The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A synth like OB-6 that's not as expensive as OB-6?
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

A synth like OB-6 that's not as expensive as OB-6?

So I'm looking for a hardware polysynth to extend and offer some tonal differences from the Waldorf Pulse 2.

I've checked through

-Studiologic Sledge 2 (whose sound I don't like)
-DM6/DM12 (whose sound I don't like)
-Prophet 08 Rev 2, which sounds okay, but for some reason I actually prefer the sound and features of U-he Repro-5 over it.

When I stumbled upon the OB-6 I was instantly impressed with the sound, but it carries a premium price. I.e. it's too expensive.

There are OB-X software emulations that are good, but I could go for the real thing in this case.

But is there anything that'd sound similar to OB-6, but be $1500 max?

Last edited by soundmodel; 23rd April 2018 at 09:08 AM..
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You could wait for the Behringer UB-Xa (Oberheim OB-Xa clone)
Old 20th April 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo ➡️
You could wait for the Behringer UB-Xa (Oberheim OB-Xa clone)
Oh didn't know it was coming. Well that could be the ticket then.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmodel ➡️
But is there anything that'd sound similar to OB-6, but be $1500 max?
You could get a second-hand Oberheim Matrix-6 / 6R / 1000.

Or wait for the Behringer OB-Xa.
Old 20th April 2018
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
If the Behringer UB-Xa sounds like the OB-Xa, it will still be much different than the OB-6. I own an OB-8 and OB-6. There is little comparison between the two. You may be waiting a while for the Behringer. I would guess mid to late 2019. Watch for used OB-6 modules as they may fall into your ballpark range.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 ➡️
If the Behringer UB-Xa sounds like the OB-Xa, it will still be much different than the OB-6.
Given that the OP is also talking about the OB-X software I don't think that he is fixated on the exact sound of the OB-6, but rather wants something Oberheimish sounding.
Lives for gear

Quote:
If the Behringer UB-Xa sounds like the OB-Xa, it will still be much different than the OB-6. I own an OB-8 and OB-6. There is little comparison between the two. You may be waiting a while for the Behringer. I would guess mid to late 2019. Watch for used OB-6 modules as they may fall into your ballpark range.
I find that they do share sound similarities.

YouTube

Mainly it's the darkness, density and "growl".

Particularly why I didn't like the other synths was that Sledge 2 sounds way too "liquid", it has not enough contrast, whereas the DM6/DM12 just sounds thin (it doesn't have low-end).

The OB-X doesn't sound bad, but it doesn't have the "fineness" that the OB-6 has. The OB-6 sounds like an expensive sedan feels.

Also if I recall correctly the OB-X software emulations actually remind more of the OB-6 hardware, rather than OB-X. Perhaps because the digitality "softens" the sound in that way.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Watch for used OB-6 modules as they may fall into your ballpark range.
Yeah actually the OB-6 Desktop is more reasonably priced, even though it still probably carries some "Oberheim premium". Well, it's a great synth so it would be worth it.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Oberheim Matrix-6 keyboard / rack (six-voice, 4-pole filters + DCOs, split / layer, matrix mod)

DSI Mopho x4 (four-voice, 2-/4-pole filters + DCOs, matrix mod)
DSI Prophet '08 (eight-voice, 2-/4-pole filters + DCOs, split / layer, matrix mod)

Rhodes Chroma Polaris keyboard (six-voice, 4-pole filters + VCOs)
Sequential Prophet-600 with Gligli upgrade (six voice, 4-pole filters + VCOs)

Also consider a Tom Oberheim SEM (single-voice, 2-pole multimode filter + VCOs) to get you started
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would wait for the Behringer UB-Xa .
I have the DSI OB6 and like it very much but yes , its very expensive, maybe too expensive for what it is TBO but its an amazing synth !
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I find that they do share sound similarities.
I agree they have similarities, in that both have the Oberheim sound, but take my word for it, OB-6 and OB-X/Xa/8 are far different. The original OBies don't come close to what the OB-6 is capable of. However, the OB-6 has a polished sound, maybe partly due to modern stable components. It lacks the organic rawness of a vintage VCO. I compare OB-6 more to a vintage DCO. Don't get me wrong, I love my OB-6. What it does, it does fantastic. It can do "non-Oberheim sounds" (for lack of better term) better than the originals. Actually, I would take the OB-6 over nearly any vintage DCO polysynth.

As tux99 mentioned, if you are just looking for the general Oberheim sound on a budget, Matrix6/1000 are your best option.
Old 20th April 2018
Deleted cec0d5b
Someone has to say it... Korg Prologue 8?
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Matrix-6 will probably not satisfy you. Compared to the OB-6 it sounds smoother, warmer and darker (and better IMHO) but it's kind of relaxed and dreamy, clearly less ballsy and punchy than the OB-6.

I would just wait for the UB-Xa.
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
You could probably find a used Prophet 6 module for about that. I got a new “demo” model for $1650. When the OB-6 came out I felt like I liked its tone a bit more, but since then I’ve changed my mind and I’m glad I went with the Prophet 6. There’s a Youtube video where someone tried making the same presets on both synths. It’s pretty interesting. They can sound close. Obviously they have cases where they diverge too.

Don’t dismiss the power of RePro. It is a serious synth and if I were strapped for cash I’d sell off my hardware and just use it. (And other good emulations) Continue using it and OP-X Pro until you have the money for the OB-6 or the Behringer clone comes out. By that time, you might not care about getting any hardware at all.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just save a few hundred more and get a used or b-stock module. Shouldn’t be hard to find at $1700/$1800.
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
A long time ago on a forum far away, there was a nice question. "Imagine if your studio burns down and the insurance gives you the money for everything that was in there at its proper worth (i.e. in case of samplers what you paid, in case of 303s what they're going for ). What would you buy?"

My answer included a Minimoog. I looked for a lot of alternatives before I finally paid the full price for the original.

If you fall in love with a machine, nothing else will do the job.

So an OB6 is expensive, but it's not too expensive, because everything else will have you scratching your head - "if I had the real thing, what would this sound like?" And it's downright cheap compared to a CS80 or fine grand piano, and some people will fall in love with those and they'll be off even worse.

Save for a longer time. Your future self will thank you.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted cec0d5b ➡️
Someone has to say it... Korg Prologue 8?
I ran one of those through its paces at NAMM this year. I felt it was a bit pedestrian in tone. I could see others really liking it. I have a few VA synths that cover that stuff. Definitely not Oberheim like and I wouldn't put it and the OB-6 in the same sentence.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Didn't a few people say that with the mixer levels turned down properly that the filter 3 on the JD-XA can get into OB territory?

Here's a bad audio video someone made:

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ.MacReady ➡️
Didn't a few people say that with the mixer levels turned down properly that the filter 3 on the JD-XA can get into OB territory?

Here's a bad audio video someone made:

Not bad.

I've actually wanted the JD-XA just because it's architecturally a cool synth.

The JD-XA even sounds fatter at least in some cases!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Not bad.

I've actually wanted the JD-XA just because it's architecturally a cool synth.

The JD-XA even sounds fatter at least in some cases!
I've wanted one too. I want to consolidate things down and the JD-XA can do a lot. I'm also used to Roland's programing style from using their workstations (the only menu diving synths I've bothered to) so I may be more comfortable with the menu diving aspects but I haven't gone and read the manual yet so I could be wrong.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
A System 8. or a used Ob6
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
i second the jdxa. it can really do the ob6 impression very well. nice duo. just get the matte overlays for the jdxa... makes the synth a million times better to look at. (not shown in 1st pic)
Attached Thumbnails
A synth like OB-6 that's not as expensive as OB-6?-img_1201.jpg   A synth like OB-6 that's not as expensive as OB-6?-img_1254.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbmusics ➡️
i second the jdxa. it can really do the ob6 impression very well
It's sister synth in the brood the Integra 7 also has those OB patches and also does a decent job emulating certain OB stuff.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Of all the current analog polysynths, the Prologue actually seem to be the one that's most OB6-like in tone. Check the Prologue thread, where multiple people familiar with both synths, and who've had the chance to try the Prologue, report this.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 ➡️
You could get a second-hand Oberheim Matrix-6 / 6R / 1000.
I don't find that these sound enough like the OB-6. Upon listening to demos in youtube, they seem to have some of the warmth and some of the bite (but not as polished as in the OB-6), they sound "midi-ish" (you know the term for ****ty MIDI-synths but with some analogueness. But I find that they totally lack the dynamicism of the OB-6. Probably would pick a softsynth over these, e.g. Synthmaster.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Not many inexpensive synths have state variable filters...
Old 21st April 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. ➡️
Of all the current analog polysynths, the Prologue actually seem to be the one that's most OB6-like in tone. Check the Prologue thread, where multiple people familiar with both synths, and who've had the chance to try the Prologue, report this.
I wish that had turned out to be true, but alas it didn't. Swapped my Prologue 16 for an OB-6 desktop (with a Matrix-6 as controller).

To the original poster: just save for it.
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
DSI Pro2 has two filters, one that might get you close to OB territory, it's not fully polyphonic but you can play 4 notes with not much fuss. Virus also has some stunning OB emulations amongst it's 10 million presets.
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

What sets it apart are the polyphonic state variabls VCFs. Its just not a terribly common thing.

I agree. Be patient, save your money, and get what you want. Look, buying expensive synthesizers is not pissing money away, ever. If you wind up not liking it, or maybe it just doesn’t suit you long term, then you turn around and sell it. I’ve yet to have any trouble selling any of my gear. Its an investment. You are saving studio/synthesizer equity, which you will put towards the OB-6. In a sense, you’re leasing it. If you decide to keep it forever, then its quite a deal, at what it costs. If you only keep it two years and sell it for $200 less than you payed for it, then thats still not a bad deal.
Old 21st April 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. ➡️
Sorry. I have an Ob6 and spent quite some time with the prologue and besides them being both synths I didn’t find their sound at all alike. The Ob6 was pricey but in my humble opinion the lick. It actually cost me more trying other synths first to save money. Should just buy what u want in the first place
📝 Reply