both together, make several starts and stops.

Im highly suspicious but would love to be proven wrong.
Yea sure. Next time I write a song with it I could do that. You want a metronome sound with it as a reference sound or rather pictures of the recording on the grid?

To be clear here and not waste anyone's time, the recording is tight af on the grid, except for the very first hit at the start of the recording, which obviously has to lag as the machine is just getting the start signal.

If I nudge my recording, I only do it cause all my other gear runs late a little. I could just as well nudge my other gear to the front.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausi ➡️
Yea sure. Next time I write a song with it I could do that. You want a metronome sound with it as a reference sound or rather pictures of the recording on the grid?

To be clear here and not waste anyone's time, the recording is tight af on the grid, except for the very first hit at the start of the recording, which obviously has to lag as the machine is just getting the start signal.

If I nudge my recording, I only do it cause all my other gear runs late a little. I could just as well nudge my other gear to the front.
It would be perfectly fine to just record live audio for fev seconds, rd-8 that we all spot for sure and something else maybe another kick or percussion. Its very easy to hear horror when it happens.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroFunk ➡️
I'm confused with serial number, mine is S200100253DG5 (1.2.6) - which part of that number do we refer in here?

Done a quick test: Rim Shot vs Claves volume levels seem comparable.
Presumably yours was manufactured in January 2020. The fixed rimshot volume starts appearing in S1912 (presumably December 2019) units. Sweetwater replaces my 1908 unit but I got a 1909 unit which still has the rimshot issue. Their support was going to test by pulling a 1912 unit and send me another replacement but then they were all sent home.
Old 7th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks ima_jrk - now you point it out, it's obvious! (the date code thing)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima_jrk ➡️
Presumably yours was manufactured in January 2020. The fixed rimshot volume starts appearing in S1912 (presumably December 2019) units. Sweetwater replaces my 1908 unit but I got a 1909 unit which still has the rimshot issue. Their support was going to test by pulling a 1912 unit and send me another replacement but then they were all sent home.
I have a 1909, what’s the issue? Volume on rimshot changes randomly?
Gear Addict

The rimshot is 20+ dB louder than the clave.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima_jrk ➡️
The rimshot is 20+ dB louder than the clave.
Oh.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicncars ➡️
Is there a solution for it? I just started messing with mine. I updated the firmware, and am starting to learn how to program
It. I have t even tried the rimshot yet. Lol. I guess I’ll found out if I have the rimzilla.
Is it a problem to just adjust the Volume?
It´s only a "problem" in a "supercoollivejam" setting.

You may have to adjust all volumes, when switching between patterns, to get the patterns specific feeling.

So this "rimshot volume issue" is not really a problem.

It´s the same with problems ala "noisy switching between patterns when Designer/Filter is on (but set to pattern...)

But that´s just my opinion
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KomaBot ➡️
Is it a problem to just adjust the Volume?
It´s only a "problem" in a "supercoollivejam" setting.

You may have to adjust all volumes, when switching between patterns, to get the patterns specific feeling.

So this "rimshot volume issue" is not really a problem.

It´s the same with problems ala "noisy switching between patterns when Designer/Filter is on (but set to pattern...)

But that´s just my opinion
Honestly, I’ll probably never use it in a live jam setting.
Old 7th April 2020
Lives for gear

I dont personally mind the rimzilla. Easy enough to turn the level down before switching the rimshot circuit on

Its just a small idiosyncracy.
Old 7th April 2020
maybe stoopid - but only learned recently that when you have the tom/conga switches in betwen you get a "third" sound (cool) - was that a thing on the 808 as well?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez ➡️
maybe stoopid - but only learned recently that when you have the tom/conga switches in betwen you get a "third" sound (cool) - was that a thing on the 808 as well?
reminds me of motorcycles, where you can hold the light switch in the middle position, low and high beam at the same time ..
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch ➡️
reminds me of motorcycles, where you can hold the light switch in the middle position, low and high beam at the same time ..
And how legend says guitar players used matchsticks for in between pickup selection with early Fender 3-way switches!
Old 8th April 2020
Lives for gear

Someone was asking about syncing the RD8 with other equipment and how stable it was.

Answer, very stable. Proof, this little 80s disco loop I made. RD8 and DM12 are both slaved via DIN MIDI to FL Studio. VSDSX is a VSTi so it acts as a the target.

The only drift is my half-arsed playing with that brass line at nine this morning.

Also, fun discovery. Want the RD8 to stop skipping the first note? Press stop on the machine after you stop your DAW. It must reset it's internal song pointer.
Old 9th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Make beats, not war
📝 Reply