Moog Prodigy Problem - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog Prodigy Problem
Old 6th April 2018
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Moog Prodigy Problem

Hi,

I just received a Moog Prodigy in the mail this week. It's the later version, with CV and Gate.

It sounds great but when I have the cutoff below 0, I get little random clicks in the output.

I've tried to make them go away with adjustments to the envelopes and all of the other controls. No luck. But with the filter cutoff down below 0, I don't get them.

They are tiny clicks, but they get recorded and are disruptive.

Any clue what this might be? Do you know of any synth technicians in the central NY area?

Thanks.
Old 6th April 2018
Gear Nut

Turn off your cellphone? I always start there with audio clicks.
Old 6th April 2018
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Not sure if it's exactly the same thing you're experiencing, but I own two Prodigys and they both sometimes have those faint random electrical clicks/pops. One is the earlier version with only audio out and the other is same as yours, the second version with CV/Gate external control sockets.

Yes they can only really be heard when the cutoff is low enough or if using the smoother triangle waves. The frustrating thing is that they are completely random and intermittent. There's no way to re-create the clicks/pops with an exact setting or function or action. And they are very, very faint...almost to the point of nitpickery, but they do happen.

I suspect, although I can't be 100% positive, that it might be something to do with the key contacts, maybe an age issue. If you control it via CV/Gate from another controller keyboard there are no clicks/pops. I've noticed that when playing on the Prodigy's keyboard if I'm hitting a bunch of notes very quickly in succession the clicks/pops show up more often. The only way to sort of describe it on mine is that it's like some kind of weak static energy builds up and then is released at total random. But it doesn't always occur and I can't make it happen on cue.

Both of my Prodigys have been serviced, cleaned and re-capped. I don't really want to go through the hassle of replacing the key contacts. It's not a huge problem in the end. They are vintage machines, so not always super pristine or quiet.
Old 6th April 2018 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by icelander โžก๏ธ
Not sure if it's exactly the same thing you're experiencing, but I own two Prodigys and they both sometimes have those faint random electrical clicks/pops. One is the earlier version with only audio out and the other is same as yours, the second version with CV/Gate external control sockets.

Yes they can only really be heard when the cutoff is low enough or if using the smoother triangle waves. The frustrating thing is that they are completely random and intermittent. There's no way to re-create the clicks/pops with an exact setting or function or action. And they are very, very faint...almost to the point of nitpickery, but they do happen.

I suspect, although I can't be 100% positive, that it might be something to do with the key contacts, maybe an age issue. If you control it via CV/Gate from another controller keyboard there are no clicks/pops. I've noticed that when playing on the Prodigy's keyboard if I'm hitting a bunch of notes very quickly in succession the clicks/pops show up more often. The only way to sort of describe it on mine is that it's like some kind of weak static energy builds up and then is released at total random. But it doesn't always occur and I can't make it happen on cue.

Both of my Prodigys have been serviced, cleaned and re-capped. I don't really want to go through the hassle of replacing the key contacts. It's not a huge problem in the end. They are vintage machines, so not always super pristine or quiet.
Thank you for your post. It sounds exactly like the problem I'm having. Static electricity is the best way to describe it. I think these clicks occur more frequently and are louder on my Prodigy though. It is very annoying. In a mix with drums I doubt you can really hear the clicks, but they are fairly prominent when playing solo.

Key contacts could be something worth looking into. Do your pops sound just after a key is pressed? If you press a key in quick succession, how many clicks do you get? For me it's around one every five to eight presses.

I don't understand how opening up the filter makes the clicks go away. Does that make sense to you?

Thanks
Old 6th April 2018
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Sounds like yours might be significantly worse than either of mine, assuming it's the same thing or a similar issue. The clicks/pops I sometimes hear are very, very faint and really intermittent. I would not describe mine as prominent by any stretch. When recording, maybe in one out of ten takes it would even happen. And, again, only with low cutoff type of sounds. It's basically not a major issue with mine. I'd feel like an idiot trying to demonstrate it and get someone (a repair tech for example) to hear it. It's only from hours of use and close listening with headphones that you'd even notice it. The tech would probably be looking at me like "this dude's crazy, there's nothing wrong with this synth".

Yes, the clicks/pops seem to always be associated with keyboard use, they happen just after key presses. Single click/pop. That's why I suspect key contacts or something related. Prodigy key contacts are in "assemblies", groups of 6 or 7 together. I think Syntaur sells some harvested from dead Prodigys. On mine, there really isn't any number of key presses between clicks/pops. Just totally random.

The reason you don't hear anything with the filter open is pretty straightforward. The harmonic content of the sound is simply masking/covering the clicks/pops. For example, with a sawtooth wave and high cutoff it completely covers up the noise, you'd never hear anything so faint underneath. If you did hear it then it would indicate some other serious issue in the audio path or a problem elsewhere in the circuit.

If you're able to hook it up via CV/Gate control, see if the click/pops are gone when playing it from an external keyboard controller. I use a Kenton MIDI to CV box. You'll need a Cinch-Jones cable for the gate, unless yours has 1/4" gate input or some other mods.
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
icelander,

I took my Prodigy in for service and it's fixed now. There were three bad op amps. Thought you might want to know.
๐Ÿ“ Reply