The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Omnisphere 2.5 - new built-in hardware integration
Old 16th April 2022 | Show parent
  #511
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
I can’t speak to the JP8000, but I’ve tried my Prophet 6 and 12 in that mode and they sound amazingly different in every way. I don’t mean the patches sound bad, far from it, but it’s almost weird to think that someone made them and thought they were in the neighborhood of the hardware synth.
i just tried the jp 8000 patches and supersaws and youre right its not close at all.
Old 16th April 2022 | Show parent
  #512
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich ➡️
Omnisphere doesn’t “create” JP 8000 oscillators. By “integrating”, Spectrasonics means you can control an external hardware synth FROM WITHIN OMNISPHERE, as if it was part of Omnisphere itself.

The hardware integration is really nothing more than an editor interface for external synths. It doesn’t recreate an external hardware synth inside Omnisphere.
I don’t have omnisphere but I believe is the other way around, meaning you control omnisphere’s jp8000 “model” from your actual synth
All the sounds are created from omnisphere , none from the actual synth
Old 16th April 2022 | Show parent
  #513
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysplex ➡️
I don’t have omnisphere but I believe is the other way around, meaning you control omnisphere’s jp8000 “model” from your actual synth
All the sounds are created from omnisphere , none from the actual synth
This is from the manual:

“ Hardware Synth Integration transforms popular hardware synthesizers into hands-on controllers for Omnisphere’s extensive synthesis capabilities. Bridging the gap between software and hardware, this feature allows users to create and modify sounds in an intuitive way by using the familiar controls and layout of their supported hardware synths, all with minimal setup.

Each hardware profile has a corresponding set of sounds in the Hardware Library which were specially designed using that hardware synth as an Omnisphere controller.”

In other words, it turns your Prophet 6 or JP-8000 or
OB-6 into a CONTROLLER for Omnisphere. There are no
“models” of specific hardware synths inside Omnisphere. If there were, you could just call them up like you would an Arturia or G-force synth right inside Omnisphere and you wouldn’t need the actual hardware synths to do that.
Old 16th April 2022 | Show parent
  #514
Lives for gear
 
BobTheDog's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
You don't need the hardware synths:
Attached Thumbnails
Omnisphere 2.5 - new built-in hardware integration-screenshot-2022-04-16-15.55.11.png  
Old 16th April 2022 | Show parent
  #515
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich ➡️
This is from the manual:


In other words, it turns your Prophet 6 or JP-8000 or
OB-6 into a CONTROLLER for Omnisphere. There are no
“models” of specific hardware synths inside Omnisphere. If there were, you could just call them up like you would an Arturia or G-force synth right inside Omnisphere and you wouldn’t need the actual hardware synths to do that.
That is what I wrote
You said that hardware intergration turns omnisphere into an editor for your hardware synth
Old 16th April 2022 | Show parent
  #516
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog ➡️
You don't need the hardware synths:
Ecxaclty this
Old 16th April 2022 | Show parent
  #517
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich ➡️
This is from the manual:

“ Hardware Synth Integration transforms popular hardware synthesizers into hands-on controllers for Omnisphere’s extensive synthesis capabilities. Bridging the gap between software and hardware, this feature allows users to create and modify sounds in an intuitive way by using the familiar controls and layout of their supported hardware synths, all with minimal setup.

Each hardware profile has a corresponding set of sounds in the Hardware Library which were specially designed using that hardware synth as an Omnisphere controller.”

In other words, it turns your Prophet 6 or JP-8000 or
OB-6 into a CONTROLLER for Omnisphere. There are no
“models” of specific hardware synths inside Omnisphere. If there were, you could just call them up like you would an Arturia or G-force synth right inside Omnisphere and you wouldn’t need the actual hardware synths to do that.
Hardware control is one of the most disappointing features for me. It takes control away from the user by locking in the specific model of controller rather than just using it as default. I honestly ended up hating it, and it’s one reason I bought Omni - and also one reason it’s been uninstalled and will probably be sold in the coming months.

I never use generic control mapping to hardware- easier for me to just use a mouse.
Old 16th April 2022 | Show parent
  #518
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysplex ➡️
That is what I wrote
You said that hardware intergration turns omnisphere into an editor for your hardware synth
I stand corrected.
Old 16th April 2022 | Show parent
  #519
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
Hardware control is one of the most disappointing features for me. It takes control away from the user by locking in the specific model of controller rather than just using it as default. I honestly hated it and it’s one reason i bought Omni and also one reason it’s been uninstalled and will probably be sold in the coming months.

I never use generic control mapping to hardware- easier for me to just use a mouse.
I use Omnisphere constantly. However, the Hardware Integration always struck me as a gimmick. I never used it..no need.
Old 17th April 2022 | Show parent
  #520
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
I have to disagree. At least with the Behringer Deep Mind 12D I get a ton of hands on control, without ever having to look at the Omnisphere UI. It's perfect for noodling around with Omnisphere while watching Netflix or something, when I don't want the actual sound of the DM 12.

It works just as advertised and you can go and change the default oscillators to something much more interesting, and still have full control of all the preassigned controls. This makes it very convenient and easy to use.

Granted, the more physical controls you have available on the hardware, the more useful the feature is. So if you have a rather simple synth, then it's not going to be that useful.. but if you have control over tons of parameters (which the DM12 has) then it's super fun to use as a dedicated hands-on controller.
Old 18th April 2022
  #521
Lives for gear
 
Fleer's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
So what about new hardware additions? Been some time.
Old 18th April 2022 | Show parent
  #522
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic ➡️
It works just as advertised and you can go and change the default oscillators to something much more interesting, and still have full control of all the preassigned controls. This makes it very convenient and easy to use.
So you found a way to make it so that if you change, say, an oscillator to one from a different synth (eg from a Roland to a Moog ladder) so that as soon you touch the osc volume on the hardware it will NOT revert to the initial osc type (i.e. from Moog to Roland)?

I never could find such a way to prevent that, which is why I said it takes control away from the user.
Old 18th April 2022 | Show parent
  #523
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
So you found a way to make it so that if you change, say, an oscillator to one from a different synth (eg from a Roland to a Moog ladder) so that as soon you touch the osc volume on the hardware it will NOT revert to the initial osc type (i.e. from Moog to Roland)?

I never could find such a way to prevent that, which is why I said it takes control away from the user.
Yes and no. There are certain functions that do reset some options, like for instance the filter switch. If I press that, then the selected filter changes. But it doesn't change when I'm simply tweaking the cutoff, resonance or any of the envelope/LFO settings.

Oscillators never seem to switch unless I turn them on/off again with the buttons.

Also, you can Right Click any of the parameters and unlearn the NRPN. For instance, if your filter or oscillator type keeps changing, simply right click it and unlearn the NRPN associated with the feature.

More info here: https://support.spectrasonics.net/ma...ve-user-tweaks

EDIT: And I just tweaked the Behringer DeepMind template so that I can edit a lot more parameters from the front panel! The "MIDI Learn CC" option actually listens to NRPN messages too, thus I can even tweak menu options and have it work. So now I have tons of control over everything in Omnisphere through the DM12's mod mapping menu.

I can only imagine what an absolute beast of a controller the Arturia PolyBrute for this would be if they ever implement it (and it sends NRPN messages.. not sure about that).

Last edited by bmanic; 18th April 2022 at 11:18 PM..
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 7782 views: 1072885
Avatar for korpinen
korpinen 5 hours ago
replies: 151 views: 32806
Avatar for znature
znature 6th February 2015
replies: 441 views: 86705
Avatar for Deleted 5a55dd9
Deleted 5a55dd9 5th September 2020
replies: 53 views: 10155
Avatar for modalmojo
modalmojo 25th August 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump