Yamaha RY30 question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha RY30 question
Old 29th March 2018
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Yamaha RY30 question

Hi All,
just got an RY30 and must say I like it quite a lot after 1-2 days, there is just one things that I find really tricky to comprehend:

When I play a pattern and I want to edit, say, the snaredrum filter - how do I know which actual voice I need to access? The RY30 comes with probably 25 factory snaredrums distributed over the different pad banks and I cannot believe I simply have to guess ("could be RevSnare2") which pad bank and voice I have to navigate to? tedious!

also, is there a way to save custom pad banks with customized voices without messing up the original voices as well? or will I need cards for that?

other than that: wow! the experimental potential is huge!
Old 29th March 2018
Deleted cda76ca
I think you have to write over the factory patches to make new sounds.

It’s a good engine, the filters self oscillate and the pitch range is very good.
Old 29th March 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz ➡️
It’s a good engine, the filters self oscillate and the pitch range is very good.
It's not good value tho. Considering what else is out there they are selling for 3x what they're worth imo. There is not a lot of middling gear that is so overblown.
Old 31st March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by somant ➡️
When I play a pattern and I want to edit, say, the snaredrum filter - how do I know which actual voice I need to access?
I think the best approach is to put it into step write mode and audition each of the sounds in every pad bank until you see it show up on the display. But keep in mind that there's nothing to indicate when a sound isn't used in any pad bank. You should organize the sounds so that all of them are assigned to a pad bank.
Old 31st March 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold ➡️
It's not good value tho. Considering what else is out there they are selling for 3x what they're worth imo. There is not a lot of middling gear that is so overblown.
Whats your problem with the price?
Name a digital drum machine that does more? (I know of one)
Its got the kind of specs most drum machines today can only dream about..
Sounds great to if you know enough about it..
Old 31st March 2018 | Show parent
Deleted cda76ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold ➡️
I paid £100 a couple of years back so I’m happy.
I don’t think I’d pay much more than that, but to be honest I am more of a sampler fan than a drum machine enthusiast.
Old 31st March 2018
Gear Nut
Check this thread:

gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1202307-yamaha-ry30-noob-question.html

Been using the RY30 since the 90s (and gigging some with it through the years too) and think it's still a great unit!

The sound source is flexible enough for creating an infinite number of new sounds out of the limited wave set. Wave expansion cards are not essential in my opinion. External processing is the key! And you can also always sequence an external sound source, a sampler for example, over MIDI from the RY30 to expand the sonic potential. RY30's filters are slightly lackluster and glitchy, but still highly useful for drum synthesis purposes. (Low pass filter will let a HF transient through when an instrument is triggered, but that's not usually much of a problem with drum sounds.)

The sequencer is really tight and the "parameter locking" style on-trigger parameter sequencing is awesome! (I suspect Elektron might have originally gotten the idea from the RY30!)

I recommend using some sort of processing when working with the RY30, as the sound "out of the box" may appear a bit bland. Even just driving an analog desk does wonders to the sound! I often use a digital guitar multiFX unit to beef up the sound a bit when programming patterns and replace it with more serious multi channel processing at a later stage.
Old 21st December 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I also just got a RY30

the way I understand it is that changes are saved instantly to Instruments and Pattern Sets.

Pattern Sets are just mapping the Instruments to Keys

And Voice Edit allows you to edit the Instruments.

If you do Voice editing on an Instrument it's instantly changed in all Pattern Sets that have the Instrument applied to a Pad.

correct?
📝 Reply